Thoughts on IF Steel Deluxe???- Mtbr.com
    Nev
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thoughts on IF Steel Deluxe???

Thinking of getting a frame.
    Anybody have any experience with one? Thoughts, heard anything?

I have an 04 s-works epic I'm keeping -- sweetnes. Have another bike I'll be selling the frame and want to move the parts to something else. Was going to get a more squishy full suspension but most what I'd get are all disc specific, but I don't have disc wheels or brakes to move over. I have a titanium road bike. Thinking a steel hard tail will give me the totally different experience I'm looking to own, and other than the epic. Which is afterall, only firm when it's flat, ANY other bumps I'm riding full suspension.

Anybody have some thoughts on this?

jl
    climb
    I have one, and I love it. But I'm also in the process of putting together a full-squishy. I would do a search on the discussion board and see what everyone has to say. They are coming out with a FS Ti bike this fall...
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

Feb 2004

I have one and,

as my screen name implies, I love it. I've had it about 3 years. I don't ride super technical stuff, so I can't comment on that. I have spoken to other owners who do and say they don't miss their old duallies at all. Of course, they aren't made for hucking 10ft drops. The only reasons I would part with it are if I were getting another one (why), or if this one were unrepairable and I was getting another one (Oh, that's why).

Happy Trails,
    Bob

Gulpttub

You can't go wrong with an IF

I ride a steel deluxe and love it (see avatar). Check out ifrider.com and ifbikes.com for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Nev

I have an 04 s-works epic I'm keeping -- sweetnes. Have another bike I'll be selling the frame and want to move the parts to something else. Was going to get a more squishy full suspension but most what I'd get are all disc specific, but I don't have disc wheels or brakes to move over. I have a titanium road bike. Thinking a steel hard tail will give me the totally different experience I'm looking to own, and other than the epic. Which is afterall, only firm when it's flat, ANY other bumps I'm riding full suspension.

mtbr member

If

They are also prototyping a different model using the Tungsten Electrode full suspension design. IF Owners who register their IFs on the site have access to photos of it in the members only section of the site.

Aug 2004

If?

I'm looking into getting a steel frame .... um ... Jamis, Ionic, Zion, etc. But WHAT is an IF .. and do they have a websit?

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    They are also prototyping a different model using the Tungsten Electrode full suspension design. IF Owners who register their IFs on the site have access to photos of it in the members only section of the site.

Nev
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fanfare
    I'm looking into getting a steel frame .... um ... Jamis, Ionic, Zion, etc. But WHAT is an IF .. and do they have a websit?
    http://www.ifbikes.com/

Mar 2004

Kish

Quote Originally Posted by Nev

IF is good, for about same price you could go custom steel. Jim kish teaches the TI frame building class at UBI he does steel also. Really good builder and nice guy!!!
    www.kishbike.com

Feb 2004

IF not custom?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark
    IF is good, for about same price you could go custom steel. Jim kish teaches the TI frame building class at UBI he does steel also. Really good builder and nice guy!!!
    www.kishbike.com
    I would bet that the folks at IF would be surprised to hear that they don't build custom frames. They once provided either "off the shelf" or custom. But since about 2002 they have been basically pure custom. By the way, they also offer custom TI frames and are about to release their custom dual bounce bike.

I guess you could say that they are custom after all...

Happy trails,
    Bob

Mar 2004

Custom

Quote Originally Posted by IndyFan
    I would bet that the folks at IF would be surprised to hear that they don't build custom frames. They once provided either "off the shelf" or custom. But since about 2002 they have been basically pure custom. By the way, they also offer custom TI frames and are about to release their custom dual bounce bike.

I guess you could say that they are custom after all...

Happy trails,
    Bob
    I did not say that they did not build custom frames, it depends if Nev was buying off the shelf from a shop or he was going to have one made. They are as you said "basically custom" and there are mods that they will do as in tube selection and SS option and what not. It is not a secret that they build great bikes and im not disputing that, what i was saying is a full custom Kish steel retails for about $1100-$1300. He does Ti custom as well and is probably about the same price or less than a IF. I think IF's are great and i have a FAT city TI that is a killer riding bike probably built by one of the guys now at IF and if only 1 inch steerers were still around on manitou or marzocchi.
    When I think of custom I think- Kish, Desalvo, Land shark.
    I guess we will agree to disagree,
    Keep the rubber side down
    dirtshark

Feb 2004

I didn't mean to flame on you...

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark
    I did not say that they did not build custom frames, it depends if Nev was buying off the shelf from a shop or he was going to have one made. They are as you said "basically custom" and there are mods that they will do as in tube selection and SS option and what not. It is not a secret that they build great bikes and im not disputing that, what i was saying is a full custom Kish steel retails for about $1100-$1300. He does Ti custom as well and is probably about the same price or less than a IF. I think IF's are great and i have a FAT city TI that is a killer riding bike probably built by one of the guys now at IF and if only 1 inch steerers were still around on manitou or marzocchi.
    When I think of custom I think- Kish, Desalvo, Land shark.
    I guess we will agree to disagree,
    Keep the rubber side down
    dirtshark
    Mainly inform, but unfortunately I do get in a "mood" at my day job anymore. So, if I did get unruly, I do apologize. Yeah, the Deluxe has gone up a bit since I got mine. I think it's now about $1425, but that does include custom geometry and tubes, and their basic paint options (single colors or 2 color fades from their color pallette). The really fancy paint, like flames (which they are well known for), flowers, aliens or whatever does cost a bit.

About 1" forks. We have a customer at the shop (my "other" job- much better mood there) with a really sweet Merlin that is of the vintage for 1" steerer tubes. He wanted to get a suspension fork for it. At first we were skeptical, but there are at least two makers we found that still make a 1" steerer suspension fork. They are RST and Marzzochi. Neither model was extremely high end, but at least there is an option there. So if your Fat City TI is fully rigid, and you want to make the change, you might look into it.

Bob

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Buy it

Bought a deluxe in '97. Sold it two years ago needed the money. Best bike I ever owned. One of the worst mistakes I ever made. My wife even says so. Buy one, flawless paint, welds and customer service.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

... and if we just ...

I've got a '97 as well- my precious... It is an amazing ride. It's been through many incarnations, currently 2x8, fat tires and a Thudbuster on it- semi FS for my 41 year old ass. Mine is an off the shelf model. I do wish it had a slightly longer wheelbase, as I live in a desert rock garden region.

I'm contemplating a 29'er and trying to figure out how to pay for it. Many have said "just sell the IF"- not even a possibility. There's something about my Deluxe that I can't see myself parting with. It's an intangible sense of value and quality that is hard to desrcribe. You won't regret it .

mtbr member
    Nov 2001
    what size do you ride?

i have a ti Indy Pendy that i may sell.

nice bikes

It's easy to like a frame that you spent over $1000 on... ... That said I've had a lot of bikes over the years and my independent is the best riding hardtail I've owned.

As was already pointed out - all sizes are "custom". For my own frame there were some features I wanted (karate monkey style rear dropouts so I could run ss or gears), otherwise I knew what the top tube length should be and I knew that I wanted the frame to be adjusted to run a 100mm travel fork. Everything else was left up to IF to determine, including the tubing size, which are optimized for your weight.

I ended up with a frame that had a 15" seat tube, 71.5 head tube angle, 72.0 seat angle, with 30.27" of stand over. Not sure how this matches up to other frames out there but it looks very "konaish" to me with the sloping top tube. I like the ride and it fits great, which is the most important thing.

mtbr member
    i have a 29r Deluxe singlespeed, it is great, nothing like a custom ride, especially for someone at the tall end of the spectrum(6'5"). My full-suspension bikes are gathering dust.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by somms
    i have a 29r Deluxe singlespeed, it is great, nothing like a custom ride, especially for someone at the tall end of the spectrum(6'5"). My full-suspension bikes are gathering dust.
    Any pics of that 29er?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbell
    Any pics of that 29er?
    yep, check it @ http://ifrider.com/register/singlespeed002.htm, upper left. I am replacing the surly fork with a vicious suspension-corrected fork in March.

Jan 2004

Just ordered mine!

After lots of debate on what type of bike to buy, I finally decided on an IF. Today the LBS placed the order for my Steel Deluxe. This is my first IF and I can't wait to get it. Hopefully IF delivers it within the next 6-8 weeks so that I can have it for the summer. I'll be sure to post pics...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn Mike
    After lots of debate on what type of bike to buy, I finally decided on an IF. Today the LBS placed the order for my Steel Deluxe. This is my first IF and I can't wait to get it. Hopefully IF delivers it within the next 6-8 weeks so that I can have it for the summer. I'll be sure to post pics...
    I think it is peak build season right now, so it could definitely be a while. Make sure your parts are all ordered. It really sucks to have your frame arrive after a long wait, then have to wait longer because certain parts are backordered.

mtbr member
    I got mine about a month ago...only took about a month to get once specs were finalized.

mtbr member
    Got mine in 97 and still love it as much as the day I bought it. If all goes well I'll be riding it in about an hour!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Details, man, we need details!

Hey, Mtn Mike, give us the details on your Indy Fab!!! I ordered mine on St. Patty's Day, and expect it to arrive in about two or three weeks. Mine: 29er Steel Deluxe, S&S couplings, custom pea green paint, 18 inch ST x 24.5 inch TT. Can't wait.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AllRounder
    Hey, Mtn Mike, give us the details on your Indy Fab!!! I ordered mine on St. Patty's Day, and expect it to arrive in about two or three weeks. Mine: 29er Steel Deluxe, S&S couplings, custom pea green paint, 18 inch ST x 24.5 inch TT. Can't wait.
    woooh, S&S couplings will be cool on that. mine is a 26" geary and includes a 19 inch ST, and a 10 degree sloping, 24.5" effective TT. I considered an EBB but decided that this one will be dedicated to pedaling with gears, and the NEXT one will be pure SS. It's gonna have a saffire pearl front half (with sterling emblem), fading to platinum metallic rear end, black IF stickers. ...pics to come....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    mine is a 26" geary and includes a 19 inch ST, and a 10 degree sloping, 24.5" effective TT. I considered an EBB but decided that this one will be dedicated to pedaling with gears, and the NEXT one will be pure SS. It's gonna have a saffire pearl front half (with sterling emblem), fading to platinum metallic rear end, black IF stickers. ...pics to come....
    Without turning this into the mutual-admiration IF club, I have to say Very Cool! Can't wait to see your pics. Mine is geared, as well, with no EBB. I came close to ordering the 26" wheels for ease of traveling w/ the S&S, but went with 29" in the end. And that is a great choice of colors - I was torn between platinum and saffire for my back up color. In the end, I went with a custom color that will either look like yummy split pea soup or sick dog puke. I'm a bit nervous how it will turn out. Regards . . .

-AR

Nev
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, I didn't go IF.
    I went Strong. And here it be:

At first I kinda freaked out on it, fit-wise. (Extremely early, before I got final parts and on dirt) But after some extremely minor tweaking I really freaked out -- for the good. This thing feels amazing. Steel frame. It's light, fast, responsive. Amazed how smooth it feels after being on squishies for the last 4 years. And it fits amazingly. Seriously, I hardly notice the bike at all. Zero regrets. Working with Carl was great. I got this as my forever do-anything bike, built on the tough side rather than fast/racing -- have another bike for that. But I raced it last weekend on a whim due to peer pressure, first time ever (before this I only do endurance 6, 12, 24hr races). I took the Strong. Lined up dead last because I registered at the last minute. Got stuck behind early crashes, then slowpokes on the single track hills I couldn't pass, dropped a chain but still ended up 6th a minute away from the podium! "I easily could've..." But the bike was a dream the whole time. Not one single discomfort or performance issue on the bike. A hilly, loose and rocky course. I loved it.
    I recommend Strong.

mtbr member

1" fork response

I was looking at this forum, saw this thread, thought I'd comment on the following: You can get Marz to retrofit a 1" steerer onto even the highend forks. For example, one of my best friends has a brand new Marathon SL 80mm (the racy model) on his early 90's custom Bontrager hardtail. He is a shopowner, so he did know the right people to call and what to say...but any good LBS should be able to do the same. Peace, mike

QUOTE=IndyFan]Mainly inform, but unfortunately I do get in a "mood" at my day job anymore. So, if I did get unruly, I do apologize. Yeah, the Deluxe has gone up a bit since I got mine. I think it's now about $1425, but that does include custom geometry and tubes, and their basic paint options (single colors or 2 color fades from their color pallette). The really fancy paint, like flames (which they are well known for), flowers, aliens or whatever does cost a bit.

About 1" forks. We have a customer at the shop (my "other" job- much better mood there) with a really sweet Merlin that is of the vintage for 1" steerer tubes. He wanted to get a suspension fork for it. At first we were skeptical, but there are at least two makers we found that still make a 1" steerer suspension fork. They are RST and Marzzochi. Neither model was extremely high end, but at least there is an option there. So if your Fat City TI is fully rigid, and you want to make the change, you might look into it.

Bob[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I had a similar search and found that white brothers will make a custom fork with a 1" steerer. Pricey but great forks. http://www.whitebrotherscycling.com
    And no matter who I talked to I could not get marzocchi to make a 1" fork.
    Also pace in england makes them but difficult to get here in the states. And they are having a sale on 1" forks- https://www.pacecycles.com/newsstory.asp?id=184
    I was fast once, but then what fast was changed...

You Are What You Is
    I need more IF pictures! I'm in the market for a SS 29er and I think IF is going to be my choice. Any pictures of IF 29ers would be much appreciated.

Hey Somms, I sent you an email about yours.

mtbr member
    How many photos do you want

IF Singlespeeds

You Are What You Is
    Thanks, I've actually spent quite a bit of time at ifrider recently. There's only a handful of 29ers though. I was hoping to see more SS 29ers. I'm still using that site to choose my paint/decal combo. It's a great resource.

mtbr member

29ers

Ah well if you can wait until the Singlespeed World Champs in August I am sure there will be some in Pennsylvania you can see in the flesh

It might also be worth giving Eric or Frank at Mt. Nittany wheelworks a call as they may know of some people who are riding the big wheels and might be prepared to share photos...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk
    I need more IF pictures! I'm in the market for a SS 29er and I think IF is going to be my choice. Any pictures of IF 29ers would be much appreciated.

Hey Somms, I sent you an email about yours.

here is another picture of mine, I am running a wide TI flat bar now, and I am waiting on Vicious for a suspension corrected fork, I am happy running rigid although I may get a 80mm reba at some point. I'll e-mail you the measurements I have by this weekend, but I suggest you measure yourself carefully and hand it off to IF.

You Are What You Is
    Quote Originally Posted by somms
    here is another picture of mine, I am running a wide TI flat bar now, and I am waiting on Vicious for a suspension corrected fork, I am happy running rigid although I may get a 80mm reba at some point. I'll e-mail you the measurements I have by this weekend, but I suggest you measure yourself carefully and hand it off to IF.
    Thanks somms. I definitely have a pretty good idea of the geometry that I want, but some measurements as they relate specifically to a 29er I'm not as familiar with, like chainstay length and head and seat tube angles.

Jan 2004

still waiting.....

My Delux should get here any day now! You'll see pics posted soon!!

mtbr member
    Here's my old gal. 8 years old and still going strong.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Here is a shot of my recently built IF 29er. Still dialing it in and don't have enough hours on it for a full review, but I am very happy with it so far.

-AR

mtbr member
    IF there's one complaint I hear from IF riders, it's that there could be more tire clearance between the chainstays. There's not alot of room for 2.3+ and a little mud.

It's a relatively minor complaint, and IF I had to order a custom from someone, it'd probably be IF. Their proprietary disk tab/dropout and great graphics set them apart from the rest.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The main clearance issue with IF's is due to the fact that they use round S bent chainstays and dont like to ovalize anywhere......

personally id just get a ByStickel and not deal with clearance issues....but i have heard the Stickel factory is only producing limited quantities due to the fact that the owner takes his 25 workers out riding 5 days a week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    IF there's one complaint I hear from IF riders, it's that there could be more tire clearance between the chainstays. There's not alot of room for 2.3+ and a little mud.

It's a relatively minor complaint, and IF I had to order a custom from someone, it'd probably be IF. Their proprietary disk tab/dropout and great graphics set them apart from the rest.
    To be honest it's not a huge issue, at least not for me. I've got a frame that predates the addition of s-bend stays. I'll admit that 2.0 tires are about as big as you can go on the older frames. But it's really a pure xc bike IMHO, no need for huge tires. You just gotta ride smooth like in the good ole days.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Here is a shot of my tire clearance. I asked for room for ExiWolfs. Currently running a Motoraptor 2.1 tire. No problems with clearance, Clarance.

-AR
    Last edited by AllRounder; 06-01-2005 at 06:09 AM.

mtbr member

Jeeze...

Now I'm feeling like I'm being mocked...

Like I said, they're great bikes. I had one once, and my ex still has one that she adores. Their full custom option has added in a lot more value, and after talking with Matt Bracken for a while at a Virginia event, I am even more impressed with them. They and Seven have set the bar high.

What do they charge for their head badge, anyway?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Now I'm feeling like I'm being mocked... What do they charge for their head badge, anyway?
    Hey, Steve. I edited the message to delete my flippant comment about the headbadge. Major failure to communicate on my part! Mockery was the furthest thing from my intention! Your bikes and headbadges are some of the coolest and most creative designs out there. I am sort of local (Alexandria) and met you last summer at your shop. I still want to send you my Rivendell road frame to be retrofit with S&S couplings and hope to ride a ByStickel lugged fixie someday, with the coolest-of-cool picture frame headbadge!

IF charges $100 for the sterling headbadge, btw, which is why I went with the decal.

-AR

mtbr member

The internet...

No offense taken! I was just goofing around, but am allergic to E-motives, so I rarely put in the little smiley faces. And people rarely get my lame-arse jokes.

Expect a big announcement when I finally close on a new house and enter into Phase II of ByStickel. I'm hoping to steal away just a few of IF's customers... but in the meantime, I recommend them; )

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Well my Deluxe finally arrived last Friday. Spent the weekend building it up at the local shop, they were pretty busy so it took longer than it could have. Finally got to ride it offroad today. Pretty sweet. It needs a bit more dialing in, (lower the front tire pressure, a bit more air in the fork, lower the stem a hair etc). I climbs really well, I cleaned some climbs I normally do in my little chainring with the middle one on the IF. It's also smoother than I thought it would be. Not sure why, maybe it's just going back to steel after riding alum bikes. I was a little concerned about the sizing that Matt at IF had drawn up for me, but after talking with him I decided to go with it. He was spot on, the frame fits great, paint looks great (silver metallic to intense blue metallic).bike rides great.

You Are What You Is
    C'mon meackerman, I need pics!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Cool-blue Rhythm

Yeah, I know, no pics-didn't happen. I need to bring my camera in to work, since that's where the bike lives. We have a mountain bike park (Rockville) about 1/2 a mile up the road. So a couple of us ride from work a 2-3 times a week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    C'mon meackerman, I need pics!
    Here the are (I hope):

Jun 2005
    sorry you all wasted your money but there are much better frames out there for the money!!
    JFR-

Jun 2005
    Hey why is IF team GREEN?

because 90% of the time there stoned!!

Yes, you over pay a lot for a frame that somebody made when they on drugs!

Go to pedros and check them out and take a smell,stop by the factory,,,,,, check out all the empty beers they had when they build your frame.

Tyler and Lloyd, I've done it both with you!