Test ride a Chumba XCL in Virginia area- Mtbr.com

Aug 2006

Test ride a Chumba XCL in Virginia area

If you'd like to test ride one of these babies and you live in or near Virginia give me a shout. I'll bring the bike to you. I'll follow up with the complete specs on the bike and pics ......

Mike
    Last edited by rusog; 08-30-2006 at 02:20 PM.

Aug 2006

The XCL is Here!!!

I'm loading the pics now but here is the component list...

Fork FOX TALAS 32 RLC

Wheelset
    DT Swiss Ex 4.1

Cranks
    FSA V Drive Mega Exo

Brakes
    Avid Juicy 7

Rear derailleur
    Sram XO Carbon

Front derailleur
    Shimano XTR E-type

Shifters
    Sram X9

Bars
    Tru Vativ Team

Stem
    Tru Vativ Team

Seat
    WTB Rocket V

Seatpost
    Tru Vativ Team

Headset
    WTB Momentum

Tires
    WTB Moto Raptor 2.2

Grips
    WTB

Chain
    Sram

Chain Stay Protector
    Lizard Skins

Aug 2006

Jan 2004
    Beautiful. If anyone is thinking of one of these, Performancebike.com has a great sale on the XTR e-type front derailleur.

Aug 2006

Here's a quick pic of the complete build. I'll get better and more detailed ones up tomorrow.

I finally got this baby on the trail at Wakefield tonight. HOLY CRAP!!! Now understand I am an average rider at best, and it is not dialed in yet and I need to put in a few hours to break her in, but WOW!

I"d like to send a shout out to Randy , the Owner of Filz Built Custom Mountain Bikes who was the wrench for my build kit as my mechanic was out of town.

When i first climbed on the XCL it felt like a chopper. Ten minutes of adjusting fixed most of that and I will fine tune the rest over the next couple of days. It is most definitely different than my GF 29er HT which is very upright.

I rode a simple local trail which has a 3.3 mile loop of singletrack with a couple of logs, switchbacks, rocks, wooden bridges, short climbs, sand, and a short wide open fire road (kind of).

The trail begins with a steep, short downhill to a hard ride and dips down to a rocky creek crossing, then opens up to a short open burst and a man made rocky section leading to a wooden bridge. The first time I rode this section I crashed making the hard right turn and was bounced off the rocky section of the trail. Well, the Chumba took that turn and looked back at me like "you ready to go?", sailed across the creek, and cruised over the rocks like a cadillac. I was so giddy I stopped on the wooden bridge and looked back in disbelief, checking to see if the rocks were still there.

The Chumba XCL rolls over bumps, rocks, and logs like they aren't even there, and she'll laugh at you if you corner too slow. I'd step on the pedal and she would spring forward and snap my head back. I felt like I was riding a horse that was quivering and chomping at the bit to be given the reigns so he could start racing.

So much for the "it'll be hard to step back down to a 26" comments.

I was having so much fun I continued to ride as the sun was setting , without lights, I couldn't distinguish shadows on the trail from obstacles but it didn't matter since the XCL would eat up anything in it's path.

I still feel like I'm sitting a tad far back but that is probably a personal thing. The only disappointment I had today was that I forgot my lights and had to stop riding. Well, kind of, I just waited a few minutes until the moon came up and went back out to ride some more....

Members who have read this thread: 0