Tall EVO Rider questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Tall EVO Rider questions

I am considering an EVO as my next bike. Looks like a great bike all around, but I am a little concerned about the sizing based on some of the reviews I have read and some comments on this board.

I am about 6'4", Maybe 190 in the beginning of the summer, less towards the end, and have approximately a 34" inseam.

Am I going to be way out on the seat post?
    Will the front wheel be extremely light on climbs at this height?
    Are there any other riders of similar (or larger build) that care to comment on the ride quality?

Thanks.

yarrrp
    May 2007

tt plus stem length

The EVO has a longer than average top tube, which allows you to run a shorter stem. That being said; how long of a stem do you like to run, and what fork too. If you run something with adjustable travel then it is a fairly moot point because the lowering of the suspension puts your center of gravity further forward, thus keeping the front end down. That along with stem length, maybe in the 70mm department, and the very nice seat tube angle of about 71 would keep you balanced on climbs and nice and back for the descending. The best part is if you do go ahead and get the EVO you will have a bike that can handle your size and weight very comfortably, and you will feel very confident in the bike. Which is why it is silly to run light expensive parts you are scared of breaking. Yarrrrrr

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ortedd
    I am considering an EVO as my next bike. Looks like a great bike all around, but I am a little concerned about the sizing based on some of the reviews I have read and some comments on this board.

I am about 6'4", Maybe 190 in the beginning of the summer, less towards the end, and have approximately a 34" inseam.

Are there any other riders of similar (or larger build) that care to comment on the ride quality?

Thanks.
    The ride quality is excellent on the Evo. I am nowhere near your height but weigh over 200lbs and the Evo is very clyde worthy and ride quality does not suffer for heavy folks. It comes down to adjusting the fork and rear shock properly.

At 6'4" you will be quite far out the back on the Evo and are at the upper end of large/xl sizes for most brands of mtbs. Chumba will do a custom frame for you if you want. Try to test the Evo and see how it feels with the seat post at maximum height and take it from there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Finding one to test ride so far has been the challenge. . .

Comparing the geometry to my current bike (a XC hard tail) they are pretty similar, I guess the biggest concern would be over extended seat posts and being to far over the rear wheel for climbs. .

EVO/current
    Top Tube: 23.5 / 24
    Seat Angle: 72 / 73
    Seat post: 21 / 19.3

Not super different, in terms of angles and top tube. The biggest difference is in the seat tube. Will the extended seat post cause a slacker effective seat angle?

My current stem is 90mm but will most likely run something a bit shorter if I go with the EVO.

I am planning to go with a lyric 2 step or a 36 TALAS so I will have ride height adjustment.

Thanks for the input.

yarrrp
    May 2007

call ted

I think you should call ted or alan and talk to them about a custom front triangle. It may be the best way to go. I would go for the fox 36 talasl, but the newer 2steps are pretty good too.

mtbr member
    What is the TT and ST length of the current bike you are on - and how does it feel? That will be a good starting point.

A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Comparing the EVO to my current bike:
    EVO vs. current
    Top Tube: 23.5 vs. 24
    Seat Tube: 21 vs. 19.3
    Head Tube Angle 69 vs. 71
    Seat Angle: 72 vs. 73
    Chain Stay 16.75 vs. 16.7

So with the exception of the Seat Tube, Seat angle and head tube they are pretty comparable.

I am pretty happy with the bikes balance overall. I am happy with geometry of the current bike and a more upright seating position. The front seems a little lighter in climbs then my previous bike (geometry unknown), but the stance is more comfortable for aggressive or technical riding.

I run a setback seat post, for climbing it is at about 6.75" of extension, lowered for more level trail riding, lower yet for technical riding. I stand a lot; especially since the current bike is a hard-tale.

My biggest concern and something that I have read in reviews is that due to the kink in the seat post, with the seat extended way out, this will push me further back in the cockpit (effective seat angle). I am planning on going with a ride height adjustable fork to help combat the light front end if I do go this way.

I am interested to hear your feedback, and would like to thank everyone for their suggestions and help.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ortedd

Thanks.
    You will be fine on the new 2008 Large Sized EVOs with the steeper seat angles. If you want to be positioned even more forward, go with a SDG saddle, or any saddle that allows you to position it closer to the stem.

-A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    cool thanks for the feedback

Members who have read this thread: 0