Sycip, Soulcraft, Steelman..Which one do u choose?- Mtbr.com

Poll: Sycip, Soulcraft, Steelman..Which one do u choose?

MSH
    mtbr member

Sycip, Soulcraft, Steelman..Which one do u choose?

OK...you have one choice to weld up your primo custom HT. Who do you choose? Obviously, each builder is top notch, but you can only choose one...which is it???

MSH

mtbr member

Stongframes

I put down my money and went with Carl Strong, great to work with and true custom builder. I got a Ti hardtail and have also got a rigid steel fork to go with it.

A Real Winner.
    Quiring Cycles. www.quiringcycles.net . Check it out. They are sweet.

No Justice = No Peace

Mike DeSalvo

His name, and his hands go on every bike. Hand made, one guy, TIG welded perfection in every bite.

He got my money
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

MSH
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies all!! I know of both DeSalvo and definitely Strong bikes...definitely nice rides for sure. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. Since I live in the SF Bay Area I targeted the poll specifically for these three local frame builders. At this point, it looks like Sycip and Soulcraft are neck and neck!!

MSH

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

What are you going to have built?

What are you planning on having them build you? I am getting a soulcraft, but I don't know if I want a plowboy or holly roller.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    What are you planning on having them build you? I am getting a soulcraft, but I don't know if I want a plowboy or holly roller.
    Nothing yet...I have been on full suspension bikes for the past 4 yrs now, since I graduated from my Yeti ARC aluminum hardtail. I mixed in a Yeti Ti ARC at one point, but ended up selling it about 1.5 yrs ago. Ever since riding one of my buddies IndyFab Deluxe on a 5 hrs epic in Durango I have always wanted to score a steel hardtail.

I would rather stick with a local frame builder and that's why I would choose one of these three. I have been to Brent Steelman's shop a couple of times and I must say I'm really, really impressed with his work, however, Brent's frames are also the most expensive...that's why I would probably lean towards Soulcraft or Sycip. If I ever spend the money on one of Brent's frames I would probably be getting a road frame, as opposed to, a mountain frame.

MSH

No Justice = No Peace

Soull Craft

Unless you are 30 something, independently wealthy, and down with the (rich) white boy hip-hop scene/mission bars/retro 70s/messenger chic clothing/weird facial hair.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You certainly won't go wrong with any of those three. If you want something a bit more curvacious you might consider a Retrotec. Heck, if you don't mind driving just a bit further you could even look into one of Sherwood's new steel 29'ers, or something from Kish, or...

Nice to have those kinds of options, isn't it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sycip- problem might be the looooong wait......

Soulcraft-problem might be having any input on your frame if you are finicky.....

Steelman..........not sure about the wait or the input issue(could be worth a phone call)

I wasn't Kung Fu fighting
    Jun 2005

A fourth option

If you are determined to stay bay area (ish) i'd go with curtis inglis... he's in Napa, is cheaper than all three of the others you mentioned, (I have no idea why a steelman is worth $1950.) and he does fillet brazing instead of tig. He'd have my vote. If your going outside the bay area, check out jim kish (www.kishbike.com) you'd have a hard time finding a better builder or a better guy.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bykegnurd
    If you are determined to stay bay area (ish) i'd go with curtis inglis... he's in Napa, is cheaper than all three of the others you mentioned....
    I agree...I should have added Inglis to the list. The Retrotec Half frame is just making me drool bigtime, so much that I would probably put it at the top of list right now. Thanks for the input

MSH

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Curtlo

Moved from CA in 2001 I think, but I don't think you can find a better deal for a custom/semi custom steel frame. He uses true temper tubes too, which I'm partial too...

mtbr member

Good job!

SYCIP custom frame

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ditto the Sycip...

here's one of my Sycips.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Roger, what yellow is that? Its beautiful..... Do you think that you could provide me with the RAL number? Ta, D

mtbr member

Here is a pic of my first Sycip mtb bike from 1992 stamped # 5, after thousands and thousands of miles later still rides awesome. Parts have been upgraded and recently
    had it repainted (ash gray)

pic also of newer 1 year old sycip bike (dark gray)

It is worth the long wait, one builder, hand made, simply the best.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'll drop Jeremy an email...

and see if he has the RAL listed down from when he built it. I couldn't find it in my old emails. It's a very cool color, it has a tint of orange/mustard in it that really makes it unique. I like it alot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Good job! soulcraft?

Hey MSH
    I sent you a private message about a soulcraft.
    You might be interested.
    bikermom in SC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger___
    and see if he has the RAL listed down from when he built it. I couldn't find it in my old emails. It's a very cool color, it has a tint of orange/mustard in it that really makes it unique. I like it alot.
    I really like it too. Does the colour come across well on the picture, or does it look noticably different in reality?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH
    Since I live in the SF Bay Area I targeted the poll specifically for these three local frame builders.
    I think Rock Lobster is in Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I am getting a soulcraft holyroller SS

How can you go wrong with a shop that is in a barn on a farm in Petaluma. Sean was a really cool guy, and spent a long time talking to me and answering tons of questions, and asking me lots of questions. The really cool part was that he treated me so well and he isn't even making any money on my frame, I won it at a local race.

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH
    I agree...I should have added Inglis to the list. The Retrotec Half frame is just making me drool bigtime, so much that I would probably put it at the top of list right now. Thanks for the input

MSH
    If you are even thinking Retrotech half.. DO IT! Those bike just scream style. I love those bikes..'sides, Curtis is a nice guy. Who wouldn't buy a frame from someone who goes to visit his dad in the hospital every day?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes, it comes across very well.

it's got a trippy orange mustard in the yellow that is really unique, especially with the metalic flake. Here's the RAL, Jeremy said he thought this was the color referred to as "Yo taxi!"

Its RAL 1028

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I too love that color!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger___
    here's one of my Sycips.
    That is actually really what I am looking for, an orangish yellow. I thought it would look really good with black componets and it does. Can you post anymore pictures? Maybe a few close ups.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Let me...

take some new pics this weekend and I'll post. I just got my Waltworks fork rigid(suspension corrected for 100 mm) in black it looks sweet! I'll try and take some pics this weekend and post them.

I agree the Yo Taxi color scheme with the all black components looks great!

illuminator82
    Jun 2004

Rick Hunter; Hunter Cycles

all of those frames are great!!!
    owned 3 steelmans; great bike but now a lot of coin. too much for a steel bike IMHO

go with a Hunter; fillet brazed wonder frames...reasonable price, top notch work most likely no wait.
    if you do not believe me Bike or Bicycling mag had a new buyer section this last year and Rick was in the picture doing the welds...
    he has a strong reputation!!!

mtbr member

SyCip

Quote Originally Posted by rogueturtle
    Sycip- problem might be the looooong wait......
    How long is a looooong wait?

My latest SyCip (I have 5) took a little over 7 weeks but, it was a full custom Titanium 29er. My steel SyCip's took around 5- 6 weeks, it's not that long really.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Well it only took me almost two years from my original post to decide which one, and the winner is.....

Soulcraft Holy Roller

Unfortunately, I won't get it until late November-early December, but I know it will be worth the wait.

MSH

ahb
    zoip.
    Apr 2005
    amazing. glad you finally decided. Soulcrafts are beautiful bikes and Sean is a good guy. You can't go wrong with a new bike from a local builder. they know what works on the trails around here....

Members who have read this thread: 0