surley pugsley- Mtbr.com

Thread: surley pugsley

mtbr member

surley pugsley

am i the only one who wants one? for what i'll never know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bighit; 10-04-2005 at 07:21 AM. Reason: pic

Feb 2005
    for some unknown reason i am also drawn to it and I hate purple wtf

mtbr member

go here

for some big good pics http://www.pbase.com/sdukes/day_3_05
    i hate purple too, but the 4in tires mock me! i would love to find a suspension fork that can handle them.

Mar 2004
    WTF do you need suspension forks for when you've got a 4" tyre?

mtbr member
    3 car accidents in 4yrs. its been a year and a half since i was last on a bike. i need a suspension fork, and at least a suspension post.
    Last edited by bighit; 10-05-2005 at 04:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit
    I want one too! Is that the only tire that you can put on it? I want something with big knobs on it that looks like it just came off a MX bike.
    Anybody know what a complete bike would cost?

Peace & Love
    give Larry Mettler a ring (mtnhighcyclery.com). He and his crew rode it at Interbike and I know Larry has ordered already at least one for my friend....and perhaps himself if I can remember so he can give you ideas but of course, it can be as expensive as you want it to be since the cost will be the other stuff.....

Unicycles are for clowns
    Feb 2005

Information

Looked at building these up. You have to get a bottom bracket that is 100mm wide, so that narrows your cranks options. You have to get an e-type front derailleur. For tires you use the Surly or get the Nokian Gazzaloddi 3.0 tires, they expand up to 3.7, so you can get really knobby. You can run suspension forks, however options should be Shiver SC, DC or other double crown forks. Surly is not inventing this design, check this website out http://www.wildfirecycles.com/fatbikes.html , these guys have been doing it longer.

Tame the Penguin!
    3 car accidents in 4yrs. its been a year and a half since i was last on a bike. i need a suspension fork, and at least a suspension post.
    You'd be blown away by how good the fatty tires work in regards to compression damping. I felt as though I was riding a 3" travel bike with just the tires running at 8psi. I'd suggest building it rigid...then adding a suspension fork later for it.
    Last edited by El Beastro; 10-17-2005 at 02:27 PM.

Tame the Penguin!
    A buddy of mine and I are both building our up. We already have the frames and misc components....mainly waiting on wheelsets from our wheelbuilder however rims are still on back order.

Here is a good thread from a friend of ours regarding his Pugs.....

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1267532

Tame the Penguin!
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy
    I want one too! Is that the only tire that you can put on it? I want something with big knobs on it that looks like it just came off a MX bike.
    Anybody know what a complete bike would cost?
    GT_guy,

The knobby tires of choice would be the Nokian Gazzaloddi DH Tire - 26" x 3.0". On the Large Marge Surly rims, the tires will spread out to a 3.7" but the downside is that they are absolute rocks at 1400g.

If you are curious what a complete Pugs build would run, PM me and I'll help you get a quote through Mountain High Cyclery (www.mtnhighcyclery.com). The build kit really makes the largest difference in the bottom line as the frame isn't all that expensive.

--Beast
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Beastro
    You'd be blown away by how good the fatty tires work in regards to compression damping. I felt as though I was riding a 3" travel bike with just the tires running at 8psi. I'd suggest building it rigid...then adding a suspension fork later for it.
    i have used gazzy 3in tires for years and agree with you on the build it up first and see.

Members who have read this thread: 0