Strong, NOT light custom Cro-Mo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Strong, NOT light custom Cro-Mo

Hey guys, I have a 1996 Trek 930 Cro-moly frame that I love. I've gone through 5 dual sus bikes and keep going back to this one. I'm not breaking them, just not liking them. Here's the deal... I'm 250lbs. I don't care about weight, but rather strength. Last year I bent the der hanger/dropout. It was straightened out, but not the best. I had a custom builder in the area replace the whole dropout last fall. It worked great until last week. I think it's time to retire the frame, but don't want anything shy of the strength this bike has.

Are there any custom builders out there that can make me a frame as strong as the old ones are. I don't want to hear how the newest triple butted, heat treated, alloys are so much better and have to warrant the frame every year. I take this bike off one foot drops and NEVER doubt the strength of it. Can someone recommend a company to build me this bike again? I'd like-
    Cro-mo
    replaceable derailleur hanger- I know someone has to make them, Raleigh does.
    STRONG
    Cool CS

The guy that replaced the dropout does road frames. He's not that much into mtn, so I'm not going to bother with that route. ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

Nov 2005

do I have this correct?

Your standards seem a bit low for a custom bike. I believe that the newer offerings will be stronger than the older bikes (as long as you compare apples to apples). Certainly a light XC bike will not last for your needs, but a freeride-inspired hard tail (perhaps a Surly Instigator) will likely be much stronger.

Custom can be great, or a nightmare. Do a lot of research before you give anyone money. A good custom builder could definately fill your needs, but you might also find an off the shelf bike that will also work....and at a much smaller price tag.

One final thought...after re-reading your post it seems evident that you have ridden the one bike you like, and several FS bikes. Is it possible that the 930 does not possess magical geometry, and you just like it because it is a hard tail?

Just a thought.

mtbr member
    We can build a frame to any specifications, and your size and weight is not really an issue.

In steel there are lots of great options for making a bomber hardtail. You just have to pony up the cash and go for it.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unit
    Your standards seem a bit low for a custom bike. I believe that the newer offerings will be stronger than the older bikes (as long as you compare apples to apples). Certainly a light XC bike will not last for your needs, but a freeride-inspired hard tail (perhaps a Surly Instigator) will likely be much stronger.

Custom can be great, or a nightmare. Do a lot of research before you give anyone money. A good custom builder could definately fill your needs, but you might also find an off the shelf bike that will also work....and at a much smaller price tag.

One final thought...after re-reading your post it seems evident that you have ridden the one bike you like, and several FS bikes. Is it possible that the 930 does not possess magical geometry, and you just like it because it is a hard tail?

Just a thought.
    Asking for a new frame will last me 11 years is by no means low standard. Everybody uses the cheap cliche` "stronger and lighter" anymore. If a superlight frame can handle me for that long, then I'd love one. But with tubing now pressing 0.3mm thickness? If I dent it, It will fold during the right occasion. The 930 never did that. I love HT's. That's right. But I can climb hills on the 930 that I couldn't even come close to climbing on my other bikes. I've dumped at minimum $3,500 into the other bikes, Klein Adept Pro, Schwinn Homegrown, Giant AC2, Trek Fuel 100... I couldn't climb on them. I've also tried a Giant XCR and didn't like it one bit. I love my Cro-mo. If they still make them cheap, I'd buy one. Unfortunatley, you can't find Cro-mo frames in the regular market and one that rides like the 930. Why change what I think is a perfect frame for me?

Thylacine, Can you do a dropout with a replaceable derailleur hanger? Thanks
    Hubbard Bike Club

local trails rider
    Evil Sovereign?

mtbr member
    Nah, I'm looking for someone to build me the same exact frame, but stronger than an XC "race" bike. I forgot to mention too that on the 930 I've gone thru 4 rebuilds of componentry. An LX, XRT, XT, and now it's running X0 and FSA. I'm just letting you guys know that so you don't think I'm runing a rigid with STX and "bragging" about it. Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Replacable derailleur hanger is not a problem.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn
    Hey guys, I have a 1996 Trek 930 Cro-moly frame that I love. I've gone through 5 dual sus bikes and keep going back to this one. I'm not breaking them, just not liking them. Here's the deal... I'm 250lbs. I don't care about weight, but rather strength. Last year I bent the der hanger/dropout. It was straightened out, but not the best. I had a custom builder in the area replace the whole dropout last fall. It worked great until last week. I think it's time to retire the frame, but don't want anything shy of the strength this bike has.

Are there any custom builders out there that can make me a frame as strong as the old ones are. I don't want to hear how the newest triple butted, heat treated, alloys are so much better and have to warrant the frame every year. I take this bike off one foot drops and NEVER doubt the strength of it. Can someone recommend a company to build me this bike again? I'd like-
    Cro-mo
    replaceable derailleur hanger- I know someone has to make them, Raleigh does.
    STRONG
    Cool CS

You may not doubt the strength of your Trek 930 cromoly frame but after breaking three different ones of '95-'96 vintage, I sure doubted the strength of mine.. That's what prompted me to have my first custom steel hardtail made. The first ride on that bike showed me how flexy those Trek frames really were.

I have no doubts whatsoever that any decent custom frame builder could make you a steel frame that is not only stronger than your Trek but also performs better.
    Last edited by klydesdale; 10-20-2007 at 08:20 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0