Steel frame repair recommendations- Mtbr.com
    formerly Giantxc

Bonking ... not feelin' well Steel frame repair recommendations

All,

My 4 year old Voodoo Bizango just developed a crack at the weld between the seatstay and seattube. I've contacted Voodoo to see if there is any hope for a full or partial warrantee, but just in case can anybody recommend a good builder that would repair it?
    Also, any cost and turn-around time estimates would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

gene spicer...

try gene spicer at spicer cycles.

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MrXC
    All,

My 4 year old Voodoo Bizango just developed a crack at the weld between the seatstay and seattube. I've contacted Voodoo to see if there is any hope for a full or partial warrantee, but just in case can anybody recommend a good builder that would repair it?
    Also, any cost and turn-around time estimates would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Jan 2004
    yup, I'd say Gene Spicer or our very own Vulture, Wade B @ Vulture Cycles.

mtbr member
    Try to find somebody local. This kind of repair can make a big difference to your struggling, local framebuilder. And will save you a little on shipping. It's good Karma.

Think globally. Framebuild locally.

Or something like that.

Steve

formerly Giantxc
    If I knew of a local builder I'd gladly give them my business, but I think the DC area's last one packed it in a while ago. One (good) LBS had no clue of anyone local.

Follow up question: What constitutes a good and safe repair. I just talked to my dad and he can repair the weld if I bring the frame next time I visit (his hobby is restoring antique cars), but will a basic reweld cut it for regular use (read multiple 12hr/100 mile races next year) or does this job require the special skills/tools of a bike builder?

Thanks again,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    Try to find somebody local. This kind of repair can make a big difference to your struggling, local framebuilder. And will save you a little on shipping. It's good Karma.

Think globally. Framebuild locally.

Or something like that.

Steve

Sep 2004
    Tom Teesdale can do repairs too.

http://tetcycles.com/

Fat Boy Deluxe
    If I knew of a local builder I'd gladly give them my business, but I think the DC area's last one packed it in a while ago. One (good) LBS had no clue of anyone local.

Follow up question: What constitutes a good and safe repair. I just talked to my dad and he can repair the weld if I bring the frame next time I visit (his hobby is restoring antique cars), but will a basic reweld cut it for regular use (read multiple 12hr/100 mile races next year) or does this job require the special skills/tools of a bike builder?

Thanks again,

Mike
    I'm not positive Mike, but I think Steve is just down in Harrisonburg. (Is that right Steve?) From the looks of what I've seen pop up on mtbr that he has built, I'd trust him. Hell, you could even drop it off on your way to the MORE camping trip at Douthat this weekend, your going right?

DT

formerly Giantxc
    Thanks DT. Who's Steve?

I'll definitely be at Douthat but its yet to be seen if I'll have a functional bike by then. My attempts to mix and match my remaining parts and frames is not working out well.

Quote Originally Posted by DmofoT
    I'm not positive Mike, but I think Steve is just down in Harrisonburg. (Is that right Steve?) From the looks of what I've seen pop up on mtbr that he has built, I'd trust him. Hell, you could even drop it off on your way to the MORE camping trip at Douthat this weekend, your going right?

DT

Jan 2004
    hey Mr XC,

Tom Palermo is doing frame work at the Proteus Bicycles shop in College Park MD. Give them a call. It's been a while since Proteus was operating as it used to (serious roadie pro shop), and Tom's been keeping a low profile, but he IS building frames. He might be able to help. Give him a call.

Fat Boy Deluxe
    Thanks DT. Who's Steve?

I'll definitely be at Douthat but its yet to be seen if I'll have a functional bike by then. My attempts to mix and match my remaining parts and frames is not working out well.
    Steve as in Steve Stickel who makes ByStickel bikes, do a search on mtbr and it will return a few of his creations.

What do you need to get the bike working? I got a bunch of stuff you might be able to use including almost complete bikes, sure we could put something together. I got the Surly 1x1, but it only has a front brake. Also got the Supergo Access frame and an eno rear wheel (currently needs a couple of new spokes though). Any of that stuff help?

DT

mtbr member

Yeah, that's me...

I didn't know the poster was in D.C., honest! I try to not be too pushy about what I do.

Proteus would be closer than I am. I know Tom through the internet, but you'd have to talk to him to see what he's up to.

I'm in Harrisonburg, which is probably 2.5 hours away... near all the riding; )

It's hard to say without looking at the crack, but often the proper repair is to replace the affected tube. If you need any additional help, please feel free to ask.

Steve