The Start of a Winter Project...- Mtbr.com
    Re-friggin'-Lax!!!

The Start of a Winter Project...

I'm a fairly oddly proportioned person (6'5", 34.5" inseam, LONG arms). I've had custom measurements done before but never been able to pull the trigger on a custom for various reasons. A while ago I was looking around the Kelly bikes site and checked out their geometry of the Ro Sham Bo, wow, it was pretty much exactly what I was looking for! However this was after the Kelly sell off had begun so there were no more in my size... Then a couple weeks ago I noticed that they sold the "Front End" of the frame I was looking for, and it was cheap! So I called Chris and ordered one up the day before Interbike. He's a pretty funny character and I have to say I've never had an order place it quite that fashion. He's pretty upbeat it seemed and was going to stay in the industry. Anyway...
    It arrived this morning and I jumped in the box. Nice, True Temper OX-Platinumness, not only was it welded up all sexxxy the seat tube had the groove cut and the bottle boss holes were drilled. This is a pretty good start for $50.
    So my plan this winter is to design and have the rear end welded on. My plan is for a geared/disc only 29er. Now I've done some preliminary research on tubing suppliers, and some custom builders with good reputations. I live in VT and would prefer to keep it drivable (Wojek? FTW? Boston Builders?) but I really have no problem shipping it.
    Now here are some questions I have for you folks, and I'm sure there will be more along the way... Have any of you out there had a particularly good experience with a builder doing odd work like this?
    Would sourcing the tubing, dropouts and guides myself and then finding a local welder with the proper facilities be something any of you would consider?
    Thanks for the help!
    If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WEBERTIME
    I'm a fairly oddly proportioned person (6'5", 34.5" inseam, LONG arms). I've had custom measurements done before but never been able to pull the trigger on a custom for various reasons. A while ago I was looking around the Kelly bikes site and checked out their geometry of the Ro Sham Bo, wow, it was pretty much exactly what I was looking for! However this was after the Kelly sell off had begun so there were no more in my size... Then a couple weeks ago I noticed that they sold the "Front End" of the frame I was looking for, and it was cheap! So I called Chris and ordered one up the day before Interbike. He's a pretty funny character and I have to say I've never had an order place it quite that fashion. He's pretty upbeat it seemed and was going to stay in the industry. Anyway...
    It arrived this morning and I jumped in the box. Nice, True Temper OX-Platinumness, not only was it welded up all sexxxy the seat tube had the groove cut and the bottle boss holes were drilled. This is a pretty good start for $50.
    So my plan this winter is to design and have the rear end welded on. My plan is for a geared/disc only 29er. Now I've done some preliminary research on tubing suppliers, and some custom builders with good reputations. I live in VT and would prefer to keep it drivable (Wojek? FTW? Boston Builders?) but I really have no problem shipping it.
    Now here are some questions I have for you folks, and I'm sure there will be more along the way... Have any of you out there had a particularly good experience with a builder doing odd work like this?
    Would sourcing the tubing, dropouts and guides myself and then finding a local welder with the proper facilities be something any of you would consider?
    Thanks for the help!
    Wow, 50 bucks !
    Good for you.
    E/M me @ [email protected]
    I spent 26 years in the aerospace industry, odd work is my speciality.
    Rick Risinger.

Members who have read this thread: 0