Special Fr Der required for the Chumba bikes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Special Fr Der required for the Chumba bikes?

I like the XCL a lot! Now what are the positives and negatives of having to ue and E type der? I would put a chumba on my short list (I am in the market now for a all mtn bike), but the E type der seems a negative, correct my "thinking" on this!
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Rides shared with friends: Soul Music

mtbr member
    The E-type - also referred to as direct mount has gained increasing popularity and is featured on other manufacturer's bikes also - including Pivot and Maverick - it requires less adjustments than clamp ons (no vertical or angles) - and can make for more precise shifting - not to say that standard clamp ons don't work equally as well when adjusted properly as our hardtails use clamp ons. We go with the E-type to use wider diameter seat tubes on our full suspension bikes to increase the front triangle strength.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

I'm on fire.
    Only negative IMO is the limited choices of e-type FD (only Shimano makes them as far as I know)...but why would you want anything else other than a Shimano XT FD?

Works like a charm, total non-issue in my book.
    Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY

I'm living the dream!
    Shimano is the only manufacturer of the e-type. If you can get over that, it's a great derailleur. I haven't had to adjust mine since my first ride on it a year and a half ago. I have the XT model.
    Bottom line: I wouldn't let the E-Type dissuade you if that's the only negative you can find. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Like others have said, there is nothing wrong with the e-type derailleur. I'm going on my 2nd year with my XCL and I like it more every time I ride it!!

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

E type

Works great! over a year and no adjustments. My personal favorite thing is that the design keeps the chain from falling off on the inboard side. This means that it won't get down and wrap around the BB shell on bumpy downhills - I've had trouble with this on SRAM and shimano FD's no matter how carefully I adjust them.
    E-type = install and forget about it. Just what I want from a FD. I just wish our tandem could mount one...

wuss
    I was worried before getting the XCL, I hate front derailleurs and heard bad things about the e-type. However it's the most trouble free front derailleur I've ever had. Never had to touch it since leaving the shop last summer.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for all your responses. I am very impressed with the design and quality of the Chumba bikes. Never owned one but it is easy to see the high quality in the design and details of these frames!
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Rides shared with friends: Soul Music

Members who have read this thread: 0