Some San Andreas help please?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Some San Andreas help please?

Hey all!

Found someone selling an '02 San Andreas (Classic style) and i'm interested in buying it. I've wanted one of these for YEARS, like ever since I first saw one. The "price is right", it's not too far away so hopefully I can see it first (if I hear back from the seller - I hope) and i'm tempted.

So, what do I want to know? Easy;

1) pivot - did they all use bearings, or were there ever some models that didn't? If I get this thing then i'll be replacing them regardless (personal rule of mine). Also, anyone know the p/n?

2) is there anything that is ever "problematic" or prone to breakage that I should look for? I've never even seen one of these in person, so this is where i'm REALLY needing my help.

PATIA!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

Am not, had mine removed.
    Look to make sure a daul crown fork has not dinged the frame. It happened to mine.
    You want to ride behind someone who does something that?

770-271-9506

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markz06
    Look to make sure a daul crown fork has not dinged the frame. It happened to mine.
    Okay, I did. I met the seller today and checked it out. That spot was fine, as was (most of) the rest of it. The frame is now mine.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Additional Feedback

I have owned two of the classic frames, so you will not be disappointed. Ride it hard, it can take it.

1. I can not remember they model year, but they went to sealed bearing pivots around that time. The first frame I had rotated around a shaft and bushing for the pivot, but my '03 has sealed bearings. (I sold the older frame a few frames back, so I am not exactly sure of the model year.)

2. About this time, as well, they went to a replaceable derailleur hanger. Again, my earlier frame did not have this. I had to buy a new rear end after I tweaked the original in a spill, and the replacement came in with the upgrade.

3. I personally have had great success with the frames on a variety of locations and conditions. I originally had issues after I tweaked the non-replaceable hanger, but that was fixed with the new design.

4. I have run the frame in both the shorter and longer travel modes, and can honestly say that with today's stable platform shocks, there is no need to run it in anything less than the 6" setting.

5. Adjusting the front derailleur can be a bear of a task. My recommendation is to get a 5mm hex wrench and grind the shorter arm down to fit in the tight confines of the bottom bracket area. I have also had great success with those small ratcheting 90 degree screwdrivers to reach the limit screws on the front derailleur.

6. As with other single pivot designs, you will get some chain growth as the rear end cycles through the travel. Keep an eye on the chain length and take that into consideration when replacing the chain.

Good luck with the purchase. My first "unique" frame was a San Andreas, and I sold that to try other pivot designs. Two Specialized Enduro's and a Giant VT2 later, I am back with my original love that I tenderly call "_itch" with a "B".

Chris Caldwell

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Hey all!

Found someone selling an '02 San Andreas (Classic style) and i'm interested in buying it. I've wanted one of these for YEARS, like ever since I first saw one. The "price is right", it's not too far away so hopefully I can see it first (if I hear back from the seller - I hope) and i'm tempted.

So, what do I want to know? Easy;

1) pivot - did they all use bearings, or were there ever some models that didn't? If I get this thing then i'll be replacing them regardless (personal rule of mine). Also, anyone know the p/n?

2) is there anything that is ever "problematic" or prone to breakage that I should look for? I've never even seen one of these in person, so this is where i'm REALLY needing my help.

PATIA!
    Last edited by CCRiderKY; 02-19-2006 at 12:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCRiderKY
    I have owned two of the classic frames, so you will not be disappointed. Ride it hard, it can take it.

1. I can not remember they model year, but they went to sealed bearing pivots around that time. The first frame I had rotated around a shaft and bushing for the pivot, but my '03 has sealed bearings. (I sold the older frame a few frames back, so I am not exactly sure of the model year.)

2. About this time, as well, they went to a replaceable derailleur hanger. Again, my earlier frame did not have this. I had to buy a new rear end after I tweaked the original in a spill, and the replacement came in with the upgrade.

3. I personally have had great success with the frames on a variety of locations and conditions. I originally had issues after I tweaked the non-replaceable hanger, but that was fixed with the new design.

4. I have run the frame in both the shorter and longer travel modes, and can honestly say that with today's stable platform shocks, there is no need to run it in anything less than the 6" setting.

5. Adjusting the front derailleur can be a bear of a task. My recommendation is to get a 5mm hex wrench and grind the shorter arm down to fit in the tight confines of the bottom bracket area. I have also had great success with those small ratcheting 90 degree screwdrivers to reach the limit screws on the front derailleur.

6. As with other single pivot designs, you will get some chain growth as the rear end cycles through the travel. Keep an eye on the chain length and take that into consideration when replacing the chain.

Good luck with the purchase. My first "unique" frame was a San Andreas, and I sold that to try other pivot designs. Two Specialized Enduro's and a Giant VT2 later, I am back with my original love that I tenderly call "_itch" with a "B".

Chris Caldwell
    Cool, thanks Chris!

FD - I think i'm going to try replacing the screws with socket head cap screws (uses an allen key) and that should work. This frame actually has waaaay more room then my ProFlex ever did.

I have it together mostly. I've got my '05 Manitou Minute 1:00 on it and that's fine. No crown clearance issues. This frame does not have replaceable dropouts. Guess it's good i'm skinny! Pivot bushing/bearing - I checked the s/arm with the shock off - whatever IS in there is very very smooth. I'll take it apart soon and check for sure. I'm a little disappointed with the shocks I received though. They are both (makes puking motion). One 50 mm stroke Cloud Nine to the rescue! Right now i'm just putting it together with whatever I have "laying around" that will "make do" to be sure I want to dump money into the frame. I'm concerned with the high pivot. The C9 won't help here, but i'm just going to have to see for myself how bad it REALLY is. Intentional use is "big" trail bike, occasional freeride and maybe a trip to Blue Mountain here and there (gotta find my balls! )

I'm very VERY surprised this medium frame feels so inviting for my stature!!!!! I'm 6'3" and I feel comfortable, it's only feels small by the tiniest amount. The VPS is set with the seattube farther back - top tube length (measured horizontal) is 22.5"?!?!?!??!?! Just slightly smaller then my ProFlex. It feels good. I'll get a pic up when it's done and i've had a ride.

mtbr member
    A little more help here guys, please?

Seatpost diameter? Is it 31.4 or 31.6? I'm not 100% sure that the one that came with the frame is correct.

PATIA!

Aug 2004
    Should be a 31.6 (at least that's what my '04 SA required).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amaner
    Should be a 31.6 (at least that's what my '04 SA required).
    Yup. I ended up getting a 31.6 and it fits great. Thanks!

Almost got it done. Looks like it'll be a fun hand-full so far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yup. I ended up getting a 31.6 and it fits great. Thanks!

Almost got it done. Looks like it'll be a fun hand-full so far.
    If you have any other questions you need answered, try emailing "tech" at MountainCycle.com. If "they" aren't too busy "they'll" get right back to you with an answer.

Tim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TWISTED
    If you have any other questions you need answered, try emailing "tech" at MountainCycle.com. If "they" aren't too busy "they'll" get right back to you with an answer.

Tim
    You mean "TimInCustomManufacturers" at MTBR dot com?

Actually, I do and will. I just finished re-finishing it. Need some stickers and have more Q's.

mtbr member
    Still needs some tweaking, a few more bits and pieces, but for the most part it's there. I've had a few "good rides" ("good" - local riding only provide's so much) and I like it.

Damn, it's a strange feeling having 4.5" front and rear soooo plush. It's also a strange (and fun) feeling riding head-on into 4" curbs, not getting out of the seat and not feeling a thing!

For any that care to comment - why not run the cables "up top" (see pics below)???? I found I could use about 5" less cable and haven't had any problems so far (okay, ghost shifting, but who's pedalling when the rear is completely compressed anyways???).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Still needs some tweaking, a few more bits and pieces, but for the most part it's there. I've had a few "good rides" ("good" - local riding only provide's so much) and I like it.

Damn, it's a strange feeling having 4.5" front and rear soooo plush. It's also a strange (and fun) feeling riding head-on into 4" curbs, not getting out of the seat and not feeling a thing!

For any that care to comment - why not run the cables "up top" (see pics below)???? I found I could use about 5" less cable and haven't had any problems so far (okay, ghost shifting, but who's pedalling when the rear is completely compressed anyways???).
    Looks good. You should try running into curbs on a big DH bike with 8" travel.

The cables are supposed to be routed underneath so that they pass near the pivot causing no cable growth and shrinkage as your swingarm goes through it's travel. Your routing looks straight and nice, but will bow out against your leg and slap against the frame as you ride causing a lot of racket.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TWISTED
    Looks good. You should try running into curbs on a big DH bike with 8" travel.

The cables are supposed to be routed underneath so that they pass near the pivot causing no cable growth and shrinkage as your swingarm goes through it's travel. Your routing looks straight and nice, but will bow out against your leg and slap against the frame as you ride causing a lot of racket.
    What curb?

Yeah, first time I heard the clanking I thought "WTF, it's broken?!?!" Oh, cables ... monocoque frame.

I ended up putting in my bigger C9 with 2" stroke and putting the Nixon up to full travel at 145 after I posted....... well, ghost shifting wasn't a problem with less travel. I guess I found the breakpoint. I needed new cable's anyways.

Gotta remember Kleenex for the nose bleeds. 15" BB height!!!!!!!!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0