Soma Wolverine Builds- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Soma Wolverine Builds

It's taken many months more than I had expected, but it's finally finished. Firstly, if you're dismayed I didn't keep the frame orange (like so many other new bikes this fall), I don't care. I wanted mine blue. It's been powder coated with RAL 5003 if anyone wants to know.

It rides great. It's feels lighter and more lively than the cross check I previously owned. This is a 54cm frame. Some components include 11 speed 105 drivetrain. TRP HY/RD disc brakes. The wheels are made up of King R45 hubs in pewter, velocity Blunt SL rims, and 38mm Compass Barlow Pass tires. I've got it set up for commuting in a wet weather and thankfully, the rack and fender struts all fit together without a hitch over the brakes. I've still got to fine tune that fender line, but it's functional for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soma Wolverine Builds-img_0477.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-pb160062.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-pb160068.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-pb160069.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-pb160071.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-pb160075.jpg  

Last edited by emat; 11-16-2014 at 11:21 AM. Reason: added frame size

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Of interest to anyone planning to use fenders on this frame with an 11 speed 105 FD is that the derailleur arm came into contact with the fender with the chain in the big ring. These a 51mm fluted VO fenders, but I'm not sure it would be any different with a smaller width. Decided to solve this problem by banging a dent into the fender. The dent comes nowhere near the tire and unless you'r looking for it you can barely notice it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soma Wolverine Builds-img_0533.jpg  

mtbr member
    Blue looks good. Mine is still on the boat...should be here in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking I might repaint mine as well. I really like the orange, but I have a set of S&S couplers Ill be brazing on so I'll have to sand some paint off anyway. I have laced up a Rohloff disc and Son 28 disc to DT Swiss TK 540's running Schwalbe Big Bens. Drops with the Giles Rohloff shifter and TRP HY/RD. I'll post pics of the build when the frame comes in.

I'm coming from a new Salsa Fargo (blue). I like it with WTB drops, but climbing is a PIA. Most of my commute is hilly so I'm hoping the wolverine geo will help with that.

Thanks for starting this post BTW.

A God Without A Name
    That blue looks phenomenal! I won't be refinishing my bike any time soon, but one day the finish will be worn enough to necessitate it. I'll go crazy at that time.

If I ever get any half decent photos of my Wolverine in it's current arrangement, I'll make sure to post them here.

mtbr member

Rohloff and Schmidt SON Wheel set for Wolverine

I built the Rohloff wheel today...still waiting on the frame to arrive. The Schmidt is still on my Fargo.

Soma Wolverine Builds-img_20141128_215948.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-img_20141128_220056.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emat View Post
    It's taken many months more than I had expected, but it's finally finished. Firstly, if you're dismayed I didn't keep the frame orange (like so many other new bikes this fall), I don't care. I wanted mine blue. It's been powder coated with RAL 5003 if anyone wants to know.

It rides great. It's feels lighter and more lively than the cross check I previously owned. This is a 54cm frame. Some components include 11 speed 105 drivetrain. TRP HY/RD disc brakes. The wheels are made up of King R45 hubs in pewter, velocity Blunt SL rims, and 38mm Compass Barlow Pass tires. I've got it set up for commuting in a wet weather and thankfully, the rack and fender struts all fit together without a hitch over the brakes. I've still got to fine tune that fender line, but it's functional for now.
    Nice touch with the blue headset spacer BTW. I like to add an off color spacer as well but never been able to match up the color as well as you have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks @my2hands. Choosing a color for this frame was actually the last thing I did and easily the hardest decision, fortunately it worked out ok. My only small regret is how dark that 105 crank is.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how your Rolloff build comes together.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hi, may i know what is your height to go with the 54cm wolv? I am scouring the net trying to see what size I shld go with. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mojak View Post
    Hi, may i know what is your height to go with the 54cm wolv? I am scouring the net trying to see what size I shld go with. Thanks
    5'9". Has Soma released a new batch of frames yet? It was limited run the first time around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by emat View Post
    5'9". Has Soma released a new batch of frames yet? It was limited run the first time around.
    Im not sure though, just asking coz contemplating between this or the all city macho disc..

I would prefer the taller ht of the 54 but am afraid it will be too long on the ett at 565mm..all city have a 130mm ht on a 550mm ett..im 5"8' btw.

A God Without A Name
    The frames are done... and sitting in a harbor waiting to be offloaded. But the Longshoreman are holding things up until they get a raise.

A God Without A Name
    I'm really debating a carbon fork lately. I want to build something roadie-er.not sure if I should do it on the Wolverine or just build a second bike.

mtbr member
    What size frame are the 6 foot riders usually going with for drop-bar use on this bike?
    '19 Surly Krampus '18 Soma Wolverine '16 Giant Anthem SX '12 Soma Analog SS '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '86 Fuji Club

A God Without A Name

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've now had a few months on the bike, enough time to get a feel for it I think. I most certainly like this frame more than the Surly Cross Check I had before, but so many components are different between the bikes it's not exactly a fair comparison. It's stable, snappy and accelerates well enough for me without feeling like I'm losing all the power into a flexing of the frame.

I'm indifferent about the 11 speed 105 group, 50-34 / 11-32. It feels fine enough but I can't say it offers me any advantage over a 9 or a 10 speed. On this bike I really wish it had one bigger bail out gear in the back for loaded climbs. Hopefully one day I'll find a solution for this without having to change too many of the components.

As mentioned in my first post, I'm using TRP HY/RD disc brakes. They have plenty of stopping power and the levers have a great feel unfortunately they have a higher frequency pulsing or vibration that hasn't improved with use. I haven't figured out whether it's a product of the frame/fork, rotor, pads, or a combination of the above. It comes from both the front and rear so I don't think it's due to the fork. Any one else have this problem?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i appreciate the feedback on the bike as i'm patiently awaiting my frameset. i planned to do 11 speed 105 with a 46/36t up front. it seems like it'd be slightly better for the scenario you're describing but i can't help but second guess adopting 11 speed. 11 speed disc hubs with 135 spacing aren't nearly as prevalent as 9/10 so that comes at a premium.

mtbr member
    Hey emat, can you tell me what your seat height is in those pictures? BB center to top of saddle?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Anybody know when the next batch of 60cm will show up??

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Anyone know if the frame will clear a 29x2" tire? I've got my frame on order from my LBS, have a wheelset ready but haven't decided on what tires to run. Was thinking either a fast rolling 29x2" or something like the Surly Knard 700x41.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    Anyone know if the frame will clear a 29x2" tire? I've got my frame on order from my LBS, have a wheelset ready but haven't decided on what tires to run. Was thinking either a fast rolling 29x2" or something like the Surly Knard 700x41.
    Yes, when I had my frame I built it up with Schwalbe Big Bens 29x2. They fit fine, but major wheel - toe overlap which may not be so much of a factor with a larger frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Awesome, thank you. My rides tend to go something like: pavement, dirt road, pavement, singletrack, gravel, pavement then turn around and repeat. I don't think there is a "correct" tire.

A God Without A Name
    Yeah, I'm running fat franks front and rear with room to spare. It's pretty great.

mtbr member
    Awesome, thank you. My rides tend to go something like: pavement, dirt road, pavement, singletrack, gravel, pavement then turn around and repeat. I don't think there is a "correct" tire.
    I tried some WTB Nano's 2.2 but the knobbies rubbed the bottom of the fork crown, otherwise, they would of fit.

Ah...the endless quest for the perfect enduro tire. The Big Bens are almost perfect IMO except...except for one important element: they don't look the part!

LDX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mojak View Post
    Im not sure though, just asking coz contemplating between this or the all city macho disc..

I would prefer the taller ht of the 54 but am afraid it will be too long on the ett at 565mm..all city have a 130mm ht on a 550mm ett..im 5"8' btw.
    Did you ever buy your Soma Wolverine? I'm also 5'8" and prefer to go with the largest frame possible. The ETT shouldn't be an issue for me as I plan to use moustache bars to keep upright. Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Question about buying a frame and building it up without riding it.

My Fuji Cross is a 54 (fits great), but the Wolverine ETT in size 52, is very close (2mm longer), and the only really (probably) noticeable difference in geo would be the seat tube (The Fuji is 2cm taller), and a few mms or half a degree here or there.

How does that 2cm shorter seat tube on the Wolverine change the ride, or will it?
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    Question about buying a frame and building it up without riding it.

How does that 2cm shorter seat tube on the Wolverine change the ride, or will it?
    Seat tube length doesn't matter as long as it's not too long. You would just adjust the seatpost up or down to make up the difference. Ride characteristics shouldn't really be different.
    '19 Surly Krampus '18 Soma Wolverine '16 Giant Anthem SX '12 Soma Analog SS '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '86 Fuji Club

mtbr member
    Thanks Glynis27, that's what I thought, but I am kind of a turd so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Now I have to decide between drops or flats!

mtbr member
    For maximum versatility, I think I am going with either the Surly Knards or Soma Cazadero (that gumwall though). What width rim would you recommend, 23-27mm? I could throw a 2.1ish 29er tire on that rim then, right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I just finished my first ride today with 41mm, 120tpi, Surly Knard's. Wow, I'm really impressed with the tire! I use a 25mm Velocity Blunt SL wheel.

mtbr member
    Caz's come in blackwall too. Actually out of gumwall right now.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Soma Fabrications
    www.somafab.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Has anyone heard anything about the August shipment of frames? I ordered a frame a month ago and haven't heard anything. Have a trip coming up in September and would like to have mine built up and get a couple break in rides.

mtbr member
    I would have your dealer check with their distributor. We've sent out over 200 frames to dealers and distributor in the last 30 days. We are caught up on backorders on almost everything except middle sizes placed less than 3 weeks ago. We expect to get another order in at Merry Sales next week, which should cover everyone's backorders.
    Soma Fabrications
    www.somafab.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by somacisco View Post
    I would have your dealer check with their distributor. We've sent out over 200 frames to dealers and distributor in the last 30 days. We are caught up on backorders on almost everything except middle sizes placed less than 3 weeks ago. We expect to get another order in at Merry Sales next week, which should cover everyone's backorders.
    Thanks for the reply. I ordered a 54cm on July 10th through my LBS, I was told it was backordered on the 16th so not sure which day the order went through. I'm told they'll be checking the status the next couple days, hopefully I'll be getting my Wolverine built up soon.

I made the mistake of selling my old bike too soon to pay for this one. I mistakenly thought the Wolverine was in stock last month, obviously my fault, but I'm dying a little inside with all these parts and no frame to put them on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

New wolverine build

Thanks to Soma love here and elsewhere, I recently pulled the trigger on a Wolverine. I was originally thinking Surly Straggler, but glad I ended up here. The dropouts are clean, the head tube is almost 2cm longer than a Straggler, and I wouldn't want anything heavier or stiffer. For what it's worth, I'm 6' with a 33" inseam and went with a 56cm frameset, 80mm stem, and 46cm bars. Cons: Short head tube, not so light, and moderately fragile paint. Pros: Versatile steel frame, orange, and fun! Despite the heft, it's surprisingly snappy on singletrack with dropouts in short mode. Right now it's built up in touring mode with front rack/panniers, Revelate frame and seat bags, and Clement Xplor 40mm tires. Thanks again for the positive reviews. Happy trails, roads, and everything in between!

Soma Wolverine Builds-134.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    She's finally done.
    2x1 Drivetrain (not a typo) with FSA Metropolis Internally Geared Crankset
    WTB i19 Wheels with 700x41 Knards
    Brooks Cambium C17 Saddle
    BB7 Brakes
    Sweet matching bar tape, wasn't sure if I would like it until I saw it on the bike, but I really think it looks cool.

Time to put some miles on it.
    Soma Wolverine Builds-wolverine-web.jpg

mtbr member
    Awesome to see! I've got the exact same seat and orange lizard skin tape sitting in a box waiting for my frame to show. I wasn't sure about the orange tape either, but it looks great!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    That's likely to be the frameset, specifically the front fork.

A God Without A Name
    What?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Glynis27 View Post
    What size frame are the 6 foot riders usually going with for drop-bar use on this bike?
    I am 5'11 - 6' and I opted to ride a 56cm. I am running soma Clarence bars but wanted the ability to run drops for cx races. I'm also running a 110mm 10degree stem and a zero stack seat post. Having really long legs and next to no torso, I will say it's a tad on the tight side. But with a layback seat post and drop bars, it should fit my body perfectly. I also have size 9 feet and there isn't any toe overlap but it's close.

So if you have a longer torso or bigger feet, I would suggest a 58cm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmad View Post
    I am 5'11 - 6' and I opted to ride a 56cm.
    Thanks, but I ended up buying both a 54cm and a 56cm. Built the 54 first and it felt pretty good, but the reach was a bit shorter than I wanted for more aggressive riding. Could have tried it with a longer stem, but decided to just go with the 56 instead. I probably have just short of 2k miles on the 56 now and it's been great! Used it on a week-long tour last month and I was comfy the whole time. I have a 100mm 15degree stem, setback post and Cowbell bars.
    Now I need to figure out what I'm gonna do with the 54.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    with 29er 2.1, is there room for fenders?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I am 5'11 - 6' and I opted to ride a 56cm. I am running soma Clarence bars but wanted the ability to run drops for cx races. I'm also running a 110mm 10degree stem and a zero stack seat post. Having really long legs and next to no torso, I will say it's a tad on the tight side. But with a layback seat post and drop bars, it should fit my body perfectly. I also have size 9 feet and there isn't any toe overlap but it's close.

So if you have a longer torso or bigger feet, I would suggest a 58cm.
    I am thinking of getting a 56 or 58cm and I have a 32-inch inseam. Which one should I lean towards? No one close to me has one to test drive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by trek4fun View Post
    I am thinking of getting a 56 or 58cm and I have a 32-inch inseam. Which one should I lean towards? No one close to me has one to test drive.
    My pant inseam is between 32-33" but my actual inseam (for cycling fit measurements) is around 35-36"

I would suggest that you figure out what kind of reach you want. For example, if I wanted a much faster road riding bike, i would have gone with a 58 and drop bars to lean forward more. But I'm really happy with my 56 and mustache bars for sitting upright and being nice and comfortable for commuting.

A God Without A Name
    Images, woot.

Soma Wolverine Builds-usoukps.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-nwjyemg.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-mlcjjy0.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-jmvnaer.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-c4klxdy.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-9vioarb.jpg

CS2
    mtbr member
    She's finally done.
    2x1 Drivetrain (not a typo) with FSA Metropolis Internally Geared Crankset
    WTB i19 Wheels with 700x41 Knards
    Brooks Cambium C17 Saddle
    BB7 Brakes
    Sweet matching bar tape, wasn't sure if I would like it until I saw it on the bike, but I really think it looks cool.

Time to put some miles on it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wolverine Web.jpg 
Views:	4118 
Size:	223.7 KB 
ID:	1011314
    You mean put some smiles on. The metropolis stem is a nice alternative to a stack of spacers. Nice build hope you enjoy it.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Just finished her up last night, and brought it with me in my commute. Set it up as a retro-ish MTB, although might switch to drops in the future. While waiting for the BB7 stoppers I slapped in extra XT hydraulic brakes from the bin - I was thinking that it would be out of place but upon installation it kinda works with the overall look.

Soma Wolverine Builds-imageuploadedbytapatalk1453173081.986635.jpg
    Soma Wolverine Builds-imageuploadedbytapatalk1453173112.938317.jpg
    Soma Wolverine Builds-imageuploadedbytapatalk1453173128.489894.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Nice ride! What size are your tires? Could you please provide a pic of the tire clearance? I am about to start one that I am building up as a monster-cross.
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Soma Wolverine Builds-imageuploadedbytapatalk1453179632.401479.jpg

29x2.1 with the dropouts pulled all the way backwards. 2.2 tires might also fit, but at the front it will be tight. Good luck on the build!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    nice, Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Aybee. This.... Is awesome!

A God Without A Name
    I've been looking for a set of knobbies to try on the Wolverine. And those look perfect!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Sooo... rear racks are harder to fit on this frame than I thought they would
    Can anybody shed some light onto which rear racks that for sure?? I would like to do some touring so racks that have a >45 lb rating would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Out for a spin w/ Nano 40's
    Soma Wolverine Builds-wolverine-1.jpg

The BS (Barton Springs) kit. Mat, towel, trunks, goggles, and 2x cold beers on 29x2.0 Race Kings for rolling down the Greenbelt to go swimming.Soma Wolverine Builds-wolverine-4.jpg

Slaying some local singletrack.
    Soma Wolverine Builds-2015-11-15-16.16.33.jpg

Bike packing rig...back on 700x40 Nano's with Revelate & Blackburn bags carrying food for 2.5 days / 2 nights, cookware, stove & fuel, H20 filter, hammock, light sleeping bag, and large HydroFlask for keeping beer acquired at breweries along the way ice cold.Soma Wolverine Builds-wolverine-3.jpg

A God Without A Name
    Sooo... rear racks are harder to fit on this frame than I thought they would
    Can anybody shed some light onto which rear racks that for sure?? I would like to do some touring so racks that have a >45 lb rating would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!
    Regular rear racks have no issue fitting on mine. Currently have some Bontrager rack on mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    Regular rear racks have no issue fitting on mine. Currently have some Bontrager rack on mine.

I found that the Bontrager disk rack works, however I was hoping to find a rack with an additional bar that sweeps back to prevent the panniers from interfering with the spokes.

A God Without A Name
    I'm using the non disc rack. The larger of the two. Do you have fenders to deal with? Because i just had to bend the rack a tiny bit and I was fine.

Oh! I also have hydros. Those things are very low profile. What brakes are you running?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I'm using the non disc rack. The larger of the two. Do you have fenders to deal with? Because i just had to bend the rack a tiny bit and I was fine.

Oh! I also have hydros. Those things are very low profile. What brakes are you running?
    Bingo! I'm running BB7's as well as SKS Chromoplastic Longboards. My ultimate goal is to have a commuter/light-duty touring bike. Most every rack has interferred with the BB7's pad reach adjuster or the barrel adjuster.

A God Without A Name
    Yeah, I got rid of my last pair of BB7s in 2013. those things were the best when they came out. but now the only Mechanical I'd run is Spyre. just about the same power as a BB7, but lower profile AND easier adjustments.

flat bar Hydraulics are just so affordable these days, and I got the hook up on my NOT affordable drop bar hydro's. makes it a non issue.

dying hurts.
    just discovered this thread....here's mine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny the boy View Post
    just discovered this thread....here's mine.
    NOICE! Dig the rasta headset spacers... and the saddle choice.... and the proper barcon shifters.

dying hurts.
    fwiw i'm 6' tall (long torso) and the 56cm fits me like a glove.
    110mm -7deg stem, 44cm cowbells and a zero setback post. 78cm saddle height for reference.
    (this pic was with shimano 6800)..have since "downgraded" to 10sp deore w/ bar end shifters and a triple crank.

mtbr member
    HA! We have the same taste in many things, apparently. I have the same Revelate seat bag. Our cockpit reach is the same too. I'm also on a 56, with a 20mm shorter stem and cowchippers that have 20mm longer reach...so about the same. I'm 5'11" with a 75cm seat height and 175 cranks.

dying hurts.
    I was just in Austin this past weekend too! haha!!

mtbr member
    What tires are those in the pictures? 2.1 Nano's? The 40's have blown me away how good they are, which has made me think the 2.1's would be awesome for chunkier days. I really love the Conti Race King 2.0's on here too. The "Pure Grip" version of them is not available in the states that I'm aware of, for some reason, but I've been ordering them from Wiggle UK for $31 a piece and they're badass.

dying hurts.
    yeah...they're 2.1 nanos...they're my everyday tire.

mtbr member

Here's mine in progress.

dying hurts.
    just got these today..!!

mtbr member
    What kind of weights are people getting on their final builds?
    Also, anyone know the weight (approx) of the frame and fork?
    Thanks

A God Without A Name
    Approximate weight is roughly 7 pounds. My wolverine currently sits at 33 pounds with bag and lights. With my chukker wheels the lightest I've gotten is 26. With carbon wheels and a few other bits I could easily hit 24, 23ish.

mtbr member
    Johnny, Sugino XD? Good choice!

mtbr member
    That seems pretty reasonable.

dying hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    Johnny, Sugino XD? Good choice!
    yup! w/ 36t wolf tooth ring.
    11-34 cassette right now...will go to the sunrace 11-40 (maybe 42) in a little bit.
    LOVING the 1x so far on this bike...!!

dying hurts.

A God Without A Name
    That seals it, I'm changing the color of my Wolverine.

dying hurts.
    That seals it, I'm changing the color of my Wolverine.
    I didn't change the color....I removed it!! haha

A God Without A Name
    Looks good!

mtbr member
    Is there clearcoat on the metal?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

dying hurts.
    nope. just raw steel. t9 on the inside of the tubes and I wiped down the outside with linseed oil.

dying hurts.
    oh, and those are wtb nine line 2.25s in the pic

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I am 6 1.5". I'm wondering whether to get the 58 or 60cm. I ride a 60cm surly long haul trucker with 42c tires and it is a little tight but OK with standover but I'm streched out. But with this you want a little more upright vs. stretched out right? And may have bigger tires on Wolverine too.

Only problem is moving from the 58 to 60 is only an increase in Toptube of 13mm. BUT moving from 58 to 60 is an increase in 29mm of stack.

Looking again the geometry looks eerily similar to the LHT other than shorter chainstays and higher bb height.

dying hurts.
    I'd go 58.....

Commuter/Tourer
    I'm 6' 2" and I've had a 58cm LHT, 58cm Double Cross Disc, and 58cm Wolverine. I always felt a bit stretched out on the LHT with the stock stem. I ran a 90cm 107degree stem on the DCD with 50mm of spacers, and that was comfy for me. I am currently running the same stem and spacer height on the Wolverine and that is a good fit for me. I like to be fairly upright on my drop bar bikes, but 95% of my riding is commuting in an urban environment and touring. Everyone's proportions are different though; that was just my experience.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'd say 58 also...you could make a 60 work but 58 seems like a more dialed fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks. One more question for my feeble mind. How is it possible the LHT and Wolverine have the same exact same geo (Aside from chainstay length and bb height) and have the same standover while the wolverine has 8mm less bb drop. All things the same I would assume an 8mm difference in the seat tube or that 8mm made up in the standover difference. What am I missing here?

Can anyone with a 58cm measure your standover and report back. Also include tire size if you don't mind.

Thanks

Commuter/Tourer
    The 58cm stand over is ~82cm on a 35mm tire.

mtbr member
    Could be that standover measurements are inconsistent from brand to brand depending upon what spot on the top tube they're measuring to.

A God Without A Name

And the new color is...

...matte black?

Soma Wolverine Builds-soma_wolverine_frm_v2_fake-blk_640.jpg

Not sure how I feel about that. I work for a Specialized dealer, so I'm kind of sick of seeing flat black paint jobs all day long.

I was considering a second Wolverine once the new colorway came out. Now... I'll have to wait and see.

mtbr member
    Still working on it, but making progress:

Quote Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
    How is it possible the LHT and Wolverine have the same exact same geo (Aside from chainstay length and bb height) and have the same standover while the wolverine has 8mm less bb drop. All things the same I would assume an 8mm difference in the seat tube or that 8mm made up in the standover difference. What am I missing here?
    Headtube length is different. Also only the seat tube C-T is the same - doesn't mean the top tube is welded on the same exact spots on the seat tube and headtube. The vertical position of the top tube could vary without changing anything else in the geo.

dying hurts.
    i don't quite get this...i've got my rear brake housing routed to the other side of the headtube...and the side that the braze-on is on....

mtbr member
    Looks like he's running his brakes Moto style

dying hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Looks like he's running his brakes Moto style
    ah yes..you could be right!

mtbr member
    Yup, right lever for the front brake.

mtbr member
    My 60 cm Soma Wolverine (I'm 191 cm/6" 3"). If anyone is interested, the bike weighs in at 12.2 kg/26.9 lbs. Not too bad considering that it has no lightweight parts (well the cranks and pedals are relatively light, but not WW stuff imo).

Cockpit: Ritchey seatpost/Ergon saddle; some cheap 110 mm Funn stem and 46 cm Ritchey Evomax bars with Lizard skin tape. Brake levers are Sram Rivals.
    Drivetrain: Sram Force w/42T chainring, Shimano A600 pedals, 11-42 Sunrace cassette and a Rival derailleur.
    Wheels: Easton Arc 24 rims with Hope Pro 4 and Shutter Precision hubs. Tyres are 1.75" Vee Rubber Rails, set up tubeless.
    Other parts: B&M Lumoteq IQ etc. 80 lux front light, SKS fenders, mount for Ortlieb 6 l handlebar bag.

I'm quite happy with it

It still needs mudflaps, and at some point lowrider racks (or perhaps a rear rack if there's enough heel clearance with bags). Maybe a dynamo-operated rear light too.

dying hurts.

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    just ordered my frame Tuesday hope to see it in a week or so. 5'8" and went with the 52 should be a good fit. had a 54 Raleigh furley that i really liked but having clearance for a 2.0 tire and sliders i and to pick up a wolverine.

My build will be. Thomson stem and seat post, salsa cow bell bars, sun ringle charger pro 29er wheels ( need to find some road wheels yet), bb7 brakes, white industries double double crank, chris king headset.

I will put pictures up once I get it all built

A God Without A Name
    BB7's are really over-rated at this point. there are a lot of better, comparably priced options now. If a mechanical disc must be used, I'd strongly vote for the Spyres.

If sticking with the BB7s, the rotors are garbage and the pads are meh. Shimano rotors and EBC gold pads really make a huge difference.

Also, Don't run the Thomson Clamp. The seatpost is good stuff, but that clamp is prone to slipping, and many people crack it because they over torque it, because it slips.

Love the White Industries crank, White is now working on a more modern axle system for it. That I am drooling over and I hope it comes out soon.

NAHBS 2016 - White Industries adds 30mm spindle cranksets, shows the original wide range cassette & more! - Bikerumor

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Well gosh darn it if that thing ain't a beaut!!!!
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    From flat bar to drops!

The nitto jitensha bars were great for commuting but multiple hand positions were limited. Used to run nitto randonnuers on my LHT and loved it, so I'm using it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Finally took a half decent pic of mine. Picked it up from the shop about a month ago. Love this bike.

Soma Wolverine Builds-1b2o81vl.jpg

mtbr member
    Love the skinwalls!!! Clearance pics please front and back? I'm running archetypes as well so might work for my setup. Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Here it is, finally got the drivetrain bits sorted. Loving the front shifting with the CX70 fd and 6800 crankset. Love the floaty ride with 35c WTB Cross Boss tubeless tires. Love the orange!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    What handlebar is on the first post? Blue bike.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyStein View Post

Here it is, finally got the drivetrain bits sorted. Loving the front shifting with the CX70 fd and 6800 crankset. Love the floaty ride with 35c WTB Cross Boss tubeless tires. Love the orange!
    what rd/cassette is that?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by zmjones View Post
    what rd/cassette is that?
    That's an XT 11-36 10s cassette and an SLX Shadow 9 speed, M662 rd. Gotta get those low gears somehow, and this seemed like the easiest way without putting an MTB crank and losing my upper end. Crank is a 46/36, which isn't a very wide split, but it shifts so smoothly, and I can motor along in the 46t without going down to the 36 very often, only for the steep stuff. That rd can probably handle a much larger cog too, so I've been toying with the idea of grabbing a 40t cog to throw on and see how it goes, but I'm not wild about creating a huge jump in the middle of my cassette either. Kinda wishing I had gone 11 speed now, maybe after my upcoming deployment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Here it is as of right now... I swapped the stem for a much lower angle, and got the Ritchey Contrail saddle to match the rest of the cockpit - very comfy saddle, BTW.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    That's an XT 11-36 10s cassette and an SLX Shadow 9 speed, M662 rd. Gotta get those low gears somehow, and this seemed like the easiest way without putting an MTB crank and losing my upper end. Crank is a 46/36, which isn't a very wide split, but it shifts so smoothly, and I can motor along in the 46t without going down to the 36 very often, only for the steep stuff. That rd can probably handle a much larger cog too, so I've been toying with the idea of grabbing a 40t cog to throw on and see how it goes, but I'm not wild about creating a huge jump in the middle of my cassette either. Kinda wishing I had gone 11 speed now, maybe after my upcoming deployment.
    yea i did a xt 11-40 cassette with a 105 5800 gs rd with a road link and a 46-36 crankset. i would recommend the cage hack or the tampan pulley adjustor over this though, as the rd is slightly over capacity and the chain slack is noticeable sometimes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yes, I didn't know about the tampan when I was sourcing parts for this build... I guess I didn't do my homework well enough. Do you like the 46/36 with an 11-40? I'm planning on throwing some 2.1s on before long, and I think the extra low cog would be kinda nice with more rubber.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Yes, I didn't know about the tampan when I was sourcing parts for this build... I guess I didn't do my homework well enough. Do you like the 46/36 with an 11-40? I'm planning on throwing some 2.1s on before long, and I think the extra low cog would be kinda nice with more rubber.
    yea it is nice. i never bottom out anymore.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    the chain slack is noticeable sometimes.
    Have you noticed a lot of chain slap on your frame? I'm well within the range of the SLX rd, and sized my chain shorter than almost every guide out there - around the big rings, add one whole link, but I only added a half link, and still get a ton of chain slap. I think the sliding dropouts put the chain closer to the stay since they sit a little lower than a traditional dropout would.

For reference, I had this exact same setup on my last cross/adventure bike, and got almost zero chain slap, same trails and riding techniques.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Have you noticed a lot of chain slap on your frame? I'm well within the range of the SLX rd, and sized my chain shorter than almost every guide out there - around the big rings, add one whole link, but I only added a half link, and still get a ton of chain slap. I think the sliding dropouts put the chain closer to the stay since they sit a little lower than a traditional dropout would.

For reference, I had this exact same setup on my last cross/adventure bike, and got almost zero chain slap, same trails and riding techniques.
    hmmm no. for reference i have a salsa vaya. this is more about the capacity of the rd. since it is actually a bit above capacity the chain is more slack in some combinations that would be ideal, which makes it easier to drop the chain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    hmmm no. for reference i have a salsa vaya. this is more about the capacity of the rd. since it is actually a bit above capacity the chain is more slack in some combinations that would be ideal, which makes it easier to drop the chain.
    Ahhh, yeah, on the Wolverine the drop outs put the upper run of chain only an inch or so above the stay, and the bend in the stay is pretty sharp, right in the middle of the stay, so any bounce in the derailleur creates chain slap. Definitely gonna switch to a clutch rd to help with this!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Any 6ft 5" riders out there on a Wolverine? I've got an XXL Specialized Camber, so was thinking a 60cm Wolverine would be about right. Any thoughts? Thanks..

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=al8565;12610643]Any 6ft 5" riders out there on a Wolverine? I've got an XXL Specialized Camber, so was thinking a 60cm Wolverine would be about right. Any thoughts? Thanks..[/QUOT

should try 62, the largest.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Why is that seat stay held together wth screws?
    Still working on it, but making progress:

Headtube length is different. Also only the seat tube C-T is the same - doesn't mean the top tube is welded on the same exact spots on the seat tube and headtube. The vertical position of the top tube could vary without changing anything else in the geo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by lighty View Post
    Why is that seat stay held together wth screws?
    The split stay allows for a belt drive system - would be pretty cool as part of an IGH build.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Soma Wolverine Builds-bike.jpg

the sliding dropouts are a massive pain in the ass. soma blows off any questions i send them about it. the bike feels great... but im always hesitant to ride it and may just get rid of it. never had such a persistent pain in the ass bike in my life.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Soma Wolverine Builds-xylbx2l.jpg

So this is coming along nicely. Really digging the Soma Cazadero.
    Last edited by thatmaceguy; 06-01-2016 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Fix image.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Greetings fellow wolverine riders.

Just finished a Wolverine build here in Brooklyn - a matte black 62. Will take photos tomorrow and post!

mtbr member
    Check out the sweet builds on this Instagram
    http://instagram.com/morgman

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by c0vrtn3y View Post
    the sliding dropouts are a massive pain in the ass. soma blows off any questions i send them about it. the bike feels great... but im always hesitant to ride it and may just get rid of it. never had such a persistent pain in the ass bike in my life.
    If the sliding drop outs are a pain, then you are definitely not experienced in any kind of bicycle with horizontal/adjustable drop outs. They're the lowest maintenance option available for such a bike.

Are they slipping? because there is one other rider with this issue, but he admits he rides it much harder than it is designed for.

If you can't align them, that's on you. If you're riding this bike like a mountain bike, they (meaning Paragon Machine Works) make titanium bolts that can grip a lot harder than the aluminum bolts it comes with, but the only people I've ever talked to that needed them, are riding it like a mountain bike. Which it is not.

As for Soma, yeah, their customer service seems pretty terrible. I mentioned that the paint was flaking off my brand new Wolverine, and they couldn't be bothered to even reply.

The wolverine rides better and has better geometry than Surly, but frankly I wish Surly would build a bike as well as Soma does. Because while I prefer my Soma and probably will never buy another Surly, Surly really took care of me on my warranty issues.

Soma will make excuses about how small they are, but they don't really have the right. I still love their bikes, heck, I follow everyone even vaguely associated with the company on facebook. But they seem to succeed in spite of their attitudes. the bikes are that solid.

Well, the Wolverine, Double Cross, Saga, ES and Smoothie are. I don't know how I feel about their mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by grubetown View Post
    Check out the sweet builds on this Instagram
    http://instagram.com/morgman
    Better yet, search #somawolverine https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/somawolverine/

mtbr member
    I am thinking about getting a wolverine. I've been waiting since March for a straggler frame. Now it's on back order till August. Is the wolverine just as capable off road as the straggler? Looking for a bike to go on adventures and exploring and lots of miles

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I will say that the wolverine is probably more capable off road than the straggler. I've taken mine on some pretty awesome single track runs and it eats it up and asks for more. The geometry is just right to be comfortable almost everywhere - single track, road, gravel... This really is the all road beast I was looking for. I'm running 35c cross boss tires, but they look bigger than the 40c happy mediums on my other bike. I'm really excited to throw on some 29x2.1 tires like the Nano or SB8.

mtbr member
    Thank you. It really looks like a more finished bike than the surly. Any pictures of your bike how its set up?

A God Without A Name
    The Wolverine is definitely better off road than the Straggler. I say that having owned both.

The rear axle is less prone to slipping than the Straggler, the head tube is taller, and it fits considerably larger tires than the Straggler.

I fit 2.1 inch knobbies in the Wolverine with a little room to breathe. My 2.0 slicks rubbed the chainstays in my Straggler

mtbr member
    Thank you. I'm definitely not waiting for the straggler. Im going to order the wolverine this weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Mine is a few posts up in this thread - click the picture and it should take you to my photobucket for a few more pics. Another advantage of the Wolverine - the orange paint is awesome!

mtbr member
    Awsome looking bike. Yeah orange is a big plus. It's my favorite color. My current mtb is an orange stache. I already have orange ck hubs and an orange head set. Looks like it was meant to be

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1 View Post
    I am thinking about getting a wolverine. I've been waiting since March for a straggler frame. Now it's on back order till August. Is the wolverine just as capable off road as the straggler? Looking for a bike to go on adventures and exploring and lots of miles
    Maybe johnny the boy will chime in, he had a Straggler before building the greatest Wolverine ever (see earlier posts)

mtbr member
    I was just looking at his pictures. He has both bikes and the wolverine is for sale. Would definitely like to hear his thoughts. The wolverine is a nice looking bike

A God Without A Name
    I, also have had both bikes. I also have a very heavily viewed reddit review that compares both bikes.

I kind of want to update it. But I feel like it wouldn't be fair since I sold the Straggler.

It is especially helpful because the same parts were used on both framesets. letting me really focus on the quality of the frames, and not on different parts specs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycling/c...rly_straggler/

mtbr member
    I have read your review several times. It realy is a great review. You mention you use flat bars and commute. Not much trail? I think our use will be a little Different so im not sure. I will be using it for miles. trail from home. Back packing exploring. Going to be rough on it for sure. I want it to be an adventure bike.

A God Without A Name
    I use all sorts of bars. I'm a bike mechanic, I just rotate out parts when I get bored with a certain build. It started with narrow flat bars, It had wide road drops for a long time, and I just barely switched to MTB specific swept bars. Which have been the most fun.

I commute a lot less than when I built the bike. Now it see's the little dirt trails that are around my house. Nothing wild, but exactly what the bike was designed for.

It has a Surly nice rack on it now. set up for light dirt touring. It's still the perfect commuter, but now I can swap on my knobbies and hit the dirt for an afternoon. and swap them back to slicks when I have a long commute/ride coming up.

The one thing I want to change is a wide range rear derailleur, it's 11-28 105 out back, and frankly I've never needed more. But an 11-40 XT will cover all my bases for the future.

I hate (soaking wet T shirt/ stanky pack)backpacking, so my bike has a frame bag, and front and rear racks. the rear rack and frame bag stay on the shelf unless I'm doing something big.

mtbr member
    Very cool. Sounds like what I'm looking for. Is there any one thing you like the surly for better? Or do you think the wolverine is more capable all around? I have all the parts for the build just need a frame. Cow chippers 105 group 11 speed. Ck hubs tires everything. Even just received my headset spacers today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Sounds like you got a plan! I am thinking about switching to a mtb bar type setup with mine and putting some fat tires on. Not sure if I'm gonna keep it 2x10 or go 1x something yet. Thinking about a front rack for mine too, but not sure which one I'm gonna go with just yet. Something smaller with a platform is probably in my future, but since my cockpit is all matte black, I kinda want to find one that comes in matte black. Anyone have any suggestions?

A God Without A Name
    Very cool. Sounds like what I'm looking for. Is there any one thing you like the surly for better? Or do you think the wolverine is more capable all around? I have all the parts for the build just need a frame. Cow chippers 105 group 11 speed. Ck hubs tires everything. Even just received my headset spacers today.
    I think the Surly fork is stiffer. For loaded touring/ hard off road riding it seems better , stock fork to stock fork.

I have a DT Swiss RWS skewer on my Wolverine, which clamps hard enough that it has actually made the fork track a little more like a thru-axle fork.

It also has that Surly Rack on it now. Which acts a bit like a suspension bridge to stiffen the fork further. So now I'm in a really good place with it. but if I was ONLY doing off road, I'd run the Surly Straggler fork. The fork is dirt cheap. so it's not a huge investment. geometrically it's a near identical fit. The Straggler has horrible tire clearance for a bike of this nature (monstercross) in the REAR, the clearance in the fork is fine.

These bikes are "Jack of all trades, a master of none" bikes. They are by their nature a compromise.

The Straggler is built with the durability of a full blown mountain bike. But with the geometry of an outdated road bike. It rides like it's confused about what it is. And it never feels right.

I feel like the Wolverine came about a different way. I feel like they started with a touring bike, which is usually pretty solid off road. They then beefed it up to XC mountain bike standards, and they realized that with the sliding drops AND a bigger tire out back, the rear wheel could get decently tucked into the seatpost AND glued to the road, and it would be pretty nimble on the pavement.

I've tried to describe the difference between these bikes in so many ways. I think I can sum it up a bit more briefly now.

No matter what you do with it, the Wolverine dissappears beneath you and just does what you tell it. Tire choice seems to be the only concern. No matter what you do with the Straggler, it will do it. But you'll be thinking things would be better if you had a bike designed specifically for that ride.

mtbr member
    Wow. Thank you. That is a great visual the way you described it disappearing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I haven't ridden a straggler, but I will definitely second what Agwan said about the wolverine fork - it is flexy. I have asked Soma a few times about a thru-axle fork for the wolverine, and so far have no response. Good to know the straggler fork is close enough in geo to work well, but much stiffer. Thanks!

I'm also considering the DT Swiss 9mm thru-bolt. Are you running a hub specific for that, or did you do a 15mm thru axle hub and an adaptor?

Commuter/Tourer
    I actually like the compliance of the front fork. I think it really enhances the ride quality and helps the bike "plane." You guys might be thinking about the flex differently than I am, but in my opinion it's an asset. My setup is a daily commuter with some light gravel occasionally for fun. Doing the GAP & C&O on it later this month.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Don't get me wrong, it makes for a super comfortable ride, but there is a lot of lateral flex in the fork that makes it a little imprecise for trail riding. Body english is necessary for any serious trail riding, which is part of what makes this bike so much fun. I'd love to have two of these bikes, one with fat slick tires and flat bars for commuting, and one with big knobbies for mixed riding. But, I'm going to get a full suspension mtb after my deployment, and plan on keeping the wolverine more or less how it sits now.

A God Without A Name
    I haven't ridden a straggler, but I will definitely second what Agwan said about the wolverine fork - it is flexy. I have asked Soma a few times about a thru-axle fork for the wolverine, and so far have no response. Good to know the straggler fork is close enough in geo to work well, but much stiffer. Thanks!

I'm also considering the DT Swiss 9mm thru-bolt. Are you running a hub specific for that, or did you do a 15mm thru axle hub and an adaptor?
    I have a DT Swiss 350 Centerlock front hub. It wasn't convertible, I am JUST running an RWS skewer. And it has made a huge difference. It's made a big enough difference that I've considered the 9mm thru bolt, but the hubs available and the brake mounts are VERY limited.

Quote Originally Posted by MindEyeSight View Post
    I actually like the compliance of the front fork. I think it really enhances the ride quality and helps the bike "plane." You guys might be thinking about the flex differently than I am, but in my opinion it's an asset. My setup is a daily commuter with some light gravel occasionally for fun. Doing the GAP & C&O on it later this month.
    I think the fork flexes perfectly for me when I'm commuting. Which was the Wolverine's first purpose. but the RWS skewer really helped with lateral stiffness. which is never a bad thing.

I also converted the rear axle to 12x142. That made a GIANT difference. I also converted the alloy bolts to combination head titanium bolts. I didn't have a problem with slipping before. And now I NEVER will!

mtbr member
    I ordered the wolverine frame today. And being as I'm a big guy 6'3" 205 # . I also ordered the straggler fork. 2 and a half weeks out. I'll be waiting patiently.

A God Without A Name
    Yeah, at that weight you're not a big guy. bigger than average. but not big. I'm like... 270ish.

Even thin, rail thin. bone's sticking out, I'm 200. And I'm 5'9ish.

Bigger bikes are designed for bigger riders. you're maybe 20 pounds past the median rider weight for your frame size(usually about 180), which put's you well within the safe zone for ideal performance.

But heck, do the straggler fork anyways. It'll look trick. And it is a little bit stiffer.

Also do a good internal cam skewer or RWS skewer. Something known for strong clamping force, not necessarily for being expensive.

mtbr member
    Thank for saying that. I was 340 2. 5 years ago so I still feel I need to over build. The way I look at it, it will be more than capable off road with no concerns. Yeah I thought the black surrly fork would look cool also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Damn, congrats on the lifestyle change that helped you lose weight like that! I should mention I'm 5'11" and about 190-200ish, depending on if I'm good on my diet that month, and ride a 54cm Wolverine. I'm really interested to hear how the Straggler fork works out for you!

Agwan, what's your thoughts on running a 15mm thru axle hub with something like this

15mm thru Axle Hub Adapter to 9mm Quick Release Skewer 15mm thru Hub Adapter | eBay

matched up with this

DT Swiss RWS Thru Bolt 9x100mm Front Aluminum Lever - Modern Bike

I'm thinking it might be a way to stiffen the front and keep the stock fork, while being able to jump into a modern mtb wheelset.

A God Without A Name
    I want it. I want it bad. I'm told that these adapters work well. Googling these adapters seems to show a lot of people getting great results.

Time to buy some new hubs!

As soon as I can afford to build new wheels.

mtbr member
    I will let you know how it works out once I have it built up. I'll post pics also

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I ordered the wolverine frame today. And being as I'm a big guy 6'3" 205 # . I also ordered the straggler fork. 2 and a half weeks out. I'll be waiting patiently.
    What size did you order? I'm 6'4" 225, the 60cm seems too small for anyone much over 6'1"/35" inseam or so. The Soma store does not list the 62cm as available for order yet.

mtbr member
    I ordered a 58 I only have a 32 inseam

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I ordered a 58 I only have a 32 inseam
    Ok got it. And I thought I had a long torso (inseam 36.25").

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I Like THIS!!! a Lot

mtbr member
    any news on availability?
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    hi - I like the look of this - any guidance you can give on the paint removal? and perhaps a difficulty rating? did you clear coat it after?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WarPigs View Post
    any news on availability?
    LBS said that Merry Sales (local distributor in SF Bay Area) only had orange in 54 cm sizing. Thankfully that was the size/color I wanted No word on next shipments.

mtbr member
    I've had a hard time getting one. They sell out within an hour or so of then getting stock in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Just put a deposit down on one of the last in stock Wolverine frames from my LBS, Orange 56cm. I wanted Black but apparently they were out of stock until October, so I didn't want to wait that long and just went with the available color.

Nothing crazy build planned, just going to have the LBS transfer the (mostly stock) parts from my old aluminum Jake to the Wolverine. Upgrades will come down the line when the wallet is fatter, but excited for the possibilities this frame can handle. Excited to ride my first steel bike though!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thatmaceguy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xYLBX2l.jpg 
Views:	7406 
Size:	450.6 KB 
ID:	1073763

So this is coming along nicely. Really digging the Soma Cazadero.
    What brand rear rack is that, it looks perfect for a saddle bag support? How is it supported other than the two rack mounts in the top of the seat stays?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Waiting for a long time for this frame. Was able to pick it up Saturday. Spent the better part of today and yesterday evening building it up. Need to wrap the bars after I get a few rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Anyone know if there are dropouts available to make this viable as a fixed gear setup?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by karmaportrait View Post
    Anyone know if there are dropouts available to make this viable as a fixed gear setup?
    The frame comes fixed gear capable already.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rvsixer View Post
    The frame comes fixed gear capable already.
    So you would just use the existing vertical/road dropouts and tension the chain with the sliding TRD two bolt system? (Sorry I'm sure my nomenclature for the parts is off).

Also, any issues with slippage and the torque of a fixed gear setup?

A God Without A Name
    Yeah, the concern is proper chain tension. Not how you come around to proper chain tension. Most people who ride fixed gear, at least in my experience, ride with way too much tension, or worse, don't adjust tension as the chain wears.

the adjustment screws that the sliders come with will not only let you fine tune the tension, they let you fine tune alignment as well.

A disc brake applies much more force, more suddenly, to the rear wheel than your feet can. This frame is designed around disc brakes, So this frame is designed to handle all the stopping force being delivered near the hub.

Fixed gear is murder on tires, incredibly hard on your joints, and a good deal harder on your rear wheel, it is not (In my opinion) substantially harder on a frame. At least not when set up properly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    You make a great point about the disc vs leg torque aspect of things. Something I had not thought of.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    does anyone have any experience with converting the rear to 12 x 142? I've done so recently using the recommended paragon machine works parts, but I am getting some lateral play in the wheel - wondering if there's some trick to setting up the inserts or if spacers are needed

A God Without A Name
    I do! I got no play, what hub are you using? I converted a DT Swiss 350, and I am using the DT Swiss thru Axle.

It's been brilliant!

Like I mentioned in the other thread, the paragon parts, at least for me. Fit the sliders a little more precisely than the stock Tange sliders. You can tell how well Paragon does their thing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    figured it out - super silly - it was the bolts on the seatstay break that were creating the play - not the paragon inserts

mtbr member
    I think my build is now finished

Soma Wolverine Builds-dsc_0584_zpsbqeg4ufr.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Very nice!

What are the fenders / tire size?

Also, I see lots of people opting for front rack over rear rack, is that just for load distribution?

mtbr member
    Thanks!

Fenders are 53 mm Bluemels. Rear shortened/rear and the tires are 40 mm (really 43-44) Panaracer Gravel King SK:s. I have a feeling that those fenders may be a little too narrow, but that will be seen when the winter comes. 60 mm fenders would be nice but they are either 26" specific, very short, or, cost >100 euros :/

I think that quite a few people opt front rack over rear rack because the Radavist and such sites show numerous good-looking bikes with front racks. I fell to that trap also >.<

...well, the other reason of opting for front rack was this:

Soma Wolverine Builds-dsc_0464_zpsm9w7shwr.jpg

2 Ortlieb front panniers and a Revelate viscacha gives me >40 liters of carrying capacity, and I really do not need more. Should I really go for a serious tour, I'd probably swap the viscacha for 2 rear panniers.
    Last edited by kyttyra; 08-07-2016 at 11:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hi everyone, finally built mine up! Currently built up as a singlespeed around towner, but will eventually add a rear cassette and run a 1x setup with a downtube shifter. Wasn't quite sure how the brown tires/tape would turn out, but I think it looks pretty decent. Bike sure is fun to ride! Gotta say I am a HUGE fan of the TRP Hylex brakes.

Soma Wolverine Builds-img_20160730_163522865.jpg

Soma Wolverine Builds-img_20160730_163135167.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hi all,
    First post here but I have been reading avidly the thread. I am heading for my first complete bike build, probably with rohloff and belt drive. I'm looking for some advice on the sizing: I'm 6ft 1.5 inches tall with 35 inches inseam. It will be mostly for touring / gravel roads+ city, potentially carrying some weight (at least our kid from time to time!). I like a more upright position, not that much of an "agressive" rider.

Any recommandation on the frame size I should aim? Seems like either 58 or 60 should fit.

Also, a side question, but is there any fundamental difference with specialized AWOL frameset in terms of versatility/quality?

Thanks a lot!

A God Without A Name
    Without knowing your measurements it would be hard to tell you which size to pick. I have short legs and a very long torso, I got this bike because it has a really long top tube for it's seat tube length.

That doesn't mean it only works for short leg/ long torso people.

I think the AWOL frameset is pretty darn competitive with the wolverine. Though I felt the Wolverine rode with a bit more pep. Both are good.

The complete AWOLs aren't made with Reynolds like the Frameset is. So I'd make sure to get the frame only

Ovaries on the Outside
    Don't know if this is kosher with the free advertisements, but I got a Soma Wolverine crash replacement, but since the whole process took so long, I bought another bike to get back to commuting before it showed up.

It is orange and 56cm and still in the box. Details here: 56cm Soma Wolverine - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Open to offers- I'm just trying to get back to even on losses.

mtbr member
    Hi there: Definitely figure out what top tube length your ideal bike is. Standover height doesn't tell the whole story. Uprightness should not be a problem since the Wolverine's fork has a long 350mm long steerer. I highly recommend going through a bike shop to get the right fit and build. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopins View Post
    Hi all,
    First post here but I have been reading avidly the thread. I am heading for my first complete bike build, probably with rohloff and belt drive. I'm looking for some advice on the sizing: I'm 6ft 1.5 inches tall with 35 inches inseam. It will be mostly for touring / gravel roads+ city, potentially carrying some weight (at least our kid from time to time!). I like a more upright position, not that much of an "agressive" rider.

Any recommandation on the frame size I should aim? Seems like either 58 or 60 should fit.

Also, a side question, but is there any fundamental difference with specialized AWOL frameset in terms of versatility/quality?

Thanks a lot!
    Soma Fabrications
    www.somafab.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I just ordered my Wolverine and it should be here this week! I am 6'2" with 34" inseam, 200 lbs, and long-ass arms like an orangutan. I got the 58cm frame (long top tube for the win).

I have been riding vintage steel bikes for the past 10 years, and I will miss lugged framework. But nothing can quite match modern engineering and the tire clearance of monster cross bikes. I'll mostly be commuting in urban setting with trail rides as much as possible, and bikepacking tours on occasion.

I'm thinking a 42/28 or 42/32 crank should get me around town comfortably and up hills while loaded if necessary. I am curious what other people are doing for cranks though. I don't know that much about available options. What is a good mid-range, affordable crankset? And is everyone pretty much in agreement to run 10 speed rear?

Perhaps this question is for another forum or thread, but can I take the Sakae triple crankset off my vintage tourer and use the middle and granny ring as cranks on the Wolverine?

Thanks for the input, and I'll get pictures up as things progress.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hi all,

Thanks for the replies to my previous post. After some fitting in a LBS, found out 58/59cm top tubelength should fit me alright. I just ordered my 58cm black matte frame which should be there in a couple weeks... The great quest for the other components begins (Rohloff, Rims, Crankset...).

It will probably be a few months before I finish this build but I'll definitely post pictures of the final result!

Thanks a lot!

Chopins

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Just signed up because of this thread. About to buy a wolverine frame. I am 5'6-5'7" with a 30" inseam and a long torso. I am planning in getting a 52cm. If anyone thinks I should go a size smaller please let me know. I plan on doing a shimano 105 crank and shifter setup with slx rear mech and cassette 11-36. Trp cable/hydraulic discs. Mavic wheels. Salsa bars. Thomson post and stem. I am open to any advice before I start dumping money into this. Been riding 25 years lots of 50+ mile days singletrack, gravel roads, rail trails, and some back roads.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Duplicate

dying hurts.

^last week.

^3 days ago

^yesterday...went to a paul seatpost after putting on the nitto bullmoose bar.

yds
    mtbr member
    Hi all! Just picked myself up a 56cm Wolverine frame. Plan on building it as a single speed commuter, using a Gates belt drive system. Question to current owners about brakes, specifically those with TRP Spyre's. I recall reading somewhere about problems with the 160 version of these brakes interfering with the spokes, possibly only with SS or IGH systems. Anyone have any experiences with SS hubs and the Spyre's?? From other online readings (including this thread) seems that Spyre's are preferred over BB7's, so I'm leaning in that direction.

dying hurts.
    mounter the spyres to my frame...160mm rotors...the inside of the caliper had about 1mm of clearance bfore contacting the spokes. the caliper body is just too thick on the spyres....i prefer the bb7's....

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    my two cents - I've had bad experiences with TRP Spyres - the actuation arm can hyper extend and you lose braking ability - super scary - This issue was 'addressed' with a recall, but I had the issue on the replacement too - I switched over to bb7s and haven't looked back. People may not 'love' the feel of BB7s, but they are super easy to maintain and the pads can be adjusted all by hand - which is pretty useful for roadside adjustments

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    No issues whatsoever with TRP's Hy/Rd's. Good performance too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I am pretty much the exact same measurements as you and that is the size I would also get. Looks right to me. I currently have the cowchipper on a gravel bike and love it, fyi. Also look into a body float. I added one and I'm way faster now.

Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker81 View Post
    Just signed up because of this thread. About to buy a wolverine frame. I am 5'6-5'7" with a 30" inseam and a long torso. I am planning in getting a 52cm. If anyone thinks I should go a size smaller please let me know. I plan on doing a shimano 105 crank and shifter setup with slx rear mech and cassette 11-36. Trp cable/hydraulic discs. Mavic wheels. Salsa bars. Thomson post and stem. I am open to any advice before I start dumping money into this. Been riding 25 years lots of 50+ mile days singletrack, gravel roads, rail trails, and some back roads.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Syncro View Post
    I am pretty much the exact same measurements as you and that is the size I would also get. Looks right to me. I currently have the cowchipper on a gravel bike and love it, fyi. Also look into a body float. I added one and I'm way faster now.
    I ended up ordering the 52cm and I'm glad I did. I probably could have gone up or down a size no problem, with some adjustments. The 52cm is a perfect fit though. I got the cowchippers and I have a nice carbon seatpost that I had on a ht mt bike but that body float looks awesome. I think this bike is going to replace my mt bike completely. It floats down the rail trail that I ride at a comfortable 25 mph on the flats. I'm happy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Update: My build

I love riding this bike. Super excited to get out on it. Serfas Drifter tires are pretty sweet and suitable for my intents and purposes. Selle Italia Flite for $5 in a parts bin. Having some trouble with the dropouts slipping and causing brake disc rubbing, but I tightened down the bolts even more so hopefully they will stay put.

Looking forward to getting a good front rack and taking it on an extended ride next.

Soma Wolverine Builds-img_3033.jpg
    Last edited by sellwinerugs; 10-18-2016 at 06:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Wolverine Pics
    Soma Wolverine Builds-img_3034.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-img_3035.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-img_3093.jpgSoma Wolverine Builds-img_3095.jpg
    Last edited by sellwinerugs; 10-18-2016 at 06:13 AM.

yds
    mtbr member

Wolverine with Gates drive

Anyone out there running their Wolverine with a Gates belt system? If so, what crankset/chainring are you using??

I'm in the process of my belt-drive build, and I chose an SRAM S300 crankset to use with a Gates 42t chainring for a singlespeed set-up. The clearance between the CDX chainring and chainstay is a measly 1mm or so, and that's before tensioning the belt. Concerned about the ring rubbing on the frame. The S300 crankset doesn't appear to be adjustable so I'm either going to have to try it out, or think about a different crankset.

Soma Wolverine Builds-chainring.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I think you might be ok with a tight clearance - I've seen some setups super close like that and they seem to be working fine. Can you shim the bottom bracket cup out a mm or two? Sometimes the crankset / be assembly comes with a shim or two to accommodate different frame types. Or you could try a smaller chainring.

yds
    mtbr member
    Can you shim the bottom bracket cup out a mm or two? Sometimes the crankset / be assembly comes with a shim or two to accommodate different frame types. Or you could try a smaller chainring.
    Best I can figure out via online research is that the S300 crankset is specifically designed for single speed setups, so doesn't come with any spacers for 68mm shell. And due to the GXP engineering, only way to move chainline is moving the non-drive side in and out. It's already all the way in, so can't move it any further in.

As for chainring, the Gates rings aren't cheap. To get the same ratio I'd need new front and back rings, and maybe belt.

Thanks for the input. I'll give it a go with the current setup. May end up having to go with new crankset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    It seems strange that you can't adjust chainline with bb spacers, but SRAM probably doesn't like that idea because of prescribed chainline "standards" with belt drive setups. Good luck with your setup, please keep us informed with what you find works!

yds
    mtbr member

Almost done - Single Speed Belt Drive Commuter

Finally, after almost 3 months, my SS belt drive commuter build is close to being done. Ended up replacing the SRAM crankset I purchased with a Sugino Messenger (better chainstay clearance for the Gates chainring), and having to get a whole new drivechain set due to the too low gear ratio (despite being the recommended setup on the Soma Wolverine website). Last thing I'm still waiting to add are some fenders.

Full component list:

Brakes - TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes (160mm)
    Front Hub - ShutterPrecision dynohub PD-8 36 hole black
    Rear Hub - Shimano DeoreXT rear Freehub with DRM SingleSpeed Conversion Set
    Wheels/Spokes -Velocity Cliffhanger 700C non-machined rims / DT Spokes
    Tires - Clement Xplor MSO 700x40 tires
    Headset - Cane Creek 40 Headset
    Bars - Salsa Cowchipper drop bar
    Brake Levers - SRAMS500 brake levers
    Stem - Generic 60mm stem, 16 degree rise
    Tape - Black Octto Gel Bar Tape
    Cranks - Sugino Messenger Crankset 165mm
    Pedals - Dartmoor Stream Pro Flat Pedals
    Bottom Bracket -Shimano UN55 118mm BB
    Front Chainring -Gates 55 Tooth 5-bolt 130BCD
    Rear Cog - Gates 20 Tooth 9-spline
    Belt - Gates 118 Tooth (Black)
    Seatpost - N49 Aluminum with black 29.8mm clamp
    Saddle - Brooks C15- Slate Gray
    Fenders - Soma RainDog - Matte Black (on back-order with LBS)
    Racks - Blackburn Local Deluxe Rack (front and back) w/ Ortlieb QL-3 mount on rear
    Front Light - B&M Lumotec IQ-X dynamo light
    Rear Light Cygolite Hotshot SL30 (considering upgrading to B&M Secula Plus dynamo tail light)
    Computer -Cyclosport CM 4.11 wireless
    Bell Evo black
    Downtube boss covers- Chessex Dice white/black

Feel free to ask any questions about the build. Especially if you are planning a belt drive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soma Wolverine Builds-wolverine-9.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-wolverine-8.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-wolverine-7.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-wolverine-6.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-wolverine-5.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-wolverine-4.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-wolverine-3.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-wolverine-2.jpg  

Soma Wolverine Builds-wolverine-1.jpg  

Last edited by yds; 01-03-2017 at 02:12 PM. Reason: yet more component detail

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    very nice ^

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Nice build, yds! I fitted the same rack on the front of mine recently, seems pretty solid. I dig the 40mm Clements on there!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Anyone have sizing suggestions for a 6'4" guy with a 34" inseam and long torso/arms? I'm thinking the 60 is a pretty safe bet, but the 62 would give me options to run flat bars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    Anyone have sizing suggestions for a 6'4" guy with a 34" inseam and long torso/arms? I'm thinking the 60 is a pretty safe bet, but the 62 would give me options to run flat bars.
    So I'm 6'2" with 34" inseam and the 58cm frame fits well. I have very long arms but I find enough adjustability in the stem/handlebar/steerer tube combination.

I prefer getting away with the smallest frame possible, and fitting the bike with components as necessary. I haven't run into any problems with fit, but if I needed more reach I could do a set-back seat post. You're two inches taller, but I don't think a 62cm is necessary.

I would try the 60cm frame at a nearby shop or if you see one rolling by. Maybe even try the 58 and consider components that tailor the fit to you as needed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sellwinerugs View Post
    So I'm 6'2" with 34" inseam and the 58cm frame fits well. I have very long arms but I find enough adjustability in the stem/handlebar/steerer tube combination.

I prefer getting away with the smallest frame possible, and fitting the bike with components as necessary. I haven't run into any problems with fit, but if I needed more reach I could do a set-back seat post. You're two inches taller, but I don't think a 62cm is necessary.

I would try the 60cm frame at a nearby shop or if you see one rolling by. Maybe even try the 58 and consider components that tailor the fit to you as needed.
    Yeah, a friend's got a 58, I should give that thing a ride around the block. I've typically had 605 TTs on my road bikes so the 60cm is about right for me, assuming the geometry transfers over. I'm actually mildly worried about standover on the 60cm.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'3" with a 32 inseam. I use a 58. Short stem and saddle slammed all the way forward. Fits me great.. 60 would be to big for me. I'm all torso.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm more than likely going to get a Wolverine frame. I need to know if I can make the crank set from my Carbon Ridley X-Night Disc 30 fit. It's a Rotar double crank set with a press fit BB. Is there a way to make this crank set for a Wolverine?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975 View Post
    I'm more than likely going to get a Wolverine frame. I need to know if I can make the crank set from my Carbon Ridley X-Night Disc 30 fit. It's a Rotar double crank set with a press fit BB. Is there a way to make this crank set for a Wolverine?
    The Wolverine has a threaded bottom bracket shell, so you would need a bottom bracket to fit that. I think it depends on the crankset - there might be one available from Rotor, or you might have to source one from somewhere like Praxis. I would ask Rotor; they can probably point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast