Soma Saga Max Tire Width

Printable View

• 05-15-2017
    ATB1991
    Soma Saga Max Tire Width
    Hey all,

I have sort of given up on drop bar bikes at this point and my Saga is sitting in the garage seeing little to no use. I'm thinking about converting it to more of a commuter/gravel touring bike and wondering if it's even possible to do what I want. Anybody shove a wide tire in there? What's the widest you've managed with or without fenders? Any converts to a Jones bar? I imagine I'll need a new stem and obviously shifters/brake levers but that's no issue. Any tips for converting to a flat bar? Thanks!
  • 05-15-2017
    ATB1991
    Any experience with these on a Saga? Surly 700C Knard Tire > Components > Tires > Dirt Tires | Jenson USA

I also found that these fit a Saga: Cazadero Tires (700c/650b x 42mm) | SOMA Fabrications but are a little out of my price range...
  • 05-17-2017
    jmctav23
    Soma's site says it will fit up to 700x47mm so any of the gravel tires in the mid-40s will work. They are mostly new models though and pricing seems pretty high. I've seen mostly good things about the knard. I've been really impressed with the continental speed-ride in 42mm (actually more like a 38-39 depending on rim) with mixed dirt/gravel/pavement use and it can be found cheaply sometimes. No help on the jones conversion...
  • 06-01-2017
    jeskej
    Currently building up a Soma Saga DC with Surly Knard's on WTB ChrisCross I19 rims. Test fitting, there appears to be plenty of room, if you want some pictures I can probably get some this weekend.
  • 06-15-2017
    jeskej
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jeskej View Post
    Currently building up a Soma Saga DC with Surly Knard's on WTB ChrisCross I19 rims. Test fitting, there appears to be plenty of room, if you want some pictures I can probably get some this weekend.

Here's some pictures in case anyone is interested (apologize for the crappy camera phone quality):

Side View

Seat Stay

Chainstay

Fork

I can actually get the tires past the V-Brakes without deflating (unlike the last frame these were on) :)