Soma Fab: Yeah or Nay? 4one5- Mtbr.com

Dec 2007

Soma Fab: Yeah or Nay? 4one5

Hello. I have been looking at getting a nice steel hardtail mtb to build as single speed, and have been thinking about a Soma, specifically the 4one5. The price for the frame is only $420. I don't see too many of these around so i am curious as too who out there is riding a Soma? and if you would buy one again? Is this frame worth the price or should i just get a cheaper redline or motobecane or something similar? I looked into more expensive frames like Gunnar, Ahrens, SYcip ect. but since this bike will play second fiddle decided to not drop $1k+ on just the frame since it is only steel.
    Any advice into Soma's would be appreciated (pics are always cool too) Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I bought a 4one5 used, looked brand new. When we went to put in my King headset, I needed to shim it with a coke can. I called Soma acouple of times and emailed them as well and got no reply whatsoever. After I bought it I heard how bad their customer service was...Buy a Surly, they're pretty bombproof.

Dec 2007
    ok. that is useful information. anyone else have a Soma experience? good or bad?
    and yes,i have also been considering a surly 1x1 but i see them all over town and didnt want the same bike as a lot of other people. but i guess i see them more because they are a better bike for the price. guess i will just have to paint mine. if i go 1x1.

mtbr member
    My partner has a Soma Groove (same basic design, just set up for gear not SS). The only issue, if you can call it that, was that the thread in the gear hanger needed chasing with a tap to clean out the excessive paint.
    As a bike it rides real nice, very reminiscant of a mid 90s steel Kona.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    On one's are available for about the same price as a Soma. The 456's have removeable canti mounts if that's a concern. On ones have a reputation as a strong, good no nonsense bike. Both the on one and soma are made in taiwan. Check price point, they have both available for a good deal less than $400

Dec 2007
    ok thanks for the heads-up on price

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Soma Double Cross

I've been quite happy with my Soma Double Cross. Its my daily commuter. I must agree as far as their customer service is concerned though. I lodged a complaint (really an advisory more than a complaint) about the fact that their bottom bracket cable guide screw was like 3 times too long and therefore destroyed my bottom bracket (rookie mistake on my part). I never received a response from them. Great quality steel frame though and nice paint.

mtbr member

Soma Fab Juice

I have a 29er Soma Juice that I've been using since dec 07 and i plan on using it for a race! I have used it for single speed and 1x9 drivetrain. It's versatile, light, and cheap for the quality (Tange Prestige is a step below Reynolds 853 steel). It isolates vibration solidly for a hardtail and mild flex depending on size of frame and rider weight. So far I love my Juice!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0