• 06-30-2017
    jake2185
    Soma customer service and frame sizing
    So I have been eyeing a Soma Juice to build into a single speed. I've been trying to contact Soma for help with their sizing because holy jeebus, their sizing is weird. Unfortunately after two emails, I haven't received any info or contact from them. I think I've figured my size out on my own comparing my current frames but now I'm a little concerned about their customer service since they haven't exactly been the most helpful. Any one have any experience with Soma as far as costumer service? I hate to jump off the Juice frame but I can't buy something knowing there may be problems when I have questions or need to communicate with the company.

BTW: I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam so I think I will be best suited on their Medium frame size. If any one thinks that frame may not be best feel free to let me know. I typically ride Small Niner frames.
  • 07-11-2017
    So Cal RX
    I'm curious about the customer service too, as I also just ordered a Juice. Does anyone know if the frame comes prepped with some type of rust protection?

As far as sizing, I think medium will be good for you, though you also probably could have been okay on a L with a short stem. I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam and went with a Large. The Juice L to me has ETT, reach, and seat tube measurements close to my other medium frames.

Good luck. I do like the looks and the spec of this Juice, so I hope it works out for both of us!
  • 08-07-2017
    JMac47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by So Cal RX View Post
    I'm curious about the customer service too, as I also just ordered a Juice. Does anyone know if the frame comes prepped with some type of rust protection?

As far as sizing, I think medium will be good for you, though you also probably could have been okay on a L with a short stem. I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam and went with a Large. The Juice L to me has ETT, reach, and seat tube measurements close to my other medium frames.

Good luck. I do like the looks and the spec of this Juice, so I hope it works out for both of us!

Subscribed. Any progress on these frame orders?
  • 08-08-2017
    So Cal RX
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Subscribed. Any progress on these frame orders?

Frame arrived pretty quickly. Have been on the road so I haven't built it up yet.

I did email Soma and asked them about frame prep though, and they responded. Frame is coated with anti corrosion treatment, but they recommended getting the headtube faced and checking the bb to see if the threads needed to be chased. It's at the LBS right now, and hopefully I'll be able to build it up this weekend.

The frame is beautiful. I'll post photos after the build, and report on fit/sizing.
  • 08-08-2017
    JMac47
    Quote:

Frame arrived pretty quickly. Have been on the road so I haven't built it up yet.

I did email Soma and asked them about frame prep though, and they responded. Frame is coated with anti corrosion treatment, but they recommended getting the headtube faced and checking the bb to see if the threads needed to be chased. It's at the LBS right now, and hopefully I'll be able to build it up this weekend.

The frame is beautiful. I'll post photos after the build, and report on fit/sizing.

Nice. Sounds good. Too bad they recommend end user needs to do follow up QC, or is that normal?
  • 08-08-2017
    fishwrinkle
    nowadays that's not really normal. i mean for $500 it should be done at factory.
  • 08-08-2017
    JMac47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    nowadays that's not really normal. i mean for $500 it should be done at factory.

Yeah, well ~$600 but who's counting...my thoughts too.
  • 08-09-2017
    So Cal RX
    I was surprised too. Glad I wasn't in a big hurry to build it up.

At least I bought it when Soma had the 20% off sale:)
  • 08-10-2017
    JMac47
    Quote:

I was surprised too. Glad I wasn't in a big hurry to build it up.

At least I bought it when Soma had the 20% off sale:)

In your experience do regular bike shops usually have tooling/talent to face/chase those parts on frame or would it be safer to bring to a machine shop?

Thanks in advance.
  • 08-15-2017
    So Cal RX
    3 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

In your experience do regular bike shops usually have tooling/talent to face/chase those parts on frame or would it be safer to bring to a machine shop?

Thanks in advance.

I called a few shops locally and one said "you don't need that to be done", one didn't know what I was talking about, and one didn't have the tools. I ended up going to my favorite shop, but 40 miles away, which meant dropping it off one weekend and picking it up a week later.

I did get it built up though finally, and am pretty stoked on it.

Attachment 1152215Attachment 1152216Attachment 1152217
  • 08-15-2017
    JMac47
    Quote:

I called a few shops locally and one said "you don't need that to be done", one didn't know what I was talking about, and one didn't have the tools. I ended up going to my favorite shop, but 40 miles away, which meant dropping it off one weekend and picking it up a week later.

I did get it built up though finally, and am pretty stoked on it.

Attachment 1152215Attachment 1152216Attachment 1152217

Nice! Looks like you got so excited to take pix you didn't finish rinsing off the soap suds off the rear wheel and seat!😳
    So what's the size, build and fork travel setup?
  • 08-16-2017
    So Cal RX
    Haha, no soap suds, just patches of sunlight.

Frame is a L, which as others have mentioned is for all intents and purposes a M. I'm just under 5'9" and it fits me great. Smaller than some previous medium hardtails I've had.

I only bought the frame, wheels and headset. Had the rest of the parts.

Fork: Fox F29 100mm- still feels good after sitting in my garage for a few years idle
    Wheels: Performance Wheelhouse Arch MK3 (Speedtuned hub)- got on sale
    Drivetrain: XT cranks with RF 32t, X1 shifter, NX derailleur, NX cassette (heavy but works!)
    Brakes: SRAM Level (base), but with Shimano rotors
    Stem: Truvativ (80mm?)
    Bar: Niner alloy flatbar

Bike weighs 27.5 all in. I can definitely drop some weight going tubeless, and eventually on the cassette, but I wasn't intending to spend a lot on this build.
  • 08-16-2017
    JMac47
    Got it. At 5'-6.5" I'll be on a small (15.5")frame. Usually on 16" but have various stems and seatposts so should workout fine. For parts I have an old(er) straight steer FOX FIT RLC 100mm fork in white like yours (I think it can go 120 not sure but for me a 100mm 29r ht will be fine),XT 1x10 with e13 hive cranks,dropstop ring, wheelset, Formula R1 brakes,Thompson Elite seatpost/stem and carbon riser bar. Should build up prettt nicely to complement my Ibis Ripley.
  • 08-16-2017
    So Cal RX
    Quote:

Got it. At 5'-6.5" I'll be on a small (15.5")frame. Usually on 16" but have various stems and seatposts so should workout fine. For parts I have an old(er) straight steer FOX FIT RLC 100mm fork in white like yours (I think it can go 120 not sure but for me a 100mm 29r ht will be fine),XT 1x10 with e13 hive cranks,dropstop ring, wheelset, Formula R1 brakes,Thompson Elite seatpost/stem and carbon riser bar. Should build up prettt nicely to complement my Ibis Ripley.

Sweet, mine is a compliment to my Ibis Mojo 3. Post pics of yours when you're ready. I'm really digging the color scheme, and I think it looks good with the white fork. Cheers!
  • 11-22-2017
    Whiptastic
    Quote:

FWIW I built up a Soma B-Side last Winter and the instructions that came with the frame outline in detail what needs to be done/checked. I had a one of the good LBS's in my SoCal area ream the seatpost tube, face and chase the BB and check the headtube (didn't look like it needed anything). In addition, I bought a can of Biosheild T-9 and coated the inside. Worth it IMO.

Hope to build a Juice this Winter. At 6'2" I'm going 2XL.

Your build looks great!
  • 11-30-2017
    mack_turtle
    Quote:

sorry for the late reply, but that both sucks and is predictable. Any bike mechanic worth their 5mm l-wrench knows that facing, reaming, and chasing threads in a new steel frame is essential. i really wish manufacturers would just do this at the factory. my most recent frame had a head tube that was almost oval-shaped. reaming it out with the right tool was fine, but annoying that i had to take that extra step.

the bike mechanic should know that and not tell you that you don't need to do that. that's ignorant. but from the shop's perspective: those tools are expensive and most shops will not make their money back on 44mm headtube reaming/facing tools. that brings me back to my first point- do it at the factory before you sell those bikes!
  • 01-10-2018
    dmo
    I'm getting a small Juice and I'm 5'6. I was torn between sm and med so hope the small fits.

Anyone know what kind of rear axle you need? Is it 10x135 or 9x135? Is there any way to get a 12x142 to fit?

If you can provide a link for the axle you used?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  • 01-25-2018
    JMac47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    I'm getting a small Juice and I'm 5'6. I was torn between sm and med so hope the small fits.

Anyone know what kind of rear axle you need? Is it 10x135 or 9x135? Is there any way to get a 12x142 to fit?

If you can provide a link for the axle you used?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Pretty sure it's 135 only but a 10 t/a will work if your hubs have end cap option.
  • 01-25-2018
    JMac47
    Quote:

Sweet, mine is a compliment to my Ibis Mojo 3. Post pics of yours when you're ready. I'm really digging the color scheme, and I think it looks good with the white fork. Cheers!

Still have Juice?
  • 10-09-2018
    iowamtb
    When I bought both my Somas, they said facing wasn't necessary. Neither of mine were done and they are fine.