So what's the deal...... (Leader brand bikes - mod title edit)- Mtbr.com
    Student

New question here. So what's the deal...... (Leader brand bikes - mod title edit)

Whats the deal with Leader bikes. Reviews seem to be good. Anyone here have any experience with them? Specifically the 516H frame. I understand there are lack of cable stops, big problem? If anybody has a pic of their set up, could you post it, I would like to see how you set up your cables. Thanks

CR11
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

May 2007

Leader Bike

I have had my leader frame for 5 months now, and I couldn't be happier. As others have stated, if you like big names do not buy this frame, if you like an excellent frame at a low cost, this is the one for you. I have not had any problems with my frame whatsoever. I have put it through its paces to make sure that I had a solid frame. I personally did not find the lack of a 3rd cable stop to be a big problem, as of right now I have electrical tape holding it in place. I have ordered cable guides that use an adhesive to stick to the frame, just for looks really. The tape has held the cable in place so far. If you want the cable guides you can find them on jensonusa in the cable and housing sub directory of the components directory. I hope that the pic has helped, I can upload more upon request. By the way, I love my bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Student
    more please. lol A bunch of pics would be great thanks.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

Am I crazy?
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by [CrazyRick_11]
    more please. lol A bunch of pics would be great thanks.
    Yes please, would appreciate some more pics as well

Cheers...

May 2007

More pics

Here are some more pictures of my bike, if you would like something more specific or a closer pic of something just let me know. Happy to help.

Student
    How much does it weigh?
    The pics are great. I would like to see the full side shots of both sides please. Your help is great, Thank you so much

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    yeah, whats it weigh? I like that.

May 2007

Weight

Apolagize for the wait, here are the side pics you asked for. My bike pushes the scale to 25 pounds. When I upgrade my fork I will be able to lose a couple of pounds real fast. My current fork weighs in at 4.3 lbs, more than my damn frame, I intend on cutting that in half with my next upgraded fork. (or would at least like to try)

Student
    That's a real nice bike. I like that frame because I have a 140mm travel fork, so I require a steep head tube angle. This frame has an angle of 73 degrees. It looks like your dart fork is 100mm. Thanks for all the pics again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What size is that frame? I am looking at getting the 21", I have a Supergo access frame now but the top tube is almost straight, feel like I am going to endo alot when I hit the downhill.

May 2007

Bike size

My frame is the 19" version, fits me very well. I am 6' and weigh 175lbs.

Student
    Do the frames feel "big"? I'm 5'8" ad am thinking of getting into the 17" frame do you think that is a good choice?

May 2007

Sizing

When I straddle my bike it does feel big underneath me, when I ride it does not, which is the most important feel. I have never felt as though I am going to topple over the front of my bars going downhill either. I am extremely confident on the trails, because of my bike. My current setup has been very good to me (so far). It is my belief that the 17" should suit you just fine, if you are wary about ordering the 17" frame then just call the company and they should help you out. It is my understanding that they are very good about customer support. I have only contacted them once via email about ordering extra derailler hangers which did not appear on their website. I received a reply the same day,"how many do you want, 15 bucks a piece." Here is the # straight from their site, Telephone (619) 425-6452 Monday thru Friday 8am to 5pm pacifc time. If you do call let me know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So one more question before I hit the order button, I have a Cane creek $50 dollar headset, I plan on putting all my XT and LX parts on this frame will this headset fit?
    All my other parts should be no problem, they don't give head tube length either hopefully my 8 3/4" steering tube on my fork will work.

May 2007

Headsets and steerer tubes

My steerer tube is 71/4" long so you shouldn't have a problem with that (but this will also depend on your ride height requirements or comfort zone). The headset has to be a zero stack such as the FSA ZS3 found on their website or the Cane Creek ZS6 headset. I ran into the same problem concerning headsets. I already had one at home that I wanted to use but had to purchase the zero stack to accomodate my new frame. I was lucky enough to have a friend that also had a press, so I didn't have to try alternate methods to install my headset. To be honest if I didn't I probably would have taken it to the shop to have the headset installed because I have heard some horror stories about frames cracking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Here are some of my build that I just finished...

Leader LD-516H 15" (16" from bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube)
    http://www.x2-hosting.com/leader

May 2007

... and if we just ... Like the bike.

Thanks for the pics, I love seeing others that have built up a leader frame. Your bike looks awesome. Enjoy the ride, I know I have.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by jleecong
    Here are some of my build that I just finished...

Leader LD-516H 15" (16" from bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube)
    http://www.x2-hosting.com/leader
    How tall are you? You mention that it's a 15" frame. I'm something like 5'8". BTW nice bike, very sharp!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    How tall are you? You mention that it's a 15" frame. I'm something like 5'8". BTW nice bike, very sharp!
    About 5' 8" with shoes and Thanks.

Am I crazy?
    May 2007
    Oh man!!! You guys have some SWEET lookin' bikes
    Hopefully mine looks as good as you guys'...

[CrazyRick_11], I'm 5' 8" (without shoes). I have decided to go with the 17" frame.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by HaOuLi
    Oh man!!! You guys have some SWEET lookin' bikes
    Hopefully mine looks as good as you guys'...

[CrazyRick_11], I'm 5' 8" (without shoes). I have decided to go with the 17" frame.
    That's what I was thinking. Only because the frame I have now is 15" and I sort of feel "cramped" when riding. Let me know how the 17"er goes for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That's what I was thinking. Only because the frame I have now is 15" and I sort of feel "cramped" when riding. Let me know how the 17"er goes for you.
    Is your 15" actually 15" or 16", who makes it?

I was using a Forge 17" and dropped to the 16" Leader (15" according to Leader) because the 17" was slightly to big.

Student
    Is your 15" actually 15" or 16", who makes it?

I was using a Forge 17" and dropped to the 16" Leader (15" according to Leader) because the 17" was slightly to big.
    Its a Norco Rival, not even an XC frame. When I purchased it I didn't really know what I wanted out of the whole biking scene. I now know after 2 years of hard riding and racing that XC is the way to go, thus I converted my bike to be more XC "friendly". Here's a pic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Its a Norco Rival, not even an XC frame. When I purchased it I didn't really know what I wanted out of the whole biking scene. I now know after 2 years of hard riding and racing that XC is the way to go, thus I converted my bike to be more XC "friendly". Here's a pic.
    Nice.

I did a quick search and couldn't find how Norco measure for frame size, but I'm guessing (From your pic) that you on a true 15" while the leader is really a 16".

Can you measure the red line on your bike? (Should be 15")

Student
    Nice.

I did a quick search and couldn't find how Norco measure for frame size, but I'm guessing (From your pic) that you on a true 15" while the leader is really a 16".

Can you measure the red line on your bike? (Should be 15")
    It measures 15". So the 17" Leader is actually an 18" seat tube and the 15" is really a 16".Oh jeeze now I really don't know what to go with. hahaha

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It measures 15". So the 17" Leader is actually an 18" seat tube and the 15" is really a 16".Oh jeeze now I really don't know what to go with. hahaha

Mar 2006
    First off nice bikes! I am considering building up a leader ht frame for some serious XC and maybe some light all mountain use. What doyou guys think this frame can take for travel in a front fork and how do you think it would hold up for a 225lb rider?

Thanks

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Downeaster
    First off nice bikes! I am considering building up a leader ht frame for some serious XC and maybe some light all mountain use. What doyou guys think this frame can take for travel in a front fork and how do you think it would hold up for a 225lb rider?

Thanks
    From what I have heard the frame is pretty tough even for some one of your size. As for the travel on the fork, in the product reviews section on here, a rider actually has a 120mm fork on his and says it rides like a dream. Personally I am throwing on a Fox Vanilla RLC which has 140mm of travel. I can't afford to get a new fork with less travel. The great thing about this frame is the head tube angle (73 degrees) allows the owner to put on a fork with a greater amount of travel. This should help as well...http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/XC_Hardt...t_125122.shtml

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I really like my Leader. I built it up a few years ago after giving up on the LBS's when bike shopping. I just converted it to single speed, and love it even more.
    Like I said, it's a couple years old, 515 model, 19 inch. For rider reference, I'm 5'10" about 200 lbs. I just weighed the bike in at 24.5 lbs.

The only current pics I have can be seen here.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=260

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by bertsdirt
    I really like my Leader. I built it up a few years ago after giving up on the LBS's when bike shopping. I just converted it to single speed, and love it even more.
    Like I said, it's a couple years old, 515 model, 19 inch. For rider reference, I'm 5'10" about 200 lbs. I just weighed the bike in at 24.5 lbs.

The only current pics I have can be seen here.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=260
    Nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Looking good!

Here is a 17" I found on eBay last night...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Since I didn't actually talk about the bike I feel that I should do that...

I ordered the 15" 06 model from BlueSkyCycling 5/31/07 for $79.98. The frame arrived no problem and looked great however the derailleur hanger was bent (I read of others having this same issue). A quick call to BlueSky and I had another hanger @ my door in 3 days. Also I had some issues installing my seat post. After looking there was a large piece of sandpaper in the seat tube. I ended up bending a cloths hanger to get it out.

The only other "issue" I had was with the weight. They list the 15" @ 3.5 lbs. With the frame as light as I can get it (no break bosses) it comes in @ 1653g or 3.64 lbs. Not the end of the world but something to be aware of. Also the FSA ZS-3 headset that Leader lists as 80g is actually 105g. Again not a big deal, but why list a weight if it's wrong.

The build itself was no problem. This was my first build, and I actually disassembled a brand new 17" Forge to "steal" the parts for the Leader, till other parts arrive. My $40 spin doctor tool kit handled everything and I made a headset press (bolt/nut/washer). I was a little worried, but it was easy and I had 0 problems. The brake stops were not an issue for me as the Leader shares the same cable run design as my Forge.

So far I'm VERY happy. The Leader is just a hair smaller than my 17" and fits great, just what I was hoping for! Hopefully the rest of my parts will be here by the end of the week. (Still need a good fork)

Student
    Thats a nice build. hen you et out there on it, you must post some ride pics.

Mar 2006
    I see they offer a 510 and a 516 and was just curious as to what the major difference is. The geometry is just about the same from what I can see on the website. Just wondering which model would hold up better for a heavier rider.

May 2007

Thanks
    I agree with crazy rick, he knows what he is talking about. At your weight you should go with the 516....double butted, as apposed to single, if you want to go with a HT. If you can afford it you may even consider the 526. I believe it is called. I personally chose the 516 due to geometry though, it depends on what type of ride that you want out of the frame. Although you would be very happy with either one. If you are only going to ride the bike on the road then the single butted frame would most liklely due, however if driven off road the frame will most likely not hold up to the stress of your mass travelling at unknown speeds. My old physics teacher would be able to explain it beautifully, I am not a mathematics genious though. Only through personal experience can I offer my opinion.
    Last edited by Edge470; 07-17-2007 at 06:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I see they offer a 510 and a 516 and was just curious as to what the major difference is. The geometry is just about the same from what I can see on the website. Just wondering which model would hold up better for a heavier rider.
    Only difference I noticed from the pics is that the 516 has a gusset while the 510 doesn't. This makes me think the 516 would be better for a heavier rider.

I'm a feather weight so I chose the 516 because of weight and it was on sale.

Here is some more general info...
    http://www.leaderbikeusa.com/products/frames/frames.htm (Notice they don't have the 510H)

510H
    http://www.leaderbikestore.com/pd_ld_510h.cfm

516H
    http://www.leaderbikestore.com/pd_ld_516h.cfm

I also notice the Leader eBay doesn't have the 510 listed??
    http://stores.ebay.com/Leader-Bike-U...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Am I crazy?
    May 2007
    From what I can see, Leader's framing sizing is taken from the length of the center of the BB to the top of the top tube. The seat tube length seems to be an inch more that the frame size.
    I think it is safe to say that the 516H sizing chart on the Leader site is incorrect.

I had plugged my measurements into the fit system on this site www.wrenchscience.com and got a recommended frame size that matches the 516H size 17. I am actually a hair under 6' 9"...

Guys can you try the site and see what your results are? Just curious...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    From what I can see, Leader's framing sizing is taken from the length of the center of the BB to the top of the top tube. The seat tube length seems to be an inch more that the frame size.
    I think it is safe to say that the 516H sizing chart on the Leader site is incorrect.

I had plugged my measurements into the fit system on this site www.wrenchscience.com and got a recommended frame size that matches the 516H size 17. I am actually a hair under 6' 9"...

Guys can you try the site and see what your results are? Just curious...
    Cool Site.

They list me as a 15"/16". Just from my own feel I would say it's right on as my 17" was just a hair big.
    Last edited by jleecong; 07-18-2007 at 06:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    While I love my Leader frame I ordered my headset from the eBay member leaderbikestore and I can NOT suggest anyone buy from this person.
    Last edited by jleecong; 07-18-2007 at 06:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    While I love my Leader frame I ordered my headset from the eBay member leaderbikestore and I can NOT suggest anyone buy from this person.
    why?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by motolombardo
    why?
    After sales support and feedback issues. If I wanted to be treated like crap I would go to Performance

Long story short the seller choose to post retaliating feedback. Since I've been a seller on eBay for over 8 years to me this is a BIG NO NO. If I neutral or neg you because you left out information, forgot to send the directions, or left out a part that is my choice. Feedback isn't for the seller to respond to their feedback (They should have already left it unless they clearly state the do "Forced Feedback"). I myself use a "Buyer Only" account for purchases just because of sellers like Leader... If I post the truth I get retaliating.

Leader PMed me here on the forums, but only made the situation worse, so I asked that he stop while he was ahead.

I love my Leader frame and would buy another from BlueSky without hesitation. I'm just one person and Leader eBay does have a good reputation on eBay.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Can't seem to get true sizing measurements!

I am considering either a Leader 516H in a 15" or 17" size, or a Leader 510H in a 16" size. I called Leader up regarding sizing, and they even admitted that their size charts are off. What I really need is for someone who actually has one of these frames in one of these sizes to do some measuring for me. Specifically I need to know the actual top tube length (center to center), virtual top tube measurement if known, and the seat tube length (center to top). I hope that someone here can help with these measurements. Thanks!

Am I crazy?
    May 2007
    I have a 17" 516H...

Seat tube length (center of bb to top of top tube) = 44cm

Top tube length (center of head tube to center of seat tube) = 65cm

Hope that helps...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have a 17" 516H...

Top tube length (center of head tube to center of seat tube) = 65cm
    That can't be right. 65cm would = 25.5" top tube length.

mtbr member
    Heres mine.

Am I crazy?
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jckid
    That can't be right. 65cm would = 25.5" top tube length.
    Woops!!! You are right jckid...

The top tube length on my 17 frame, centre to centre, is 56cm (~22")...

mtbr member
    What is the effective TT measurement on the 17" frame? I am considering buying one of these frames. Thanks..

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    can somone possibly take a pic of the chainstays where it meets the bottom bracket tube? Looksl like there is plenty of room there and if the specs on their site are right, it is long 17" chainstays. Would be great to see if a 650b wheel could fitr in there

San Diego County

650b with Neo-Moto supposed to = 702mm tall

Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
    can somone possibly take a pic of the chainstays where it meets the bottom bracket tube? Looksl like there is plenty of room there and if the specs on their site are right, it is long 17" chainstays. Would be great to see if a 650b wheel could fitr in there
    Yes please! I was thinking the same thing I have a new Nixon fork on it's way that is supposed to fit a 650b. What a great little bike that would be eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Of course the easiest way to fix this is to go for a hike.
    DT

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The pics of the seatpost stay looks like it will definitely 100% fit, it is the actual chainstays. I saw another pic that looked semi tight. What sucks about Leader is the specs on their site, they make no sense (and also claim they have a 17" chainstay)...

San Diego County

Yup, specs make no sense

This is a quote from the leader website:

LARGEST TIRE SIZE 2.3 X 26 INCHES

Basically I think it means nothing or possibly something
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Of course the easiest way to fix this is to go for a hike.
    DT

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    26" diameter, 2.3" width... how hard is that to understand !?
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

San Diego County
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    26" diameter, 2.3" width... how hard is that to understand !?
    You took my post out of context. I can see how that could happen if you didn't read the entire thread and see the Leader website.

I understand the part I quoted about tire size. It's other parts of the specs page that others besides myself noticed are kinda screwy. If they can screw up the facts on their own specs sheet then perhaps when they say only a 26" x 2.3" they don't mean it or they don't know for sure. Maybe a 650b wheel with a 2.3 tire will fit. Maybe not.

How hard is that to understand!? Have any first hand knowledge of these frames you would like to share?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I was looking for a Leader Bikes thread to post a little info on my new 510H build and this thread looks about as good as any.
    So I got my Leader 510H frame last week, built it up, and got in one nice ride this weekend before the rains hit. My intent was to build up a lightweight budget general-purpose hardtail (to use for a mix of trails and bike path riding). To be honest, I picked the 510H over some other frames I was looking at partially because of color choice. I generally just look for the type of frame/bike I'm interested in and then just take whatever color is available, but in doing so I ended up with several bikes that are various shades of black, gray, and silver, and others that are almost as plain looking. So when I saw the red 510H and it met my other needs, I was sold.

For the price, this seems to be a great frame. The fit and finish are nice and my first ride felt pretty sweat. So overall this is an endorsement for this frame, but I do have a few minor gripes. First off, Leader Bikes needs to put more (and more accurate) info on their site if they really want to sell frames. These are frames that they design so I'm assuming they have a lot more specs available to them, so why not put them on the site rather than have to deal with people emailing questions (or buying elsewhere). When you're buying a frame you like to know things like Fork length recommendations, BB shell width, seatpost size, seat tube collar size, ETT length, standover, etc.
    The info they do provide is confusing on some of their frames (images don’t' match spec measurements, or other weird stuff). As an example on the 510H, they list the frame sizes as 14", 16", 18", and 20", but when you select the frame size to order you have a choice of 15", 17", 19", and 21".

Anyway, I wasn't thrilled about the zero-stack headset (primarily because it meant I was going to have to pay a little more than I normally pay for a headset), but I have to admit the installation of the FSA ZS3 headset I purchased from them with the frame was the easiest I've ever done. I was getting my homemade headset press together when I realized the headset only had to go a very small way into the frame and I could push it partway by hand, so I just grabbed my rubber mallet and a couple of smacks and I was done. Actually, the entire build went that way. Everything just fit together really nice.

My frame (19") weighed in at 4 lb 4 oz, which is a bit higher than the 4 lb listed on their site and quite a bit higher than the 3.7 lb they list on their EBAY listings. For an aluminum XC frame, this is not exactly lightweight, but for frames in this price range it's not bad. My complete build came in at just over 26 lb. A big part of the weight savings on my build were due to me going with v-brakes over discs. While you can get lightweight disc setups, it's going to cost you, so for a lightweight budget build, Vs are still the way to go and I'm really glad that Leader is still including brake posts on their frames.

This frame rides great with my 80mm fork (the geo feels right), however the frame does have a little lower bb height than my other bikes and I quickly noticed that on my ride as I unexpectedly smacked my pedals on roots and rocks a few times.

Edit: I just want to add that the first picture is a better representation of the frame color, it's really a nice looking red. The color in the outdoor pic is a little off.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Members who have read this thread: 0