Snow Summit/Big Bear report- Mtbr.com
    Compulsive Bike Builder

Snow Summit/Big Bear report

I just did Summit last weekend. I took my EVO, it was made for that kind of riding. Is is nice to take a bike up there like that instead of some light XC bike that gets flexy or cannot handle the hits.

As usual, many people I talk to here in Socal think mountain bikes have been banned from the mountain or the lifts. Not true. There are limits as to what kind of bikes they will take and where you can ride, but there is still a good day of riding to be had up there. Think of it an all mountain park, not so much a DH/FR park. My bike fits the requirements except for my 2.6 front tire which is bigger than the max allowed 2.5, and does not fit into their goofy gauge. I don't ask any questions about the rules and I set my bike out of sight when I pay for the lift, they have never pro-actively inspected my bike. One guy in front of me mentioned that his bike was too big for the bike rack the lift operator pointed out...arg! I bring a different front tire just in case.

The place is pretty loose and dusty as is to be expected with as little rain as we have had. As the trails get loose, more rocks get exposed or come loose in the trail, so watch for that. A big front tire really helps.

Pine Knot is in very nice shape, not too loose, but I think they dump fresh loads of rocks at the very bottom of that trail every year. Seriously.

Fall Line has some very loose areas, especially parts of the lower section, it is more like surfing than riding, I had to really lower my saddle.

Pirates is in great shape, loose but still a lot of fun. "The Bench" cut off at the bottom is nice, the tree across the very top has a path through it now or you can jump it, but the landing is very loose and too short. It is doable, but not by me.

Fern Trail is similarly loose and fun. Many trails have been covered with wood chips in some areas. Maybe it helps control the dust or something, and with all the felled trees up there in the aftermath of the fire/bark beetle thing, there is probably plenty of it to be had.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

Apr 2007
    I will be back up there soon. I love that place.

Time is not a road.
    Tire limits? What is it they smoke out there in CA...??

Compulsive Bike Builder

Lawyers and USFS

Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Tire limits? What is it they smoke out there in CA...??
    It is a long story, but it could happen anywhere in the US. I am trying not to go into my usual legal tirade.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

Members who have read this thread: 0