sizing feedback- Mtbr.com

Thread: sizing feedback

Feb 2004

sizing feedback

I am planning on ordering a custom SS frame. I have this drawing but can make some adjustments. Please let me know what you think as this is my first custom frame.
    My specs:

height: ‘6
    weight: 175
    inseam: ‘2 “8.25
    Torso: ‘1 "4
    arm: ‘2 ".5

Any advice would be mucho appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    The numbers you spec'd are pretty straight-forward. You may want to spec that the BB end of the seat tube be ovalized to increase the stiffness a bit OR spec a 31.7 seat tube instead.

And if it's rocky where you ride, or you're going to run longer cranks, your 11.625 BB height is slightly lower than normal. If that's what you like, then go for it. Should work well in most situations.

What were your reasons for choosing a custom?

Feb 2004

custom

I want to go custom because I want steel, disk specific, and EBB. The price was right and i couldn’t find a production bike that had EBB disk? The only problem is that I have been riding a bianchi BASS since 97 so i am not totally sure what I want or need. These specs are for a 100mm fork that I have decided against. I dont think 100mm will be good for xc racing. The BB height is a good point I will talk to the builder about. For all the cranking I will be doing on that thing I should get the rear triangle as stiff as possible. I want to get a clear idea of what i really want before I order. Thanks for your feedback DFL.

mtbr member
    I should actually read people's posts before responding. You're right, there aren't many SSs available like you spec'd.

If you're ultra smooth and your terrain is rough, you may like the 100mm fork, but SSs usually require a lot more body movement and you may find the 100mm fork to be too active.

At your size, make sure the builder doesn't go with ultra thin tubing. With the SS, you'll want good lateral stiffness and this'll probably require tubes .1mm or so thicker than on a comparable gearie. (depends on how you ride, though)

Good luck with the build!

mtbr member

Have you checked out Haro?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfrog
    I want to go custom because I want steel, disk specific, and EBB. The price was right and i couldn’t find a production bike that had EBB disk? The only problem is that I have been riding a bianchi BASS since 97 so i am not totally sure what I want or need. These specs are for a 100mm fork that I have decided against. I dont think 100mm will be good for xc racing. The BB height is a good point I will talk to the builder about. For all the cranking I will be doing on that thing I should get the rear triangle as stiff as possible. I want to get a clear idea of what i really want before I order. Thanks for your feedback DFL.

Haro's SS werx frame is steel, Disc only and EBB. Plus it's not super expensive. I believe their 19 is spec'd the same as your numbers (other than the low BB). Check'em out http://www.harobikes.com/2004/parts/frames.html

Good Luck!
    (by the way I am not affiliated, in fact I ride two custom SyCip's including an SS)

Feb 2004

Yea

Haro looks kinda sweet. Do you know where I can see the numbers on that frame?

mtbr member

I think these are what you are looking for....

Size Med
    Head Angle 69
    Seat Angle 71
    Top Tube 23.4 / 595.6
    Seat Tube
    (To Top ) 19.5 /495.3
    Chain Stay 16.7 /425
    BB Height 12.6 /320
    Wheel Base 42.3 /1074.7
    Stand Over 29.5 /749.3
    Weight

Size Lg
    Head Angle 69
    Seat Angle 71
    Top Tube 24.4 /619.3
    Seat Tube
    (To Top ) 21.5 /546.1
    Chain Stay 16.7 /425
    BB Height 12.6 /320
    Wheel Base 43.2 /1098.4
    Stand Over 30.5 /774.7
    Weight

Page "ssmike" in retro for more info. He rides one of these he will have riding impressions for you.

Feb 2004

Thanks

Diesel.

I am still going with my custom. The numbers are still pretty similar. The Haro has a really high BB height. I ma not sure what my bb height will be but as is its to low. How is the rear end of your Sycip? I had one of their frames in 95. It was one inch tubing and flexy as hell. Nice for the tight single track but as soon as I got to the down hill or an open fire road it was a noodle. How is your SS for latteral stiffness?

mtbr member

Comfy...

I am 5'11" and 230 lbs. It is nice and compliant on the flats and downhill but, stiff when I am climbing. All around great frame! Plus working with Jay and Jeremy was awesome.

Good Luck in your decision.

I like butter
    Jan 2004

Sycip EBB = stiff BB

one of my Sycips is EBB, disk only horizontal drops and all braze-ons for gears so i can run it as anything i want. IT IS WAY FRIGGIN STIFF. Everyone that rides it always complements on that fact so I would say go for one. I also use it with a 100mm fork and have had no problems with that either. Talked to Jeremy the other day and he said that they are now building lot of bikes that way and like Diesel said, both Jay and Jeremy are great to talk to and willing to try lots of things with your projects (like my bull-moose bars they are building) hope this helps
    wESd
    head grunt worker
    www.firstflightbikes.com