Signs of the carbon fiber rear end!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Signs of the carbon fiber rear end!

Found this here: http://www.adrenalinebikes.com/store...0AND%20Road%29

"This is the new 2008 XCL with a carbon rear end (chain and seat stays). The XCL Carbon Pro is 40 percent more laterally rigid and weighs over half a pound less than the XCL Comp, yet costs only $300 more! The carbon is so strong that in destructive impact testing, it was found to be substantially stroger than the aluminum rear on the XCL comp. All other design elements are identical to the XCL Comp. ... Note: photo is of the reg. XCL comp. We will have a XCL Pro pic posted soon. (The visual difference is minor unless seen close up.)"

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Will this be a aftermarket option for us older XCL owners? I've had mine for 2 months!

yarrrp
    May 2007
    repost

WWJR
    ques: are the '08's commin out soon or sumthn?
    Last edited by IH8MUD; 03-08-2008 at 09:59 AM.
    -Santa Cruz TBLTc
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down... all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Apr 2007
    With a post like that why would anyone buy an 07. I would want the new carbon model.
    I like carbon for XC. I have a carbon rear on my salsa it rides nice.

mtbr member
    To clarify - I have already asked Adrenaline to remove that information. There are NO confirmations on anything carbon yet.

But, even assuming we went ahead with such an idea, it would most likely be in the form of a substantively different frame than the current XCL. A carbon bike would probably be designed for more XC usage -- rather than the all mountain durability and light freeride capability of the current XCL.

Make no mistake, the current XCL in its form is a proven design with an extremely high performance capability - not only durability wise, but also on strength-to-weight comparisons, as well as pedaling efficiency, torsional and lateral rigidity, and suspension feel (imo probably one of the best values on the market today); and it will be around for years to come. Keep in mind, there has already been over ten years of R&D poured into the XCL frame.

Sorry for the confusion everyone.
    Last edited by CHUMBAevo; 03-11-2008 at 02:48 AM.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I would still take an 07... But thats me...Carbon is cool if it was even true, but to me thats for the real riders who know what they are doing!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Sorry for posting that.

nerfherder
    Knowing that the CF rear end was coming did nothing to change my mind. Carbon's swanky and all but no thanks. Just not interested.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thank god!!! I don't care what anybody else thinks..... I hate carbon on mountainbikes..Trailbikes to be more specific. I want to ride and know without a doubt that if... and I mean if, I go down I won't have to worry about whether I cracked, scratched or broke my expensive to replace carbon stays.... It might ride nice and it might be stiff but it can't handle straight up " I slammed into that rock impacts"... In short.. I want to ride, not worry about the bike getting scratched. Dare to be different .....aluminum forerver!!!! Thank you for your time. Stump.
    Last edited by stumpjumper4117; 03-18-2008 at 09:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Ok.... lost my head there for a second.. I could see carbon on an xc racer, groomed course and all but not on a trail bike.... Epic rides, adventure rides, out in the middle of nowhere rides. You just want to be sure that your bike will be in one piece......,. even if you're not. StumpyJ.

shred my gnar
    agreed... no carbon parts (or frames) for this guy!

in fact, that is one of the reasons i went with the xcl over the yeti 575... yeti added the carbon seat stays to stiffen up a notoriously flexy frame... ive found that the xcl is PLENTY stiff as is. the carbon will obviously lighten the load but if my xcl had a carbon rear it would, without question, be beat to hell already.

Mar 2008

Sign of Carbon

In my opinion carbon fiber belongs first and foremost on road bikes, albeit, component wise I have personally had a carbon fiber road handle bar "secretly snap" under bar tape after just one minor impact on my road bike. The bar actually completely failed (snapped) while riding after the impact when it completely gave out about two miles further into the ride. That being said, carbon fiber road frames can be tuned for certain desired ride qualities and a carbon fiber front fork and rear stay definitely takes the "buzz" out on the pavement as compared to aluminum.

I have been with friends mountain biking when their "monkeylites" failed (two occasions). Years ago, a friend of mine fractured/snapped his old K2/Proflex carbon MTB frame when the frame grazed a tree when he bailed out on a very technical descent. I continue to use carbon components for road bike use however, relative to mountain biking ; I along with my group of mountainbiking friends have totally eliminated the substance from our bikes , which include cross country,all mountain and freeride rigs. My Evo sports all aluminum freeride level stuff. My Moots Ti Smoothie, which I use as my cross country ride, sports no carbon fiber anything. Relative to weight, I will take the extra 1/2 or 2 lbs for the peace of mind. None of its rotational anyway.

Really, does that carbon fiber seat stay, handlebar,seatpost really make a huge difference at the end of the day? Maybe in certain specific applications,e.g, Look definitely tunes the stuff in on their road and mtb race frames and it makes a huge difference. But come on, a cross country mountain bike chain stay! why ? and it looks "cheezy" to boot. Carbon fiber seems to have lost it's asthetic/high tech look appeal. Seems like every bike maker out there at every level has jumped on the "carbon fiber" marketing exploitation band wagon. The stuff obviously helps sell bikes ( hey look , I have a carbon fiber seat stayy!!! kind of thing).

Please, no carbon fiber on the XCL ( Unless a full blown dedicated cross country limited production racing rig version is the objective) - Otherwise it would just be wrong !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vegen
    Sorry for posting that.
    Sorry for what?
    You were just passing along some information that you came across. That's what this forum is all about.

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnczy
    Please, no carbon fiber on the XCL ( Unless a full blown dedicated cross country limited production racing rig version is the objective) - Otherwise it would just be wrong !
    Damn! And I was just gettn into my new bars...

Mar 2008

Sign of Carbon Fiber

Hullendersauce,

Just make sure you keep on top of / monitor the bars relative to scratches and scrapes, chips. Periodically check under stem clamp for signs of damage to the bars finish,etc. Carbon Fiber bars are claimed to be all kind of strong in the sterile lab tests used by the manufactures for stress , strength, blah ,blah, blah! However, read the warranty info. Warranty is usually voided after any impact (In the real word that is/not the lab - On the trails we ride).

Mar 2008

Sign of Carbon Fiber

Hullendersauce,

Just make sure you keep on top of / monitor the bars relative to scratches and scrapes, chips. Periodically check under stem clamp for signs of damage to the bars finish,etc. Carbon Fiber bars are claimed to be all kind of strong in the sterile lab tests used by the manufactures for stress , strength, blah ,blah, blah! However, read the warranty info. Warranty is usually voided after any impact (In the real word that is/not the lab - On the trails we ride).

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnczy
    Hullendersauce,

Word! Thanks for the tip!

Mar 2008
    Hullendersauce,

No sweat. Glad I was of some help.

From what I can tell in your photo you have a killer XCL. Enjoy

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Adrenaline Bikes is back to advertising the XCL with a Pro carbon fiber rear....what's the scoop? Sounds like a case of "when" not "if".

Mark

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by mad4mtnbike
    Adrenaline Bikes is back to advertising the XCL with a Pro carbon fiber rear....what's the scoop? Sounds like a case of "when" not "if".

Mark
    Hey Mark,

If anything we are leaning towards making the XCL beefier - and we would go with a new model altogether if we decided to incorporate carbon.

-A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks
    I use my XCL primarily as a long travel XC machine. It works great on the rocky, rooty, twisty singletrack here in New England. Others use it more for FR/AM so I understand making 2 flavors. Although it's nice to have the versatility if I decide to head to the White Mountains which I do on occasion.

Any word on the Ti hardware that was talked about a few months back?

Mark

Members who have read this thread: 0