seven duo /ML 7 mono link problems- Mtbr.com

Sep 2005

seven duo /ML 7 mono link problems

I seem to gather from both companies that im the only person to have suffered from bb thread corrosion in my drive side ,ive also had issues with slackening pivot bolt and even when tight odd creak whilst under load.I always use medium strengh thread lock and apply 70 inch foot pounds of tourque any views!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Your bb probably corrodes as a result of the conditions you ride in or the maintanence (lack of) that you perform on it. If bb corrosion has been a problem, make sure you avoid power washing. Take out your bb a couple of times a season to clean and relubricate it. With proper care, there is no reason you should have such a problem.

Make sure you use tons of anti seize around the bushings and in the chamfered area where the nut and bolt are both recessed. Your bike is creaking because it is not adequately lubricated or cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by stickman
    I seem to gather from both companies that im the only person to have suffered from bb thread corrosion in my drive side ,ive also had issues with slackening pivot bolt and even when tight odd creak whilst under load.I always use medium strengh thread lock and apply 70 inch foot pounds of tourque any views!!!

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot
    Your bb probably corrodes as a result of the conditions you ride in or the maintanence (lack of) that you perform on it. If bb corrosion has been a problem, make sure you avoid power washing. Take out your bb a couple of times a season to clean and relubricate it. With proper care, there is no reason you should have such a problem.

Make sure you use tons of anti seize around the bushings and in the chamfered area where the nut and bolt are both recessed. Your bike is creaking because it is not adequately lubricated or cleaned.
    Hi roseyscot,i think you missed my point it is not my bb thread that has corroded but the thread cut in the magnesium mono link !! it also occured only on the drive side , i was just trying to find out if any one else had had problems!! I clean my bike by hand after every ride and follow the maintanence schedule to the letter, you suggest using anti seize but did you not know that copper ,nickel and graphit are all reactive elements to magnesium,i use calcium based stern tube grease as its designed to resist wash out , i just wondered if maverick have had any problems with their DPP coating,as for my creak being down to not adequate lube or cleaning as you say i think not!! lube does not make thread locked torqued nut back off this has to be caused by flex or binding in the pivot frame or mono link parts(the last tests of both Seven and Maverick bikes by Mountain bike action have also shown the same problem!!) i posted the link to find out about other owners experiences and to see if any one had any sound engineering based ideas Thanks all the same!!

Gentleman Loser
    Stick,

No, dude, you are not the only one. Since 01, I've been through three Mg links on my ML-7. All wore out on the drive side.

The new service guys at Maverick, Ethan and Dennis, are good people, but they haven't been there long enough to see this problem repeat.

Best solution is to get the new Al link from Maverick (and why do you think it's Al? ).

Although you may need to buy a 7.2 shock to go with the new link, I suggest that it is a worthy upgrade.

Best,

Tom

Members who have read this thread: 0