Seatpost slippage on XCL- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Seatpost slippage on XCL

Anybody had this issue yet ? 07 XCL with the Chumba logo quick release.
    I have to keep it all the way torqued and by the end of the ride it's still
    slipped down about an inch. Do I need to buy another QR or is this one fixable ?
    Any suggestions on what to get ?

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    I've had the same issue. I have to really crank on it to keep the seatpost (mostly) from sinking.

For unrelated reasons (i.e. weight reduction) I replaced my Chumba collar with a Syntace one. So far so good.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

I'm living the dream!
    I didn't have a problem with the logo QR but I changed to a Hope QR just for the bling factor. No slippage there either.

Which post are you using? I had a Thomson on another bike that would not stay put (surprising, I know). I bought a new clamp (Salsa) and still, the post would keep slipping. I eventually swapped it out with a RF Post I had laying around not expecting that to be the problem but the RF post held tight as could be. I contacted Thomson and they just said send it to us and we'll replace it. I did, they sent out a replacement and viola! no more slippage. I guess they had a bad batch or something because the CS guy didn't seem too surprised on the phone.

If it's possible, borrow another seat post to see if that's the problem.

WWJR
    try tightening the bolt with the QR closed. I think it takes a 5mm.?.?.? just give it a small turn, then check it.....turn, check, etc... i think yur QR just needs a lil tuning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Upset

The seatpost is a RF Deus. I've had the bike since July and haven't had any
    problems until I started messing with it more recently, experimenting with
    lowering for better downhill geometry. The collar actually becomes loose on the
    frame now, so I've had to push it down a couple times + tighten it to the max.
    I just got from a ride a little while ago, and toward the end of the ride I was wondering
    why climbing was so hard. Sure enough, it had slipped down 2 inches during the
    ride. So the question now is, is it the QR or the seatpost. I guess I need to figure that out.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Mine slips too. Drives me nuts. Funny how an inch or so can ruin the climbability of a bike. I'm going to get a non QR version of a clamp and tighten the hell out of it as needed. FWIW- I run a Thomson seatpost and the Chumba QR clamp.

mtbr member
    I have the same problem with my Gravity Dropper. Although it only slips down a little...maybe 1cm. But it's enough to notice and annoy me on climbs.

mtbr member
    Same problem here.
    I replaced the stock one with a Syntace one and even though I crank it to the point that I can barely open the clamp, it still slips a bit. I also use a thomson post.

Jan 2004
    I didn't notice mine slipping but it did spin around on me when I was leaning through a turn (I tend to lean my leg against the front part of my seat when I'm doing this).

I also have a Thomson seatpost. I have a Truvativ that is the same size as well, maybe I'll try that one.

it's....
    07 XCL, logo clamp and Thomson Elite post, no slippage whatsoever.
    Try some chalk on the post?

I'm on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    07 XCL, logo clamp and Thomson Elite post, no slippage whatsoever.
    Ditto, no issues here with that same setup. And the Chumba clamp is pretty bling in my opinion. Got a Salsa one that will sit in the parts box until I find reason to switch.
    Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY

shred my gnar
    thompson post w/ hope qr and no slippage.

Jan 2004
    Although made for carbon items you might try Tacx Dynamic Carbon Assembly Paste. This stuff has prevented seatpost slippage with much lower torque values on clamp. Although it says "carbon" in the name, on the Tacx web site they mention it can be used with aluminum. Fixed all my seatpost slippage problems.

mtbr member
    Mine just started slipping this week. Chumba QR, Thompson seatpost. Just tightened it up, so we'll see.

Members who have read this thread: 0