Seat stay question- Mtbr.com
    locked - time out

Seat stay question

Since my ride on the Evo I can't stop thinking about the way the seat stay kept hitting my ankle. If I was moving in a straight line I had no problem but the moment I turned or threw the bike around that stay would hit the ankle. Not hard but enough to wonder if there would be the chance of a real injury.
    I have boney little ankles so "Kankles" are not the problem.

Any opinions?

shred my gnar
    i had that problem with my xcl but it was my calf not my ankle... and noticed it when i was really leaning into a turn. noticed it on my first couple rides and have never noticed since. i actually caught the heel of my shoe a couple times on the chainstays while getting out of the seat to climb as well...

for me, everything back there is so much beefier than my old bike that it just took a few rides to get used to... no problems now!

give it some time...

mtbr member
    Were/are you guys using platforms?

I usually use clips and I've never had my ankle hit. I've had my calf rub a few times, but that was usually from me fidgeting in my seat during an extended climb.

I've having a hard time imagining how ankles could hit unless you really had your ankles turned in on platforms (toes pointing outward).

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    Were/are you guys using platforms?

I usually use clips and I've never had my ankle hit. I've had my calf rub a few times, but that was usually from me fidgeting in my seat during an extended climb.

I've having a hard time imagining how ankles could hit unless you really had your ankles turned in on platforms (toes pointing outward).

Like I mentioned it's when I'm moving around on the bike. That's likely when my ankle does turn in and bump there's the stay. Maybe I need some new pedals and cleats. They are pretty worn.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    I've got huge clown feet (11-1/2 EEE) and massive calves. In 3 rides to date I haven't once contacted the stays on my XCL.

locked - time out
    The stay on the XCL is smaller than the EVO. Probably why there is less contact.

shred my gnar
    i was using brand new candys and brand new 661 shoes so that may have had something to do with it also... the cleats arent dialed in yet.

ive since switched back to my 8 YEAR OLD shimano pedals that have been beat to hell but never broken vs the brand new cb candy c that broke after about 3 or 4 rides. gotta love that new fangled gear!

like i said... it have never noticed it since the first couple rides.

Apr 2007
    I have not hit and my feet they are size 13. I think if I twist my heel in a little it would hit but I always ride toe in. Remember the old Grafton brakes well lets just say I cough my foot on one of those things and my feet never go near the seat stay any more. That was before the V brakes where out. The XCL has a little more clearance than the EVO. I ride the EVO and never hit. I love it .

Members who have read this thread: 0