San Juan: Chumba racing and Bike Co demo day- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    117

    San Juan: Chumba racing and Bike Co demo day

    check it out

  2. #2
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,936
    wow Chumba is back....I thought they went out of biz a few years ago (or at least stop production)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  3. #3
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,696
    I see a lot of Chumbas on the Fullerton Loop near my house. They seem to look new, but you're right, you never hear of them anymore.

    I wonder if The Bike Co will show up for their event - that is the flakiest shop I've ever dealt with.

  4. #4
    giddy up!
    Reputation: donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,247
    Chumba is alive and well and has been building bikes all along. I'm glad they've stood the test of time...they build some great stuff.

    As for organized shuttle runs at San Juan......Lame with a capital L. If you want to ride down you need ride up.

    B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

  5. #5
    Why aren't you riding????
    Reputation: offtheedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    Chumba is alive and well and has been building bikes all along. I'm glad they've stood the test of time...they build some great stuff.

    As for organized shuttle runs at San Juan......Lame with a capital L. If you want to ride down you need ride up.

    B

    It had to be said!

    2 hour up and back on a demo bike...........yeah, that works.

    If i ride up and then bomb down do you still greet me with elbows out and hate "my type" of riding?

    were the indians allowed to walk down if they didn't walk up?

    can't we all just get along.....oh wait, no we can't because shuttling is lame.

  6. #6
    giddy up!
    Reputation: donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by offtheedge
    It had to be said!

    2 hour up and back on a demo bike...........yeah, that works.

    If i ride up and then bomb down do you still greet me with elbows out and hate "my type" of riding?

    were the indians allowed to walk down if they didn't walk up?

    can't we all just get along.....oh wait, no we can't because shuttling is lame.
    2 hours on a demo bike is not that unreasonable.....and how long do you think it would take a person to load up said demo bike in a van, drive up and then ride down? The time difference would be very minimal. I regularly climb up San Juan and arrive at the rock long before the shuttlers who left the lot at the same time I did.

    I just think that having organized shuttles on one of the most overused trails in Orange County is a bit much.

    No hard feelings....I'm sure you have opinions as well.

    B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

  7. #7
    Why aren't you riding????
    Reputation: offtheedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    2 hours on a demo bike is not that unreasonable.....and how long do you think it would take a person to load up said demo bike in a van, drive up and then ride down? The time difference would be very minimal. I regularly climb up San Juan and arrive at the rock long before the shuttlers who left the lot at the same time I did.

    I just think that having organized shuttles on one of the most overused trails in Orange County is a bit much.

    No hard feelings....I'm sure you have opinions as well.

    B

    none at all. i agree that the location is a very poor choice..and on a wkend

    I do however think demoing a bike should be more fun than work, especially from the sellers point of view.

    cheers

  8. #8
    Mmmmmm Beer!
    Reputation: CPATCRASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    617
    I would have to agree here. More than half of the ride is climbing so wouldn't you want to know how the bike climbs too?
    Last edited by CPATCRASH; 05-18-2006 at 03:10 PM.
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

  9. #9
    Why aren't you riding????
    Reputation: offtheedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    426
    there is no lack of pedaling either way.

  10. #10
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,696
    Quote Originally Posted by CPATCRASH
    I would have to agree here. More than half of the ride is climbing so wouldn't you want to know howthe bike climbs too?
    It all depends on what you like to have fun doing. I enjoy shuttling SJT on a longer travel bike. Does the trail require this kind of bike? Hell no! I've climbed SJT many times on my fully rigid singlespeed, and have no problem doing so. Do I need to "earn" the downhill? Yes, I work Monday thru Friday to pay for my bikes - I earned them, and so I earned whatever kind of riding I want..

    Granted, I can't hit things the same as the bigger bike, but the rigid SS can do it just fine. And in some sections - especially the switchbacks - the SS is much faster. But so what? Some days I just like to shuttle. I sometimes have more fun doing so. Don't like to shuttle? Then don't! Do what you enjoy, and let others do what they enjoy!

  11. #11
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,696
    And now I have to poke some fun...

    And to all of you who think they're too cool because you climb SJT - with your derailleurs, gears, and some sort of suspension, I have one thing to say, Get off your lazy @ss, get rid of those training wheels (gears and suspension) and man up to ride the trail old school and quit complaining about how others want to ride.
    When I'm on my SS, I always get a chuckle out of your type (who think they're too cool because they're climbin', not shuttlin') when I pass you guys, because most often you're sitting on your butt in granny gear. Stand up!

  12. #12
    giddy up!
    Reputation: donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    And now I have to poke some fun...

    And to all of you who think they're too cool because you climb SJT - with your derailleurs, gears, and some sort of suspension, I have one thing to say, Get off your lazy @ss, get rid of those training wheels (gears and suspension) and man up to ride the trail old school and quit complaining about how others want to ride.
    When I'm on my SS, I always get a chuckle out of your type (who think they're too cool because they're climbin', not shuttlin') when I pass you guys, because most often you're sitting on your butt in granny gear. Stand up!
    I'm not sure what gears and suspension has to do with shuttling....but it's always entertaining to read a good internet-rant.

    For the record....I can't remember the last time I rode SJT on a multi-speed or suspension. I'd venture to guess that it's been 6-7 years.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    And now I have to poke some fun...

    And to all of you who think they're too cool because you climb SJT - with your derailleurs, gears, and some sort of suspension, I have one thing to say, Get off your lazy @ss, get rid of those training wheels (gears and suspension) and man up to ride the trail old school and quit complaining about how others want to ride.
    When I'm on my SS, I always get a chuckle out of your type (who think they're too cool because they're climbin', not shuttlin') when I pass you guys, because most often you're sitting on your butt in granny gear. Stand up!
    If you really want to "man up", you get off the bike and run it. Lose the sprockets, chain and wheels and just move those legs. You want old school, get a 50lb pack and hike up. That would put some hair on your chest.

  14. #14
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,696
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    I'm not sure what gears and suspension has to do with shuttling....but it's always entertaining to read a good internet-rant.

    For the record....I can't remember the last time I rode SJT on a multi-speed or suspension. I'd venture to guess that it's been 6-7 years.
    Right on! Then my rant doesn't apply to you.

  15. #15
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,696
    Quote Originally Posted by ellsklein
    If you really want to "man up", you get off the bike and run it. Lose the sprockets, chain and wheels and just move those legs. You want old school, get a 50lb pack and hike up. That would put some hair on your chest.
    I do that occasionally, too (not at SJT, though - too many bikes). The SS with 32:18 (and other guys have even tougher gears) is often more difficult. You can hike up sections as slowly as you want. In some areas where you're really tired, you have to sprint the SS to clear obstacles.

  16. #16
    Mmmmmm Beer!
    Reputation: CPATCRASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    617

    Not what I ment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    It all depends on what you like to have fun doing. I enjoy shuttling SJT on a longer travel bike. Does the trail require this kind of bike? Hell no! I've climbed SJT many times on my fully rigid singlespeed, and have no problem doing so. Do I need to "earn" the downhill? Yes, I work Monday thru Friday to pay for my bikes - I earned them, and so I earned whatever kind of riding I want..

    Granted, I can't hit things the same as the bigger bike, but the rigid SS can do it just fine. And in some sections - especially the switchbacks - the SS is much faster. But so what? Some days I just like to shuttle. I sometimes have more fun doing so. Don't like to shuttle? Then don't! Do what you enjoy, and let others do what they enjoy!
    I ment that if I were to demo a bike I would want to see how it performed in more situations and not just downhill. I have both shuttled San Juan on a full squish and ridden up it on many different bikes including a rigid SS. When I first started back in 1986 you didn't have a choice.
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

  17. #17

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    2 hours on a demo bike is not that unreasonable.....and how long do you think it would take a person to load up said demo bike in a van, drive up and then ride down? The time difference would be very minimal. I regularly climb up San Juan and arrive at the rock long before the shuttlers who left the lot at the same time I did.

    I just think that having organized shuttles on one of the most overused trails in Orange County is a bit much.
    B
    Who cares how long it takes to make it roundtrip shuttling or pedaling. If your shuttling maybe you want to stop at the Candy Store and get something. If you're pedaling maybe you want to stop on the way up and clean your cogs. I never knew it was a race. It is about fun. Maybe you like fat chicks and others don't. Doesn't matter. Once again...either way it's still fun.

    Most of those that are critical of shuttling or DH are not skilled or confident enough to ride this style of riding and have fun.

    I'll agree SJT is not the best location but I think Chumba is pushing the DH and all- mountain bikes and SJT offers both the shuttle and pedal option.

    Just my opinion, I am sure everybody has their own.

  18. #18
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,696
    Quote Originally Posted by CPATCRASH
    I ment that if I were to demo a bike I would want to see how it performed in more situations and not just downhill. I have both shuttled San Juan on a full squish and ridden up it on many different bikes including a rigid SS. When I first started back in 1986 you didn't have a choice.
    Point taken, but you know there is still a fair amount of climbing even if you do shuttle.

    I hear ya about the 80s. Back then, with those handlebar/stem combos, those bikes were scary! I worked in a bike shop through much of the 80s. I rode most of the Fullerton Loop (then, near my father's house) on my BMX bike. For those who rode the loop back then may remember the BMX track near Parks Jr high school. Ah the good ol' days.

    Man, did I take this thread off topic - sorry!
    At least this thread keeps coming back to the top.

  19. #19
    Over the Hill
    Reputation: dstepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,768
    I think the whole situation on San Juan is very sad. Years back I used to climb that trail 2 + times a month on the weekends. I still go out there but usually on an early weekday morning.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgy
    Maybe you like fat chicks and others don't.
    ha ha!

    I climb SJT using a 47-4 combo. Normally I climb on my beach cruiser but when I really feel like challenging myself I climb it riding backwards. It helps when me when I use those little round mirror things mounted on my helmet.

    I am the coolest......at least I think so....

  21. #21
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,994

    Yep, Yep and yep

    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    2 hours on a demo bike is not that unreasonable.....and how long do you think it would take a person to load up said demo bike in a van, drive up and then ride down? The time difference would be very minimal. I regularly climb up San Juan and arrive at the rock long before the shuttlers who left the lot at the same time I did.

    I just think that having organized shuttles on one of the most overused trails in Orange County is a bit much.

    No hard feelings....I'm sure you have opinions as well.

    B
    You are spot on Donkey, this much used much loved trail doesn't need a bike store conducting, advertising biz & shuttle runs.
    As much as I like The Bike Co. of Lake Forest, bad call on their part.

    Though I'd never shuttle the SJT, most the private citizen shuttlers I "run" into on that trail,
    handle their bikes well enough to not scare me anymore than we XC freaks probably scare each other coming down.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    You are spot on Donkey, this much used much loved trail doesn't need a bike store conducting, advertising biz & shuttle runs.
    As much as I like The Bike Co. of Lake Forest, bad call on their part.

    Though I'd never shuttle the SJT, most the private citizen shuttlers I "run" into on that trail,
    handle their bikes well enough to not scare me anymore than we XC freaks probably scare each other coming down.
    When you are promoting a bike, Chumba, wouldn't it make sense to let people demo a bike on a trail that a lot of people know? Make their experience on the bike more enjoyable??

    San Juan is a great place for this event. I am sure if everyone showed up this weekend and wanted to ride up, no one from the Bike Co would complain. There isn't going to be 500 people there. I would be amazed if there was more than 25.

    You SJT Nazi's are blowing this way out of proportion.

  23. #23
    Why aren't you riding????
    Reputation: offtheedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    I think the whole situation on San Juan is very sad. Years back I used to climb that trail 2 + times a month on the weekends. I still go out there but usually on an early weekday morning.

    what's sad? the fact that many people enjoy the trail now.
    i don't like traffic anymore than the next guy, but public land is public land.

    I think it's really sad that alot of the older riders don't think the new breed have any right to be on trails they had for themselves for so long. I think it is sad that on SJ in particular, one of ten uphillers will even acknowledge my hello's or well wishes. I think it sad that my dual crown has made me the enemy. I think all you old elitist need to get down off your high horse and accept that times change, riding changes and not understanding the reasons someone rides doesn't make them wrong.

    This isn't directed at anyone, it's just an observation of the incredible amount of elitist [email protected] i have met on OC trails. no place i have ever biked even comes close.

  24. #24
    ...In the meantime.
    Reputation: EvilBkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    196
    CPATCRASH have you done SJ on that sweet new(ish) 29er of yours yet? I wanna borrow that thing for a day...what a beautiful bike...

  25. #25
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,994

    Shuttling or not, riding is riding

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonz
    When you are promoting a bike, Chumba, wouldn't it make sense to let people demo a bike on a trail that a lot of people know? Make their experience on the bike more enjoyable??

    San Juan is a great place for this event. I am sure if everyone showed up this weekend and wanted to ride up, no one from the Bike Co would complain. There isn't going to be 500 people there. I would be amazed if there was more than 25.

    You SJT Nazi's are blowing this way out of proportion.
    selling bikes is another story.

    I'm sure there are lot of hikers and local residents that are just itching to bounce us from the local trails, or maybe I'm just paranoid, maybe all is well.

  26. #26
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,994

    You are wrong about a lot of us

    Quote Originally Posted by offtheedge
    what's sad? the fact that many people enjoy the trail now.
    i don't like traffic anymore than the next guy, but public land is public land.

    I think it's really sad that alot of the older riders don't think the new breed have any right to be on trails they had for themselves for so long. I think it is sad that on SJ in particular, one of ten uphillers will even acknowledge my hello's or well wishes. I think it sad that my dual crown has made me the enemy. I think all you old elitist need to get down off your high horse and accept that times change, riding changes and not understanding the reasons someone rides doesn't make them wrong.

    This isn't directed at anyone, it's just an observation of the incredible amount of elitist [email protected] i have met on OC trails. no place i have ever biked even comes close.
    I've given my last tube, more than once to a shuttler.

    A few years back, my buddy helped a young shuttler who crashed bad walk the 2+ hours down, while I pushed his (a real cool orange Chuck HT) bike down.

    A cool fat freerider who was riding his 35lb + bike up with no issues, gave me one of his Budweiser tall cans.

    I meet an old (40ish) school teacher who after riding up to lunch rock, smoked out my group and a couple of shuttlers, before eating his sub sandwich and pedaling up to the main divide to hit some more trails.

    Not to long ago, I followed a group of about 8 shuttlers down an off shoot with a nasty bad ending that everyone did a stallie before attempting, there was some close calls and the second to the last DHer, a 50ish year old, old guy, took an NFL sized hit up against a stump and pretended it didn't hurt.

    Yes, I know there are a-holes everywhere but there are a lot of cool colorful MTBRs both young and old, Downhillers, XC freaks and everything inbetween that frequent the SJT and make the trail even more of a blast.

  27. #27

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    And now I have to poke some fun...

    And to all of you who think they're too cool because you climb SJT - with your derailleurs, gears, and some sort of suspension, I have one thing to say, Get off your lazy @ss, get rid of those training wheels (gears and suspension) and man up to ride the trail old school and quit complaining about how others want to ride.
    When I'm on my SS, I always get a chuckle out of your type (who think they're too cool because they're climbin', not shuttlin') when I pass you guys, because most often you're sitting on your butt in granny gear. Stand up!
    Um . . . yeah you have issues.

  28. #28
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    I've given my last tube, more than once to a shuttler.

    A few years back, my buddy helped a young shuttler who crashed bad walk the 2+ hours down, while I pushed his (a real cool orange Chuck HT) bike down.

    A cool fat freerider who was riding his 35lb + bike up with no issues, gave me one of his Budweiser tall cans.

    I meet an old (40ish) school teacher who after riding up to lunch rock, smoked out my group and a couple of shuttlers, before eating his sub sandwich and pedaling up to the main divide to hit some more trails.

    Not to long ago, I followed a group of about 8 shuttlers down an off shoot with a nasty bad ending that everyone did a stallie before attempting, there was some close calls and the second to the last DHer, a 50ish year old, old guy, took an NFL sized hit up against a stump and pretended it didn't hurt.

    Yes, I know there are a-holes everywhere but there are a lot of cool colorful MTBRs both young and old, Downhillers, XC freaks and everything inbetween that frequent the SJT and make the trail even more of a blast.

    there are good in all and bad in all.....best to have fu in whatever you do Pedaling up or shuttling down
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  29. #29
    You're gonna love my nuts
    Reputation: Bomber Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    36

    Bonking ... not feelin' well Anybody Demo

    Not to digress from the topic at hand, but did anybody show up & demo, shuttling, riding, walking or running!!!???
    Drop from on high

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rodel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
    Not to digress from the topic at hand, but did anybody show up & demo, shuttling, riding, walking or running!!!???
    how dare you threadjack!

  31. #31
    Made in China
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    I see a lot of Chumbas on the Fullerton Loop near my house. They seem to look new, but you're right, you never hear of them anymore.

    I wonder if The Bike Co will show up for their event - that is the flakiest shop I've ever dealt with.
    Chumba people ride every thursday night 6:30 at fullerton loop. If you want you can email them or call them to arrange demo ride. I'm sure they will be happy to bring an EVO or CXL for demo on the fullerton loop. You got to do yourself a favor and try one of these bad boys. I just got mine and just love it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.