RP23 with '07 BMC TF 2.0- Mtbr.com

Oct 2008

RP23 with '07 BMC TF 2.0

The stock Ario 2.2 is ok and my main reason for changing it out is that on the same ride I mix up trail riding with the local Greenways where I lock out forks/shocks as it ~7 miles on concrete paths. Thing is there are things to jump off on the way One day I'll forget to unlock the shock - my fork has a blowoff so it will be fine but a 3' drop will probably buck me and damage the Ario too.

Has anyone swapped out shocks before? I can measure eye to eye but do the frame need a mounting kit too? How do I figure out which one is needed:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/180...-Kits-2009.htm

Guess I could call Pricepoint or Jenson but I trust the answers from here more

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    According to BMC the eye to eye measurement is 200 mm and the stroke is 55mm. You will most likely need mounting hardware as well, which likely comes from the shock manufacturer. If you do swap shocks, post how it feels because I am seriously considering upgrading the rear shock and would love to hear some feedback.

low speed, high drag
    Jan 2008
    Hmm, performance wise, the Ario works fine for me. But I feel like I have to add air before every ride. Is that normal for air shocks?

Oct 2008
    After some research I am pretty sure these are the 2007 BMC TF 2.0 shock measurements:
    Eye-to-eye: 200mm (5.75")
    Stroke 50mm (2")
    Mounting width: 22mm top and bottom
    Mounting bolt diameter: 8mm

Fox racing helped me get these, and they are the same specs for almost all other BMCs. The guy said these are really common sizes too. To be sure the stroke was right I took the shock out, pulled the valve core out and compressed it by hand. This is the result:

That explains why non of us can get full travel out of the shock - we were bottoming it out When compressing the shock I felt something solid at that point - maybe it is a soft-bottoming mechanism (elastomer?) that compresses a bit further to give the 50mm?

Revel: Where did you source the 55mm from?

Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros
    Hmm, performance wise, the Ario works fine for me. But I feel like I have to add air before every ride. Is that normal for air shocks?
    Yeah, it has little bob stock. I just want a 'lockout' feature that lets me huck off things

In my limited experience of two rear shocks, adding air is not normal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I downloaded a features booklet off of the BMC website for the trailfox 1.0. I know this is for the current model but made the assumption that would be close if not identical to the 07 model we are running.

Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Revel 1911
    I downloaded a features booklet off of the BMC website for the trailfox 1.0. I know this is for the current model but made the assumption that would be close if not identical to the 07 model we are running.
    Interesting, you mean this pdf:

I am obviously confused over something. They say 7.785x2 AND 57mm stroke. (2" is 50.8mm). On my bike I with no air in the shock I saw there was room for more suspension travel before parts starting colliding.. perhaps that is the 57mm figure?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Very interesting, I didn't even pay attention to the english measurements in parentheses. Even more confusing is the 7.785 does not equal 200mm but 7.875 does. I am more inclined to follow the metric measurements and chalk the others up to a misprint or conversion error.

Jan 2009
    Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I'm curious how the rp23 ended up working out? Are you getting more travel than the Ario was getting? I can only get the shock to compress to a little bit below mid-shaft even on pretty large drops (~4ft), running between 90-100 psi depending on the day. If I could scrape a bit more travel out of this bike it'd be awesome.

Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregonism
    Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I'm curious how the rp23 ended up working out?

Are you getting more travel than the Ario was getting? I can only get the shock to compress to a little bit below mid-shaft even on pretty large drops (~4ft), running between 90-100 psi depending on the day. If I could scrape a bit more travel out of this bike it'd be awesome.
    For now I am skipping that upgrade - it sounds wimpy but one of contact lenses is playing up and I am not riding off-road in glasses. When the eye stops hurting I'll schedule Lasik and will be off the bike for at least another two weeks after that

Have you tried evacuating all air from the shock and seeing how much travel you can get compressing it by hand? At 4' you must be using all the travel surely. Did you see the photo I posted above of the shock after maximum travel?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I'm curious how the rp23 ended up working out? Are you getting more travel than the Ario was getting? I can only get the shock to compress to a little bit below mid-shaft even on pretty large drops (~4ft), running between 90-100 psi depending on the day. If I could scrape a bit more travel out of this bike it'd be awesome.

On my trailfox I switched out the Ario for a fox RP3 with the large air can. I can now get full travel out of the shock where I never could with the Ario.

Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wraydp
    On my trailfox I switched out the Ario for a fox RP3 with the large air can. I can now get full travel out of the shock where I never could with the Ario.
    Do you know what the stroke of the travel you actually get is?

Jan 2009
    I'm using close to what your getting as full travel, minus 5mm or so. That would make sense if yours had absolutely no air in it, where mine would have very highly compressed air at the bottom of the stroke. The more I think about it, the more I don't want to spend extra money on this frame when I can eventually sell it, and spend that extra money on a used frame that's more oriented to what I want to use it for. I guess I could get a decent shock and then when I get another frame, look for one that takes a 7.875 shock. Though used frames with RP23's are a dime a dozen in the classifieds section...

[offtopic]
    Also, you might consider getting some lenses cut for a pair of ventilated biking sunglasses like smiths or something. It seems like it would be worthwhile if you bike a lot. I tend to get a lot of crap in my eyes when I'm not wearing my sunglasses anyways, and I know with contacts that can cause real problems.
    [/offtopic]

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I get the full 2" stroke out of the fox shock where i would have gotten only about 1 1/2" of stroke out of the Ario. Others have stated they were able to get the full travel out of the fox shock with the standard can, but mine is the large air can to give a more linear stroke.

Oct 2008
    The more I think about it, the more I don't want to spend extra money on this frame when I can eventually sell it, and spend that extra money on a used frame that's more oriented to what I want to use it for.
    Yup I might ride this BMC as-is for a while then splash out on a Yeti 575 frame (comes with an RP23) when I feel I am fast enough to deserve it. I do like this frame though so might put another $400 into it.. not sure yet.. I'd rather be one of a few BMC riders than just another Yeti guy

Members who have read this thread: 0