Ross Carbon Composite frame?- Mtbr.com

May 2006

Ross Carbon Composite frame?

OK, call me stupid maybe but I bid on this not thinking I'd win but I did! Does anyone know what I bought? is it junk or OK?...please be gentle, I know not what I do
    Attached Images Attached Images

Old man on a bike
    Why anyone would buy something they don't know anything about is beyond me. That said, Ross at one time did support mtb in some race oriented ways, although their regular range of bikes was more along Huffy lines. If you like what you bought build it up and tell us what it rides like...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

May 2006

I know, I KNOW!

It's not something I normally do, just a whim I guess....and a couple of really good Eggnogs! I'm probably going to just build a simple SS. Hopefully should be an OK ride.

I

Old man on a bike
    OTOH they probably didn't make such a frame themselves but hopefully contracted it out to some who did know what they were doing (as many of the Ross race frames were rebadged frames from other manufacturers in their day). It might be a steal. I use my old carbon OCLV frame from Trek for my ss for smooth riding (as their bonding has failed once and I really don't trust it and Trek told me to f*ck myself for any future claims anyways).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

May 2006

does this help?

I've tracked down what I think it was ..a "Grand Cherokee Limited MTB" built for Jeep in 97. Found one review site that said the Carbon-Composite frame was good, components not so good. Also found a site that links Ross and Kestrel making carbon composite fishing gear, don't know if its the same company that made bikes..Hmmm? I guess I can hope Kestrel maybe subcontracted for the frames...stranger things have happened. It sounds good anyway

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Ross carbon

stan4bikes- i'm the one who won the bid for the other frame. Still don't know who build it. Made in USA is throwing me. Have it built up now and only riddenit around the streets. The frame itself is a little heavy for a carbon frame. We will see how it works in the dirt soon

May 2006
    I got mine yesterday, kinda bummed! The bottom bracket isn't even threaded and I'm not sure if the headtube is properly reamed for a headset...I guess at least I know it's never been ridden! Luckily I suck up to my LBS guys and they will take care of me.
    Yeah the frame is heavy, it's not a carbon frame its a carbon re-enforced COMPOSITE frame. Mine actually looks pretty good, thought it was scratched up but all the "scratches" rubbed out.
    Do you have a picture or two? post em if you do...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Ross

Stan- did you get that Ross built up yet? What do you think? Mine is built, but did not have time to get in the dirt before I had to leave for work. I should be back Tue night, so I'm planning to go on wed morning. My seatpost shim and seat clamp should be in by then. I"ll let you know

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Ross

Stan- Rode mine in the dirt the other day. About thirty miles of singletrack. I think I like it. If nothing else it feels good to be on a hardtail again. Don't know why I ever gave into the pogostick bike. Don't think I will be going back anytime soon. Unless this thing breaks or something. Still don't know who built the frame, but thats ok. I"ll just have some custom airbrush art put on over the Ross name. Give me some feedback on your ride. Russ

Members who have read this thread: 0