Roco Air R/ Evo initial impression- Mtbr.com

Jul 2004

Roco Air R/ Evo initial impression

Got the chance to swap out my trusty DHX air for a Roco air yesterday. I was a little hesitant - why change a good thing? I have been riding the Evo for over a year now, abused it in 2 trips to Whistler, raced it in the collegiate DH/slalom circuit so I have this bike set up like an extension of my body. I weigh #155 in street clothes, so I set up my DHX air with 145 psi in the main and 150 in the boost with bottom out full in. This gave it the extra support in g-outs, successive hits, popping off booters, and face melting berms. With all these adjustments on the DHX, how could the Roco compete? I installed the Roco and admired the beefy look and how it matched the tubing on the Evo (and my white 66 up front), took a look in the manual at a recommended pressure (117 psi) and pumped it up. I sat down to measure sag and I smiled, it was a perfect 30%. I took the Evo out for a ride, high speed dh with rock gardens, berms, drops, and big jumps. The moment I hit a rock garden I knew this shock was magic, it was so supple and responsive as I skimmed over the rocks. It never wallowed into its travel as I slammed into berms. I was beginning to not miss those adjustments. The rear end felt more lively and playful as I could pop off lips of jumps harder than ever. I was boosting jumps and overclearing them. The Roco took those big hits and never bottomed with the slow "clunk" of the DHX. The Roco smoothly ramped up progressiveness and was never harsh, like butta. It did bob a little bit when climbing, but only noticeable when I looked down. To sum the Roco Air R up: It's a Marzocchi, for your rear -awesome

shred my gnar
    thanks for the report... right now i have nothing but good things to say about my dhx air 5 on the xcl but there seems to be a lot of folks that cant stand it for various reasons. good to have a potential back-up if i ever run into major problems with the dhx.

i tried changing up my dhx set-up to coincide with the instructions jason posted on another thread and love it with the the bottom out dialed full in and 150 in it.

glad to hear the roco air works out well though...

locked - time out
    Nice review. How about telling us about the 66 on the front. ATA? Climbing?

Jul 2004
    66 rc2x, it climbs like a chopper. I'm the only person who can climb with this setup, my buddy runs an evo as well with a 66 w/eta much better.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by theOtherMrT
    66 rc2x, it climbs like a chopper. I'm the only person who can climb with this setup, my buddy runs an evo as well with a 66 w/eta much better.
    LOL... yup ETA is always nice...
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Good job! Roco

Roco Air is The Ducks Nuts !~!

Put one on my ML and it replaced my DHX C

It's the shizzle for anybody who likes it rough. Tracks like a bloodhound.

Put a RC2 cartridge in my 06 AM fork and it is a perfect match.

I would expect the Roco Air to be of similar stoke on the gorgeous XCL

Members who have read this thread: 0