Rockshox Lyrik for XCL- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Rockshox Lyrik for XCL

Can I get an opinion from anyone who has tried a 160 mm fork on the 5" travel XCL. I have a rider who is thinking of buildiong up his XCL with a Lyrik. Any downside to this?

I use the Lyrik 2 step on my EVO and it rides better than my pervious forks. I'm really happy witht the tunability of the Lyrik. I'm not sure how it will affect the ride of an XCL though.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycan
    Can I get an opinion from anyone who has tried a 160 mm fork on the 5" travel XCL. I have a rider who is thinking of buildiong up his XCL with a Lyrik. Any downside to this?

I use the Lyrik 2 step on my EVO and it rides better than my pervious forks. I'm really happy witht the tunability of the Lyrik. I'm not sure how it will affect the ride of an XCL though.
    I'd like to preface this by saying, I still have not ridden my XCL. The build was not finished before I left for work (I work out of town...for weeks at a time).

That being said, I put a 36 Talas rc2 on mine (I looked at the Lyrik U-Turn). It's gonna rake it out a bit. It also might negatively effect climbing, but I think if the fork is adjustable you'd be fine. My rides are mostly sustained climbs, then sustained downhills. I can just wind it down for climbs, then let er rip on the downs. 160mm fork might be less desirable if you have more ups and downs throughout your ride.

The extra a2c is noticeable. While the travel difference is only 20mm, a2c difference is about 30mm. That will slacken the bike by about 1.5 degrees and raise the BB .5 inch or so (static). The extra travel could allow you to run more sag and ride plusher...possibly giving you similar to stock geometry numbers...that's a guess.

Anyhoo, not sure if that was any help.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hey I think that 2 step is going to be the you know. I built up my xcl end of may and love it. But i have the pike on it right now. I am wating for a totem so I can take the lyric off my nomad and run it on the xcl. The xcl does everything pretty well with the full travel on the pike (140). But I can hardly wait to run the lyric its such a fun fork. With the (115) adjust it will do it all for climbing and then 160 for descending, watch out... and it will slacken the head angle a smidge.

mtbr member
    i was also thinking about this frame/fork combo. now that some time has passed, how is the xcl with a longer adjustable fork?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    its pretty good. Two step is a nice feature but not needed. Head angle still good and turns tight , breaks loose just slightly on slow tight turns. Added a litlle extra air pressure to the dhx to counter the angle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    hey follow up. Just got back from good three hour ride, with about 3000 feet climbing and lyric is a winner.Plus it just fits, same 35mm stanchions just like xcls tubing looks and feels like home. Adding 150 psi to the boost on dhx big improvement on any drop over 3 feels good on 6 too. And I was able to climb and desend on a small rampage.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by shwatzu
    hey follow up. Just got back from good three hour ride, with about 3000 feet climbing and lyric is a winner.Plus it just fits, same 35mm stanchions just like xcls tubing looks and feels like home. Adding 150 psi to the boost on dhx big improvement on any drop over 3 feels good on 6 too. And I was able to climb and desend on a small rampage.
    Thanks for the RR, think i will be going w/ a Lyrik and DHX Air as well on my next XCL build.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    thanks for the follow up. i think a "beefier" fork on a xcl sounds killer. nice to know someone has already tried it with success.

Members who have read this thread: 0