Riding the XCL F*%@in Rocks!- Mtbr.com
    bbc
    Bueno!

Riding the XCL F*%@in Rocks!

I've had this bike for less than 18 hours and have been on two long rides. All I have to say is this thing blows me away! It climbs great, descends like a dream and takes corners like a hot knife through butter. I can't wait to go ride it again!

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    Nice build!!!! Congrats on the new bike.

Only thing I don't like in the picture is the weirwolf tire.....at least they don't work for me for where I normally ride(socal). On the hard pack stuff the side knobes tend to fold and wash out when cornering for me. But I'm 210 plus gear, they are quite good in sandy and very soft condition I think they are designed with soft turf in mind.

If I had more room(I have 2 bikes plus the wife's bike) I'd buy that bike in a heart beat(assuming wife's approval).
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by duke777
    Nice build!!!! Congrats on the new bike.

Only thing I don't like in the picture is the weirwolf tire.....at least they don't work for me for where I normally ride(socal). On the hard pack stuff the side knobes tend to fold and wash out when cornering for me. But I'm 210 plus gear, they are quite good in sandy and very soft condition I think they are designed with soft turf in mind.

If I had more room(I have 2 bikes plus the wife's bike) I'd buy that bike in a heart beat(assuming wife's approval).
    Funny, I have the exact opposite oppinion of the Weirwolf's. I run the UST 2.1 as a front only and have been incredibly impressed by the thing. I've run a ton of tires up front (Blue Groove, High Roller, Micheline XCL, Hutch Spider, Nevegal, and more) and have yet to find another one that has the Weirwolf's combination of great rolling resistance, grip and corner ability. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

bbc
    Bueno!
    I love the weirwolf tires as well. They corner great and the tread design is great for all riding conditions. I now have a weirwolf 2.5 in the front. Rolls over anything.

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    LOL...yeah tires and saddles they are very personal. Infact I don't like my WTB saddle either, kills me on the long rides. But 90% people I talk to loves them, I'm just weird!
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"

bbc
    Bueno!
    I've had the WTB Rocket V Ti saddle for 4 years! Anyhoo Chumba + WTB = Goodness. I'm coming home from the bar and all I gotsta say is BUENO CHUMBA!!!!

nerfherder
    Nice XCL. Have you had a chance to weigh it yet?

BTW, I have the Weirwolf 2.55LTs and they're awesome. Fast rolling and grippy. But I only weigh 155 (no gear).

bbc
    Bueno!
    On my scale it weighs 30.5 lbs. That's pretty good considering the DT Swiss 340- EX 5.1D wheels and Weirwolf tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Looks nice and burly. I was wondering what the head angle is with a 140mm fork?

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Here's a couple of pics. It's 31.21 with this beefy build.

It's like two bikes in one. A climbing bike with the front shock at 120mm, raised saddle and DHX Air with Propedal cranked on. And it's a confidence-inspiring downhiller with the shock at 140, dropped saddle and less pro-pedal.

francois
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IPA will save America

Aug 2004
    nice looking bike francois...when's the ride report coming?

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by carnetorta
    nice looking bike francois...when's the ride report coming?
    It'll take a couple of weeks. I rode it for a couple hours today though and it's very confidence inspiring. I did some jumps and log drops for the first time in a while thanks to the bike. It's plush and it's stable. I'm going to get one of those gravity dropper seatposts for it since this bike really seems like two bikes in one... uphill and downhill.

francois
    Last edited by fc; 10-16-2006 at 07:17 AM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Nice build on the xcl. If money was not an issue I would have a xcl to compliment my Evo. I am beginning to think that the xcl might more suitable for me than my Evo. It seems strong enough to handle a lot of punishment, but would be a better climbing bike than the Evo.

Is the rear tire clearance similar to the Evo? A coil shock would be a good option for the xcl as well.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Cool score Francois! Where did you get yours? I might have to grab one next year.

bbc
    Bueno!
    I've made an upgrade to a Manitou 4 Way Air, I have to say it's performing quite nice! I've ridden the XCL a lot now and it's definitely exceeding my expectations. This is a perfect bike for riding in CO or anywhere there's a lot of ups and downs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbc
    I've made an upgrade to a Manitou 4 Way Air, I have to say it's performing quite nice! I've ridden the XCL a lot now and it's definitely exceeding my expectations. This is a perfect bike for riding in CO or anywhere there's a lot of ups and downs.

vn all around...looks like a killer frame...

looks as if you can take the linkage, flip it 180degrees and fit a bigger shock on there for more travel.....posslible?

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by misctwo
    looks as if you can take the linkage, flip it 180degrees and fit a bigger shock on there for more travel.....posslible?
    I'm thinking the rear wheel would rub the seat tube at full travel. I think some of the prototypes had that issue but I believe this has since been fixed by the ever responsive and fast Chumba team.

Quote Originally Posted by bbc
    I've made an upgrade to a Manitou 4 Way Air, I have to say it's performing quite nice!
    bbc - I'm not familiar with the Manitou line. Why is the 4 Way and upgrade from the DHX Air?

bbc
    Bueno!
    Maybe it's not an "upgrade" in certain people's opinion. It's easier to set up than th Fox and the SPV works extremely well. I like it because It doesn't have so many adjustments and plus it feels a lot more plush. I'm a big fan of the Talas fork though. It's a great balance.

person
    Awsome bikes all, only thing i'd change is the single bolt seatpost, i've had many broken bolts on those darned things
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

bbc
    Bueno!
    The WTB seatpost has 2 bolts and is pretty darn strong.

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by G-VegasMTBiker
    Awsome bikes all, only thing i'd change is the single bolt seatpost, i've had many broken bolts on those darned things
    Yup, I almost lost my manhood on one of the Race Face single bolt seatposts. The bolt exploded on me whilst dropping down a bumpy fireroad. "Luckily" it only bruised my perineum (i.e. my "taint") and didn't do any damage to the boys. I did have to ride the remaining two-plus miles of my route standing up; that wasn't any fun.

person
    Ohh ok, my mistake. Happy riding
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

Members who have read this thread: 0