Revel Bikes Reviews- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Revel Bikes Reviews

Surely there must be some new Revel Bikes hitting the trails by now. Post your review here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tktaylor View Post
    Surely there must be some new Revel Bikes hitting the trails by now. Post your review here.
    Hang tight, Iíll have my review up shortly. My build was just completed on Thursday but Iíve been out of town since.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Iíve got over 100 miles on my rascal. It has a great suspension platform. Very poppy. Climbs better than I do. Easy to throw into corners.
    My riding on it has been on slow technical rooty trails with decent drops and steep downs, and an xc race that was fast and flowy. The xc race was one Iíve done several years in a row on a trail I knew well. The rascal is very good at everything. My climbing times were equal to the Ripley LS I had before and I set a pr on the one decent I wasnít stuck behind someone on.
    I donít think thereís anything Iíd change about it. It has very active suspension and does not bottom harshly. If you have any specific questions I can try to help. Demo one if you can!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    And here I was thinking my ee wings wouldnít be a match...

Iím looking for 100mmíish long/low/slack frame (like sb100), to add to the stable. Do yo ever feel like the Rascal is too much bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NS-NV View Post
    And here I was thinking my ee wings wouldnít be a match...

Iím looking for 100mmíish long/low/slack frame (like sb100), to add to the stable. Do yo ever feel like the Rascal is too much bike?
    Eewings match everything it is too much bike for a dedicated xc race bike but it was very competitive and a ton of fun so Iím good with that. Also Iím a big guy 200lbs so bike weight matters less to me than others. The Rascal is a 140f/130r but Iím sure you could run a lighter 130 fork and be just fine. Iíve had very few pedal strikes, much less than the Ripley. Iíd call it a very balanced great pedaling bike that can handle chunk.

mtbr member
    Revel Bikes Reviews-ca17d56a-9ed0-4489-b402-61178dce143e.jpg

Now that I finally got the maiden voyage behind me, I figured Iíd chime in with my thoughts. For reference, Iím coming from a Canfield Bros Riot the last few years. I had been patiently waiting for the carbon version, but when this was announced I didnít want to wait any longer.

I built the frame up and tossed some NOBL wheels on it as well. The bike pretty much checks all the boxes for me. 130 - 140 rear was always my goal, and 140/150 front. The bike checks in at just about 28 lbs, which is about 3.5 lbs less than my Riot. On the climbs, I can absolutely feel the difference in weight. The bike feels much longer in reach, but still very comfortable.

Climbing was great, even though Iím very out of shape. It took me a little bit to dial the suspension in, but when it was I absolutely ripped on it. Tight corners were different...had to take them a little wider, but overall not much different than the Riot. I demoíd the HT LT, and SB130 coming into this. I would say it felt very similar to the 130 with a bit more pop feeling and less bulldozing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA17D56A-9ED0-4489-B402-61178DCE143E.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	488.4 KB 
ID:	1250624

Now that I finally got the maiden voyage behind me, I figured Iíd chime in with my thoughts. For reference, Iím coming from a Canfield Bros Riot the last few years. I had been patiently waiting for the carbon version, but when this was announced I didnít want to wait any longer.

I built the frame up and tossed some NOBL wheels on it as well. The bike pretty much checks all the boxes for me. 130 - 140 rear was always my goal, and 140/150 front. The bike checks in at just about 28 lbs, which is about 3.5 lbs less than my Riot. On the climbs, I can absolutely feel the difference in weight. The bike feels much longer in reach, but still very comfortable.

Climbing was great, even though Iím very out of shape. It took me a little bit to dial the suspension in, but when it was I absolutely ripped on it. Tight corners were different...had to take them a little wider, but overall not much different than the Riot. I demoíd the HT LT, and SB130 coming into this. I would say it felt very similar to the 130 with a bit more pop feeling and less bulldozing.
    Can we get a few more pics (from the side and close ups)? The Revel sure is a nice looking bike (I'm waiting to see what they do with 29".)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I can get some closeups if you want to see the black version.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by autosmith View Post

I can get some closeups if you want to see the black version.

Yes, please! Such a good looking bike. How's the geometry feel? Seat angle steep enough for how long it is? Still impressed with the climbing ability/efficiency? No experience with cbf suspension but I'm intrigued. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Loving my Rascal after the first few rides.
    Initial thoughts...

Internal routing on the rear brake cable was really annoying for the build-up, but it is riding basically silent - pretty nice. Everything else on the build was easy.

Coming from a Canfield Riot since late 2015, so the suspension is what attracted me. It's great in this version as well.
    Not a huge difference to me 130mm rear versus 140mm (Riot was 140, and other bikes I considered this year were 140).

Really fast and comfortable.
    Revel Bikes Reviews-rascal29era.jpeg

Revel Bikes Reviews-rascal29er.jpeg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by La Nada View Post
    Yes, please! Such a good looking bike. How's the geometry feel? Seat angle steep enough for how long it is? Still impressed with the climbing ability/efficiency? No experience with cbf suspension but I'm intrigued. Thanks!
    Geometry is spot on. Seat angle is a bit slack for me and might be for others with a very long inseam. The actual angle in slack but the effective angle at normal seat heights is 75+ so thatíll vary depending on rider. Climbing is better than I expected. It never feels like extra work. Climbing while standing is particularly good. Bike felt a little long in corners at first but after cutting down the bars and trusting the bike more it is very quick to change direction. The only thing Iíd change would be the seat angle so my seat wasnít slid all the way forward but Iíve never had a bike that wasnít the case on.

mtbr member
    Iíve got over 100 miles on my rascal. It has a great suspension platform. Very poppy. Climbs better than I do. Easy to throw into corners.
    My riding on it has been on slow technical rooty trails with decent drops and steep downs, and an xc race that was fast and flowy. The xc race was one Iíve done several years in a row on a trail I knew well. The rascal is very good at everything. My climbing times were equal to the Ripley LS I had before and I set a pr on the one decent I wasnít stuck behind someone on.
    I donít think thereís anything Iíd change about it. It has very active suspension and does not bottom harshly. If you have any specific questions I can try to help. Demo one if you can!

Nice rig! Iím currently on an LS and on the fence about the v4 Ripley. There are a few folks really struggling with the new steeper seat tube angle and extra weight on the hands. My LS is dialed but I do have some arthritis in my hands so Iím looking at other options too. Notice any negative in cockpit set up with the 75 degree STA? Also Iím on A CC IL on my Rip LS, love that shock. I was considering another of the next bike, is the DB Air a good fit or overkill? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjm_2000 View Post
    Nice rig! Iím currently on an LS and on the fence about the v4 Ripley. There are a few folks really struggling with the new steeper seat tube angle and extra weight on the hands. My LS is dialed but I do have some arthritis in my hands so Iím looking at other options too. Notice any negative in cockpit set up with the 75 degree STA? Also Iím on A CC IL on my Rip LS, love that shock. I was considering another of the next bike, is the DB Air a good fit or overkill? Thanks
    Cockpit fits perfect. I went with 20mm riser bars and a shorter stem to put the bars in nearly the same spot relative to the saddle. It came with the RockShox but I changed it out for the dB air after some back to back runs I like the feel of cane creek stuff a lot. I have the compression almost completely open and still donít notice any pedal bob. If you like a custom ride feel or like to change it depending on where youíre riding go cane creek. Iím still so happy with the rascal Iíd only look at the v4 Ripley if I was going to do a lightweight XC build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Revel Rail Review

Finally got my new Revel Rail frame built with all my favorite bits and out for the first ride this weekend. First impression - this one is definitely a keeper! Previous bike was 2015 YT Capra and other bike is 2018 Intense Primer so I have great comparisons. Andy at Revel was very helpful with fit and build questions since the purchase was sight unseen. The build was easy as there is nothing to press and cable routing is very clean. The finish on the frame is fantastic. The trails consists of climbs with switchbacks and some tech. The downs are flowy with rock gardens and plenty of opportunity for air for those that want it. The ride finished off with a double black gnar decent. I have a little fork tuning to do but otherwise the Rail was brilliant in every area. I was initially worried in my ďdriveway testĒ after build finish that there was some rear suspension bob but didnít notice anything on the trail. The suspension absorbed every little bump going up and offered some nice squish going down. While I wonít say the Rail is as light and agile as the Primer I was surprised how close it was. I was never totally pleased with the fit of the Capra but the Rail is spot on. For me it positions pretty neutral and ready for whatever I want from it. Loving the Rail so far.

Revel Rail Medium
    Fox 36 Grip2 170mm travel fork
    Fox X2 165mm travel shock
    Fox Transfer 175mm
    Sram X0 Eagle drivetrain
    XTR Trail brakes and Centerlock rotors 203F, 180R
    LB Recon Pro Carbon 36mm wheelset w/DT240 hubs
    Renthal Carbon Lite bars and Apex 40mm stem
    Koobi PRS saddle
    Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5/DHR 2.4 tires
    Wolf Tooth axles and seat post clamp
    Oury Lock on grips
    29.5 lbs w/o pedals
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Revel Bikes Reviews-20190602_144949.jpg  

Revel Bikes Reviews-20190602_145020.jpg  

Revel Bikes Reviews-20190608_100442_hdr.jpg  

mtbr member
    Bike just posted up a review as part of their bible of bike tests

https://youtu.be/x2H_I3V8Q_w

AOK
    mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Anyone have a bottle cage fitted to a Rail? What size bottle fits?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Finally got my new Revel Rail frame built with all my favorite bits and out for the first ride this weekend. First impression - this one is definitely a keeper! Previous bike was 2015 YT Capra and other bike is 2018 Intense Primer so I have great comparisons. Andy at Revel was very helpful with fit and build questions since the purchase was sight unseen. The build was easy as there is nothing to press and cable routing is very clean. The finish on the frame is fantastic. The trails consists of climbs with switchbacks and some tech. The downs are flowy with rock gardens and plenty of opportunity for air for those that want it. The ride finished off with a double black gnar decent. I have a little fork tuning to do but otherwise the Rail was brilliant in every area. I was initially worried in my ďdriveway testĒ after build finish that there was some rear suspension bob but didnít notice anything on the trail. The suspension absorbed every little bump going up and offered some nice squish going down. While I wonít say the Rail is as light and agile as the Primer I was surprised how close it was. I was never totally pleased with the fit of the Capra but the Rail is spot on. For me it positions pretty neutral and ready for whatever I want from it. Loving the Rail so far.

Revel Rail Medium
    Fox Transfer 175mm
    Sram X0 Eagle drivetrain
    Koobi PRS saddle
    Oury Lock on grips
    29.5 lbs w/o pedals
    So beautiful my man! Stunning!

What kind of tire clearance are you working with in the rear, is the 2.4 kind of maxing things out? Room for 2.5? 2.6? Gaspó2.8?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Accurate weight for medium Revel Rail

Joining the thread as a new Reveler! Previously an Ibisian for the last 3 years, I have to say the attention to detail on these Revels are on a whole other level. Received my frame and fork on Saturday and ready to start the build. I forget if the site shows frame weight so here it is for those inquiring minds who want to know.

Size medium Rail with RS Super Deluxe Ultimate, 2 water bottle cage bolts, and Maxel. 7.5 lbs exactly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Revel Bikes Reviews-3cd43a41-4318-43c1-96cc-1508ea40d41e.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by milodog View Post
    Joining the thread as a new Reveler! Previously an Ibisian for the last 3 years, I have to say the attention to detail on these Revels are on a whole other level. Received my frame and fork on Saturday and ready to start the build. I forget if the site shows frame weight so here it is for those inquiring minds who want to know.

Size medium Rail with RS Super Deluxe Ultimate, 2 water bottle cage bolts, and Maxel. 7.5 lbs exactly.
    Congrats! Same story for me and one the best surprises was that the paint seems to be bomb proof. Not a chip yet despite several rock strikes. My Ibis had plenty of chips the first week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Iím glad to hear that! I was shocked at how easily the paint chipped on the Ibis! And so had matte black! Lol! The clear coat chipped.  I loved my Mojo 3.....and as much as people and journalists say the quality is top notch, wait till they check out a Revel. I read somewhere that every frame has 9 layers of paint and clear coat! I forget where I saw that. It was one of the reviews. Maybe Pink Bike? Anyway, stoke to hear no chips from you this far. Iím hoping for a frame finish to hold up longer than the Ibis. My 2010 Stumpjumperís finish never chipped once for the 7 years so owned it...... and I put 5000+ miles on that bike! Keeping my fingers crossed for the Revel. 🤞

mtbr member
    Rascal frame weight anyone?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rollmonkey View Post
    Just right.

mtbr member
    Milodog weighed his a few posts up, looks like 7.5 lbs. All the builds look sweet, I ended up ordering a Ripmo as I sent Revel a few emails and never got a response, I saw that as a sign. If I donít get along with the Ripmoís geo I may take another look at the Rascal but for now Iím still an Ibisian.

mtbr member
    The post above is for a rail, I was hoping rascal maybe not as fat. I demod this bike and it was the only thing competitive with the ripmo... But it's less travel and 1.5 pounds heavier maybe? Hard to say.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by milodog View Post

What kind of tire clearance are you getting on the Rail?

mtbr member
    The post above is for a rail, I was hoping rascal maybe not as fat. I demod this bike and it was the only thing competitive with the ripmo... But it's less travel and 1.5 pounds heavier maybe? Hard to say.
    Yup see that now. 👍🏻

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Donít have a pic but mine was a little over 7lbs with shock.

mtbr member
    I wish I could remember my exact weight before I built it, but it was a hair over 7lbs. My whole build on the Rascal is around 28.5lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Congrats! Same story for me and one the best surprises was that the paint seems to be bomb proof. Not a chip yet despite several rock strikes. My Ibis had plenty of chips the first week.

I'm assuming you had an hd4, how does the rail climb vs the hd4. I'm currently own an hd4. thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cpobanz View Post
    I'm assuming you had an hd4, how does the rail climb vs the hd4. I'm currently own an hd4. thanks
    I had a ripely. Now on the rascal. Never been on an hd4 so canít help there.

mtbr member
    Just returned from DirtRagFest and had a chance to demo the Rascal. There was a TON to love about this bike...and one terrible downside.

Bruceton Mills, West Virginia is rocky. Like, next level rocks....there were rocks under the rocks. If you ever wanted to test "best bike for rock gardens," Bruceton Mills would be a default spot. That being said, there was also some flowy, ribbony stuff on the demo loop.

I am 6'4" with long limbs, so XL is default. Revel guys said sag is generally 30%. I mention this to get the room's elephant out the the way. Pedal strikes were next level. I ate shit two times (another poster noted lack of pedal strikes; I had the exact opposite) b/c of pedal strikes. It wasn't just bad luck either or bad riding...there were significantly more pedal strikes than on my bike or any of the 5-6 bikes I demo'd this weekend...and more than any other bike in recent memory.

The Revel guys mentioned that the Rascal was set at 30% sag; the XL has 175 cranks. They mentioned that some XL guys had switched to 170, but some run 175 with no problems. I tried to go back and demo it at 25% sag, but it was always out. I'd really like to try it at 25% sag with 170 cranks to see if it got rid of the pedal issues, b/c if it did:

The first think you notice about a bike is how it looks. Revel kills it with both the Rascal and the Rail. There is attention to detail in the builds and I didn't notice any chips on the demo bikes; the bikes just look really great. Also, the XL doesn't look ridiculous...which is important to me.

So looks are important...but how the bike rides is importantist. I immediately noticed that the Rascal TAKES OFF. It was incredibly easy to get moving...fast. It was easier to get up to speed than the SB130 I tried just before it. The Revel people said it was ~30#; about average for a 140/130 bike, but it felt much lighter than that when riding. The bars were too wide for W.V. (but that's an easy fix), but the speed, balance, and agility made it easy to rail through some of the tighter and flowy stuff. The bike is well balanced and pretty easy to get air on.

The next thing I noticed right away was how quiet it was. There was almost no noise from the entire package...the only sound was the clunk when changing gears...or the terrible pedal strike noise.

I've never ridden a Canfield before, but I will say, based on the Rascal, the hype is real. The CBF suspension is fantastic. Over the weekend I felt 3 platforms out-shined others: Switch Infinity (I'm a sucker for SI and I generally compare everything to it), Esker's Orion (I think it's the best Weagle yet...better than DW-link and Split Pivot), and the CBF. On the Rascal, there was that perfect feeling of efficient and supportive when going up, but cush when going down.

I did say rocks, right? When climbing, I never noticed the rear get hung up on anything and the front just rolled over rocks and roots. Descending, the Rascal had no issues smashing through stuff in its way. It's easy to pick lines when slowly climbing or while bombing down...but it was also able to go through things if you chose wrong.

All-in-all, I thought the bike was unique in that it felt light and quick, but could smash through things...it was really good climber, but cushy descending. It really is a bike I could ride all day every day...EXCEPT: those pedal strikes.

Other similar bikes I've tried are the Pivot SB, Stumpjumper ST, Smuggler and FollowingMB (I guess they're kinda similar), Salsa Horsethief, Norco Sight, and prolly a couple I forget. I would gladly take the Rascal over any of those...a no-brainer really (except the pedal strikes).

This is a close competitor to the SB130 for my dollars in that both felt like bikes I could ride all day. The SB130 felt more planted and enduro-ey, while the Rascal felt more flickable and speedy (don't read this as unstable...b/c it certainly wasn't). All-in-all, it's a "pick 'em" btwn the two, but if it Rascal rode the same at 25% sag and I could live with 170 cranks, the choice would be more clear. Revel should sell a ton of these.

Edited to add: I also demo'd the YT Jeffsey (150/150)...a bit of apples/oranges, but I'd take the Rascal over that too.
    Last edited by smartyiak; 07-19-2019 at 08:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ^Nice write up.
    Very cool to hear confirmation of some of my impressions, especially on the badass CBF and on the Rascal's general speediness and performance.

I'm running 170 cranks on my Large Rascal. I've gone with 30% sag. After switching to 170 cranks, I never noticed any pedaling differences beyond the first ride.
    I have had a few pedal strikes climbing, certainly. No big ones on fast descents thankfully.
    I don't necessarily think it's more prone to pedal strikes than some of the other modern bikes I've tried recently. It seems to be a trend these days with current geo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Just returned from DirtRagFest and had a chance to demo the Rascal. There was a TON to love about this bike...and one terrible downside.

Bruceton Mills, West Virginia is rocky. Like, next level rocks....there were rocks under the rocks. If you ever wanted to test "best bike for rock gardens," Bruceton Mills would be a default spot. That being said, there was also some flowy, ribbony stuff on the demo loop.

I am 6'4" with long limbs, so XL is default. Revel guys said sag is generally 30%. I mention this to get the room's elephant out the the way. Pedal strikes were next level. I ate shit two times (another poster noted lack of pedal strikes; I had the exact opposite) b/c of pedal strikes. It wasn't just bad luck either or bad riding...there were significantly more pedal strikes than on my bike or any of the 5-6 bikes I demo'd this weekend...and more than any other bike in recent memory.

The Revel guys mentioned that the Rascal was set at 30% sag; the XL has 175 cranks. They mentioned that some XL guys had switched to 170, but some run 175 with no problems. I tried to go back and demo it at 25% sag, but it was always out. I'd really like to try it at 25% sag with 170 cranks to see if it got rid of the pedal issues, b/c if it did:

The first think you notice about a bike is how it looks. Revel kills it with both the Rascal and the Rail. There is attention to detail in the builds and I didn't notice any chips on the demo bikes; the bikes just look really great. Also, the XL doesn't look ridiculous...which is important to me.

So looks are important...but how the bike rides is importantist. I immediately noticed that the Rascal TAKES OFF. It was incredibly easy to get moving...fast. It was easier to get up to speed than the SB130 I tried just before it. The Revel people said it was ~30#; about average for a 140/130 bike, but it felt much lighter than that when riding. The bars were too wide for W.V. (but that's an easy fix), but the speed, balance, and agility made it easy to rail through some of the tighter and flowy stuff. The bike is well balanced and pretty easy to get air on.

The next thing I noticed right away was how quiet it was. There was almost no noise from the entire package...the only sound was the clunk when changing gears...or the terrible pedal strike noise.

I've never ridden a Canfield before, but I will say, based on the Rascal, the hype is real. The CBF suspension is fantastic. Over the weekend I felt 3 platforms out-shined others: Switch Infinity (I'm a sucker for SI and I generally compare everything to it), Esker's Orion (I think it's the best Weagle yet...better than DW-link and Split Pivot), and the CBF. On the Rascal, there was that perfect feeling of efficient and supportive when going up, but cush when going down.

I did say rocks, right? When climbing, I never noticed the rear get hung up on anything and the front just rolled over rocks and roots. Descending, the Rascal had no issues smashing through stuff in its way. It's easy to pick lines when slowly climbing or while bombing down...but it was also able to go through things if you chose wrong.

All-in-all, I thought the bike was unique in that it felt light and quick, but could smash through things...it was really good climber, but cushy descending. It really is a bike I could ride all day every day...EXCEPT: those pedal strikes.

Other similar bikes I've tried are the Pivot SB, Stumpjumper ST, Smuggler and FollowingMB (I guess they're kinda similar), Salsa Horsethief, Norco Sight, and prolly a couple I forget. I would gladly take the Rascal over any of those...a no-brainer really (except the pedal strikes).

This is a close competitor to the SB130 for my dollars in that both felt like bikes I could ride all day. The SB130 felt more planted and enduro-ey, while the Rascal felt more flickable and speedy (don't read this as unstable...b/c it certainly wasn't). All-in-all, it's a "pick 'em" btwn the two, but if it Rascal rode the same at 25% sag and I could live with 170 cranks, the choice would be more clear. Revel should sell a ton of these.
    Nice description of its riding characteristics. I ride a large and have it at 23% sag according to the shock wiz. I have less pedal strikes than I did with my Ripley. And still run 175 cranks. I havenít noticed a difference with the way it pedals at any sag. Although when I do have a pedal strike it seems huge, it might have something to do with the active suspension while pedaling allowing it to bottom easier?

mtbr member

smartyiak-
    Stoked you liked it. It took a long time dialing it in.

One of the best aspects of my CBF suspension is that it's not sag dependent. No matter where you end up on your sag, the suspension is targeting the Instant Center perfectly. It will feel no different at 20-25-30-35%.

Cheers
    Chris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    smartyiak-
    Stoked you liked it. It took a long time dialing it in.

One of the best aspects of my CBF suspension is that it's not sag dependent. No matter where you end up on your sag, the suspension is targeting the Instant Center perfectly. It will feel no different at 20-25-30-35%.

Cheers
    Chris
    I thought it was fantastic...really well done!

Could you say how changing sag will affect the bikes handling or characteristics? Not trying to be argumentative, but changing it has to have some effect...otherwise, why not run it at 0%...or 100%.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Just weighing on the Revel Rascal. I bought one on faith and have yet to build it. Took a demo ride on a Rascal in Pisgah 7/20/19. Short ride including Sycamore, Thrift Cove and lower Black, for those of you who might be familiar. Currently riding a first gen Bronson so this is my reference . The Rascal accelerated nicely and is very poppy. Climbing is very efficient. Just as they claim, the suspension remains very active when climbing as well as under braking. As indicated by others the frames are beautiful the Ansel Adams(black) and the Alaska (blue) look so good it makes for a tough decision. One thing I did notice were the pedal strikes. These are trails Iím very familiar with and a pedal for me is rare. The Rascal is specíd with 175 crank arms soI am considering 170s on my build. Sag was set at 30% as recommended. When comparing to the Bronson I certainly noticed the difference in the travel in the chunky stuff in spite of the 29Ē wheels. Unfortunately did not have time to ride the Rail. The feedback that I was hearing for both bikes was very positive.
    Last edited by fmwylie; 07-21-2019 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Misspell

mtbr member
    May 2015

Revel Rail Review (250 miles)

2020 Revel Rail review (27.5Ē wheels, 165mm travel, Rock Shox Super Deluxe):

https://www.revelbikes.com/our-bikes/revel-rail/

The Revel Rail has been my primary bike for the last month and a half (250-300 miles). Overall, I am very impressed with the ride characteristics, design, and build quality of the frame. I haven't seen much in terms of reviews other than some "first impressions," so I figured I would post my experience and compare some pros and cons relative to recent/similar bikes in this category. Firstly, I just want to state that I am not affiliated with Revel and was not asked to post this review. Whether you are new to MTB, or have a lot of experience riding different bikes and are considering the Rail as a replacement, I will echo the best advice you will hear: Make every effort to test ride as many bikes as you can on terrain you will ride most often. Bike geometry and suspension characteristics can be quite subjective to different riding styles and body types.

About me (tester): Born in WV in 1985, east coast trails have been my home since mountain biking became my main hobby around 1999. I'm 6'1" tall and weigh 180 lbs without gear (1.85m / 81.6 kg) with a 33.5" inseam. I have long legs & arms with a short torso relative to the average person. Initially, XC riding was my focus, but that quickly transitioned to enduro (or all-mountain riding as they called it back then). Flow trails are fun, but generally I end up seeking out the roughest terrain (up and down the mountain) to challenge and improve bike handling skills. BMX, dirt jumping, and road riding has been mixed in over the years, but never overtook MTB.

Fit & Geometry: The Large size is very comfortable on all types of terrain, including steep climbs, descents, and everything in between. I have settled on about 25mm of spacers under my stem and am a 50mm stem (build kits mostly come with 40mm). If I were any taller or lived out west where trails are a bit more open with less tight switchback sections, I might consider the XL size. Full geo and suspension charts can be found on Revels website. The 470mm reach, 65 deg head tube, and 75 deg seat tube combined with short chain stays and low BB gives me a very centered & stable feeling between the front and rear wheel with plenty of room to adjust body position over big obstacles or maximizing traction in the corners. An Evil Insurgent was my prior long-term bike which had a slightly more conservative geo: 450mm reach, 65.6 deg heat tube, 74.3 deg seat tube ridden in the higher setting. The additional 20mm on reach, 30mm on wheelbase, and 9mm lower BB are all welcome changes. I did not experience excessive pedal strikes running 170mm cranks. **Note- My longer legs dictated that I kept my Evil in the higher position to maintain a comfortable pedaling position. The seat tube was a very slack 73.4 deg in the lowest setting which would put my body quite far over the rear axle. For clarity- The Rail does not have a flip chip.

Suspension feel (Rear): Revel has licensed their rear suspension design (CBF) from Canfield Brothers which feels different than anything Iíve ridden in the past (VPP/DWlink/Delta/Infinity-link/etc). The key design focus is to direct any forces from pedaling at the top of the chain ring to effectively limit pedal-bob and separate impacts or inputs from the trail (regardless of where you are on the rear cassette). Another thing that is noticeable on this bike compared to some other designs is that the bike stays more composed and active under rear braking. The Delta design (linkage driven single pivot) for example had a tendency to send the rider forward over the front end when under hard rear braking. This has been my favorite bike to pedal uphill in the 150-170mm travel category. It is supportive and efficient under power and active when tracking the ground in the slow speed tech. The bike has plenty of pop to boost off small trail features comparable to others in this category. I have settled on 180 psi & 3 tokens in the rear shock to match my body weight which gives me about 28% sag. The CBF design provides a fairly progressive leverage curve and is very confidence inspiring on bigger hits at the expense of slightly less small bump sensitivity compared to other designs used with an air shock.

Other notes / observations: Compared to My Evil insurgent specíed with the amazing Push Eleven Six coil the relative lack of small bump sensitivity is noticeable, however & unexpectedly... this has not translated into slower times on my local DH or enduro segments. In fact, the opposite is true, however I think itís important when comparing times to look at the bike as a complete system. I think a good analogy here could be to F1 racing.. Cars can look ultra-smooth from the helicopter camera high above the track, but when watching POV footage itís obvious the ride is quite harsh during the bumpy sections which is necessary to go as fast as possible. My point beingÖ At high speeds, the level of comfort added by small bump compliance is sometimes initially perceived as confidence inspiring which one would think translates into faster times. My times have been faster all around on the Rail, and to be clear.. the bike is not uncomfortable in any way.. just slightly more feedback from the rear end compared to a $1200 custom tuned coil shock. For those with longer legs who are at the upper range of L size or into XL.. My seat is positioned relatively far forward on the rails. It would be interesting to try this bike with a steeper seat tube and slightly longer reach (maybe 76/77 deg and slightly longer reach). This is coming from someone who really values agility over super long & stable. Lastly, I added some Scotch 2228 rubber mastic tape to quite some chain slap.

Build Spec: This also seems like a good time to note that this bike is custom build with some parts transferred over from my old bike to ensure the main variable is the frame & shock:

ē Ibis 741 wheelset - 35mm inner width rims & I9 torch hubs
    ē 2.5 Minion DHF EXO/ 2.4 DHR EXO+ with Cushcore
    ē X01 driveterrain - 11 speed
    ē OneUP dropper (210mm)
    ē Code RSC brakes (200mm rotors F&R)
    ē 170mm 2019 Fox 36 Performance Elite fork, Grip 2 - 70psi with 2 tokens
    ē Weight = 31.0 lbs without pedals. EXO F / EXO+ R with Cushcore. Includes bottle cage, custom Wahoo mount, Oi bell

Pros:

ē Value (frame only) Ė Includes Cane Creek 40 headset, Rear Axle, and choice of Rock Shox Super Deluxe or Fox X2 = $2799
    ē Geometry: Modern, Low and slack, but not too extreme. Short seat tube length allows for long droppers. Low BB makes bike very stable and confidence inspiring, and no excessive pedal strikes with 170mm cranks.
    ē CBF suspension design: Efficient, playful, and progressive. Rewards a smooth pedal stroke
    ē Attention to detail:
    o Finish seems reasonably durable, however I should note that I covered high impact areas with AMS frame guard during the build process.
    o Custom frame-specific protection is available from Revel
    o Internal cable routing with internal carbon guides/sheaths made install a breeze and keeps things quiet
    o Chain guide is OEM spec, lightweight, and have yet to drop a chain
    o Rear linkage design shields bearings/pivots from the elements well. No creaks thus far, but more ride time is needed before passing judgment here

Cons:

ē Rear Brake routing: The rear brake cable exits the underside of the downtube just in front of the bottom bracket and re-enters the underside of the chain stay. Personally, I havenít had any issues with this design, but I know other riders who have sliced a line contacting a rock which requires re-routing a replacement hose and a fresh bleed. Seems like it wouldnít be that difficult to route the hose over the BB and into the top of the chainstay protected from potential impacts.
    ē CBF suspension design: Small bump sensitivity is average compared to Infinity link or some other suspension designs that allow for coil shock option
    o Coil Shock officially not recommended: The inherent flex in the rear linkage and yoke design puts a lot of stress on the smaller diameter shaft compared to air shocks and can cause reliability issues with the shock.
    ē Bash guard incompatible: Would be nice to see some type of bash guard mount, however Iím told there was a conscious decision to avoid using the IG05 standard which has the potential to transmits a lot of force to carbon frames on hard impacts. Alternative options are available, but none that Iím willing to pursue.
    ē Chain slap: Minor amount of noise was noticeable from chain slap. A slightly bigger molded chainstay guard would be welcome, but this is a very minor issue remedied by some inexpensive Scotch 2228 Rubber Mastic tape.

Who this bike is for: Someone who enjoys the agility of 27.5 wheels and wants a versatile bike for all day adventures but would prefer to sacrifice some climbing efficiency related to slack angles for balanced & confidence inspiring downhill capabilities. Keeping in mind the Rail fits pretty squarely into the endure bike category... I think it can easily handle both 35 mile all-day epics and bike park days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Revel Bikes Reviews-pm-drop-mtbr.jpg  

Revel Bikes Reviews-rail-taco-mtbr.jpg  

Revel Bikes Reviews-windrock-redbull-drop.jpg  

Revel Bikes Reviews-p1000564-mtbr.jpg  

Revel Bikes Reviews-20190526_074948-mtbr.jpg  

Revel Bikes Reviews-20190623_171208-mtbr.jpg  

Revel Bikes Reviews-main-mtbr.jpg  

Revel Bikes Reviews-p1000563-mtbr.jpg  

Revel Bikes Reviews-20190806_141603-mtbr.jpg  

Revel Bikes Reviews-20190806_141631-mtbr.jpg  

Last edited by Dylanbike1; 08-07-2019 at 11:49 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Dylan- who makes your top tube Garmin mount? Any thoughts on the 1up 35mm bars at 250 miles?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Dylan- who makes your top tube Garmin mount? Any thoughts on the 1up 35mm bars at 250 miles?
    The mount is custom. Two pieces screwed together.. I purchased the circular replacement Wahoo (same as garmin) mount for $5 from Amazon. Separately, I took a Dremel tool to an adhesive gopro mount making the top flat and then very carefully pre-drillled and screwed on the Wahoo mount before sticking on the top tube. Rock solid thus far.

The OneUp bars are very nice, but I didn't do any on-trail back to back testing. Being totally honest.. I don't notice the extra compliance or any less fatigue even on long 10-15 min downhill segments. Having said that... I haven't done a full day in the bike park yet where the compliance could be more noticeable at the end of a long day. Personally, I wouldn't go out and replace existing carbon bars with these, but they are very nice if upgrading from an aluminum setup or doing a new build.

mtbr member
    I may try to replicate your DIY mount, no one is bringing one to market and I'm tired of waiting.

I'm surprised by your review of the 1up bars. Going from aluminum to renthal fatbar was night and day for me. That said, I have to run a 35mm stem on new bike and 1up still looks like best option, so probably going to run it. A little worried it's not as good as renthal.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I may try to replicate your DIY mount, no one is bringing one to market and I'm tired of waiting.

I'm surprised by your review of the 1up bars. Going from aluminum to renthal fatbar was night and day for me. That said, I have to run a 35mm stem on new bike and 1up still looks like best option, so probably going to run it. A little worried it's not as good as renthal.
    Yea, same here. Was tired of waiting for a top tube option to avoid damage when crashing if mounted on the handlebars. One thing to note... Depending on which cycling computer you have.. You will have to run a few steer tube spacers to avoid contact with the bars if/when they spin around. I'm running approx 25mm and the bars clear my Wahoo Element Bolt by about 5-7mm.

Regarding the OneUp bar.. I should have been more clear. I didn't notice much difference going from my old setup that was 35mm RaceFace SixC carbon bar. I haven't ridden aluminum bars in a few years, but I think going from al to this new OneUp bar would be a nice improvement.

Rocks belong
    Revel Rascal... 210 x 50 shock. Which leads to the question - how much room/clearance is there at bottom out?

ie: would a 210x55 fit? That would be 143mm rear travel and put the Rascal on par with a Ripmo.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Maiden voyage today!

Revel Bikes Reviews-37cd052d-7c93-4be0-b99b-bb7e27798d3e.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Revel Rascal... 210 x 50 shock. Which leads to the question - how much room/clearance is there at bottom out?

ie: would a 210x55 fit? That would be 143mm rear travel and put the Rascal on par with a Ripmo.
    It would fit but on a severe bottom out you might have tire to seat tube contact.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    It would fit but on a severe bottom out you might have tire to seat tube contact.
    Sorry, but wouldnít the longer stroke length ensure that it is harder to bottom out? With my limited understanding of suspensions, I think that due to the longer stroke length, the shock requires more effort to reach bottom out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    Sorry, but wouldnít the longer stroke length ensure that it is harder to bottom out? With my limited understanding of suspensions, I think that due to the longer stroke length, the shock requires more effort to reach bottom out.

Not necessarily, it has more to do with shock setup. With a bunch of volume spacers a 100mm bike can be much harder to bottom than a 165mm bike with no spacers when both are set at proper sag.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Not necessarily, it has more to do with shock setup. With a bunch of volume spacers a 100mm bike can be much harder to bottom than a 165mm bike with no spacers when both are set at proper sag.

Thanks for the info. But assuming both the 210x50mm and 210x55mm shock have the same setup (sag and amt of volume spacers) - what would be the outcome?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    After a couple months of failed demo attempts, Iím struggling not to buy a Rascal on faith. Have one sitting in my shopping cart, without even a parking lot test.

Can anyone compare it to a Spot Mayhem?

That was my other choice, but I find it a bit harsh (lacks small bump suppleness), a little long in the chain stay (manualing thru rough requires more effort than Iíd like), and the wider top tube is something my active knees had trouble adapting to (banging on leans and corners). Not total deal breakers tho.

mtbr member
    Getting close to ordering a Rascal myself. Is the DPX2 $200 better than the Super Delux?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    Getting close to ordering a Rascal myself. Is the DPX2 $200 better than the Super Delux?
    If youíre not one to fiddle, then no. Otherwise it does have better adjustments to fine tune.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Dpx2?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    If youíre not one to fiddle, then no. Otherwise it does have better adjustments to fine tune.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broads72 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37CD052D-7C93-4BE0-B99B-BB7E27798D3E.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	359.6 KB 
ID:	1270503
    Is that Bryce? Was just out there with my Rascal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Broads72 View Post
    I agree. I've had the DPX2 on a previous frame. It was really good. But, the stock RS shock on my Rascal is excellent. Really happy with its performance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Revel Bikes Reviews-a17107d7-a6cc-4004-b4f8-bd6c8b1052d5.jpg

Finished the build last night, sunrise ride this morning...

First impressions, well climbing still sucks, but traction is good with the Ďswitchí turned off. Iíd put it on par with most other offerings in itís class.

My biggest reservations about 29íers is that they are not exactly Ďtrail scalpelsí. They tend to deaden the trail a bit. Hooking up multiple turns, and popping off little hits typically take a lot for me on the bigger wheels.

I only had one descent, lots of berms, little doubles, flowy. I can say this bike is super fun. Very active, and rewards a only semi aggressive stance.

Heading to Crested Butte tomorrow, with a Monarch Crest stop en route. I see this as the perfect bike to bring, however I cant imagine it will be my first choice when riding North Vancouver/ Squamish/ Whistler.

Still need to dial in the suspension a bit, but Iím really happy so far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I see you were on grn mt - so the DH you reference was probably the Rooney reroute?

This bike is on my list to demo - just rode there yesterday myself and bummed i didn't cross paths. Good looking bike and curious to know when you flog it down Apex - please post a review after!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Ya, Rooney. My usual test route is Box oí Rocks first (top part is best for judging small bump compliance), then back up to Rooney, but was short on time.

After testing Spot Ryve & Mayhem, Pivot Switchblade, & SB130 on Green Mtn, the Rascal edged out the SB130 for pure fun. It carved and popped really well. I usually do not have the fasted time, but I do like to be fairly active on the trail.

Iíll get some high speed straight line & Ďplowí moments this weekend and report back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Any give a comparison to say something like a new version SB140 or Bronson compared to the Rail? (better/worse/etc)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ya, Rooney. My usual test route is Box oí Rocks first (top part is best for judging small bump compliance), then back up to Rooney, but was short on time.

After testing Spot Ryve & Mayhem, Pivot Switchblade, & SB130 on Green Mtn, the Rascal edged out the SB130 for pure fun. It carved and popped really well. I usually do not have the fasted time, but I do like to be fairly active on the trail.

Iíll get some high speed straight line & Ďplowí moments this weekend and report back.
    Thanks for your comprehensive posts NS-NV. For almost 2 years I have been riding a Mayhem and believe that it offers the best compromise of super efficient climbing with good descending characteristics. Recognizing your limited Rascal rides, does the Rascal give up much in climbing efficiency to the Mayhem?

Also, the cable routing under the bottom bracket seems like it would present some real-time exposure to the cables when clearing taller rock ledges...any issues?

Thanks and enjoy

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    No issues with the cables below. Not my preferred route, but it seems a few Engineers have thought about this, as it shows up on a few different brands.

Climbing vs the Mayhem? Ya, on smooth stuff I think it gives up a bit, but I prefer the traction on tech climbs, and less harsh on loose, baseball sized rocks

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    No issues with the cables below. Not my preferred route, but it seems a few Engineers have thought about this, as it shows up on a few different brands.

Climbing vs the Mayhem? Ya, on smooth stuff I think it gives up a bit, but I prefer the traction on tech climbs, and less harsh on loose, baseball sized rocks
    Thanks NS-NV. The nice feature with the Mayhem is the bike/shock can be ridden wide open almost all of the time. I am sure flipping the firm mode switch on the Rascal is no problemo. I hoping to demo a Rascal in Sedona soon.

mtbr member
    I thought it was fantastic...really well done!

Could you say how changing sag will affect the bikes handling or characteristics? Not trying to be argumentative, but changing it has to have some effect...otherwise, why not run it at 0%...or 100%.
    The effect of running less sag?- well, it would then be stiffer. Harder to bottom out.

The real beauty of it is- No one has their sag set perfectly. 30% of travel... or 30% of shock stroke.... Totally different. Plus you have springs. They come in 50 lbs internals. So no one is going to come up perfectly on sag.

So having the sag setting be at perfect pedal anywhere in the travel is rad. Same for the effect of climbing and descending. More weight on the rear on steep climbs and less going down. So, sag is going to change depending on the weight transfer.

There is so much more to handling with this question, but that would take all night.
    I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Revel Rail Medium
    Fox Transfer 175mm
    Sram X0 Eagle drivetrain
    Koobi PRS saddle
    Oury Lock on grips
    29.5 lbs w/o pedals
    I have a 2017 primer with 150mm fork. How does the rail compare to the Primer? Did you consider a rascal?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Anyone with one compared how it pedals compared to a tallboy, or Ripley?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I just finished the iceman cometh xc race (32 mile and about 2000ft climbing) in northern MI on my Rascal. It was more bike than the race called for but its my favorite bike so I took it anyway. The conditions were horrible, mud nearly the whole way. I could feel the weight of the bike but never felt the suspension was bobbing too much or stealing power. My overall time was much slower than past years but so was everyone elseís, the conditions were just so bad. I ended up 500 positions ahead of my last result and 10 ahead in my age group so I canít be too upset. It was a blast in the Singletracks to pass dozens of people in the mud and fly past others on the fast downhills. If I improve my cardio next year Iím sure itíll end even better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Pretty great video on Revel and the CBF suspension:
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/blo...form-explained

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I just finished the iceman cometh xc race (32 mile and about 2000ft climbing) in northern MI on my Rascal. It was more bike than the race called for but its my favorite bike so I took it anyway. The conditions were horrible, mud nearly the whole way. I could feel the weight of the bike but never felt the suspension was bobbing too much or stealing power. My overall time was much slower than past years but so was everyone elseís, the conditions were just so bad. I ended up 500 positions ahead of my last result and 10 ahead in my age group so I canít be too upset. It was a blast in the Singletracks to pass dozens of people in the mud and fly past others on the fast downhills. If I improve my cardio next year Iím sure itíll end even better.
    How do you like the Helm fork on it?