Revel Bikes Reviews- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Revel Bikes Reviews

Surely there must be some new Revel Bikes hitting the trails by now. Post your review here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tktaylor View Post
    Surely there must be some new Revel Bikes hitting the trails by now. Post your review here.
    Hang tight, Iíll have my review up shortly. My build was just completed on Thursday but Iíve been out of town since.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tktaylor View Post
    Iíve got over 100 miles on my rascal. It has a great suspension platform. Very poppy. Climbs better than I do. Easy to throw into corners.
    My riding on it has been on slow technical rooty trails with decent drops and steep downs, and an xc race that was fast and flowy. The xc race was one Iíve done several years in a row on a trail I knew well. The rascal is very good at everything. My climbing times were equal to the Ripley LS I had before and I set a pr on the one decent I wasnít stuck behind someone on.
    I donít think thereís anything Iíd change about it. It has very active suspension and does not bottom harshly. If you have any specific questions I can try to help. Demo one if you can!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    And here I was thinking my ee wings wouldnít be a match...

Iím looking for 100mmíish long/low/slack frame (like sb100), to add to the stable. Do yo ever feel like the Rascal is too much bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NS-NV View Post
    And here I was thinking my ee wings wouldnít be a match...

Iím looking for 100mmíish long/low/slack frame (like sb100), to add to the stable. Do yo ever feel like the Rascal is too much bike?
    Eewings match everything it is too much bike for a dedicated xc race bike but it was very competitive and a ton of fun so Iím good with that. Also Iím a big guy 200lbs so bike weight matters less to me than others. The Rascal is a 140f/130r but Iím sure you could run a lighter 130 fork and be just fine. Iíve had very few pedal strikes, much less than the Ripley. Iíd call it a very balanced great pedaling bike that can handle chunk.

mtbr member
    Revel Bikes Reviews-ca17d56a-9ed0-4489-b402-61178dce143e.jpg

Now that I finally got the maiden voyage behind me, I figured Iíd chime in with my thoughts. For reference, Iím coming from a Canfield Bros Riot the last few years. I had been patiently waiting for the carbon version, but when this was announced I didnít want to wait any longer.

I built the frame up and tossed some NOBL wheels on it as well. The bike pretty much checks all the boxes for me. 130 - 140 rear was always my goal, and 140/150 front. The bike checks in at just about 28 lbs, which is about 3.5 lbs less than my Riot. On the climbs, I can absolutely feel the difference in weight. The bike feels much longer in reach, but still very comfortable.

Climbing was great, even though Iím very out of shape. It took me a little bit to dial the suspension in, but when it was I absolutely ripped on it. Tight corners were different...had to take them a little wider, but overall not much different than the Riot. I demoíd the HT LT, and SB130 coming into this. I would say it felt very similar to the 130 with a bit more pop feeling and less bulldozing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA17D56A-9ED0-4489-B402-61178DCE143E.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	488.4 KB 
ID:	1250624

Now that I finally got the maiden voyage behind me, I figured Iíd chime in with my thoughts. For reference, Iím coming from a Canfield Bros Riot the last few years. I had been patiently waiting for the carbon version, but when this was announced I didnít want to wait any longer.

I built the frame up and tossed some NOBL wheels on it as well. The bike pretty much checks all the boxes for me. 130 - 140 rear was always my goal, and 140/150 front. The bike checks in at just about 28 lbs, which is about 3.5 lbs less than my Riot. On the climbs, I can absolutely feel the difference in weight. The bike feels much longer in reach, but still very comfortable.

Climbing was great, even though Iím very out of shape. It took me a little bit to dial the suspension in, but when it was I absolutely ripped on it. Tight corners were different...had to take them a little wider, but overall not much different than the Riot. I demoíd the HT LT, and SB130 coming into this. I would say it felt very similar to the 130 with a bit more pop feeling and less bulldozing.
    Can we get a few more pics (from the side and close ups)? The Revel sure is a nice looking bike (I'm waiting to see what they do with 29".)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I can get some closeups if you want to see the black version.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by autosmith View Post

I can get some closeups if you want to see the black version.

Yes, please! Such a good looking bike. How's the geometry feel? Seat angle steep enough for how long it is? Still impressed with the climbing ability/efficiency? No experience with cbf suspension but I'm intrigued. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Loving my Rascal after the first few rides.
    Initial thoughts...

Internal routing on the rear brake cable was really annoying for the build-up, but it is riding basically silent - pretty nice. Everything else on the build was easy.

Coming from a Canfield Riot since late 2015, so the suspension is what attracted me. It's great in this version as well.
    Not a huge difference to me 130mm rear versus 140mm (Riot was 140, and other bikes I considered this year were 140).

Really fast and comfortable.
    Revel Bikes Reviews-rascal29era.jpeg

Revel Bikes Reviews-rascal29er.jpeg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by La Nada View Post
    Yes, please! Such a good looking bike. How's the geometry feel? Seat angle steep enough for how long it is? Still impressed with the climbing ability/efficiency? No experience with cbf suspension but I'm intrigued. Thanks!
    Geometry is spot on. Seat angle is a bit slack for me and might be for others with a very long inseam. The actual angle in slack but the effective angle at normal seat heights is 75+ so thatíll vary depending on rider. Climbing is better than I expected. It never feels like extra work. Climbing while standing is particularly good. Bike felt a little long in corners at first but after cutting down the bars and trusting the bike more it is very quick to change direction. The only thing Iíd change would be the seat angle so my seat wasnít slid all the way forward but Iíve never had a bike that wasnít the case on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by autosmith View Post
    Iíve got over 100 miles on my rascal. It has a great suspension platform. Very poppy. Climbs better than I do. Easy to throw into corners.
    My riding on it has been on slow technical rooty trails with decent drops and steep downs, and an xc race that was fast and flowy. The xc race was one Iíve done several years in a row on a trail I knew well. The rascal is very good at everything. My climbing times were equal to the Ripley LS I had before and I set a pr on the one decent I wasnít stuck behind someone on.
    I donít think thereís anything Iíd change about it. It has very active suspension and does not bottom harshly. If you have any specific questions I can try to help. Demo one if you can!

Nice rig! Iím currently on an LS and on the fence about the v4 Ripley. There are a few folks really struggling with the new steeper seat tube angle and extra weight on the hands. My LS is dialed but I do have some arthritis in my hands so Iím looking at other options too. Notice any negative in cockpit set up with the 75 degree STA? Also Iím on A CC IL on my Rip LS, love that shock. I was considering another of the next bike, is the DB Air a good fit or overkill? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjm_2000 View Post
    Nice rig! Iím currently on an LS and on the fence about the v4 Ripley. There are a few folks really struggling with the new steeper seat tube angle and extra weight on the hands. My LS is dialed but I do have some arthritis in my hands so Iím looking at other options too. Notice any negative in cockpit set up with the 75 degree STA? Also Iím on A CC IL on my Rip LS, love that shock. I was considering another of the next bike, is the DB Air a good fit or overkill? Thanks
    Cockpit fits perfect. I went with 20mm riser bars and a shorter stem to put the bars in nearly the same spot relative to the saddle. It came with the RockShox but I changed it out for the dB air after some back to back runs I like the feel of cane creek stuff a lot. I have the compression almost completely open and still donít notice any pedal bob. If you like a custom ride feel or like to change it depending on where youíre riding go cane creek. Iím still so happy with the rascal Iíd only look at the v4 Ripley if I was going to do a lightweight XC build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Revel Rail Review

Finally got my new Revel Rail frame built with all my favorite bits and out for the first ride this weekend. First impression - this one is definitely a keeper! Previous bike was 2015 YT Capra and other bike is 2018 Intense Primer so I have great comparisons. Andy at Revel was very helpful with fit and build questions since the purchase was sight unseen. The build was easy as there is nothing to press and cable routing is very clean. The finish on the frame is fantastic. The trails consists of climbs with switchbacks and some tech. The downs are flowy with rock gardens and plenty of opportunity for air for those that want it. The ride finished off with a double black gnar decent. I have a little fork tuning to do but otherwise the Rail was brilliant in every area. I was initially worried in my ďdriveway testĒ after build finish that there was some rear suspension bob but didnít notice anything on the trail. The suspension absorbed every little bump going up and offered some nice squish going down. While I wonít say the Rail is as light and agile as the Primer I was surprised how close it was. I was never totally pleased with the fit of the Capra but the Rail is spot on. For me it positions pretty neutral and ready for whatever I want from it. Loving the Rail so far.

Revel Rail Medium
    Fox 36 Grip2 170mm travel fork
    Fox X2 165mm travel shock
    Fox Transfer 175mm
    Sram X0 Eagle drivetrain
    XTR Trail brakes and Centerlock rotors 203F, 180R
    LB Recon Pro Carbon 36mm wheelset w/DT240 hubs
    Renthal Carbon Lite bars and Apex 40mm stem
    Koobi PRS saddle
    Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5/DHR 2.4 tires
    Wolf Tooth axles and seat post clamp
    Oury Lock on grips
    29.5 lbs w/o pedals
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Revel Bikes Reviews-20190602_144949.jpg  

Revel Bikes Reviews-20190602_145020.jpg  

Revel Bikes Reviews-20190608_100442_hdr.jpg  

mtbr member
    Bike just posted up a review as part of their bible of bike tests

https://youtu.be/x2H_I3V8Q_w

AOK
    mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Anyone have a bottle cage fitted to a Rail? What size bottle fits?