Researching XCL, some questions- Mtbr.com
    Code Burr

Researching XCL, some questions

I cant find on the Chumba website where the manufacturing is done. I have an issue of MBA that reports they are made in California yet I just saw a later review that states Taiwan as the country of origin. Can anyone clarify where they are made?

I am currently riding a Turner Flux, 100m travel with a horst link rear. I was thinking of getting a 5 spot and a fried suggested the chumba xlt. Has anyone else made a similar switch and could offer some comparisons? I much prefer pivots to bearings, as they are lower maintenance and lighter. I had a jamis xlt briefly and the bearings would pop out of the pivots. Are the Chumba bearings pressed into the pivots on the XLT? Are they cartridge bearings? Are they easily replaceable or serviceable by the owner?

Thanks
    Toby

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    IIRC, they were done in the US first and then production was moved overseas...

Code Burr
    That's a shame.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze
    That's a shame.
    You can still get US made frames. They are a few hundred bucks more than the outsourced frames.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Are the Chumba bearings pressed into the pivots on the XLT? Are they cartridge bearings? Are they easily replaceable or serviceable by the owner?
    The XCL has cartridge bearings on all pivots that are pressed in. They are easily replaced if you have the proper tools. I just use a long bolt with some deep sockets as a press.

Code Burr
    Thanks, I'm still trying to decide between the XLT and a 5 spot. Turner has a trade in credit and the 2 bikes will cost about the same.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    No need to worry, the offshore XCL is built very well, maybe better than the US frames. And no one in Anaheim lost their job when Chumba went offshore.

mtbr member
    theBronze: I am a former homer, 6 bikes deep (o2, RFX ver2, XCE, Burner, 5spot, and 6pack). I've owned them all. I was a big fan up until the point when they switched over to a faux bar. Believe me, these bikes will perform on the same level if not better and but at a cheaper cost.

If the US vs. overseas is an issue, you can still get the US ones made for a little more money. Check out one of the overseas frames before you make your decision. The quality is there and if you could see the two compared side by side, you may be in for a surprise. Come try the new kool aid, tastes great with less filling
    07 Laguna Seca Blue Evo w/ Lyric 2 Step

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    [QUOTE=bikeage]theBronze: I am a former homer, 6 bikes deep (o2, RFX ver2, XCE, Burner, 5spot, and 6pack). I've owned them all. I was a big fan up until the point when they switched over to a faux bar. Believe me, these bikes will perform on the same level if not better and but at a cheaper cost.

bikeage - I have owned numerous Turners both horstlink and TNT. DT builds a great bike and he has great CS. I am always looking to ride something new. The XCL seems like a great bike and I am thinking about adding one to my stable. I am interested on how the XCL rides compared to the 5 Spot.

mtbr member
    If your local bike shop does not have an XCL for you to demo have them call Chumba and get one for you ride or call Chumba and let them call the bike shop.
    The XCL is one of the most laterally rigid, strongest, and
    overall best-feeling bikes you will ever ride.
    Chumba 1-714-986-9100

Code Burr
    Thanks guys, I wasnt concerned about the quality of overseas production, it may be superior to US production. Its more of an ethical and environmental concern. I'm glad to hear no one lost their job at Chumba. Did they say why production went overseas? Probably the same reason why Chris King moved to Oregon, California is way to expensive to run a business in. They should have moved to Texas!

nerfherder
    Oh man, I don't know if I want to open this can of worms but, "Ethical?"

Let's play civil folks! =)

Trophy Husband
    Did they say why production went overseas?
    To bring their bikes to a larger audience. I think they were already overwhelmed (work wise) in Anaheim. Outsourcing allowed Chumba to produce more bikes at an affordable price.

Besides, not ALL production has moved overseas. You can still get US made frames. You can even do custom geometry. To top off, they will even produce designs you come up with...at their discretion of course. Price for that starts at 2500.

cheers
    Extreme stationary biker.

Compulsive Bike Builder

Not again

This topic has been around this forum about umpteen times. My take...

Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    JTBAZ: I would compare the XCL to a 5pack rather tha a 5spot. The head angle is 69deg like the 5 spot, but the burliness of the bike is what i love about it. You have the flexiblity of running it with a 160mm fork which would be perfect for south mountain. I think the 5spots are designed around 140mm forks.
    07 Laguna Seca Blue Evo w/ Lyric 2 Step

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    bikeage - you nailed it. I am looking for the do-it-all south mountain bike. The 69 degree head angle, the burliness of the frame, and the ability to run a fork 36/160 makes this XCL very appealing for South Mountain I also like the idea of a slightly shorter wheelbase for the tight stuff. I also think the rear suspension would work well on the rocky terrain.

Members who have read this thread: 0