Replacing Bushings on an F4- Mtbr.com
    At least I'm housebroken

Replacing Bushings on an F4

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else has done this. There is alot of play in the linkage (the pivot in the dogbone). I have the rebuild kit from Chumba with the plastic outer bushing and metal insert that fits inside. It seems as though there is already a metal bushing inside the pivot that may need to be taken out (with it in there, I cannot fit the plastic outer bushing). But, it seems to really be in there, so am I right in assuming this needs to be removed, or is this just a metal lip that was machined inside the pivot that is immovable? thanks!

lmx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ∆nima
    Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else has done this. There is alot of play in the linkage (the pivot in the dogbone). I have the rebuild kit from Chumba with the plastic outer bushing and metal insert that fits inside. It seems as though there is already a metal bushing inside the pivot that may need to be taken out (with it in there, I cannot fit the plastic outer bushing). But, it seems to really be in there, so am I right in assuming this needs to be removed, or is this just a metal lip that was machined inside the pivot that is immovable? thanks!
    good luck with that...i bought a replacement bushing kit at chumba with no instructions....half of the hardwear they sent me is not compatible with my bike,then i tried to call them and also tried to e-mailed them several times with no answer....with what they sent me (hardwear and bushing) i'm going to have to bring it to the machine shop and drill the dog bone because nothing fits....thanks chumba for the terrific customer service...oh by the way i love my bike....
    ouin! pas pire.

Dec 2007

Really?

The F4 and the F5 are the only bikes that we make that use bushings.
    They both use the same bushing kit. We sent you the new upgraded kit that lasts longer.
    If you do not have the means to install it . Well thatís not out fault.
    I have used a bench top Vice with a smooth jaw to install them I have also used a Bolts 2 washers and a Nut. That is not the recommended way to install them. Its called the poor mans press way. How you install them is entirely up to you.

BTW the kit does not come with the shock bushing that is pressed into the shock by fox.
    You called asking about the shock bushing. That is supplied by fox..
    It is the same one that all other bikes manufactures use OEM .

My questions
    Did you order a bushing kit?
    How did you try to install it?
    Where you looking for a Shock bushing?

Many bike shops have kids working on the bikes. I donít recommend having local bike shops press in bushing unless they are experienced professionals.
    Would you take a Ferrari to the local Chevron gas station to get the main bearings replaced? I donít think so.

Do not drill out the dog bone . Bad idea, Just press in the bushings. People all around the world have done it once a year without any problems.
    If you can e mail me some pictures of what is giving you problems I will fix it.

I love my F4 and I understand how much it sucks when you cant ride it .
    Thatís why when you call and talk to me I understand.
    I have a new chain guide but I canít park my bike long enough to change it out.
    I also want to re powdercoat it white but once again I cant be without it.(its Orange now)

Letís talk and I can walk you through the changes.

You have my personal phone number.
    714-348-6859
    Here it is again.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by lmx
    good luck with that...i bought a replacement bushing kit at chumba with no instructions....half of the hardwear they sent me is not compatible with my bike,then i tried to call them and also tried to e-mailed them several times with no answer....with what they sent me (hardwear and bushing) i'm going to have to bring it to the machine shop and drill the dog bone because nothing fits....thanks chumba for the terrific customer service...oh by the way i love my bike....

lmx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    no jason it's not about the shock eye bushing (thanks to fox) i purchased a full hardwear kit from you guys...(it cost me over 80$ canadian with shipping...expensive enough for high tensile bolts and nylon washers) the small cylindre shape bushing doesn't fit,i can extract the old one but the one you sent me (new one) as a bigger circonference....no way we can fit it in,it sucks...i've been racing bikes since 1990 and the shop i deal with are highly professionnal....oh and for the records i e-mailed you 3 times and alan once on your personnal e-mail since your mtbr box was always full...this doesn't have anything to do with the bikes perfomances!
    Last edited by lmx; 12-11-2007 at 06:45 PM.
    ouin! pas pire.

Apr 2007
    I will help you . Call me tomorrow . I need some more info. Right after I posted that I changed my bushing out. It took around 45 minutes. You might have wrote me when I was on tour.
    I will handle this issue. You kick butt on that bike I am all about helping you Keep it up.
    We will talk later. You know you have the best bike . I am working on making a tool that lets you change the bushings on the bike. How much does your bike weigh?
    I got mine down to just under 37 lbs.

Members who have read this thread: 0