Redline D880- Mtbr.com

Thread: Redline D880

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Redline D880

Built up a 2014 D880 2 weeks ago. Got a great deal on the frame on eBay.It is my first 29er and first full suspension bike. Absolutely love it. It has transformed my riding, I am amazed at how nimble it is on the tight single track that I ride. Anyone else riding a D880 or D860?
    Redline D880-redline.jpg
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

Just Ride!
    Good score on the frame! I have been intrigued by this model, with designs on trying it with a Fox Talas 120 on the front. My searches are loaded up, so hopefully one pops up soon. Any more insight after having saddle time?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks! I actually passed on the auction the first time around and picked it up after it had been relisted. I absolutly love it but that is personal opinion from someone with very little experience with 29ers or FS bikes. It feels similar to my buddies 2014 Salsa Spearfish from the limited time I rode his.

There is nothing I can say bad about it but i also don't have anything to really compare it to. Climbs well, I feel it is nimble and has transformed my riding compared to the Leader I had built up before.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I am considering a D860... how have you been liking the D880?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I was looking at the D880 on The Racery website earlier last week. Originally I was looking at a Redline cross bike, but ended up pulling the trigger on a Raleigh RXC carbon bike. It showed up on Tuesday, and it's pretty sweet!
    I had never heard of The Racery before but I called their 800 number and spoke to their sales guy (I think his name was Devon) and I was sold. Super sweet customer service, great price, and bike showed up in great shape. In addition to the D880 they had a bunch of sweet Cannondales too. There's just too many sweet bikes and not enough $ for them all

mtbr member
    +1 vote for Redline mountain bikes. I "started out" on a Redline D660 (aluminum hardtail 29er) seven years ago, and it was rad and fast. I picked it up for a pittance, rode it into the ground, raced the brains out of it, and then moved on. Their MTB frames have good design, geometry, lightweight, and usually very competitively priced.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm looking to get an D860 and I'm curious:
    1. Is there any pedal bob from hard sprints or climbing?
    2. How does it descend?
    3. How's rear end maintenance?

I'm looking for a trail bike that won't see many big drops or jumps but is more reliable than my Rocket 88.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by yfrnaks View Post
    I'm looking to get an D860 and I'm curious:
    1. Is there any pedal bob from hard sprints or climbing?
    2. How does it descend?
    3. How's rear end maintenance?

I'm looking for a trail bike that won't see many big drops or jumps but is more reliable than my Rocket 88.
    These bikes along with all other Redline mountain, cross, non-BMX bikes are no longer being made. Redline was purchased my a Dutch company and they reduced their line up for 2016 and beyond to only BMX.

I personally think that the bike climbs and descends fine but I do not have anything to compare it to as it is my first FS bike.

Not sure what you mean by how is rear end maintenance? I assume it is the same as any other FS bike. Need to keep it clean and lubed and replace bearings when needed.

I will say that when I had the pivot bearings replaced in the seat tube (there are 4) my shop said that the bearing journals were slightly ovalized which results in a slight pressure being put on the bearings causing them to bind slighting when rotated by hand.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, by rear end maintenance, I do mean replacing bearings/bushes and if there's anything noticeable like premature wear. I do a lot of my own DIY and some of the full suspension bikes I own have back ends that are just terrible to work on, like the cable routing's a rat's nest, you need a dead blow hammer, or you need special tools beyond a hex/torque key. Ease of maintenance can make or break a deal for me.

Again, thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by yfrnaks View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, by rear end maintenance, I do mean replacing bearings/bushes and if there's anything noticeable like premature wear. I do a lot of my own DIY and some of the full suspension bikes I own have back ends that are just terrible to work on, like the cable routing's a rat's nest, you need a dead blow hammer, or you need special tools beyond a hex/torque key. Ease of maintenance can make or break a deal for me.

Again, thanks for your help.
    It required a trip to the machine shop to get the bearings removed so there you go. Not sure if it was an isolated thing with my frame or if they are all like that but that was my experience.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

picked up the D860

Still wrenching it. Was thinking about getting a sektor 140 for up front...thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GNU_BLIND View Post
    Still wrenching it. Was thinking about getting a sektor 140 for up front...thoughts?
    Seeing the bike was designed around a 100mm fork, a Sektor 140 will be way too long and the bike handling will be compromised.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I got the 21in frame...looking at the smaller frame sizes the head tube angle is slacker, the 140mm should only put it in line with them.

Just Ride!
    I got the 21in frame...looking at the smaller frame sizes the head tube angle is slacker, the 140mm should only put it in line with them.
    and raise your bottom bracket significantly, thus making the bike unstable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The 21 inch only has .5 degree difference in headtube angle. Seeing that you are increasing the travel by 40mm you are going to decrease the headtube angle by 2 degrees (it is generally 1 degree per 20mm). Your headtube angle is going to be 69 degrees.

Regardless of what the angle is of the smaller sizes is, that is not really relevant to your size. It is generally not advisable to increase travel by 40mm. If you need a 140mm bike you may want to think about a different frame.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    The 21 inch only has .5 degree difference in headtube angle. Seeing that you are increasing the travel by 40mm you are going to decrease the headtube angle by 2 degrees (it is generally 1 degree per 20mm). Your headtube angle is going to be 69 degrees.

Regardless of what the angle is of the smaller sizes is, that is not really relevant to your size. It is generally not advisable to increase travel by 40mm. If you need a 140mm bike you may want to think about a different frame.
    I currently own a Canfield Yelli Screamy with a 140mm fork as well, just figured with all the sag of the full suspension wouldn't be that big of a deal. Either way I might experiment in the future and take some pics to show the affects.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I currently own a Canfield Yelli Screamy with a 140mm fork as well, just figured with all the sag of the full suspension wouldn't be that big of a deal. Either way I might experiment in the future and take some pics to show the affects.
    Yea I got what you are saying but it really does not work that way. A bike designed around a 100mm fork takes sag of the 100mm fork into account. Putting a 140mm fork on it throws the rest of the bike off. Because even a sagged 140mm fork has a longer axle to crown than a 100mm fork.

The Canfield you have is designed to work with a 140mm fork so it works well with it.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Seems like it would put it in the realm of the Remedy 9.8 in terms of geo and slack...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Seems like it would put it in the realm of the Remedy 9.8 in terms of geo and slack...
    "Seems" that way, honestly I can take any cross country bike and jack it up 40mm in front and it would have similar geo in spots as a long travel trail bike. It still does not make that bike handle like a frame designed specifically around 140mm travel front and rear.

You seem determined to try it so by all means try it. It is your bike and you won't know how it feels until you try it. That thought will always be in your head. Try it and report back.

What type of riding are you using this bike for? Seems as if you actually want a long travel trail bike instead of a XC Endurance bike like the D880.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I just picked up a 2014 d880 from the racery, it should get here Monday. If any owners are present, can you think of anything I should know? It's been in a box since 2013 or 14 so I'm wondering if I should service the fox suspension before I ride it? I'm a big guy 6'3' 240lbs so I went with the XL. Do you think my weight will be too much for any of the components?

Thanks in adance if anyone can offer any insight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Here she is finally finished

Redline D880-p_20160316_173412small.jpg
    New stem and riser bars
    Redline D880-p_20160316_184605small.jpg
    The fleet

I am 6'7 200lbs, the d860 needed about 250psi of the max of 275psi in the rear shock, 100psi up front.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Looks great! What bag is that tucked in the frame?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by recover66 View Post
    Looks great! What bag is that tucked in the frame?
    Cycling Bicycle Bike Bag Top Tube Triangle Bag Front Saddle Frame Pouch Outdoor Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JKAUH9K..._2.G6wbN1WK7AE

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20160316_173412small.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	1057257
    New stem and riser bars
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20160316_184605small.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	1057258
    The fleet

I am 6'7 200lbs, the d860 needed about 250psi of the max of 275psi in the rear shock, 100psi up front.
    Hit the trails last night after work, I enjoyed the D860, however a few pedal strikes,

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Hit the trails last night after work, I enjoyed the D860, however a few pedal strikes,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8r5KvYi_vH8
    Quick update, bike is great little bit of a high side here. Also be sure to check the pivot points for loose bolts, road to work this morning and one came loose so I limped to work and got it tightened down, figured the factory work could have been trusted.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hey,
    Would one of you lovely folks with a full-sus redline mind checking your swingarm for lateral play? I dropped mine off at the lbs today, the rear linkage was creaking and I'm worried about it. I'm able to wiggle the whole swingarm side to side about a half inch just by yanking on the wheel. I pulled the crank and tightened all of the bolts in the linkage to spec but the play and creak persist.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by recover66 View Post
    Hey,
    Would one of you lovely folks with a full-sus redline mind checking your swingarm for lateral play? I dropped mine off at the lbs today, the rear linkage was creaking and I'm worried about it. I'm able to wiggle the whole swingarm side to side about a half inch just by yanking on the wheel. I pulled the crank and tightened all of the bolts in the linkage to spec but the play and creak persist.
    Just checked my D880. Absolutely no lateral play in the swingarm. I had a creak last year that drove me crazy for 3 months. Ended up being the lower pivot bolt. It had backed out ad was rubbing against the swingarm.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thanks so much for checking. I'm hoping it's something simple. I'll post more info when I hear back from the bike shop later this week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Just picked up a brand new 2014 D860. Will have pictures after I get back from camping next week. Price is too cheap to pass up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbeerjosh View Post
    Just picked up a brand new 2014 D860. Will have pictures after I get back from camping next week. Price is too cheap to pass up.
    Nashbar?
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Nope, even cheaper here -I got in on the discounted shipping with free lazer ultrax helmet too.

It's a huge upgrade from me. I'm taking it out to Pocahontas State Park here in VA on the 23rd providing the weather holds. I'll post up the AAR.

How has your D880 been doing?

2014 Redline D860 | Mountain Bikes | ERIK'S

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Does anyone here know the measurements on the shock? I sent fox an email as their 4 digit code lookup method didn't yield any results.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Redline D880-imag2227.jpg

So here it is all assembled. It came from Erik's mostly assembled aside from front caliper and handlebars. I went ahead and went through every thing before I went out last Saturday.

First impression is that it felt heavier than my original hardtail DB. It's not supposed to be but it felt that way. My last bike had 75mm travel on the front fork. And it sprung back pretty fast (not adjustable). It took a minute of adjusting the Rock Shox Reba RL's to get them to my liking.

I took it to my local state park and I was definately not comfortable yet riding the new bike. So I couldn't fully test it. I took it through about 10 miles of some intermediate curvy downhill trails. I couldn't get it into the air nearly as easy as my hardtail.

I credit this to my inexperience and my timidness on a new bike.

Until I get comfortable I won't fully be able to give a great review. For now I can tell you that the brakes, gears and forks are a night and day upgrade. THey probably have potential far above what I need for my type of riding. Also I think I need to bring the handlebars closer into a more trail riding style because I feel like this bike is setup more towards XC.

For the price I paid (1200 shipped plus a new free helmet) I got an awesome deal. At the age of 36 this is probably the last bike I will own
    Last edited by hotbeerjosh; 08-01-2016 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Fixed Image

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Went out again yesterday and spent a few hours on the trails. I'm way more comfortable on the bike, so much so that when I got on my old bike everything felt awkward and uncomfortable.

Steering and cornering is effortless on this bike, it feels like the bike is doing all the work. I think this is because this bike puts me in a different center of gravity. Now that I had confidence in the bike I was able to push it a little further on the downhill portions and see how it does on some jumps. I've got both the front and back shocks on the quickest rebound setting. I am off my seat during these portions letting my legs absorb most of the impact so I physically can't tell the difference between this bike and a hard tail. But I could hear a difference. The bike just sounds so smooth through the entire jump.

Finally the brakes I was scared that when I got rotors I would slide out too much from the brakes locking out for applying too much pressure. It's one reason I never upgraded. This is not the case at all. The brakes were perfect allowing me to easily slow down before some of the more dangerous sharp curves, or if I was carrying too much speed into a jump.

There a few kinks I need to work out. The positioning of the cable for the rear derailer hits my foot when pedaling. And I get a ton of chain noise when in second bigger front gear.
    Last edited by hotbeerjosh; 07-31-2016 at 10:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Eriks bike Shop got some more 21 Large 2014 D860's in stock still at the price of 1199. It's a steal
    2014 Redline D860 | Mountain Bikes | ERIK'S

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    So been riding the d860 for a month now. I don't have much to compare it to but I love this bike. It practically rides itself. I'll probably bring the handle bars in a bit with a new stem but that's it. If you can pick one up you won't regret it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I think I scooped one of the last new 2014 d860's. It was a shop in AK that had a few left and were listed on eBay for 1200. They ended up bringing the price down to 1000.

I'm pretty excited to receive the bike Thursday and from what I've read here and the limited info online, it sounds like this is a killer deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Brightside View Post
    I think I scooped one of the last new 2014 d860's. It was a shop in AK that had a few left and were listed on eBay for 1200. They ended up bringing the price down to 1000.

I'm pretty excited to receive the bike Thursday and from what I've read here and the limited info online, it sounds like this is a killer deal.
    Nice find. Mine has been awesome now for a few seasons.

So far I switched out the handle bars and for race face atlas brand stem and handlebars. They are much wider so it makes turns effort less. Seat post became a raceface ride (more on that later) and front setup became a single sprocket RF 34 tooth and I lost the front derauler.

HOWEVER:

Currently all of the parts from the D860 are being put on to a D680 Carbon Fiber red line frame. (Minus the seatpost because of size)

I'll have pictures up soon. But I had to go back to hard tail. Between pedal smacks and sagging on up hills my times had went down a bit. Quite a bit, and I was using a lot more energy.

So my D860 frame and rear rockshox will be up for sale soon if anyone knows anyone in the Virginia area that is looking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Nice find. Mine has been awesome now for a few seasons.

So far I switched out the handle bars and for race face atlas brand stem and handlebars. They are much wider so it makes turns effort less. Seat post became a raceface ride (more on that later) and front setup became a single sprocket RF 34 tooth and I lost the front derauler.

HOWEVER:

Currently all of the parts from the D860 are being put on to a D680 Carbon Fiber red line frame. (Minus the seatpost because of size)

I'll have pictures up soon. But I had to go back to hard tail. Between pedal smacks and sagging on up hills my times had went down a bit. Quite a bit, and I was using a lot more energy.

So my D860 frame and rear rockshox will be up for sale soon if anyone knows anyone in the Virginia area that is looking.
    Did you already have the D680 frame or did you find one recently?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I found one recently online. There are still some on EBAY. The quality is unbelievable. And my 7 yr old daughter can pick it up and spin it around like a toy.

-Try out the D860. Its an amazing deal for 1000 bucks. Even if for parts alone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    This was my D860 last yr after I put the new atlas hb on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

And after the front chainring was installed yr earlier.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I found one recently online. There are still some on EBAY. The quality is unbelievable. And my 7 yr old daughter can pick it up and spin it around like a toy.

-Try out the D860. Its an amazing deal for 1000 bucks. Even if for parts alone.
    PM sent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Picked it up at the shop!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

And back home (i know my garage is a wreck)

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

And back home (i know my garage is a wreck)
    Looks good!