Recommend custom builder- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Recommend custom builder

hi thinking of getting a Ti custom mtb frame...would like a few opinions on the best custom builder in terms of service, and quality of frames made...price isnt much of an issue here..

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mafia6
    hi thinking of getting a Ti custom mtb frame...would like a few opinions on the best custom builder in terms of service, and quality of frames made...price isnt much of an issue here..
    well if money isnt an issue and you want the frame fast.....id contact Seven or IF. Super high quality and can dial you in perfectly if you dont have much frame geometry knowledge.

If you know a ton about your geometry and build(tubing/butting) needs- then you can pick from a handful of smaller custom makers. But chances are they arent going to pump out a frame in 6-8 weeks like the big boys.

Its probably a question of your patience and needs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hmm since i am not really good at geometry i decided to narrow the choices down the the Seven Sola and IF Ti Deluxe..what i have noticed though is the immense difference in pricing.

Sola at $4.1k and the Ti Deluxe at $2.8k..i dont really understand what the gap in between is filled with would like u guys to enlighten me with it although i did say price isnt much of a matter i would prefer to get quality out of my every cent..

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hmm since i am not really good at geometry i decided to narrow the choices down the the Seven Sola and IF Ti Deluxe..what i have noticed though is the immense difference in pricing.

Sola at $4.1k and the Ti Deluxe at $2.8k..i dont really understand what the gap in between is filled with would like u guys to enlighten me with it although i did say price isnt much of a matter i would prefer to get quality out of my every cent..
    If im not mistaken...the SEVEN 4.1k is built. I think they would both be within a few hundred dollars frame only at around 2800.

They both are really nice and id venture to say it would behoove you to do a little homework on some basic ride quality differences like drivetrain stiffness, type of riding you most commonly do(long epic vs short fast vs rockyrooty/east coast/west coast)etc.

You might put in a call to each to inquire on basics of "turnaround time" and get a feel for how different each is with respect to time frame/ phone manners etc. or find a local dealer and pop in to check out each one and speak with the shops owners about the process.

Horst Linked
    Apr 2005
    I've been leaning towards Kish for a custom frame. Serotta is also making ti and carbon/ti mtb frames again. I know they have a pretty quick turnaround time, custom geo, and a fitting/measuring is included in the price. They make primarily road bikes but the mtbs that I've seen look pretty sweet
    Last edited by steve v; 11-07-2005 at 06:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by steve v
    I've been leaning towards Kish for a custom frame. Serotta is also making ti and carbon/ti mtb frames again. I know they have a pretty quick turnaround time, custom geo, and a fitting/measuring is included in the price. They make primarily road bikes but the mtbs that I've seen look pretty sweet
    would like more info on kish..any homepage to refer?

Horst Linked
    Apr 2005
    would like more info on kish..any homepage to refer?
    kishbike.com

There's some pics of Kish frames in this (custom builder) section. Amazing welds and attention to detail. You'll be losing sleep once you start looking at custom frames and builders.

AlexIsFubar
    Dec 2005
    WELL MAN, CONSIDERING MONEY IS NOT A PROBLEM..... NICOLAI !!! WHY NICOLAI? THEY'RE 100% HAND-MADE IN GERMANY FROM ALUMINUM 7020, UNLIMITED CUSTOMIZING OPTIONS AND COMBINATIONS. ALSO AVAILABLE IN MAGNESIUM+TITANIUM. THESE FRAMES SIMPLY WON'T BREAK!!! NOT TO MENTION THE 5-YEAR RACING GUARANTEE..... THEY ALSO MAKE FRAMES IN CUSTOM SIZES. YOU CHOOSE WHATEVER COLOR YOU WANT, WITH ABOUT 4 COLOR EFFECTS TO COMBINE IT. I GOT MINE A YEAR AGO,AND I LOVE IT!!!
    I HAD A SCOTT NITROUS & A SANTACRUZ BLUR, WHICH I BOTH BROKE IN LESS THAN 4 MONTHS! THIS ONE SEEMS IS GONNA BREAK ME.... ANYWAY FOR MORE TAKE A LOOK AT www.nicolai.net

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    i would give carl strong a call. he built me my last road frame and i came out great. he has fair prices and resonable lead times.

mtbr member
    Just ordered a Setavento custom ti frame. Wasnt too sure on the geometry either but I talked it through with the builder and he guided me in the right direction. Really helpful guy and the frames are getting good press in the UK.

The fully custom ti frames are only £625 (a cheaper alternative to IF)

www.setavento.com

DS
    "to finish first you first must finish" - Mike Hailwood

Sep 2005

Indy Fab Hands down!

I'd say that even if I didn't sell them.

P.M. or call Wrench Science if you want to know why.

mtbr member

Try Carl Strong

Have a look at http://www.strongframes.com

He's built a great frame for me and recently did a custom steel rigid fork as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0