Rear Derailleur Cable rub on XCL- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rear Derailleur Cable rub on XCL

i've had quite a time trying to keep my rear derailleur hanger cable from rubbing on the seat tube. The rear brake line bends up out of the way of the seat tube when the suspension is compressed. The der. cable bends into the seat tube and has already rubbed through a couple of layers of tape and the finish.
    Anyone else have the same problem?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Sounds like your cable between top tube and seatstay is too long. Can you take a picture?

mtbr member
    I'll post a pic later today.
    thanks

mtbr member

heres the pic

Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Well, that doesn't look too long. I'm using SRAM (Avid) Flak Jacket cables/housing that seem to be pretty stiff.. I was able to "shape" it to make mine deflect to the outside. Ypu may just need stiffer cable housing.

That's quite a rub spot.. I'm guessing the pvc jacket of the cable has worn through to the steel braid.

Feb 2008
    Hello am interested in buying the Item you posted on mtbr and i hope is still available for for sale? let me know the present condition it is, why you are selling it and how much is it going for last? send me email to [email protected]

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neilster1
    Well, that doesn't look too long. I'm using SRAM (Avid) Flak Jacket cables/housing that seem to be pretty stiff.. I was able to "shape" it to make mine deflect to the outside. Ypu may just need stiffer cable housing.

That's quite a rub spot.. I'm guessing the pvc jacket of the cable has worn through to the steel braid.
    Its not quite through but, needing replacing. I also just went out to the garage to clean and lube the bike down, I rotated the housing, put in back in the stops and it looks like it will bend up instead of in. Its amazing how these thinngs work themselves out when you start looking for help.
    thanks

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by kaka24
    Hello am interested in buying the Item you posted on mtbr and i hope is still available for for sale? let me know the present condition it is, why you are selling it and how much is it going for last? send me email to [email protected]

Thanks
    This sounds like the scammer emails I get when I list something for sale. Only out of context of a sale...

mtbr member
    So the next questions is: Is there a way to predispose the cable housing to bend a particular way? The cable housing above only bent the way I wanted after it had some memory to bend a particular direction and I rotated it.

mtbr member
    You may want to try a longer cable piece there actually. A longer piece will allow it to bow out a little more during compression.

That's just my theory of course. I'm not getting any rub on mine.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    I run full housing and it does not rub since it slides through the guides.

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtnBkr
    I run full housing and it does not rub since it slides through the guides.
    Sorry for the slight derailment...

PaMtnBkr - How did you run full length with the stock cable guides? Did you drill them out or use housing guides? Can you post some pics? I like running full length housing as well but have been contemplating how to do it on the XCL.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

No biggy

Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Sorry for the slight derailment...

PaMtnBkr - How did you run full length with the stock cable guides? Did you drill them out or use housing guides? Can you post some pics? I like running full length housing as well but have been contemplating how to do it on the XCL.
    Hey scruffylooking,
    I contacted Chumba 1st to make sure I wasn't going to void the warrantee and they said "no problem". I used a drill to open up the guides. I started w/a small bit and kept moving up in size in order to keep the bit from "biting" into the guides and ripping them up. I had to finish up the 2 guides nearest the head tube by hand holding the drill bit in vice grips to clean out the opening. I need to get a small round file to clean things up a bit more, since one of the guides is cutting the casing on the cable as it slides through. I live in western Pa and crappy weather is a given and we ride year round, so I always run full housings. No pics, I am a mental midget when it comes to down loading pics onto this site.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Chech For An Older Post On Drilling Out Cable Stops.

it's....

how did you drill it smooth?

At first, I setup my XCL with full length housing for rear, but I couldn't drill out the stops completely smooth.
    Suspension action wore out the cable housing really quick sliding around inside the drilled out stops.
    When I converted to 1x9, I moved the rear cable to the cable stops for front instead, and switched back to partial housing.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Flexible Dremel w/grind stone

Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    At first, I setup my XCL with full length housing for rear, but I couldn't drill out the stops completely smooth.
    Suspension action wore out the cable housing really quick sliding around inside the drilled out stops.
    When I converted to 1x9, I moved the rear cable to the cable stops for front instead, and switched back to partial housing.
    I used a flexible Dremel w/grind stone and a round file. I need to re-do one of my stops. it has a burr that is eating my housing.

Members who have read this thread: 0