Quick weight question...oh and...- Mtbr.com

Feb 2007

Quick weight question...oh and...

How much does a complete small XCL weigh?

And oh, out of 10 (10 being the fastest), how fast would you rate the XCL as a climber.
    If you have experiences with other similar bikes, please feel free to compare them.

Thanks in advance.

Your answer may be the deciding factor!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hi CharikoMoFo!,

The XCL aint too bad at climbing at all, in fact we raced an 05 model through a few seasons down here in Australia. Even won a few events with it, including a few 3hrs and it was part of the team that won Austrlain 24 hr Championships 2006 Mixed 4 category (team Lost In Transition).

Okay admittedly, the 07 XCL is slightly different to the bike we raced, but it's the same basic design. Stiff for accelerating, active for better traction etc.

As with most bikes it will depend with how you build it up, we built ours up last time as a fast trail bike, and it was perfect for single track racing. With no fear of the frame breaking we could push further into corners than the other bikes.

Can't wait to get the new ones......hear they are going to be pretty special

xcl_side.jpg

XCL_A.jpg

Feb 2007
    Hey thanks for the info man.
    Your set up there is exactly what I want to build...a fast trail bike more than an AM.

Do you know what improvements the new ones are going to have or is that confidential?
    What are they releasing them.

Best.

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CharikoMoFo!
    Hey thanks for the info man.
    Your set up there is exactly what I want to build...a fast trail bike more than an AM.

Do you know what improvements the new ones are going to have or is that confidential?
    What are they releasing them.

Best.
    Improvements to the new XCL:

• New brace running from top-tube to the seat tube which will allow for better sizing all around.
    • Anodized finish options
    • More travel, same geometry so you get a better DH feel without sacrificing the climbing ability
    • A complete X9/FSA build kit is going to be offered so you can buy a complete XCL for an awesome price!

Hope that helps. The new bikes should be here in about six-weeks!

Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CranxOC
    Improvements to the new XCL:

• New brace running from top-tube to the seat tube which will allow for better sizing all around.
    • Anodized finish options
    • More travel, same geometry so you get a better DH feel without sacrificing the climbing ability
    • A complete X9/FSA build kit is going to be offered so you can buy a complete XCL for an awesome price!

Hope that helps. The new bikes should be here in about six-weeks!
    Does more travel really not sacrifice climbing abilities?
    Can you explain why it doesn't sacrifice climbing abilities with more travel?Is it because it retains the same geometry as well a progressive travel?
    I'm a bit new to FS bikes as I've ridden hardtails my whole life.
    Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0