Questions for Evo riders- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Questions for Evo riders

I'm seriously thinking about an Evo as a next bike for my son. Yeah, I know, he's lucky his dad rides and appreciates, but that's a given. The distributor here is a good friend and will make me a good deal, that helps.

Anyway, the facts.

We live way the hell out in the middle of nowhere (like 5 hrs drive to the nearest real town) in a developing country (Philippines). Mountains. What the hell, we live here:

We ride almost every day. Typical ride involves extended steep climbs on very rough surfaces, lots of tight twitchy technical single track, and a whole lot of serious down, usually on steep single track through pine forest or on rough rocky rutted fire road. we also do all-day and multi-day epics, generally on very rough roads involving a lot of extended up and down.

My son is 17 and has been riding hard since 13. He likes to ride all day and go very, very, fast over stuff that sane people stay away from. He also likes to fly a bit: bike needs to handle 12-15 foot drops to transition, 6 foot drops to flat, and occasional gap jumps. He does the occasional DH race, though there's not enough opportunity to warrant building up a dedicated dh race bike.

His current bike is a 2003 Yeti ASX, it's been a great bike and has served nobly but is feeling its age and getting a bit creaky. Yes, we're talking about a kid who can wear out an ASX, which takes some doing. We'd be buying the frame only, and switching over the kit from the ASX: 36 Talas, XT, Avid, etc. Decent stuff.

What he really wants is a Knolly Delirium, but you can't get them here and even if you could, the price...

Ok, so the questions:

Honestly, given the conditions outlined above, is the Evo the right bike?

Can this bike deal with repeated constant daily hard landings, large drops, and high speed runs over very rough surfaces, as a serious freeride bike would?

Coming from the ASX, is the shorter travel going to feel like a limiting factor?

Can it handle the occasional DH race?

He's convinced that he'd need to swap out the DHX Air for a coil shock, no trust in air. Comments?

It would be great if he could demo one, but given the logistics, that would be difficult. Any informed comment would make the decision process easier... I tell him his next bike after this will be one he buys... so it may have to last a while!

PS: Dad rides a battered old Ellsworth Joker, and is seriously thinking maybe XCL next...

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by dayuhan
    I'm seriously thinking about an Evo as a next bike for my son. Yeah, I know, he's lucky his dad rides and appreciates, but that's a given. The distributor here is a good friend and will make me a good deal, that helps.

Anyway, the facts.

We live way the hell out in the middle of nowhere (like 5 hrs drive to the nearest real town) in a developing country (Philippines). Mountains. What the hell, we live here:

We ride almost every day. Typical ride involves extended steep climbs on very rough surfaces, lots of tight twitchy technical single track, and a whole lot of serious down, usually on steep single track through pine forest or on rough rocky rutted fire road. we also do all-day and multi-day epics, generally on very rough roads involving a lot of extended up and down.

My son is 17 and has been riding hard since 13. He likes to ride all day and go very, very, fast over stuff that sane people stay away from. He also likes to fly a bit: bike needs to handle 12-15 foot drops to transition, 6 foot drops to flat, and occasional gap jumps. He does the occasional DH race, though there's not enough opportunity to warrant building up a dedicated dh race bike.

His current bike is a 2003 Yeti ASX, it's been a great bike and has served nobly but is feeling its age and getting a bit creaky. Yes, we're talking about a kid who can wear out an ASX, which takes some doing. We'd be buying the frame only, and switching over the kit from the ASX: 36 Talas, XT, Avid, etc. Decent stuff.

What he really wants is a Knolly Delirium, but you can't get them here and even if you could, the price...

Ok, so the questions:

Honestly, given the conditions outlined above, is the Evo the right bike?

Can this bike deal with repeated constant daily hard landings, large drops, and high speed runs over very rough surfaces, as a serious freeride bike would?

Coming from the ASX, is the shorter travel going to feel like a limiting factor?

Can it handle the occasional DH race?

He's convinced that he'd need to swap out the DHX Air for a coil shock, no trust in air. Comments?

It would be great if he could demo one, but given the logistics, that would be difficult. Any informed comment would make the decision process easier... I tell him his next bike after this will be one he buys... so it may have to last a while!

PS: Dad rides a battered old Ellsworth Joker, and is seriously thinking maybe XCL next...
    Hey there,

This is Alan from CHUMBA. I think you will see that there are many happy EVO owners in our forum. You can check out our user product reviews on this website, and also our EVO reviews in Mountain Bike Action, Australia Mountain Bike, and our review from Interbike's dirt demo. Also, you can browse our forum and see the ride reports from many of our customers on the EVO and XCL.

As for your questions, 10 feet drops to flat are no problem, when you see the bike, you will see it is one of the burliest, strongest six inch bikes out there. Also, DH racing is no problem at all, it is actually perfect for flat DH courses where a lot of pedaling is involved, and at its weight, your son will definitely have an advantage!

Hope this helps!

-A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

nerfherder
    6 ft to flat????

10 ft to flat????

Surely that can't be good for your ankles. I don't jump much but I'm just saying...

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    6 ft to flat????

10 ft to flat????

Surely that can't be good for your ankles. I don't jump much but I'm just saying...
    There are a lot of serious freeriders out there - the EVO can handle the punishment...
    Last edited by CHUMBAevo; 10-20-2007 at 01:54 AM.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    The EVO can handle that, and it will climb a lot better than the asx. My bud just built an asx up (awesome bike btw!) and my EVO pedals much better imo, and I have the old geometry. I agree with your son, get a coil shock. I run coils front and back and wouldn't go back to air.
    Good luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Not something I'd ever dream of, but like I said, he's 17. Funny thing is, you watch people with good technique do drops like that, and the landings look almost soft. If I tried it the landing would register on the Richter scale, and I'd be on my way to the hospital.

Thanks for the feedback; it looks like he may actually have a chance to ride one in a couple of weeks, the guy who handles distribution here has one built up and will be coming up to the mountains... that'll make the process easier. With all the numbers that get used to describe frames these days (especially travel) I think people sometimes get lost in their decimal points and forget the important thing: what it feels like when you ride it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Repetitive 6ft-10ft drops to flat? Sounds like your son needs a hardtail. Sure the Evo is very stout and can handle a beating. Get a back up shock (or two) and extra hardware.

Members who have read this thread: 0