Question for XCL owners with RP23's- Mtbr.com
    Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004

Question for XCL owners with RP23's

I just installed my RP23 after riding a DHX Air for six months and the RP23 is not right. I specified what bike it was going on when I purchased it and they sent it with the proper hardware. The factory dampener settings showing on the stickers on the body are max compression and medium rebound. Is this what everybody else has? This thing is so overdamped that with 3-4 clicks of rebound dialed in the shock basically locks out, I can't imagine this is correct and no amount of breaking in is going to get this thing where it's usable. I've been trying to get some answers from Chumba but no luck. Anybody have some insight. Thanks in advance.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    I just installed my RP23 after riding a DHX Air for six months and the RP23 is not right. I specified what bike it was going on when I purchased it and they sent it with the proper hardware. The factory dampener settings showing on the stickers on the body are max compression and medium rebound. Is this what everybody else has? This thing is so overdamped that with 3-4 clicks of rebound dialed in the shock basically locks out, I can't imagine this is correct and no amount of breaking in is going to get this thing where it's usable. I've been trying to get some answers from Chumba but no luck. Anybody have some insight. Thanks in advance.

There is definately a big problem with the shock Rivet, if 3 or 4 clicks of rebound locks it out. My RP23 is buttery smooth.
    I'm not sure I know what you mean by "factory dampener settings, showing on the stickers" though. Could you elaborate?

mtbr member
    I have the same settings on my RP23 - medium rebound - max compression.

I run about 140psi (175lbs) with about rebound in the middle - so similar to your 4-5 clicks in. It definitely doesn't feel locked out to me though, except perhaps in setting #3. I run #1 on most climbs and fireroads and then just open it on the down.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrimack Dave
    There is definately a big problem with the shock Rivet, if 3 or 4 clicks of rebound locks it out. My RP23 is buttery smooth.
    I'm not sure I know what you mean by "factory dampener settings, showing on the stickers" though. Could you elaborate?
    Maybe it's just on the 08 model but if you look on the shock body there are small stickers that have compression and rebound written on them with three different length bars next to them, this is what I assume are the factory settings of the shock. I imagine they differ depending on the bike design and the different leverage ratios.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    I have the same settings on my RP23 - medium rebound - max compression.

I run about 140psi (175lbs) with about rebound in the middle - so similar to your 4-5 clicks in. It definitely doesn't feel locked out to me though, except perhaps in setting #3. I run #1 on most climbs and fireroads and then just open it on the down.
    I have the propedal turned to 1 and when it's off (open) and I dial in 3-4 clicks on the rebound the thing basically locks out. I weigh about 160lbs and with 140psi in the thing I'm riding a hardtail.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    I didn't know they had different settings until you mentioned it - so I went to take a look. I just bought mine off the classifieds - not knowing they even had bike specific settings.

Sounds like you definitely got a lemon - or perhaps the wrong hardware that is causing some binding? Do you still have your DHX with the hardware on it? Maybe check the widths or something?

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    I didn't know they had different settings until you mentioned it - so I went to take a look. I just bought mine off the classifieds - not knowing they even had bike specific settings.

Sounds like you definitely got a lemon - or perhaps the wrong hardware that is causing some binding? Do you still have your DHX with the hardware on it? Maybe check the widths or something?
    Ya, been down that road, I even ran the shock fasteners a little loose just to confirm it wasn't binding. At this point I think I got a lemon, bollocks. Thanks for responding.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Must be a lemon? Mine is silky smooth and I am totally happy w/it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have the propedal turned to 1 and when it's off (open) and I dial in 3-4 clicks on the rebound the thing basically locks out. I weigh about 160lbs and with 140psi in the thing I'm riding a hardtail.

Could your pressure be too high? What is your sag like? The other fellow is setting the shock at 80% body weight and you are closure to 88% body weight. Try dropping the pressure and check sag.

mtbr member

Any word on a fix?

I was wondering if you have come to any conclusions with the rp23?
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chumbacabra
    I was wondering if you have come to any conclusions with the rp23?
    Sent it back to Fox. It's interesting, the shock is just way over-damped for my weight but works great for 210lb buddy. The fact that the RP23 comes with multiple pre-set internal rebound and compression damper settings from the factory I wonder why they don't ask you how much you weigh when you purchase one? They just sent me out the highest compression and medium rebound setting after I told them waht bike it was going on. It kind of makes me think they have some scam going with Push. No wonder everybody sends their shocks to Push, If I hadn't known about the factory pre-sets I'd have done the same thing because the shock was worthless for somebody my weight(150lbs).
    "Do not touch the trim"

Peace & Love
    Sent it back to Fox. It's interesting, the shock is just way over-damped for my weight but works great for 210lb buddy. The fact that the RP23 comes with multiple pre-set internal rebound and compression damper settings from the factory I wonder why they don't ask you how much you weigh when you purchase one? They just sent me out the highest compression and medium rebound setting after I told them waht bike it was going on. It kind of makes me think they have some scam going with Push. No wonder everybody sends their shocks to Push, If I hadn't known about the factory pre-sets I'd have done the same thing because the shock was worthless for somebody my weight(150lbs).
    lol...scam with PUSH...good theory!

i am not into bells and whistles if possible but gotta say the boys at PUSH do kick ass and its one noticeable improvement for sure and has been for the many shocks/forks i have sent their way to date

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    lol...scam with PUSH...good theory!

i am not into bells and whistles if possible but gotta say the boys at PUSH do kick ass and its one noticeable improvement for sure and has been for the many shocks/forks i have sent their way to date
    But why? Don't you wonder why a company the size of Fox can't get a shock right from the get go. I mean jeez, $400-$500 for a shock and then you have to send it to Push and spend another $200.00 to actually make it work correctly, weak. You should have heard the conversation I had with the Fox service department, they refused to admit that the shock was overdamped for my weight, and almost weren't going to take it back and look at it, I could just sense the guy wanted to tell me to send it to Push...phock that. Maybe they just assume everybodies 210lbs and if you aren'y you're screwed.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Peace & Love
    But why? Don't you wonder why a company the size of Fox can't get a shock right from the get go. I mean jeez, $400-$500 for a shock and then you have to send it to Push and spend another $200.00 to actually make it work correctly, weak. You should have heard the conversation I had with the Fox service department, they refused to admit that the shock was overdamped for my weight, and almost weren't going to take it back and look at it, I could just sense the guy wanted to tell me to send it to Push...phock that. Maybe they just assume everybodies 210lbs and if you aren'y you're screwed.
    in my simple mind its that PUSH simply caters the performance to the persons weight, riding style, etc....which no amount of adjustments on a stock shock can duplicate. plus, i want a set it and forget it setup which PUSH really helps with too

nerfherder
    I look at it like this: most bike companies offer small, medium, or large in frame sizes. You're going to have to try and fit one of those. Push is the custom builder who gives you the option to lengthen your top tube a tad, shorten the chainstays, lower the BB, add a little more slackness to the HA, etc.

That said, I haven't had a shock Pushed yet, but I'm looking forward to trying it.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    in my simple mind its that PUSH simply caters the performance to the persons weight, riding style, etc....which no amount of adjustments on a stock shock can duplicate. plus, i want a set it and forget it setup which PUSH really helps with too
    Ya, I can see that but the DHX Air it's replacing actually ended being a pretty nice shock, it's just a bit heavy and I hate the dial wheel for the Pro Pedal (older one) and I wanted the on-off switch of the RP23.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Members who have read this thread: 0