Question for custome builders- Mtbr.com
    College
    Jun 2004

Question for custome builders

So i was wondering how much money all your tools for frame building costs?

4000, 5000, 6000(USD) ?

mtbr member

It depends

Quote Originally Posted by b12yan88
    So i was wondering how much money all your tools for frame building costs?

4000, 5000, 6000(USD) ?
    You could get started with a torch, a few files, and and improvised set of fixtures for about $500, I'd imagine. The more creative you are, the more you can save.

I don't have everything I want, but do have a Tig machine, cut-off saw, torches, 2 lathes (at a bargain $300/per), drill press and a couple of grinders. I made my own fixtures. Probably $9-10K worth, plus tables, drawing supplies, hand tools, etc, etc.

At the high end, an Anvil frame fixture costs $4500+, so it's easy to see how expensive it can get.

Ozark Native

how about tubing suppliers

and do you have any pics of diy fixtures? I am lookin at a simple steel 29er ss that could use something like Kona's slotted hanger for possible gears. I know there are many variables but in general what gauge wire and sheilding gas is used for steel. Any info would be great.

Thanks in advance
    Chris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lil hillbilly
    and do you have any pics of diy fixtures? I am lookin at a simple steel 29er ss that could use something like Kona's slotted hanger for possible gears. I know there are many variables but in general what gauge wire and sheilding gas is used for steel. Any info would be great.

Thanks in advance
    Chris

Look here for fixture ideas:

www.geocities.com/smonfrey/fixtures.htm

Don't try to build a usable bike your first time, unless you're being guided by a pro. I know that's no fun, but you'll be happier in the long run.

Tube suppliers generally only like to deal with professionals, so have your tax ID ready before you call. Nova, Henry James, Merry Sales, Bringheli, and Pacenti all sell tubes and supplies.

I use 3/32" 880T filler wire, but easily-found ER70S is available at your local welding supply. For TIG, the gas has to be pure argon. Please don't try to MIG weld bicycle tubes.

You may want to look around and see if there are any local framebuilders. Inquire if you can pick their brain for a bit. That's how I got introduced to it and it was invaluable.

Good luck.