Question about Motobecanes- Mtbr.com

Nov 2006

Question about Motobecanes

Are Motobecanes really that bad? A guy from my LBS where I purchased my Cdale roadie from said that when you buy a Motobecane, you are paying for the parts only and the frame is free. Are the frames near department store quality? I have a 600DS myself and the frame is pretty heavy, but stiff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    A friend of mine picked up the Fantom Comp this summer and it's holding up well. He's 200 lbs and rides fairly aggressive. Definitely better than dept store quality. Welds were descent and the finish is holding up well. It is a little flexy, but not bad considering the price.

Nov 2006
    Yeah, but that's a high end frame. What about the lower end models? Like the x00DS frames?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    No experience with the lower end models, but if it gets the job done, who cares what the shop says. That's the attitude that keeps me away from bike shops. Just because you bought it online, it's crap. Take a close look at their stock of low end bikes and you'll see the main difference being cost. You paid less. You already purchased one bike from the shop. If they treat you right, you may buy your next one from them. If not, they lose a sale and you go online.

Nov 2006
    Yeah, but I'm really curious to know if my low end Moto DS frame really is low quality.

Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ck8-04
    Yeah, but I'm really curious to know if my low end Moto DS frame really is low quality.
    Launch that sucker off a 15-20' dropoff, that should clarify things nicely...

In all seriousness, I have the comp DS and its working really well. And I weigh 285lb as of last tuesday.

S*it Happens!
    The company that makes Motobecane's frames is the same one the makes. GT, Schwinn, Raleigh, Trek, Bianchi, Santa Cruz, Haro, Kona, Jamis, K2, Felt, Storck, Commencal, Sunn and Ideal. Your frame is constructed from 7005 aluminum and it's a lot stronger then 6061 used in other bike frames. So I will ask you one question. Do you think that if a frame is made from the same place that all others are made and a made with a higher grade aluminum that it would not be as good? Here is the manufacturers web site. Click Here

People on this forum and else ware will trash talk Motobecane. Motobecane is a true underdog and you would wonder why. Good components, frames, price... The only people that trash talk moto's are people that don't own one or are selling something else.

Moto's Rock!
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

Apr 2004
    Geez.........I amazed the lynch mob hasn't come out.

I don't mean to bash this forum, but the last time the word "Motobecane" came up, I was about to say the hell with mtbr.com and the rest of it's staff.

Having said that..............I should also point out it was more of an issue with Roadbikereview.com, a couple of mods, and a handful of members.

I posted a thread on there asking about Motobecane bikes, and BikesDirect.com, or some kinda cheesy closeout company, and I got SLAUGHTERED. They instantly, and VERY rudely started bashing me, and accusing my of working for this other company, and "shilling" for the company. I can't even remember exactly what "shilling" means anymore.

Anyways................aside from the ****-storm that was stirred up over there, the few mature answers I got from members was along the same lines as what you've been told. Their bikes are at least worth the components, and if the frame lasts you, thats an added bonus. I do know that that company.........I think it's called BikesDirect, or something.........has some pretty good prices on Motobecane and Fuji complete bikes, with highend groupos. So, even if you plan to build up a bike, it wouldn't hurt to look.

And for the record..................(not that I'm against Moto), I STILL don't own one. I've been riding my Ibis for the last 7 years now.

Members who have read this thread: 0