Ques. for XCL owners- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Ques. for XCL owners

Those of you that have recently gotten XCLs, I was wondering if you could tell me your
    size , ie I'm 5'11" with about 30" inseam, and whether you're riding a med or large XCL.
    On my current ride, a blurXC, I have a large which supposedly has a 24" top tube, although
    I've never bothered to measure it to see if it really is 24", or 23.something. I did have to swap from a 120 to 130mm stem to get the cockpit feeling right.
    I know for some bike manufacturers, the dimensions they claim on their websites are a
    little off from the actual lengths. Some run pretty short toptubes. I was wondering if Chumba was one of them. I think a lot of it could depend on where they're measuring from too.
    The correct way to measure top tube length would be to start at the top of the seatpost
    collar. I think it might be different for different manufacturers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Wow, not one response, and this is the second thread I've posted trying to get info
    on Chumba. It seems like people are more interested in ChumaEVO colors.
    Whats up with that ? What about you ChumbaEVO? Any thoughts ?
    I was also wondering, on the other thread, what fork the geo stats on the Chumba site
    were based on. Hope to get a reply.

mtbr member
    I can't speak to the exact top tube measurements, but like everyone else I believe they measure the effective top tube - basically straight back from the top of the headtube to where it would hit the seatpost when keeping parallel with the ground.

http://www.bikeforest.com/CAD/effective_top_tube.php

I'm 5'10" with a 30 inch inseam and I rode a medium XCL at Interbike. The stem on it wasn't too long - most likely a 90 or 100mm and I felt right at home on it.

You say you're running a 120 or 130 on a large Blur. Do you have super long arms or something? That seems awful long for a guy that close to my size.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    Those of you that have recently gotten XCLs, I was wondering if you could tell me your
    size , ie I'm 5'11" with about 30" inseam, and whether you're riding a med or large XCL.
    On my current ride, a blurXC, I have a large which supposedly has a 24" top tube, although
    I've never bothered to measure it to see if it really is 24", or 23.something. I did have to swap from a 120 to 130mm stem to get the cockpit feeling right.
    I know for some bike manufacturers, the dimensions they claim on their websites are a
    little off from the actual lengths. Some run pretty short toptubes. I was wondering if Chumba was one of them. I think a lot of it could depend on where they're measuring from too.
    The correct way to measure top tube length would be to start at the top of the seatpost
    collar. I think it might be different for different manufacturers.
    Sorry for the late response, we've had one of our busiest weeks ever. The top tube measurements on the website should be pretty accurate, I measured a XCL frame in the warehouse and it corresponded.

That being said, at 5'11, I would push you more towards a medium, as you might be stretched out a bit on the large, since the XCL is more of a trail bike, than an endurance style XC bike.

A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    Sorry for the late response, we've had one of our busiest weeks ever. The top tube measurements on the website should be pretty accurate, I measured a XCL frame in the warehouse and it corresponded.

That being said, at 5'11, I would push you more towards a medium, as you might be stretched out a bit on the large, since the XCL is more of a trail bike, than an endurance style XC bike.

A.
    Thanks for the responses. Just wanted to check that. My arms are a little long, but I've
    always had the tendency to err on the side of large rather than small, thinking its easier
    to fix by going to a smaller stem than the other way around. I understand you guys must
    be pretty busy there getting everything ready for the upcoming season, so I will try to be
    more patient waiting for replies.
    Just out of curiosity, do you happen to remember what length fork the angles on website
    are based on ? Is there going to be any change in the geometry for the newer vesion of
    the XCL ? Thanks.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    Thanks for the responses. Just wanted to check that. My arms are a little long, but I've
    always had the tendency to err on the side of large rather than small, thinking its easier
    to fix by going to a smaller stem than the other way around. I understand you guys must
    be pretty busy there getting everything ready for the upcoming season, so I will try to be
    more patient waiting for replies.
    Just out of curiosity, do you happen to remember what length fork the angles on website
    are based on ? Is there going to be any change in the geometry for the newer vesion of
    the XCL ? Thanks.
    I believe the angles are based off of a 130mm Fox fork -- I can double check the angles with the angle finder this week.

-A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0