QR dropout vs. Thruaxle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Smile QR dropout vs. Thruaxle

I have an 07 xcl. Love it. Just looking into upgrading the wheelset. Is the added stiffness of a thru-axle worth the added weight. Also, are any of the thruaxle compatable with my current QR on the fork (Reba Team) or the rear QR dropout on the back.
    thanks,
    Larry
    ake mrlanderson

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by chumbacabra
    I have an 07 xcl. Love it. Just looking into upgrading the wheelset. Is the added stiffness of a thru-axle worth the added weight. Also, are any of the thruaxle compatable with my current QR on the fork (Reba Team) or the rear QR dropout on the back.
    thanks,
    Larry
    ake mrlanderson
    Hi Larry,

Glad to hear you are enjoying the bike! I really do enjoy using a fork that uses a 20mm axle, especially if you plan on jumping and doing small drops - or even riding rocky, aggressive terrain. If you plan on going with a 20mm, you will need a fork like the Rockshox PIKE or Lyrik, both of which work great with the XCL. The CHUMBA wheelset uses a 10mm rear axle - but it is not a thru-axle.

-A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

I'm on fire.
    I have an 07 xcl. Love it. Just looking into upgrading the wheelset. Is the added stiffness of a thru-axle worth the added weight.
    I've been pondering the same question. Wondering what wheelsets people have had good luck with, and whether a front thru-axle is worth it. I'd like a set of wheels that can switch between a thru-axle and QR setup.
    Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY

mtbr member
    I dont know about a compleate well set but I have been riding the same pair of Hope Hubs for 11 years without a single problem! They have outlasted three bikes. I have specked the Pro IIs for my recently ordered XCL and they have the added advantage that they can be easily rebuilt with various axel configs (I have ordered the 10mm bolt option for the rear.)

mtbr member
    so.... DT Swiss makes a conversion for its hubs to a 10mmX135mm thru bolt. Will this fit on the XCL frame? How about the same for the front fork? Will this 9mm thru bolt fit on my QR Reba?

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    My XCL came with the Chumba wheelset, which has a 10 mm QR thru-axle. I'm positive the DT Swiss thru-bolt will fit, in fact I just picked up a set of wheels with 240s hubs and I plan to make this conversion myself.

mtbr member
    so.... DT Swiss makes a conversion for its hubs to a 10mmX135mm thru bolt. Will this fit on the XCL frame? How about the same for the front fork? Will this 9mm thru bolt fit on my QR Reba?
    Yes, and Yes.

mtbr member
    I love the TA of the Lyric. It's easy to take the wheel off, when compared to my friend's Marz. I have the WTB Speed Disc wheels front and rear, and while they ride great, it's a ***** to get a tire on and off. It's just something about how the tire bead sits in there. I have run Kenda Nevies on narrower rims without difficulty. Anyway, the Lyric is a great fork, with adjustments galore! One thing to consider is how you transport your bike. Fork mount racks won't work with a TA.

I'm living the dream!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottandhisdog
    One thing to consider is how you transport your bike. Fork mount racks won't work with a TA.
    They will fit with a T/A adaptor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky D
    They will fit with a T/A adaptor.
    Awesome find!! I was going to try to waste a good part of the weekend machining some gizmoid to do just that. Sweet.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I am waiting for the "fly-traps" from Rocky Mounts to start shipping (at least, they weren't at my local rack shop yet)

They look easier to use - they clamp down on the TA, so mounting the bike on the rack seems like it'd be easier.

I'm on fire.
    I'm thinking about snagging the Easton Havocs. Front hub is convertable - QR or thru axle.
    Cycle CNY

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger
    I'm thinking about snagging the Easton Havocs. Front hub is convertable - QR or thru axle.
    Spensive. But those are the wheels that NOIP abuses on a regular basis, so I guess that they are trail tested. No more tubeless? I am still considering it after Sunday's fiasco.

I'm on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottandhisdog
    Spensive. But those are the wheels that NOIP abuses on a regular basis, so I guess that they are trail tested. No more tubeless? I am still considering it after Sunday's fiasco.
    I found a super secret special deal and snagged them for just over $400...not bad considering the MSRP of $700. I've tried running tubeless on my Crosslands, but its totally not worth the hassle and extra expense for me, and I had two flats that wouldn't seal in the 2 weeks I tried it. I've run tubes 99% of the time I've had them, and I'm fine with that.
    Cycle CNY

Members who have read this thread: 0