Psycle Werks Wild Hare set-up questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Psycle Werks Wild Hare set-up questions

I know there are still a few past or present Psycle Werks owners/riders out on this forum, and hope I can get some insight to a few questions regarding set-up. I just took delivery of my Wild Hare this week, and was a little surprised at the size of the bike. For an 18" bike this ride is pretty big. I realized it was fairly long but it also sits pretty high in front with its Z1 BAM fork. Man it is a nicely built bike though, and with what little saddle time I have had, its clearly a beefy, well made ride with swingarm construction similar to my past Racer X. Truly one of the nicer frames I have seen in a while.

Anyway...I live and ride in the midwest where singletrack trails are pretty tight and big suspension travel is not a real plus...at least not for me personally. I have already picked-up a Manitou 3 way swinger for the rear, and will keep it bolted to the short-travel link setting. The fork is a bigger concern though, and I am wondering if anyone has had any luck running this bike with an 80-85mm fork as opposed to the 110mm Z1? I think Marzochhi has a travel reduction kit for the Z1, but I don't want to unbalance the bike if its best equipped with the longer travel fork. Maybe its just going to be the wrong bike for the type of XC riding I do, and better equipped for more wide-open west-region trail riding ?

Anyway any feedback on the fork set-up would be appreciated. I would rather re-sell the bike as is, than spend more money only to make it handle worse...

Thanks

Jeff

NedwannaB

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! 2nd hand info

Quote Originally Posted by N10S
    The fork is a bigger concern though, and I am wondering if anyone has had any luck running this bike with an 80-85mm fork as opposed to the 110mm Z1? I think Marzochhi has a travel reduction kit for the Z1, but I don't want to unbalance the bike if its best equipped with the longer travel fork. Maybe its just going to be the wrong bike for the type of XC riding I do, and better equipped for more wide-open west-region trail riding ?

Anyway any feedback on the fork set-up would be appreciated. I would rather re-sell the bike as is, than spend more money only to make it handle worse...

Thanks

Jeff
    My brother's had a PS for over 5-6 years now and loves it. A couple years ago he got a wild hare (no pun intended...) to set it up a little more All Mountain and had the same problem when switching over to a longer travel fork. Unless they have changed the geometry on newer models, the WH is set up for an 80mm fork, though I've seen many on their site with more travel. He put a Fox Vanilla 125 on which is a great fork (has a vanilla coil rr shock on it) but really didn't like the way it handled after and had it dropped down to around 100 which felt a little better, but not great. Partly the change in feel of the fork which he liked at 125, part the handling as you said it sits a little tall already. So he gave up and switched back to an 80. I think if he would have run a 100 fork right off the start, he probably might not have been bothered by it, but with all the hassle it just didn't work out.

I looked into getting a frame to build up and use one of the 105-120 adj. travel Marz forks, but the with a small frame/taller fork, the bb hieght didn't seem right. If your frame size works, that fork set-up would be great and economical.

Good luck!.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the info, its appreciated! I spoke with the guys at Marzochhi the other day, and they can sell me a reducer kit with slightly heavier springs for around $45. This kit drops the fork from 110mm to 85mm and I think will get me a set-up thats not nosebleed high in the front. Hopefully the bike will be a little quicker and more agile in the corners without losing too much stability.Worst case I am back at 110mm and I have a short travel kit sitiing in a box, and am out $45.

I really love the feel of the Z1 even though it is a heavy sucker compared to some forks. Just as important its nice to deal with a manufacturer that has good technical support.... two thumbs up for the Marzochhi tech support guys!!

NedwannaB

Should have.....

Quote Originally Posted by N10S
    I really love the feel of the Z1 even though it is a heavy sucker compared to some forks. Just as important its nice to deal with a manufacturer that has good technical support.... two thumbs up for the Marzochhi tech support guys!!
    ......read your first post a little better, you already have a fork. D'oh! Yeh, I think his 80mm fork is an older coil/oil Marz Z somethin-or-the-other. He doesn't like the air forks, thus trying the Fox Vanilla.

I put an '01 80mm Z1 Bomber on my Bianchi CUSS to replace the rigid fork when I bought it and it worked fine. Then I got pulled into the upgradeitus syndrome w/ Ti frame, F80X's, xtr this-xtr that and it's been downhill ever since.....thinking about reverting back to simplicity.

Hope your rebuild kit gets things dialed in.

Shot Down in Flames...
    Hey N10S, sorry to be late to the party.

I have a PW Hare and the best set-up I have found is 3.5" with the Swinger 3-Way and a REBA set at 100mm. I originally had a 70mm fork then an 80mm then a 105mm and then the U-Turn REBA.

Not sure if you realize this, but Sherwood Gibson of Ventana designed the Wild Hare.

They are great frames and were ahead of their time.

If I can answer anything else, let me know.

D.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the info D-Rock. I knew there was some kind of tie-in with Ventana, but wasn't sure what that tie-in was! I have owned lots of bikes and this one is one of the best built I have seen. The beefy size of the pivots and swingarm remind me of a Racer X I used to own. Its pretty obvious that the bike is well thought out.

I currently have the bike set-up with a 3-way swinger and just finished installing a set of heavier 80 mm springs and top-out springs in the Z1 Bam it came with. I originally thought the Z1 was set-up as a 110mm travel, but the new springs were basically the same length and the bike still sits somewhat nose-high. It does feel a lot better and less "spongy" with the heavier fork springs though, and the 3-way seems to be well matched right now.

One question I do have though is the shock bolt setting. I originally thought that the upper bolt position was for the 3.5" travel and the lower the 4.5". After watching the link in action though, it almost seems like upper setting allows the link to travel further forward and may actually be the 4.5" setting. Can you set me straight on this?

Thanks

Jeff

Shot Down in Flames...
    The lower hole is the 3.5" setting and the upper is 4.5". I've run it in both, but I think the bike handles best in 3.5".

With the long wheel base, it works best if you throw it into corners aggressively. It still is the best climbing F/S bike I have ever ridden.

D.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock
    The lower hole is the 3.5" setting and the upper is 4.5". I've run it in both, but I think the bike handles best in 3.5".

With the long wheel base, it works best if you throw it into corners aggressively. It still is the best climbing F/S bike I have ever ridden.

D.
    Thanks for the confirmation on the rear shock settings D-Rock! I am going to make the change-over to the 3.5" setting tomorrow and can't wait to get a chance to get the bike out and get some miles on it! I had a set of crossmax rims with tubeless tires I considered putting on the bike, but for some reason they look and feel a bit spindly on the wild hare. I am typically a finesse rider so I will keep your words on using a more agressive approach with riding style in the corners. One of these days I will have to get some pics of the bike.

JR

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've heard there is/was a TI upgrade package that was available for the PW/WH. Does anyone know about this? Do you know how much weight it saves if installed?
    I'm not that familiar with it but I've always been interested in the Psycle Werks bikes. Have heard good things about them.

I have a Tomac 98 special now and It's ok. Since I have a limited budget right now I thought i may be able to find a PW Wild Hare and give it a go. Bikes look sweet!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    My W/H originally came with the ti set-up. However, I later switched to the steel bolts because they were more wear resistant. Interestingly, the plastic bushings wore groves in the bolts, creating slop. I switched to the steel, which was better, but the problem persisted. The same wear from the bushings happened on the frame as well (at the bottom bracket pivot). However, I understand the last models came with steel rings embedded into the aluminum frame for help.

They always told me to use some kind of thick boat grease on the bolts, which helps resist wear on the bolts themselves (they even moved to a steel bottom bracket pivot bolt from an aluminum later to ease the wear problem). The frame wear at the bottom bracket must be watched. Don't tighten the bottom bracket pin too much, just enough to get rid of any slop then lock it down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the great info guys, I am looking forward to getting some miles on the bike and trying out the new shock, HD springs, and short travel rear shock setting!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Is it still possible to get bushings for the wild hare?

I have a wild hare that a friend of mine asked me to sell for him. I have it sold, planned to close the deal today but my son came in from a ride Thursday with a broken frame. It's going to be a while before I get the warranty replacement so I'm thinking I should but the wild hare for him. My concern is whether or not I'll be able to maintain it...

So can you still get busshings for it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I talked with the folks at Rainbow Cycles, located in southern California just recently (within the past month or so) and they still stock all of the suspension linkage bushings, and they also have the replaceable rear derailluer hanger. Those are the main items and the bushing's are not a custom bushing from what I understand, but have a specific catalogue number from a bushing /bearing maker.

Let me know if you are interested...

Jeff

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hey N10S...

I'm looking for you...

I'd like to buy your bike.

Check your add, email, and PMs

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Rideandshoot

Just sent you a PM with some contact info. I think my spam filter must be working OT or something, so my apologies.

Jeff

May 2007
    What is the website for Rainbow or where in So. Cal are they located. I have a 1998 Wild Hare and want to get a spare set of bushings.

Also does anyone know if I can mount new style disks on my bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Here ya go.

http://www.teamrain.com/ They are in Laguna Beach CA

Members who have read this thread: 0