Preston FR, Front Derailer Setup Issues- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Preston FR, Front Derailer Setup Issues

Hi there, I normally have a chain guide on my Preston but decided to switch to a front derailer setup. I am using the suggested 68x113 BB with a SRam X-Gen front deraileur and I can't seem to get the derailer lower enough. The Linkage seems to always want to hit the swing arm of the deraileur.

I am only running two rings with a bash guard and trying to remove the chain from dragging on the bottom of the derailer. Currently I have to be shifted up nearly half way thru the rear cassette to raise the chain enough to stop dragging. Is it normaly/fine to allow the chain to drag across the bottom of the deraileur swing arm?

Also when I have the cable hooked up to the X-Gen there is some rubbing between it and the suspension linkage. I don't want the cable to saw thru my linkage or the linkage to snap my cable. Does the Shimano top pull bottom swing derailers have a better attachment?

I was thinking I may need to get a 68 x 118 BB to push out my granny gear so I can lower the front derailer and maybe need a new front deraileur as well.

From the Transition website it suggests a 68x113 BB if not using a bash guard and 118 if you are, also they suggest Front Derailleur: 34.9 clamp, top pull top swing, Shimano FD-M751 or FD-M571 or FD-M511. But these appear to be top pull bottom swing. I can't find any such thing as a top pull top swing?

Any help is welcome, Thanks

Oct 2005
    You'd probably get better response on the correct forum for Transition stuff. I've got a Preston but only run a single ring up front so I can't help you. The easiest thing would be to call up Transition and find out what works best.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Figured it out.. was being stupidand aligning the derailer up with the bash guard.. which is not near as big as my 44tooth, so put the big chain ring on to setup the height, also did not account for the suspension action, which prevents the chain from dragging.

Can't get the X-Gen to work though, so I ordered in a Hone front derailer.

Members who have read this thread: 0