Post your Hammerhead / Switchback - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Kona Satori

Short-Change-Hero
    Been off the forums for a few months due to life in general only to see this. Man now I am going to have to go home tomorrow and hug my Thumper. Still the absolute best bike I have ridden to date. So bummed Scott had to close up shop but understand the need.

As for the question about someone doing the 27.5/+ wheels on the 29er thumper/unveil9 I believe Fastbanana has the most I for but like I said it has been a while. I was thinking of doing 25mm+ internal rims with the Trailblazers but would have to build wheels for it to test. At this point I am more interested in dropping that money on a Manitou Magnum or Minute Pro.

The Fastest of Bananas
    I didnt try the plus, but 2.8s would fit for sure. I would recommend at least 30mm rims. 40 to 45 would be sweet.

I have the i45s on my Fuse, they are sweet with 3.0s

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    The Unveil9 and Thumper have 75mm wide chainstays, allowing you to run pretty much every 2.8 available. The biggest 2.8 is the Vee Tire Trax Fatty, and even on 35mm rims it should fit the rear of the Thumperveil9. On 35mm internal width rims it'll be around 71.5mm knob-to-knob. That'll be really close to the chainstays and mud or a slightly out of true wheel would probably create rub.

The VTF 2.8 is the largest of "claimed" 2.8 tires, and no other 2.8 tire really comes close to its size.

I'm confident that most 3.0 tires will fit (except the VTF 3.0) but not enough so that I'd suggest anyone buying them with the intentions of putting them in the rear of Thumperveil.

Most 2.8 tires will be safe, and that's the route I'll be going on my wife's bike. 2.8 rear, 3.25 front.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

mtbr member
    Finally getting my carbon hoops! Different set than I planned for, but still got a good deal. And they have very positive feedback.

Nextie Asymmetric 38mm rims
    BHS hubs

So we will see next week

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
    "I cycle so I don't choke People"
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB
    http://www.teamrwb.org

Short-Change-Hero
    You get those carbon hoops laced up yet?!

Anyone under 5'6" on the Thumperveil?

Trying to get an idea of setup for my wife. She's 5'6" with shoes. I got her a size small frame based on what riders of her size liked in Camber/Stumpjumper. Likes wider bars, so I got her a 760mm bars and 60mm stem.

I hope I didn't make a mistake in getting her a too short bike. I kinda wish Scott had provided the reach/stack measurements on the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    You get those carbon hoops laced up yet?!
    Will have them mounted by Fri!
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

mtbr member
    Pheller,

Reach on the 16" Satori is 16", so the small Thumper is probably within 1/4". If it's too short, just bump the seat back a bit. A 20 mm spacer or rotating the bar a few degrees will move the reach 1/4". I'd be more worried about standover for someone 5'6" on a medium frame.

Hey, I didn't think to look at the numbers for the Satori. Derp!

Seems like people in her height range prefer the Small for its standover. Women typically have a shorter inseam, but similar reach and narrower shoulders to the same height man, so I think running rider bars should help her feel no so cramped. She rode a medium Ripley with 760 bars and a 50mm stem and the seat slammed forward and was just a tad stretched, but otherwise comfortable. The Medium Ripley also had a lower standover by an inch. It's reach is 390 or a little less than 16".

mtbr member
    Based on that info, the small Thumper will be more stretched out than the medium Ripley. You might have to cut the bars down to 740. The 760s are only better for the 5min. downhill and popping the front. I'd think for a female, the 2 hr climb and especially super slow tech. would be more comfy on narrower bars. To get the best of both worlds, I "choke up" on the climbs.

Short-Change-Hero
    If nothing else look at getting her a 40mm stem and moving the seat forward a bit. Or you could look at some bars that have a bit more dramatic sweep. I would adjust the seat position last as you want to be careful of that with relation to the pedal spindles and your knees.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I kinda covered it early on, but the Cove Hustler is based on the same Caribou Pro Bike design that Scott was getting as the Thumper/Unveil9.

It's essentially the same bike, but Cove has Caribou use different tubing profiles.
    Hey guys....jumping back on the forum for the 1st time in quite a while....great to see HH/SB still alive

The Cove Hustler frame is actually the exact same frame as the Unveil7....in fact I even reached out to Cove about splitting the production run to help us both meet the MOQs. Caribou was open to the idea and approved it....Cove didn't want to play along though.....I even offered to disable the ability of the Switchback website to sell to CAN...looks like maybe they should have.

Our landed cost on those frames was $950-$1,000 per frame depending on what shipping costs were at the time....if CRC is selling them for $910....I can guarantee you Cove lost their ass on those frames....or best case is they broke even if CRC bought the frames before they left Taiwan and had them shipped direct from Taiwan.

mtbr member

What didn't make it to market

Getting on here has me going down memory lane I don't think I ever posted any info about what we had in the works for a future Unveil7...

Here's a GEO drawing of what we were working on. 160mm travel 27.5 frame.....man it would have been a fun bike....all the #s are not final #s, but you get the idea

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-unveil7_update.jpg

mtbr member
    You could always get back in it
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

In Cove's defense, the tubing profiles (at least the downtube) are different as is the link. The Cove Hustler 650b available off the Cove Website looks to have a more rounded, straight downtube, where as my Unveil7 has a more curvy shape with a flattened down tube.

But other than that, yea, identical.

versus mine:

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-p4pb11079335.jpg

nvm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamRWB View Post
    You could always get back in it
    HA! Anything is possible

mtbr member
    @PHeller
    Trust me they are the exact same frames The differences come when comparing the different size frames...that Green one is a Small or Med....they get more curvy in the Lrg and XL sizes
    Last edited by Switchback Bikes; 04-13-2016 at 04:57 PM. Reason: forgot to Reply To Quote

mtbr member
    The Unveil9 and Thumper have 75mm wide chainstays, allowing you to run pretty much every 2.8 available. The biggest 2.8 is the Vee Tire Trax Fatty, and even on 35mm rims it should fit the rear of the Thumperveil9. On 35mm internal width rims it'll be around 71.5mm knob-to-knob. That'll be really close to the chainstays and mud or a slightly out of true wheel would probably create rub.

The VTF 2.8 is the largest of "claimed" 2.8 tires, and no other 2.8 tire really comes close to its size.

I'm confident that most 3.0 tires will fit (except the VTF 3.0) but not enough so that I'd suggest anyone buying them with the intentions of putting them in the rear of Thumperveil.

Most 2.8 tires will be safe, and that's the route I'll be going on my wife's bike. 2.8 rear, 3.25 front.
    Did you get a 2.8 tire mounted up yet? Pics of the clearance please.

Short-Change-Hero
    So here is a dumb question for everyone. Pretty sure that my Revy is on its last leg as the negative chamber keeps losing pressure by a few psi a day. Filled up to 115psi Saturday evening AFTER my ride (after resetting properly) and it is down to 105psi now. Dont see any oil or anything anywhere and the positive chamber isnt going up in PSI so not sure what is happening.

Anyways, that means this year is going to be the year for a new fork it looks like. Everything that I am finding, that I like, is 51mm or so offset and I have confirmed with RS via the serial number that mine is 46mm. So if I move to 51mm is that going to SLOW steering down? I like it where it is right now with the 46mm but not sure if that means if I went to 51mm it would slow down or speed up.

So what offset is everyone using?

I'm kinda having the same issue with the cheap Fox 32 I found for my wife's Thumper. It goes from 130mm travel to no travel after 20 minutes of riding, she unweights it, and its back to 130mm travel again. Weird.

Maybe the air spring is easier to rebuild on the Revelation than on the Fox Talas III.

On offset, completely depends on your trails. Are they fast and open, with long downhills that require stability? Or short and punchy, with lots of tight turns? If you need nimbleness, stick with 46mm, if you want more stability go 51mm.

Short-Change-Hero
    See that is the problem they are mixture of both. I need to get you and your wife out here to Lake Tahoe to ride PHeller so you can see what I mean... I got a video I can see if I can upload, or look on my strava (think you added me) and you will see what my rides look like. Thinking that 46mm is what I need to stick with though from what you are saying.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have a 46mm offset pike 140mm on my Thumper. Have no problems with stability.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'm running a fox talas 34, I believe the 29er version of the 34 is only available in 51mm off set. The bike rides well on the flat and on gnarly downhills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    On One Scandal v2 1x10
    HammerHead 130X

mtbr member
    Pheller, What you described as the different ride qualities of 46 and 51mm offset forks is contrary to physics. The 51mm offset reduces trail, so the bike will be easier to turn and make minor steering adjustments with less slow speed wheel flop at the expense of straight line stability. So, go with 51 if you want a slightly quicker steering feel and go with 46 if you like how 29ers plow over the trail with stability as if the head angles are slacker than the numbers suggest. There are some good references to the effects of trail in motorcycle design literature.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by carpio77b View Post
    Pheller, What you described as the different ride qualities of 46 and 51mm offset forks is contrary to physics. The 51mm offset reduces trail, so the bike will be easier to turn and make minor steering adjustments with less slow speed wheel flop at the expense of straight line stability. So, go with 51 if you want a slightly quicker steering feel and go with 46 if you like how 29ers plow over the trail with stability as if the head angles are slacker than the numbers suggest. There are some good references to the effects of trail in motorcycle design literature.
    You're right. That's how I remember it, and now I remember my reasoning when I was buying my fork.
    But to me the difference between offsets was never really great, it takes half an hour to get used to the new offset and then you don't notice it.

mtbr member
    Hey guys...I found the info on 27.5 x 2.8 rear wheel/tire in the Thumper/Unveil9 frame...just posted the info in @gregnash's thread in the 29er forum

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/ne...l#post12623212

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Finally got my Thumper built up! So stoked about it. Took it to a local bike park for it's initial shake down ride. Why didn't I get an all mountain/trail bike years ago?? I've been missing out. If you can't tell, I'm obsessed with gold bling.

Build:
    Hammerhead Thumper 130x size small frame
    Fox 34 140mm ctd
    Truvativ aka 70mm stem
    Race Face Atlas Kash Money 785mm handlebar
    Magura MT6 brakes
    Race Face Ride 31.6 seatpost
    Race Face Narrow Wide 30t chain ring on Race Face Ride crank arms
    Sram X9 10sp shifter
    Sram pg-1030 11-36 cassette with OneUp 42t giant cog added
    Sram X7 10sp rear derailleur non-clutch version
    KMC 10sl gold chain
    Sun Ringle Charger Pro 29er wheelset setup tubeless
    Continental Trail King 29 x 2.4 tires

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-img_20160507_110657.jpg

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-img_20160507_110621.jpg

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-img_20160507_110633.jpg
    Last edited by iLike29er; 05-10-2016 at 09:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Right on!
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Nice. The gold/red bits are tasteful. I don't usually like white rims but they match the logos and so it's all good.

Short-Change-Hero
    Nice!! Looks a bit like my Blackheart!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    Hey Scott.... do you still have the GEO chart for the Thumperveil9? I have found the one for the Unveil7 but can't seem to find the 9 and wondering about some of the geo specs. Hoping to just throw into my archives for the day when I inevitably break her.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hey Scott.... do you still have the GEO chart for the Thumperveil9? I have found the one for the Unveil7 but can't seem to find the 9 and wondering about some of the geo specs. Hoping to just throw into my archives for the day when I inevitably break her.
    If Scott doesen't reply I have the 10 page pdf with CAD-drawings for the different sizes and the exploded view of frame assembly.

PDF at Google Drive

Geo (metric) from old site is here (based on 140 mm Pike if I recall correctly):
    Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-offigiell-thumper-geomettri.jpg

/Johan

Short-Change-Hero
    Johan...that is BEAUTIFUL man!!! Thanks, copied the link over to my Google Drive too. Thanks for that.

And I am sure that the fork travel of reference was 140mm but not sure on model. I know that affects the axle to crown, but also one should notice that the trail on the bike is set to 46mm, which means 46mm offset is optimal for the frame. Going with something like a 48mm or 51mm should only make it feel more planted by slowing the steering a bit, correct?

mtbr member

Next week she'll be riding in Germany!!
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Short-Change-Hero
    Nice! ... Good luck and god speed on the transfer!

mtbr member
    Nice! ... Good luck and god speed on the transfer!
    Thanks man! Leaving tonight!
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

mtbr member
    I love my Thumper but I'm thinking about selling one of my two large thumpers frames as I don't really need two bikes that are built up the same. Any idea what the asking price should be for one of these frames? One of the frames has brand new chainstays and is in great condition and the other could probably be described as good condition. Thoughts?

$300-350 shipped is a good price with CTD shock, seat collar, axle and spare hanger.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I sold the shock alone for 180 not long ago, axle is another easy 20 bucks, so you are saying frame is only $50-100 plus shipping? Also I agree it's not gonna be easy to sell for a reasonable amount.

$150 for frame without axle and shock sounds reasonable.

It's the catch-22 of an unheard-of brand: buy cheap, sell cheaper. You're still losing less money than if you had spend $2000 on a name brand frame and tried to sell it today. Youd probably lose $1000 or more on that deal.

Losing a few hundred selling a Thumper isn't bad.

I'll be happy if I can get $500 for my Unveil7 with Monarch Plus Debonair. Heck, I'd be happy for $200 for that frame without the shock.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys,
    I'm out of town right now but when I get back I'll list one of the frames in the for sale section. Maybe list it for $450 shipped and see how it goes.

Short-Change-Hero
    Pheller what size frame on the Unveil7?

mtbr member
    May 2016

Cool-blue Rhythm

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-diamondback-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Sounds like the Thumper is at least 90% the performance of the best frames out there and worth at most 20% based on the name painted on it. I'm gonna ride mine til it dies or give it away for free to someone that deserves it just for the principle of the matter. Pinkbike should do a timed shootout with a pro riding the Thumper vs. Hightower or Remedy. But, that wouldn't be good for business.

mtbr member
    I'm dying here. Mine should be here next week and then Germany better watch out!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Quote Originally Posted by carpio77b View Post
    Sounds like the Thumper is at least 90% the performance of the best frames out there and worth at most 20% based on the name painted on it. I'm gonna ride mine til it dies or give it away for free to someone that deserves it just for the principle of the matter.
    Yep. We who buy this type of product should understand that we're more worried about performance than the label, but unfortunately the vast majority of consumers believe a label is indicative of performance.

I saw the Unveil7 (and my wife's Thumper) as cheap frames that ride well that I can modern parts from. Tapered forks and dropper posts, thru axles and 29" wheels are worth while upgrades that couldn't be done on cheaper bikes, and these frames seemed like the easiest way of having an upgrade path without spending $1500 all at once.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah I have been looking at 27.5 and 29er frames for my brother to see about building something up for him as his Titus Racer X has finally blown a bearing in the yolk. But damn, even cheaper frames like Cove, Nukeproof, Vitus, etc. that are not well known around the US are seriously expensive. I think the cheapest I found was a 2014 Nukeproof Mega 275 for $900 on CRC.

Makes me wish I had been paying more attention to when things were happening for Scott so I could have grabbed a Medium for my bro of the 7 and possibly a large for myself to build up later.

On One Codiene is a pretty rad frame for a good deal.

Waiting around to see if they do the Hadza 27.5+.

Short-Change-Hero
    On One Codiene is a pretty rad frame for a good deal.

Waiting around to see if they do the Hadza 27.5+.
    Yeah that was the other frame that I was considering but their shipping has become astronomical. Even though they have a US store it auto redirects to their UK store so you have to pay for shipping from the UK and it seems like a lot of the guys that have ordered larger things are getting hit with customs charges a couple weeks after receiving their products.

mtbr member
    For a complete, sales at Pricepoint for Breezer, Transition, and BH bikes pop up daily. Geo. is a bit on the short side for these frames from a few years back, but you can always size up as I did on the Thumper if you have regular to long legs.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah really depends on the geo of the bike. Looking at them the Transition is probably the closest in geo.

mtbr member
    Got my bike finally. Needs a good tune up and time to ride Germany. WHEN THE DANG RAIN STOPS!

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok so who here has replaced all the suspension bearings? I had a nasty crunch when pedaling the other day on the way home from my ride. Been real dusty lately so I fully washed bike today and plan to ride tomorrow. Hopefully it was just some dirt around crank but if not I will be looking to clean and/or replace bearings. Bike hasn't been fully torn down since I built so it is probably about time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I've changed the main pivot bearings twice (the other bearings have been fine so far). The first ones were shot from new and second pair lasted under a year before the bearings rusted.

To remove them, you just have to carefully and slowly drift them out with something.

In the main pivot bolt there is a tiny set screw to adjust the preload. And I think some loctite is a good idea for the mainpivot bolt/screw.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Replaced the main ones several times and they are due again, and the rest one time. Apart from main pivot bearings, the only one that needed change were chain stay ones.
    Design of the main pivot is a real weakness of the bike. It's just not strong enough.

Short-Change-Hero
    What do you guys replace the main pivot bearings with? Do you go RWC or not quite that fancy?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I used RWC, their lifespan was the same as original. So ether I got a crappy pair or the original ones are really good.

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok well was going to say that I gave my bike a nice bath and the creak/crunch completely went away. Found some grass and weeds stuck in the crank arms so may have been a combination of things but everything seems to be good now. I will plan to do a full teardown and rebuild this winter (hoping that we have another winter like last year). Figure after, what will be 3yrs of hard riding by that point, it will probably be time to go over everything, replace a few items and get ready for the next season.

mtbr member
    Just got mine all tuned up for the season. Time to find some parks in Germany and give her a workout.

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Short-Change-Hero
    Well looks like I may be down for a while. Very unspectacular crash yesterday has resulted in ER visit today. Check the Wherewolf Auburn ride thread in NorCal forums for more details.

mtbr member
    WHAT???

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

mtbr member
    Man I hope the leg is ok. Glad the ankle is ok.

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Short-Change-Hero
    Man I hope the leg is ok. Glad the ankle is ok.

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Well not so much.. season is done for me. Fibulae is broken in two places, spiral fracture, and ankle is done for. Actually having surgery tomorrow in the AM to repair ankle via plate and screws (if real bad) or "button" and titanium line to cinch bones together. Basically blew the ankle completely out so have to get the bones into proper position to help ligaments heal. At this point doc is saying that it will be 3 months at least before I can drive with at least 6-8wks post-op for zero weight bearing.

Will update again sometime next week when I am coherent. I will try to remember to update here but also check my build thread in the 29er forum.

mtbr member
    Damn man!! I have been in your shoes so I know how your feeling. I trashed my ankle in 06 and needless to say it's never been right. But eventually I could ride and run again.

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Short-Change-Hero
    Well surgery went well and they ended up doing the "buttons and titanium line" which is less invasive than the plate/screws. So hopefully that means it will heal quicker. On top of that, no second surgery to remove the plate/screws and I now am in a boot instead of a splint that went all the way up past my knee.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Glad all went well, here's to a speedy recovery.
    I'm currently out of action due to a crash on the hammerhead, resulting in a broken collarbone. I've got a CT scan at the weekend and find out the results next week.

On One Scandal v2 1x10
    HammerHead 130X

mtbr member
    Man these bikes are a danger to our health lol. I broke 4 ribs last summer on it.

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Take it steady in Germany.
    I feel I've been cheating injury for years, I guess my luck/skill finally ran out

On One Scandal v2 1x10
    HammerHead 130X

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Truth is these new school 29er trial bikes are so fast!!

On One Scandal v2 1x10
    HammerHead 130X

mtbr member
    Ha this is true

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Short-Change-Hero
    Very true. Bike has always pushed me to go faster and faster. I am with MontesaMan that my luck finally ran out.

mtbr member
    Yeah that's what happened to me when I trashed my ribs. Did it on a trail I've done hundreds of times and let the excitement of the new bike write a check my butt couldn't cash.

But in all seriousness I hope you heal and recover quickly. Nothing more frustrating than missing a whole season, but it happens and just gotta stay positive.

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks dude. Yeah this was a trail I actually had never been on but just the fun/competition of chasing the leaders led to me taking a corner way too fast.

mtbr member
    Yeah it's scary how fast this bike likes to go

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

The Fastest of Bananas
    Glad youre loving it!

Just cuz I know yall were talking about different suspension bits, I got a DVO Diamond on my Stumpjumper.

So I have a 36 RC2, Pike RCT3, and DVO Diamond right now on my bikes. Let me just say, the DVO wins. Its amazingly plush, and seems to erase the trail, but at the same time, its supportive, and I can push it into corners and boost it really good.

The 36 comes alive at high speeds, and it a tad stiffer, but overall no match for the DVO.

I9 hubs, Easton ARC 30s, the DVO, makes the bike feel like it accelerates out of control going downhill. Now I just need some faster rolling tires. The WTB Vigilantes seem really rumbly.

Suggestions?

mtbr member
    29 or 27.5

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

mtbr member
    So far for me these Minions are legit

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

mtbr member
    But since I'm in Europe gonna explore some offerings here

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

The Fastest of Bananas

The fork is a 29er though. I wanted the extra 10mm A2C and the extra offset makes it take switchbacks better. (and I can put a 29er wheel on it for fun!)

I have Minions on the Enduro. I'm considering trying the Slaughter/Butcher combo. My gf has the Minion SS/Butcher and seems to like it.

I tried the Diamond at the Sedona Bike Festival and felt it was lacking. Could have been setup. Alternatively all the Pikes I rode at the event felt great.

I miss the lower offset on my 34 27.5+, and I will likely go back to a Lyrik 29 in 46mm offset.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Came back from Mammoth last week. Had a great several days riding the mountain, again bike was perfect on everything except the Red triangle (expert) trails. On other hand several weeks ago I was at Snow Summit and the bike was struggling on Westridge and Party wave trails. Frame was flexing too much. I guess I'm finally finding the limits of the bike.

mtbr member
    Good thing for me my level of riding will never test the limits of this frame. I just enjoy the fact that my style of riding now is made even better by this bike.

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

The Fastest of Bananas
    I tried the Diamond at the Sedona Bike Festival and felt it was lacking. Could have been setup. Alternatively all the Pikes I rode at the event felt great.

I miss the lower offset on my 34 27.5+, and I will likely go back to a Lyrik 29 in 46mm offset.
    The Diamond takes several rides at least to get ride. I'm running 25psi higher than recommended, with maxed out OTT per DVO recommendation for 150 psi. Once dialed, its quite good.

The charger damper, for me, is very good, but with ease of setup, you lose some adjustability. The DVO is noticeable smoother, and more composed in the mid-stroke. On a bike I ride less, I would choose a Pike for ease of setup and long service intervals. For example, my Fuse mid-fat, will get a Pike.

I'm excited to try the Topaz.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Glad youre loving it!

Just cuz I know yall were talking about different suspension bits, I got a DVO Diamond on my Stumpjumper.

So I have a 36 RC2, Pike RCT3, and DVO Diamond right now on my bikes. Let me just say, the DVO wins. Its amazingly plush, and seems to erase the trail, but at the same time, its supportive, and I can push it into corners and boost it really good.

The 36 comes alive at high speeds, and it a tad stiffer, but overall no match for the DVO.

I9 hubs, Easton ARC 30s, the DVO, makes the bike feel like it accelerates out of control going downhill. Now I just need some faster rolling tires. The WTB Vigilantes seem really rumbly.

Suggestions?
    Try the Vittoria Morsa and Goma. Goma has been spectacular for me over the years.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi all, my friend has managed to strip the hex head of the bolt which he believes is item 4 on the expanded view. Does anybody know where he can get a replacement bolt from it is the bolt which connects the rocker link to the top tube of the frame. So far the only place he can see something similar is within a bush kit for a Kona Satori but that retails for $150 which is a little steep seeing as he only needs the bolt.

Any help is much appreciated.

M8 x 14mm but looks like some sort of weird stepped button head bolt.

Fastenal might be able to help. You could order a bunch and I'm sure people would buy them from you as they would fit the Satori, Cove, Unveil7 and Thumper.

Short-Change-Hero
    M8 x 14mm but looks like some sort of weird stepped button head bolt.

Fastenal might be able to help. You could order a bunch and I'm sure people would buy them from you as they would fit the Satori, Cove, Unveil7 and Thumper.
    Yeah do some searching on the net and I bet you will come up with what it is. If you do end up having to by in bulk post up in here and like PHeller said, some of us will grab one or two from you just for posterity.

Perhaps contact Caribou Pro Bike? Tell them you purchased a Ibex 29 through Scott and you need the Link-to-Toptube bolt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Does anyone have torque specs for the pivots? Im probably going to replace the bearings on my thumper soon.

Short-Change-Hero
    Look back in the thread and see if maybe one of the diagrams has the torque specs. Other option would be to see if you can contact Scott directly on here as he may have that hidden somewhere.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Is the carbon fiber frame of the hammerhead a fm036 frame?

Short-Change-Hero
    Don't believe so. Frame is constructed by Caribou Bike which is a Taiwanese company and only think they ever created a 27.5 carbon frame for Scott. Compare geometries and they may be similar.

Short-Change-Hero
    Well been a while since I have been on the forums. Finally got cleared week before last to start riding and get back to normal life. Of course this was the day before the wife and I headed to NYC for a week long business trip. Then it ended up that while we were gone we got the first major storm of the year dumping a few inches of snow. When we got back we had three days before Thanksgiving which ended up being the first time on ANY bike that was not on a trainer. 30 minute ride around the neighborhood was nice but ankle and leg definitely need work. To add insult to injury we got the second major storm of the year, snow wise, on this last Saturday and the trails are now done for locally. So looks like I will be road riding for a while! So miss the Thumper!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Hey guys newbie here, Just wanted to say Hi, bought a Thumper frame a few weeks ago and it's at the mechanic now. Pics to come soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Has this thread totally died? Any updates on your bikes?

I've had mine now since early 2014, and I was one of the few to get a 275 model.

So far, it's been nearly flawless, but I have destroyed a few bearing. I think I've gotta do the lower main bearings and I might try just greasing them up before completely replacing them.

These days I find myself wanting more tire clearance, and I've tried running a Specialized Slaughter GRID 2.6, which has been great aside from the occasional buzz of the chainstay. Stiffer wheels and a better dish would help.

If I had one wish it would be that Caribou Pro Bike would do a IBEX PLUS that had the same frame except for a wider chainstay yoke that allowed for 29x2.5 or 275x3.0.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Thanks Pheller, I have the 29er model but initially will run 27.5 wheels. I already have a 29 specialized hardtail. I have all the parts to build except for a free hub that I had to order from Specialized and it is taking a bit longer than I thought for the part to come in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Here it is. Need to adjust seat post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-img_5642.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice! Holy seatpost!

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nedmoore View Post
    Here it is. Need to adjust seat post.

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Heyo Quick Update:

I've got a 650b Unveil 7 prototype. I've long loved high volume tire, and have been gradually trying larger tires to see what fits in the back of the bike.

So far I've tried (on 25.5 inner width Flow EX 650b):

Geax Goma 275x2.4 - Fits fine, no rub.
    WTB Breakout 275x2.5 - Rubs casing occasionally if wheel flexes or isn't true.
    WTB Trailblazer 275x2.8 - Rubs casing if lower pressure or wheel flexes.
    Specialized Slaughter 275x2.6 - Rubs side knobs if wheel flexes or isn't true.

Summary - this isn't really a plus bike. It'll fit aggressive 2.4 tires, and that's about it.

Bonus round:

My Unveil 7 also fits a 29er setup:

I can fit:

29x2.20 Specialized Ground Control (plenty of room all around)
    29x2.4 Continental Trail King (although there isn't much room for mud or wheel deflection)

Summary - the chainstays are much longer than they need to be.

I'm going to experiment with some offset bushings and lowering my fork to 140mm in an attempt to drop the BB as much as possible with 29x2.3 tires. If after doing that the BB is still too high, I may just run some lightweight 2.4 tires until I upgrade the frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Anybody interested in XL thumper frame with monarch plus shock?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    How much?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    $350

I was thinking of selling my Unveil 7 Large with Monarch Plus Debonair for a similar price or a little more. I think thats a good price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Any pics?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Sure. I'll post some tomorrow. I just need to take the rest of the parts off the frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Frame is in overall good condition, shock is in great condition, just had a full rebuild. Comes with a headset and RWC needle bearings for lower shock mount.

Short-Change-Hero
    I have debated about trying to find a Unveil 7 to build up as it seems most everyone I know now runs 27.5 which can make swapping parts hard. There also seems to be a plethora of 27.5 parts now days as most manufacturers are focusing on that and Plus. Man if I had a wad of cash.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I hear ya'. I had never ridden 27.5 until I built the thumper. I am now running 27.5 plus and love it. I am in the process of building some 29" wheels but not in a hurry since I am so happy with the 27.5 plus.

Short-Change-Hero
    I hear ya'. I had never ridden 27.5 until I built the thumper. I am now running 27.5 plus and love it. I am in the process of building some 29" wheels but not in a hurry since I am so happy with the 27.5 plus.
    Nice... I was thinking of attempting this and going with some decently sized 27.5+ tires (something that will easily fit). But still working around to that as money priorities elsewhere have taken over. Eventually one day I will give it a shot.

Lars the Swede
    Mar 2012
    Hi' there El_Zilcho! Any guess what it would cost to ship your frame OS to Europe/Sweden? My Unveil9 size L is a taught to small for aggro-style speeding :/ And I'm therefor a little interrested...
    Last edited by larsa75; 04-02-2017 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Misstype

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I can check. I'm afraid it might be too expensive, but who knows.

Short-Change-Hero
    Probably wont be cheaper (overall cost) than getting an On-One Codeine 27.5 right now. The Seafoam frames are on sale for $517 (plus VAT which was $70 to the US).

Short-Change-Hero
    Man just went back through this thread (looking for derailleur hanger info, found on Pg. 11) an wow has it been a trip down memory lane. Bike is going to be all spiffy and new this year after not being ridden in 9 months due to leg/ankle.

First ride happened last week and was a very gingerly ride just feeling things out. Going to be build a new rear wheel for ISHTs and giggles to match the new front that went on the new fork (WTB Asym i29 with SR Suntour Auron). She even go new flat pedals this year so I can learn how to jump properly (apparently I REALLY suck at bunny hops).

Best thing is she will be going back to Steamboat Springs in July for a week with me! Going to be riding the normal mountains, may even do a park day but thinking I may try to get the BILs together and do the Epic again.

Lars the Swede
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Zilcho View Post
    I can check. I'm afraid it might be too expensive, but who knows.
    Yes please do so

Probably wont be cheaper (overall cost) than getting an On-One Codeine 27.5 right now. The Seafoam frames are on sale for $517 (plus VAT which was $70 to the US).
    Thx but no, hate On-One as a company they have fooled me twice by canceling shippment/purcases that I have ordered...
    BTW, Codeine have such a short reach, would need to go up to XL (that don't exist) to eaven be equal with my Large Unveil9 that I have now.

mtbr member
    Man just went back through this thread (looking for derailleur hanger info, found on Pg. 11) an wow has it been a trip down memory lane. Bike is going to be all spiffy and new this year after not being ridden in 9 months due to leg/ankle.

First ride happened last week and was a very gingerly ride just feeling things out. Going to be build a new rear wheel for ISHTs and giggles to match the new front that went on the new fork (WTB Asym i29 with SR Suntour Auron). She even go new flat pedals this year so I can learn how to jump properly (apparently I REALLY suck at bunny hops).

Best thing is she will be going back to Steamboat Springs in July for a week with me! Going to be riding the normal mountains, may even do a park day but thinking I may try to get the BILs together and do the Epic again.
    How do you like the I29s?

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Short-Change-Hero

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Front has been awesome so far and it makes the 2.4 Goma look HUGE. Got the second in the mail for the rear wheel build so it will be a couple weeks before I am on it. Build seems like it will be super easy and strong but with the leg last year I didnt get more than a handful of rides on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    I had i29s on my thumper for a while. Really like them . Compared to old flows (really old ones, not ex) had a lot less flex and could get away with slightly less pressure in tires and less roll during hard cornering. Also tires sounded really different with this wheels. Had Minions DHF 2.4 and DHR 2 2.3.

Short-Change-Hero
    Have to say that I am a little disappointed in the size of the 2.35" Mezcal III. Figured that with the Goma being pretty true to size regardless of the rim the Mezcal would be the same, but not so much. Mounted on current rim (old Halo Vapour, 19mm internal) I am barely at 2.2" at its widest (at about 24psi). Once I get the new rear laced up and everything I will see if it stretchs out. Fun thing about the TNT is that I was able to mount up on the i29 without sealant, just air without issue and it held for 2 days and then third with a 10mile ride without losing any air!!

Short-Change-Hero
    Just randomly saw Scott post on the Switchback Facebook page today. Looks like he may be taking another go at Switchback!?!!!

mtbr member
    HELL YES!!!

Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Short-Change-Hero
    Talked with him briefly, said it COULD be a possibility. Would be nice to see it happen, my suggestion to him was 29/27.5+ compatible boost bike as an "all arounder" type trail bike.

He also said that his original prototype of the Thumper was recently stolen! Sucks bigtime!

mtbr member
    Yes, clearance for bigger tires, internally routed cables/dropper

I guess boost since it has been forced on us.

As long as it rides and handles like the current iteration I'll be stoked.

That sux it was stolen, I'll donate mine for prototype to get a new one

Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Short-Change-Hero

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback

So this is interesting. I have run 2.4 Gomas since I purchased the bike. Apparently they get a bit larger on the wide i29 rims. I had it pumped up to 40psi and it would not fit in the yoke.
    Finally mounted the wheel at 6.5psi. The pics are at 31psi, no sealant, tubeless.

mtbr member
    Yikes

I Cycle so I don't choke people!

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Short-Change-Hero
    Weirdest part was that I have been running a non-TNT Goma 2.4 on there no problem for about 2wks while I was waiting on Vittoria sorting out my Mezcal 2.35" issue which got me the new 2.4" TNT Goma yesterday. Attempting to mount it with 40psi in the tire, which I normally do so that I ensure the bead is seated properly, sometimes leaving it like that overnight, resulted in me not being able to get the tire into the rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Man that means these Minions I have are well undersized for 2.35s

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah, I need to get the calipers out tonight and see how large they really are on the i29 rims. Seriously love Vittoria for this, really no questions asked other than an explanation as to what I was having a problem with and a quick pic of my calipers measuring the tread. Guy even went and measured a few on his own and was like "isht, these are running small." Now I wonder if they will go back to the mfg plant and see what they can do to make them true to size.

Need to throw a new photo of the bike up now that she is back and I am riding again. Quick question for everyone; I thought I remembered in the specs somewhere that it showed the chainguard mounting was ISCG-OLD but wasnt able to find it last night. Can anyone confirm?

Short-Change-Hero
    Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

And tire shots.
    First is carcass and second is knobs

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quick question for everyone; I thought I remembered in the specs somewhere that it showed the chainguard mounting was ISCG-OLD but wasnt able to find it last night. Can anyone confirm?
    I used to run a chain gide/bash guard and I think it was iscg old.
    I'll check at home, I still have it somewhere.
    Here is a link to easily figure out

http://service.bythehive.com/Guide/ISCG+explained/24

mtbr member
    Quick question for everyone; I thought I remembered in the specs somewhere that it showed the chainguard mounting was ISCG-OLD but wasnt able to find it last night. Can anyone confirm?
    I have one on mine, will have to take a look

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

mtbr member
    @gregnash

It is the old ISCG not ISCG-05

Thanks, Scott

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchback Bikes View Post
    @gregnash

It is the old ISCG not ISCG-05

Thanks, Scott
    Sweet! Thanks for responding Scott... I was 95% sure but for some reason I thought I remembered a discussion about it in one of the threads.

mtbr member
    Right on! So Scott you know you wanna make a comeback!!!

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    what would be a starting resale value of a 29er hammerhead carbon bike?
    it has reynolds carbon wheelset. 2 by 10 drivetrain?
    not sure what year but it was one of scott's carbon protypes
    thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moia View Post
    what would be a starting resale value of a 29er hammerhead carbon bike?
    it has reynolds carbon wheelset. 2 by 10 drivetrain?
    not sure what year but it was one of scott's carbon protypes
    thanks
    WHAT SIZE????

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    med

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by moia View Post
    med
    What is the full build out list? That will give a better idea but with it being a carbon frame, probably a little more than what we would get with the aluminum.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hi guys,

I have posted the following question in another thread of the forum, but it looks like this is the most active thread regarding the Hammerhead Thumper.

Any of you have experience a gap between the frame and the rear shock rocker ?

I have something like ~2mm gap on the left side. I have measure the width of the rocker and the width of the frame and the rocker is 2mm wider. Both bolts, right and left are tight enough but I still having that gap...

Any thoughts ??

Thanks in advance !

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-35n0aqf.jpg
    Name:  1143575d1498402864t-official-switchback-unveil-9-build-thread-i6dph5.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  11.6 KB

Short-Change-Hero
    @Baero Speed do you notice any play in the rocker? I want to say that FastBanana experienced the same thing when he was rebuilding his but did not notice anything specific or different about it.

As for me, I think I am going to finally have to invest in a BashGuide as with the new Sunrace cassette I have had a couple issues with backpedaling in the highest gears and the chain dropping... While this happens a lot, and is normal for most wide range cassettes from what I have read, It has caused a couple of chain drops at the chainring when I am in those quick transition sections and need to dump a bunch of gear. Plus last week I spent the entire week riding in Steamboat again and in two very chunky sections (last was on the Creekside trail aka Burgess Creek on Mt. Werner) I had my chainring due to massive hits. This only happened twice but that is enough for me to actually damage something so time to invest.

Bike did phenomenal out there as always, and absolutely LOVE riding there. This was the first time I actually got to ride Mt. Werner as last time we got caught in a massive rainstorm. When I get a chance I will upload some of the photos.

mtbr member
    Yup love mine

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Anybody know how to reach Scott?

Short-Change-Hero
    Anybody know how to reach Scott?
    Think I still have his email somewhere and he is somewhat active on the forums so you could try shooting him a PM. Let me know if you want his email.

I was impatient. Went a different route.

As a result, I've got spare parts. Multiple derailleur hangers, a spare link, used bearings, bushings, hardware. I can sell everything super cheap including a size large Unveil 7 Proto, but it's got a nasty weld on the seat tube and a crack in the chainstay.

I'm actually going to see if the link is interchangeable with the Unveil 9/Thumper, since my wife has got one of those.

mtbr member
    Name:  IMG_6877 small.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  94.8 KB

My Thumper at Coler MTB Park in Bentonville, AR on a recent outing. I rode my motorcycle and my buddy took his truck and our bikes. Awesome time.

Skin

mtbr member
    Going to have my Hammerhead up in the classifieds soon. Medium frame if anyone is interested.
    "Wherever you go, there you are."

2015 Trek Crossrip Elite
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2018 Salsa Redpoint

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    What psi are ya'll running? I have 27.5plus and weigh 260 pounds.

Short-Change-Hero
    What psi are ya'll running? I have 27.5plus and weigh 260 pounds.
    Think Scott (owner of HH/SBB) was pretty much the only one that consistently ran mid-fat tires on the frame. Probably going to be a bit of trial and error to see what tires work with your rims and wont rub the chainstays.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I think I dialed it in over the past few days. I was running 30 in both the front and rear. Dropped down to 20 and 16 but it was a bit too soft. Running 25 in both. Our trails here in Houston are really sandy right now after the flooding.

Short-Change-Hero
    We have some serious hero dirt/brown pow here right now after having rain storms the beginning of last week. Was still a bit muddy last Sunday when I rode but should be dry for the holiday weekend which will be nice. Randomly found out that I have been running my Auron at 130mm in the front instead of the 140mm like I had thought. Bumped her to full travel, 150mm, to give it a shot and see how things feel. I thought the travel adjustment for my old RS Revy was simply but this thing is dead stupid simple.

Short-Change-Hero
    So who here is still riding their Thumper/Unveil9?
    Still rocking mine, but new bike lust has hit me hard recently. Been looking at the Cotic FlareMAX and RocketMAX as I still love the feel of my steel hardtail (for those of us riding On-One Inbreds).

Lars the Swede
    Mar 2012
    Unfortually I知 not riding the Switchback anymore, as some jerk broke in to my storage and stole it from me :/
    Anyway, now I知 in the hunt for a new FS29er, also considering a steel frame. Probably a custom build from a guy in Peru (Similar to Starling Murmur)

Cheers // Lars

Mah reh no?

Also check out Guerrilla Gravity and Intense (who's offering great deals on carbon frames).

mtbr member
    I知 still riding my Thumper but I致e got my money almost saved for the 2018 Trek Slash 9.8 and I知 just waiting for them to be back in stock. Not sure what I値l do with the Thumper after that. Probably sell it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    So who here is still riding their Thumper/Unveil9?
    I do

Temporarily back on original Fox shock as my McLeod needs servicing (keeps losing negative spring pressure). Needs new bearings as I noticed linkage is not really smooth when I had shock off.

Also went from Revelation to X-Fusion Trace fork and liking the added stiffness. Thinking of getting an angleset (did that on my son's Transition Bandit and liked it a lot).

Really nice winter conditions lately with ground frozen hard but not too much snow.
    Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-20180204_151053.jpg

/Johan

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah I got a new bottom bracket coming as last night I was doing some basic maintenance (replacing chain and chainring) and when I pulled the crank and was wiping down the bottom bracket the drive side had a nice crunch to it when turning.

Got all the stuff to tear down the fork (SRSuntour Auron LORC) and shock (McLeod) but waiting for a definite few days where we will be storming so I can be in the situation where I am not wishing I was riding it and working on it instead.

@Larsa75.... check out the new Cotic's (flaremax/rocketmax) or look on the site Steel Is Real and you will see pics of the new Stanton Switch9er (will be coming with an Ohlins TTX 22m). Seriously jonesing after the RocketMax or FlareMAX, just can't decide on how much travel I really want in the rear (Thumper is right between the two).

mtbr member
    Still have mine, riding not so much. I got back into soccer when we got to Europe and the bikes Sat. Well thanks to a horrible case of plantar fasciitis, soccer is on the shelf and it's bike time. I plan to ride as much as I can this year. Now if the weather will just cooperate. I am looking at a dropper for the green machine. Until I ride religiously, new bikes as cool as they are, won't be in the cards. May look at just some upgrades to drive train etc...

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I still ride mine every once I a while.
    Riding a 140mm Sector fork for the moment but thinking of switching to a Yari 160mm. Would that be too much?

Probably, yes. The bike has only got 120mm-ish of rear travel.

mtbr member
    finally selling off my Thumper frame. It's been fun but I have moved on to Larger frame and longer travel.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2350922/
    "Wherever you go, there you are."

2015 Trek Crossrip Elite
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2018 Salsa Redpoint

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinM4n View Post
    finally selling off my Thumper frame. It's been fun but I have moved on to Larger frame and longer travel.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2350922/
    Dude where did you find the specs for the Thumper/Unveil9? I have the Unveil7's stuff but was looking for the 9 as I am comparing against other bikes currently, specifically the wheelbase.

mtbr member
    Well I wiped the dust off the Green Machine, and put a new dropper, and swapped from 2x10 to 1x11. Soccer consumed my life last bike season and she got neglected. So this year I'm going to ride the crap out of this, still awesome, bike.

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Short-Change-Hero
    Nice dude, awesome to see you getting her back out again. Had completely forgotten that you picked up FastBanana's old ride!

mtbr member
    Yeah been awhile. But 44k's later of up down tech single track she ran like a champ. I remember why I love this bike. I may need to fiddle with the deraileur adjustments to get better clearance on the 46. Maybe goatlink or OneUp cage. I did have to re learn how to climb though. That super shorty stem pulls up quick. And may need to rethink the Minions for now. Trails here are pretty hardpack with lot of leave and pine needle debris(which is clearing off now) So might need something faster rolling.

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah been awhile. But 44k's later of up down tech single track she ran like a champ. I remember why I love this bike. I may need to fiddle with the deraileur adjustments to get better clearance on the 46. Maybe goatlink or OneUp cage. I did have to re learn how to climb though. That super shorty stem pulls up quick. And may need to rethink the Minions for now. Trails here are pretty hardpack with lot of leave and pine needle debris(which is clearing off now) So might need something faster rolling.

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Wish you were closer to the UK so I could have you throw a leg over a Cotic and give me some feedback. Still absolutely love my Thumper and have planned that it will stay in the family, just move permanently to CO as my BILs ride.

mtbr member
    Hey guys and gals....just seeing these recent....and not so recent .....posts. It's awesome seeing the Thumper/Unveil still alive!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Zilcho View Post
    Anybody interested in XL thumper frame with monarch plus shock?
    Long shot, but do you still have it? My XL Thumper (the very 1st Thumper in existence) was stolen! I've been gutted about it....planned to keep it around as a souvenir. If you still have it, I'll PM you about buying it from you!

Thanks, Scott

mtbr member
    Wish you were closer to the UK so I could have you throw a leg over a Cotic and give me some feedback. Still absolutely love my Thumper and have planned that it will stay in the family, just move permanently to CO as my BILs ride.
    I actually have some friends there, PM me

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

mtbr member
    Love this bike, may not be the latest and greatest, but she rides so well

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Short-Change-Hero
    Love this bike, may not be the latest and greatest, but she rides so well

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Was thinking the same thing yesterday looking at mine on the bike rack as we were headed home from Chico Ca. Rode Bidwell Park yesterday and she did not disappoint, as always. Ate up everything I threw at her and kept on asking for more.

As for the lost suspension bolt in the 29er forum, I was able to find my schematic for the Thumper and found that the bolt is actually an M8x1.25 and 22m long. However, the length is an odd duck apparently as you can only find either 20mm or 25mm, I did find the actual head head, flat top bolts on Ebay and ordered a bunch of 25mm that I will cut down to size. Currently running a philips head version and it held for the entire ride, though it started backing out once I was really activating the suspension in the chunky sections, 1/4 turn and she was tight again (think my blue loc-tite is old and nasty).

Short-Change-Hero
    Well the time has come.. Couple weeks ago I placed my order for a 2019 Guerrilla Gravity The Smash and should hopefully have it in a few more weeks.

With that said, the Thumper will be going to my BIL in Colorado where she has seen multiple years of riding previously since I purchased her. She's been a great bike but going to good hands and really the only reason I am upgrading is simply because this year is my 40th and I wanted something big. Not sure how many of you actually still have them or post on MTBR but this was a fun community while it lasted.

mtbr member
    Well the time has come.. Couple weeks ago I placed my order for a 2019 Guerrilla Gravity The Smash and should hopefully have it in a few more weeks.

With that said, the Thumper will be going to my BIL in Colorado where she has seen multiple years of riding previously since I purchased her. She's been a great bike but going to good hands and really the only reason I am upgrading is simply because this year is my 40th and I wanted something big. Not sure how many of you actually still have them or post on MTBR but this was a fun community while it lasted.
    I think I will be ordering a GG this summer when we move back. Not sure what I will do with the Green Machine yet.

Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Short-Change-Hero
    I think I will be ordering a GG this summer when we move back. Not sure what I will do with the Green Machine yet.

Nice... when you moving back and to where? Going to be in steamboat for the 4th of July.

mtbr member
    Nice... when you moving back and to where? Going to be in steamboat for the 4th of July.
    When your in Steamboat ha ha. We will be in Virginia a few years.

Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Short-Change-Hero
    When your in Steamboat ha ha. We will be in Virginia a few years.

Well regardless, welcome back home. Hope you are here to stay for a while. No more galavanting around the world for you!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234