Post your Hammerhead / Switchback - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Short-Change-Hero
    Blackheart near the top of Emerald Mtn in Steamboat Springs, Co. Seriously awesome riding right in the middle of town!!!!

Took the Thumper out for a ride on Emerald Mtn. Seriously epic single track out here in Steamboat Springs!!! by renofizz, on Flickr

mtbr member

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback

Love love love this! Steamboat is our (my wife & I) favorite place in CO! Been a few years since we've been able to visit.

2015 is a must make Steamboat happen kinda year, I feel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah it had been at least 4yrs since the wife and I had been out there so it was a nice trip. Now with the bike park being opened on the ski mountain there is so much riding there to do that it is insane. Coming down the trails on that last day made me wish I had actually spent the $45 to use the park for one day but oh well, next time.

Even got a few shots that I have played with and will be framing soon...
    Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr

Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr

Still messing with the rest.

mtbr member

Must return to SB ASAP

mtbr member

Oh BTW....this is now our FB cover photo

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL... awesome Scott!!! Don't know if you read my build thread but those two pics above are from my BIL and I getting caught in a hellacious rainstorm the last 5 miles of the ride. Hence the hazy look..

mtbr member

Awesome

The Fastest of Bananas
    Got a mini ride report on the B9er. Went to the BMX track last night. One side effect I did not take into consideration is seat tube angle. Slacking the bike out also slackened the seat tube. I think it effectively lengthens the top tube, and it places the seat farther back from the bottom bracket. I have shortish femurs, so now my knees are not in the right place.

I have a solution though. My dropper is seatback, so I am going to swap it for a straight one. Ill use it on my hardtail if it doesnt work out. That should correct the seat angle, but with the seat dropped the bike handles and flys well.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    FastBanana, perhaps you might just be interested in trading my Unveil7 Proto for your Thumper....lately I've been missing big wheels...
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

The Fastest of Bananas

Re: Post your Hammerhead / Switchback

Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    FastBanana, perhaps you might just be interested in trading my Unveil7 Proto for your Thumper....lately I've been missing big wheels...
    Lets do it.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quick ride report. I did Captain Jacks last night with the B9er.

Observations
    Need higher gearing now
    Stupid low and slack, so stable
    Needs a straight seatpost now
    Pedals slightly worse
    Overall amazing. Its like a mini dh rig, by far my fastest time ever on this trail, and its a very fast one. I recommend the mod.

Short-Change-Hero
    Time to talk shock curve, compression rating, tune, etc......
    So after this weekend it seems that the CTD lever is no longer working to add platform to my FLOAT.... I have no leaks that I can tell, sag is set properly for my weight and riding, I just feel that the shock is dead under me and really has no change between settings now does it "do a lot" while riding.

Reading the manual, it states that the first "service" should come after 25hrs of riding time, which I have hit with some pretty aggressive riding and giving the shock a good workout. However, I HATE that if this build/service cycle is true that I am going to have to mess with the shock at least every few months (and with the way I have been riding lately it would be much sooner than that).

So this begs the question, with my current disdain for all things FOX, my shock seemingly going south (already) what and where are you guys learning to be able to make evaluations on proper shock replacement? You all know me, I am an analyst so I am not content with just throwing money at something. I would like to learn about the leverage ratios, spring curves and what not to a small degree so that I may make an educated decision on what the replacement shock will be for Blackheart. Specifically I would like to give the Manitou McLeod a try, which I have been told by Manitou that next year they will be selling custom tuned version to the public.

Often times the second rebuild last longer than the first.

If I were going to buying another shock it would be the Manitou 053 S3C2R. It's the lightest piggyback shock on the market.

The Avalanche modifications to the CTD shocks is apparently excellent.

Short-Change-Hero
    Often times the second rebuild last longer than the first.

If I were going to buying another shock it would be the Manitou 053 S3C2R. It's the lightest piggyback shock on the market.

The Avalanche modifications to the CTD shocks is apparently excellent.
    You mean the Marzocchi not Manitou... Was confused for a minute there.. does look like a nice little shock but I do more trail/xc oriented riding so don't know that a piggyback shock is necessary (I associate with more AM/DH riding).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    DSP Racing

This is the shock I'd like to swap out to on mine, hopefully in the spring. I just love the feel of a good coil shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Received my gray anno XL frame about a week ago. Apparently I have the last gray anno XL; Scott still has black PC models. Nearly all my parts are in and I started the build tonight. Nothing much accomplished as I decided to helitape the frame with 3M 8663.Was my first experience using it. I am reasonably happy with the result. Basically just did downtube, bb, chainstays and headtube rub points.

Adding a photo teaser of some of the parts for the build. Will update as I make any significant progress.

Also wanted to say thanks to gregnash, fast banana and others who have posted about this frame on multiple mtbr threads, making it much easier to make a decision.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-uploadfromtaptalk1412224806378.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by mtndude23 View Post
    DSP Racing

This is the shock I'd like to swap out to on mine, hopefully in the spring. I just love the feel of a good coil shock.
    Wayy to much shock for this small of travel...its only 130mm dude.

The Fastest of Bananas

Wayy to much shock for this small of travel...its only 130mm dude.
    A double barrel would.be great, Coil is overkill.
    I get my Fox CTD hot as ****. Like almost too hot to touch after a 10 to 15 minute stage. When its hot out of course. When the weather is fair it does ok.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Why would you say it's to much shock? It's a fairly light weight coil shock, that can be adjusted to any rider and their trails. Honestly, I get tired of adding air to the fox every ride or other ride. And to get a decent ride out of it, you need to spend a few hundred dollars at PUSH.

I wouldn't waste money on a PUSHed CTD, I'd go to Avalanche for their kit. Granted it aint cheap, but the Knolly guys have been raving about it. Here's some folks talking about the Avy CTD upgrade.

The CCDBA is still really damn heavy for a 130mm trail bike. It's near or over 500g. While it certainly is quite cool that you can tune all kinds of fun stuff on the shock, I'm sure an Inline would allow the same amount of tuning without such weight.

Just because your shock is losing air doesn't mean you need to go coil. The DSP shock posted above is impressively light though, at only 399g, but thats still more than 120g heavier than the CTD, 100g more than the Marz 053 S3C2R and 50g heavier than my Monarch Plus Debonair.

Short-Change-Hero
    See but then conundrum comes as to whether the money is better spent on trying to tune/polish the CTD or better spent on a new, different shock. Most new shocks will run you in the $400+ range where as the tuning from either Avalanche or PUSH will cost about half that, the difference being that you can sell your old shock for a couple hundred dollars thus negating half the price of the new shock (or there abouts).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    To each his own I guess, I don't mind a bit of extra weight. If I did I wouldn't be on a full suspension 29er. I still think coils just plain ride better and need less maintenance. To be honest though the fox will be on my bike for a while. It works fine, it just feels like the weak link, but biking isn't cheap. And there is always something to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Sorry I'm late, had the bike built up since middle of august and have been riding the crap out of it every weekend. It doesn't look new anymore and has its fair share of battle scars. Its my first full suspension and 29er, coming from a 2003 rockhopper it was a massive change.

150mm solo air pike
    Xt brakes
    1x10 28 tooth wolf tooth
    X9 rear derailleur and shifter
    Arch ex on hope 2 pro evo hubs
    High roller 2 F/R
    40mm stem
    750mm answer bar

Last edited by zongman; 10-09-2014 at 06:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm glad I'm not the only one to pull those gaudy stickers off my arch's.

mtbr member
    Cove Hustler 275 Frame 2015 | 150mm all mountain | Float CTD Boost

Saw this Cove Frame and thought it looked familiar. Starting to wonder if these frames are bought from the Taiwanese manufacturer for about $160 and marked up 10 times. Kinda ridiculous since the manufacturer contributes the most to the quality of the frame. Minor design tweaks, paint and marketing amount to 90% of the frame cost? That ain't right!

Carpio77b, I did some extensive research on the subject of Cove's use of Caribou Pro Bikes to build their frames. They are bit different from Kona (who uses/used a very similar front triangle on the Satori) and I recently found another bike that uses a similar front triangle on a 27.5 trail bike.

Cove likes to claim they adjusted the leverage ratio and anti-squat properties of the frame. Whether they did or not isn't really my place to judge, but considering that pretty much all of the pivots are in the same location I'd doubt anything changed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Getting close to done on my build.
    Highlights:
    XL frame
    Real world cycling needle bearing shock mount-gold anno
    140mm Magura TS8R (custom gold decals)
    Reverb post 125mm
    Jones bars (hold over from my SS days)
    Hope retainer 30T gold anno.
    XT 11-36T cass.
    Tuning Pedal headset gold anno (made in same Taiwanese factory as Loaded for 1/3 the cost)
    XT brakes
    180mm XT crankset M765 (oldies but goodies)
    BB80 bottom bracket (gold anno, of course)
    1X10 Saint der and shifter
    DT 350/WTB I19 wheelset (custom gold decals)
    2.20 Captain Control

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

mtbr member
    Looking great!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zongman View Post
    Sorry I'm late, had the bike built up since middle of august and have been riding the crap out of it every weekend. It doesn't look new anymore and has its fair share of battle scars. Its my first full suspension and 29er, coming from a 2003 rockhopper it was a massive change.

150mm solo air pike
    Xt brakes
    1x10 28 tooth wolf tooth
    X9 rear derailleur and shifter
    Arch ex on hope 2 pro evo hubs
    High roller 2 F/R
    40mm stem
    750mm answer bar

Killer! Great to see the Thumper getting put through the paces!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carpio77b View Post
    Cove Hustler 275 Frame 2015 | 150mm all mountain | Float CTD Boost

Saw this Cove Frame and thought it looked familiar. Starting to wonder if these frames are bought from the Taiwanese manufacturer for about $160 and marked up 10 times. Kinda ridiculous since the manufacturer contributes the most to the quality of the frame. Minor design tweaks, paint and marketing amount to 90% of the frame cost? That ain't right!
    Yes the Cove & Unveil7 are both from Caribou...info about Caribou and how the frame came to be is on our site.

I can see how initial perception could be $160 & 10x mark-up...but that isn't close to reality...heck OE price on the Fox CTD shocks is more than $160

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Another Thumper ready to hit the trails!

Here she is!
    Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-thumper.jpg

Looking forward to getting this on the road tomorrow. Looks like it will be a bike commuting day.

And a nice shakedown before the adventure race this weekend.

mtbr member

Looks great! Look forward to hearing ride reports

Short-Change-Hero
    So how did the adventure race go?!

Short-Change-Hero
    Bike still does not cease to amaze me. Buddy and I did a trail called Animal in Truckee this last weekend. From what he was telling me it is a more AM oriented trail with some good rock structure and drops in it once you get to the top and start flowing down. Decent areas of flow with great berms. Well we got up there and it has been completely destroyed by motos, rocks kicked up everywhere, bermed corner bricks ripped out. Just an absolutely #$%show. But the sections we could actually ride it was freaking awesome! Bike just ate up whatever I threw at it, took some decent drops at speed and felt like buttah the entire way. He was completely pissed off that it was so destroyed (admitted it had been almost 2yrs since he had last ridden it) and it was definitely evident that the bike community had given up on it and let the motos finish it off. Still the best bike I have ever ridden.

mtbr member

Great to hear...thanks for the update! Oh, my condolences on the trails though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    good idea or bad idea: stealth dropper post diy on the thumper... im more or less concerned about catching the cable or hose on something and having it ripped out, the reverb is known for this. will this void the warranty?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Photo of my new Unveil9, first in the UK More info in my post here http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/of...l#post11565020

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-dsc_0161b.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ldanao View Post
    Here she is!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thumper.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	931330

Looking forward to getting this on the road tomorrow. Looks like it will be a bike commuting day.

And a nice shakedown before the adventure race this weekend.
    How did the adventure race go?

mtbr member

Unveil7 Prototype Field Testing Video

Short-Change-Hero
    No video showing up Scott...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    i see the video just fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    No video showing up Scott...

It's on the product page as well Unveil7 ? 29er | 27.5 | FSR Full-Suspension

Short-Change-Hero
    Damn ok, probably the work network blocking the video. Played just fine on vimeo and at the website. Love my bike and have been missing it lately as I haven't had a chance to ride in like two months. Thinking that if the weather stays like it is I am going to have to go ride soon.

I found out something interesting today.

Then Unveil7 will fit a 29x2.20 tire! Yes, a 650b bike that can be ridden as a 29er. Granted it'll raise the BB a fair amount, but for my rocky area this may not be the bad thing.

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-unveil7w29x2-2-.jpgPost your Hammerhead / Switchback-unveil7w29x2-15-.jpgPost your Hammerhead / Switchback-unveil7_29x2.2.jpgPost your Hammerhead / Switchback-unveil7w29x2-16-.jpg

Disclaimer: I have no idea if at full compression this would result in contact between seattube and tire or not.

Well, off to sell my Pike 275 and starting hunting for a Pike 29.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Y U do dis?

mtbr member

Disclaimer: I have no idea if at full compression this would result in contact between seattube and tire or not.

Well, off to sell my Pike 275 and starting hunting for a Pike 29.
    Might let the air out of the shock to see if the rear tire hits ST or not before dropping coin on a Pike29

If it doesn't, be interesting to hear how much things change with the 29er wheels

Oh, Wonder if 27.5+ would work in the rear...seems like it would if a 29er wheel/tire fits in there.
    Maybe that could be a way to get a little larger diameter wheel effect less expensively

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback Bikes View Post
    Might let the air out of the shock to see if the rear tire hits ST or not before dropping coin on a Pike29
    I'd like a Pike 29 either way so I could run 275x3.0 tires, which won't happen with the 275 Pike. Rockshox really cut the A-C measurements down, but they also didn't expect people to cram 3" tires into an all-mountain fork. What's crazy is that a Pike 29 has a similar axle-to-crown measurement as some older 650B forks like the White Brother Loop 275 while offering the same travel.

If it doesn't, be interesting to hear how much things change with the 29er wheels
    Well if I ran the fork at 140, or maybe even at 130, I'm sure it would climb awesome and ride very similar to a XC bike. The BB would still be relatively high, but again, this could be advantage.

Oh, Wonder if 27.5+ would work in the rear...seems like it would if a 29er wheel/tire fits in there.
    Maybe that could be a way to get a little larger diameter wheel effect less expensively
    The rear yoke measures 73mm wide and stays fairly consistant.

06HokieMTB made a nice chart that extrapolates width of the B+ options:

From TwentyNineInches.com:

Initially for this test I used the broad IBIS 741 wheels, the same as I rode for the Trailblazer test. The dimensions for the Trax Fatty on this rim (35 mm inner dimension) revealed that the carcass and tread width are absolutely identical on this tire at 79 mm (@ 1.25 bar tire pressure ). Not quite the advertised 3.25″ (or 82.6 mm) , but on a properly wide rim of 50-60mm, it may well come to the desired dimension. On the slightly narrower AMERICAN CLASSIC Wide Lightning rim the tire comes in at a smaller 76 mm .

So we probably couldn't fit a 3.25" tire in the back of the Unveil7, but we might be able to fit a 3.0" tire on narrow rims, and a 2.8 on wider rims. Outside diameter is not a problem in either case.

These revelations have completely changed my thoughts on selling the Unveil7 for another 29er, as it seems the Unveil7 may be able to fill both roles (leaving a spot open for a fatbike if needed).
    Last edited by PHeller; 12-31-2014 at 10:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Great info! I am going to dig up the CAD drawings on the Unveil9....a 27.5+ set up should work on it....and looks like a Pike29 will clear too. This will be a fun experiment.

The issue with most frames is not the outside diameter of the tires, its the width. I'd be surprised if the Unveil9 is any wider in the rear yoke than the Unveil7.

Scott, perhaps you can convince Caribou to build you a frame with a wider rear yoke (3.5") and no front derailure mount? I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in that.

mtbr member

Wish it was that easy

Rocks belong
    The issue with most frames is not the outside diameter of the tires, its the width. I'd be surprised if the Unveil9 is any wider in the rear yoke than the Unveil7.
    keep in mind that 650b+ (or, the WTB 2.8, that is) is a slightly smaller diameter than that of a true 29er tire. This moves the widest spot of the tire farther back into the frame, where there is likely to be more clearance. My WTB 2.8 has fit fine on the two 29er's that I've tried it on.

Ya know what? I've got a 2012 Kona Satori sitting in my garage. Sounds like I should do the Thumper/Unveil9 guys a favor and do a test fit with my 12x142, WTB 2.8/Blunt 35 650b+ rear wheel?
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Just picked up a used Thumper frame. I'm wondering if anyone has used a Fox 34 Talas 140-110 fork on this frame I'm thinking the dropped 110mm position would give me more climbing ease. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Ya know what? I've got a 2012 Kona Satori sitting in my garage. Sounds like I should do the Thumper/Unveil9 guys a favor and do a test fit with my 12x142, WTB 2.8/Blunt 35 650b+ rear wheel?
    That would be awesome! Let us know if it fits....maybe w/ pics?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dpatent View Post
    Just picked up a used Thumper frame. I'm wondering if anyone has used a Fox 34 Talas 140-110 fork on this frame I'm thinking the dropped 110mm position would give me more climbing ease. Thanks.
    Dropping the travel to 110mm up front would be great for the longer climbs where you are grinding away for a while

Rocks belong
    What's in it for me, Scott? That beer I tried to get with you when I was in Tulsa for work this summer?

(I kid, I kid)

Rocks belong
    Y'all are lucky, it's currently -1F outside (and dropping) with 6"+ of snow on the ground. I had put on flannel lined Carhartt's, a down coat and insulated boots to brave the elements to head out to the (unheated) bike storage shed.

This is a M/L 2012 Kona Satori and a WTB Trailblazer 2.8 on a 27.5 Velocity Blunt 35 (29.5mm internal width) rim. Doubt a Dually (39mm internal) would fit. My old 650b conversion had less clearance on the drive side and I had no problems in CO.

I'd say it looks fine, especially for dry conditions here in Colorado. (Well, normally dry, currently snowing. lol) I plan to take this rear wheel/tire combo for a snow ride on my DB Mason tomorrow and Jan 1st.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-img_3312.jpg  

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-img_3313.jpg  

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-img_3314.jpg  

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-img_3315.jpg  

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-img_3316.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Dropping the travel to 110mm up front would be great for the longer climbs where you are grinding away for a while
    That's definitely what I'm going for. Was just curious why others haven't done it, or at least in so much as a search has turned up.

mtbr member

@06HokieMTB
    I totally owe you some beer now!

Great discovery....may have to work up a build option with 27.5+ wheels/tires

Rocks belong
    Chainstay clearance appears to be tightest on the driveline side. Running 1x would probably help as you can see the tail end of the Front D cage is sticking in back there.

A 27.5+ combo with a Blunt 35 rear and a Dually front would probably work well for these frames.

I now find myself wondering if I should keep my Mason or build up a Satori/Hammerhead/Unveil9 frameset as a dedicated 27.5+ trail ripper! lol

mtbr member

That's definitely what I'm going for. Was just curious why others haven't done it, or at least in so much as a search has turned up.
    Think it's just because there aren't a huge # of people overall running the on the fly travel adjust forks...so not a lot of potential people to chime in

I would run that set up if I lived where there were extended climbs

Rocks belong
    Scott, another thought... as the Satori and the Thumper have the same front triangle but different rear end designs, any clue if tire clearance is similar between the two? That could be the only wrench thrown into the system here.

mtbr member

Chainstay clearance appears to be tightest on the driveline side. Running 1x would probably help as you can see the tail end of the Front D cage is sticking in back there.

A 27.5+ combo with a Blunt 35 rear and a Dually front would probably work well for these frames.

I now find myself wondering if I should keep my Mason or build up a Satori/Hammerhead/Unveil9 frameset as a dedicated 27.5+ trail ripper! lol
    HA! Heck yeah...

mtbr member

Scott, another thought... as the Satori and the Thumper have the same front triangle but different rear end designs, any clue if tire clearance is similar between the two? That could be the only wrench thrown into the system here.
    I'll double check CAD drawings....but expect the clearance to be the same....they are different but are built using the same jigs, so my assumption is clearance will be the same

Rocks belong
    Since I'm in this thread, I'll chime in on this.

I live east of Golden, CO where there are extended (2k foot, 45-60 minute) climbs. I've had TALAS on two bikes and found it a PITA. One bike was a 140-120-100 drop and I found the 140-100 jump to be too large. You could actually 'feel' a drag as a result of changing the geometry... felt like you were trying to push the front wheel into the ground. On that bike, I found preferred to either use the 120 drop setting (which really wasn't that noticeable) or, actually, to leave it at full tilt.

I also found myself forgetting to reset the fork and descending with it in it's lowest travel setting.

I've got a dual position Pike 275 and I love it, but I wish I had a remote for that feature.

The yoke/chainstay looks completely different on the Satori vs the Unveil7. Take a look at my pictures on the last page. The Unveil7's yoke looks to be totally CNC'ed and welded to the chainstays, where as the Satori looks like the yoke was only half-machined, and welded into a more complete non-drive side chainstay. Interesting thought is how thin the driveside chainstay is.

It looks as though the Unveil make have more clearance in height/diameter, but maybe not quite as much in width.

Only one way to find out...

Rocks belong
    The yoke/chainstay looks completely different on the Satori vs the Unveil7. Take a look at my pictures on the last page. The Unveil7's yoke looks to be totally CNC'ed and welded to the chainstays, where as the Satori looks like the yoke was only half-machined, and welded into a more complete non-drive side chainstay. Interesting thought is how thin the driveside chainstay is.

It looks as though the Unveil make have more clearance in height/diameter, but maybe not quite as much in width.

Only one way to find out...
    Anybody with an Unveil/Thumper on the Front Range is welcome to meet me and try this WTB 2.8/Blunt 35 combo on their frame

mtbr member

@fastbanana?

mtbr member

@pheller good points....

if I can motivate I'll save the rear triangle CAD drawing to JPEG and upload....then everyone can let the analyzing begin

Rocks belong
    You're right, it does look totally different on the drive side:
    Attachment 951572

BTW: way to give Twentynineinches.com credit for your quote, but totally (anonymously) gank the 650b+ tire size extrapolation chart that I made and posted in the 650b+ tire thread! Geez...

The rear yoke measures 73mm wide and stays fairly consistant.

From TwentyNineInches.com:

Initially for this test I used the broad IBIS 741 wheels, the same as I rode for the Trailblazer test. The dimensions for the Trax Fatty on this rim (35 mm inner dimension) revealed that the carcass and tread width are absolutely identical on this tire at 79 mm (@ 1.25 bar tire pressure ). Not quite the advertised 3.25″ (or 82.6 mm) , but on a properly wide rim of 50-60mm, it may well come to the desired dimension. On the slightly narrower AMERICAN CLASSIC Wide Lightning rim the tire comes in at a smaller 76 mm .

Oops!

I hate it when people say "if you look at my other threads you'll see this chart" or "if you look at so and so thread you'll see pictures of..." so most of the time I'm quickly hotlinking pictures to avoid that type of stuff. Its my opinion that if you have access to the picture your reference, just post the dang picture! So most of the time I do, quickly, and I forget things.

I'll edit my post to reflect credit where credit is due.

Rocks belong
    I'll edit my post to reflect credit where credit is due.
    Just bustin' your chops. Glad to see someone is getting use out of that chart

I'm curious what equations you used to make the chart. I'm a data geek.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Since I'm in this thread, I'll chime in on this.

I live east of Golden, CO where there are extended (2k foot, 45-60 minute) climbs. I've had TALAS on two bikes and found it a PITA. One bike was a 140-120-100 drop and I found the 140-100 jump to be too large. You could actually 'feel' a drag as a result of changing the geometry... felt like you were trying to push the front wheel into the ground. On that bike, I found preferred to either use the 120 drop setting (which really wasn't that noticeable) or, actually, to leave it at full tilt.

I also found myself forgetting to reset the fork and descending with it in it's lowest travel setting.
    Good points, thanks for the feedback

Rocks belong
    I'm curious what equations you used to make the chart. I'm a data geek.
    Linear or polynomial interpolation & curve fit between known measurements (which were from reported numbers from others who had mic'd out 650b+ tires on various rims. Namely, Twentynineinches.com, but others here on MTBR as well)

Edit: my word, I am a dork. Lol

Rocks belong
    Good points, thanks for the feedback
    Please remember, the opinion I have is just that of some guy on the Internet. Who you've never met and don't know what I like in a ride.

My point? It's probably about as much as you paid for it

mtbr member

Unveil9 Rear Triangle CAD

How's this?

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-unveil9-rear-triangle.jpg

The Fastest of Bananas
    Anybody with an Unveil/Thumper on the Front Range is welcome to meet me and try this WTB 2.8/Blunt 35 combo on their frame
    Where at? a 650B+ sounds like a lot of fun on this bike.

Rocks belong
    Denver. West side, over by Golden.

The Fastest of Bananas
    I'm down in the springs.

I'm thinking of trying this combo on WTB i25s, with the Trailblazer, but it seems they aren't available to mortals yet. I'll check QBP soon though.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    I'm down in the springs.

I'm thinking of trying this combo on WTB i25s, with the Trailblazer, but it seems they aren't available to mortals yet. I'll check QBP soon though.
    Id recommend wider. I first mounted it on an i25 and it really reduces the volume of the tire. Shoot for a 30-39mm internal width rim.

mtbr member

I now have my eyes on the new LB 38mm wide 650b rims/wheels

http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-...l#.VKSmdyKCPCQ

Rocks belong
    Those would be great for mid-fat trail use!

mtbr member

Sure seems like they would be...

The Fastest of Bananas

Id recommend wider. I first mounted it on an i25 and it really reduces the volume of the tire. Shoot for a 30-39mm internal width rim.
    Only because I have i25s already. Not feeling like spending for the carbons. I may wait for the new WTB rim. Where can I find the Trailblazer tires?

Rocks belong
    Unfortunately, it appears as if you can't find them anywhere. I was lucky and got my one WTB 2.8 new, from a MTBR member.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    This looks like our next set of build wheels...

How's this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unveil9 Rear Triangle.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	951633
    Looks like 74 MM between the edges of the yoke, so my 73mm measurement was pretty darn close. On the Unveil9, the tire may sit back a little bit further, but it doesn't appear to give us a whole lot more room.

Now, I wonder if I could provide those drawings to a frame builder who could use them to make me a wider chainstay/yoke?

mtbr member
    Now, I wonder if I could provide those drawings to a frame builder who could use them to make me a wider chainstay/yoke?
    That would cost a boatload of $$ to pull off....

mtbr member

DeeZee's Thumper

Size = Large
    Drive train - XX1
    Wheels = DT Swiss / LB Carbon
    Seatpost = RS Reverb
    Bars = Enve
    Brakes = Hope Mono M4
    Fork = RS Pike 140mm 51mm offset
    Weight = 28lbs

Selling this frame!

Why????

Replacing it with an Unviel 9

Freaking love the thing.....so much that my SC Tallboy just sits
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-thumper.jpg  

The Fastest of Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Size = Large
    Drive train - XX1
    Wheels = DT Swiss / LB Carbon
    Seatpost = RS Reverb
    Bars = Enve
    Brakes = Hope Mono M4
    Fork = RS Pike 140mm 51mm offset
    Weight = 28lbs

Selling this frame!

Why????

Replacing it with an Unviel 9

Freaking love the thing.....so much that my SC Tallboy just sits
    28 flat? what tires?

That's dedication, selling one frame for an identical frame with different paint!

mtbr member
    That's dedication, selling one frame for an identical frame with different paint!
    And RS Monarch shock :-)

Sorry but that Black looks so sexy I couldn't help myself.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Get that ish painted

mtbr member
    Sell a Thumper frame, roll that $$ into an Unveil9 with a repeat customer discount price....come out about the same as buying a Monarch RC3 Plus for the Thumper aftermarket....new/better looking frame, more durable & lighter Anodized finish, better shock. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

mtbr member
    28 flat? what tires?
    Yes without pedals and a lighter stem.......right now 28.5

Tires Specialized 2bliss Captain

The Fastest of Bananas

Yes without pedals and a lighter stem.......right now 28.5

Tires Specialized 2bliss Captain
    Do you ride without pedals?

I call it 29.5.

Nextie is doing a midfat 26" rim now, Im sure a 650b one is on the way.

mtbr member
    Do you ride without pedals?

I call it 29.5.

Nextie is doing a midfat 26" rim now, Im sure a 650b one is on the way.
    No it is 28.5 WITH pedals and stem. The stem is a cheap heavy one.

The weight savings is the wheels and tires. The Special Ed 2bliss are light.

The new Unviel 9 I think will be closer to 29 with the heavier shock. I will post pictures and the weight next week after I have her built.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Dang thats light for that bike.

Short-Change-Hero
    Is it bad that I really want to buy a 27.5 Unveil7 frame specifically to build it up with a Manitou Mattoc and McLeod? Love Manitou stuff and they have been good to me in the past, the Rev that I have now is great but I really want a more Trail fork that has 34mm stanchions (I know it will be heavier) and love the tuning ability of Manitou stuff. But alas they have nothing on their plate for new 29er stuff this year (and conceivably until they see that 29er and 27.5 are going to be pretty equal).

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    no, no its not greg.

No reason you couldn't run the Marvel at 120mm on your 29er.

mtbr member

no, no its not greg.
    I concur

Looking for a Fox CTD shock from a Thumper with bushings/mounting hardware if anyone has got one for sale. Looking to spend under $125. Please PM.

mtbr member

In with the new.....out wit the old

Sell a Thumper frame, roll that $$ into an Unveil9 with a repeat customer discount price....come out about the same as buying a Monarch RC3 Plus for the Thumper aftermarket....new/better looking frame, more durable & lighter Anodized finish, better shock. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Surprisingly the Unveil 9 is the exact weight as the Thumper. Lighter finish + heavier shock vs. heavier finish + lighter shock.

Put it together last night except for the shifter cable and bleed on the rear brake and dropper.......

Exact weight with pedals and heavy stem 28lbs 11oz.

With my nicer cranks and better stem I could get it to about 28 even....but don't think I will.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-sw-1.jpg  

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-sw-2.jpg  

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-th-1.jpg  

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-th-2.jpg  

DeeZee, what kinda price will you be asking for that old frame?

mtbr member
    DeeZee, what kinda price will you be asking for that old frame?
    Sorry I sold it

mtbr member

Surprisingly the Unveil 9 is the exact weight as the Thumper. Lighter finish + heavier shock vs. heavier finish + lighter shock.

Put it together last night except for the shifter cable and bleed on the rear brake and dropper.......

Exact weight with pedals and heavy stem 28lbs 11oz.

With my nicer cranks and better stem I could get it to about 28 even....but don't think I will.
    Very cool....pretty wild to see what a difference in weight paint vs Ano is....a while ago I weighed the Fox CTD and Monarch...Monarch was 150grms heavier

Thanks for posting

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm wondering if anyone else is having problems using all of the rear travel? I've got about 200 miles on this bike so far. During normal use, I'm only getting 46-47mm of shock use. This is at 130psi, compression opened up all the way. And I need to push it hard to even use that much.

I'm only getting 48 with no air at all and I tried taking out the volume reducer-got 49mm that way.

Overall the bike feels good still, but I want to be getting all the travel I can. I know a few mm of shock travel doesn't sound like much at first, but that can a 1/4" or more of wheel travel.

Also I checked and the rear tire is not coming into contact with anything. There also doesn't seem to be any binding going on without the shock on there.

Cactus Cuddler
    On a similar (note, not Switchback/Hammerhead, but 130mm Horst-type 4-link with top tube mounted control link) frame with a FoxCTD-Evo shock [which IMO needs a volume reducer] the leverage rate makes the shock extra-progressive towards the top.
    Upside is that I can make the small bump compliance great in wide-open LSC (Descend) mode, but that I find myself leaning on the Trail setting because I'm running pretty low pressure (180psi for my big self). I get 95% of the travel in everyday use, but the transition from shock bottoming out to the seatstays/chainstays/pivot flexing is super-smooth so it really feels truly bottomless in this arrangement; but that's basically finding a way to make a somewhat cheap shock work for 250lb rider/pack mass on 3-4' hits - try it and see if that's an arrangement that works for you. I wind up using full travel on the bigger hits (aka being stupid and hucking my fat self off ledges to flat), but 90-95% of the travel on the medium ones, and that to me is why I like this sort of bike for how I ride.

I suspect with a better shock [I'd guess this is why Switchback is speccing a double can Monarch Plus - cramming the RCT3/Debonair into the frame price is just plain impressive] there can be a bit more low speed compression dialed in without forgoing small bump suppleness/traction [hence why DebonAir is awesome] and that the lower air spring pressure that allows means use of full travel.

In your case, maybe dabble with lower pressure, then decide if the volume spacer is worth adding back in - I've found that the lower initial leverage rate makes the low speed compression really helpful for seated climbing, but that might really specifically be my setup preference.

[ETA] Using 100% travel on every ride isn't an ideal goal - having the suspension perform as well as possible without totally falling flat anywhere IS the goal, it took me a couple hundred miles to get comfortable with having a little less travel 'in reserve', and getting the better part of 5" more of the time (but only because it meant I could get better performance through stuff like braking/stutter bumps because I could run a few mm more sag while having less initial takeup force - the intention wasn't to use more travel, it was to find out how to make the top 1/2 of the travel where most time is spent as good as possible without compromising the last bit of it.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Just 130?

If it helps, I dont recall ever bottoming mine out hard, nor should you want to be bottoming out.

The most important thing is that the suspension behaving right, rather than obsessing over 2mm in shock travel

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Geared up, I'm about 160, so the 130 psi works well for 85% of my normal ride. But it definitely should bottom out from a 3-4 foot drop. As it sits now , I'm really I'm really just riding a 120 mm bike. And its the 2mm it's not even using with no air and no spacer in it.

I was mostly curious if anyone else was having the same issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I mean to say, I'm not wanting to use all the travel on average small to medium bumps. But on the big hits, your shock should be using it all. Mine is only using 90% on the biggest stuff it's ever going to see.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I run 170-175psi and geared up I'm about 220. 99% of my rides I use 100% of my travel. Also as FastBanana already mentioned even with 45% sag (not sure what pressure, made a mistake, my guess 140-150psi) on aggressive run I never felt rear suspension bottoming out and it felt really plush

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It sounds like there is just something off with my shock then. I've been wanting to upgrade to something a bit nicer anyway

mtbr member

All built up but can't ride

Weather is not cooperating so I will need to wait until next weekend
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-sw.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    that bike might kill you in your sleep...

The Fastest of Bananas
    That looks awesome

mtbr member
    Weather is not cooperating so I will need to wait until next weekend
    I agree with @fastbanana....looks awesome! Made it our new FB Cover photo
    https://www.facebook.com/Switchbackbikes?ref=hl

mtbr member
    I agree with @fastbanana....looks awesome! Made it our new FB Cover photo
    https://www.facebook.com/Switchbackbikes?ref=hl
    LOL.....if I would have known that I would have taken a better picture!...maybe this weekend :-)

mtbr member
    HA! It's always good to rotate out cover photos frequently...now get to work taking a better pic

mtbr member

Not the Thumper

Finally got a few rides in on the Unveil 9 and a longer more technical ride on Monday. The RS Monarch shock is just outstanding on this bike!

Pedals great and descends even better. One thing to check is the pivot bolts at the shock mount. Both came loose during the ride. I will put some Blue lock tight on them this week and it should be fine.
    So far really impressed and having a blast!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-sw-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Awesome! Great pics and ride report

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Did anybody compare Fox shock and Monarch+ on this bike? How much better is Monarch plus shock? There are some great prices on a Monarch+ from German site right now, around $350. And I think it'll work with Pike really nicely.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    idk but thats exactly what im looking at right now, you think the price wont stay that low for long?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I wish I knew.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I recently put a Canecreek DB CS on the Thumper. Finally got to do a real ride today to adjust the settings a bit. Wow, what a difference. Very smooth, really gave me a lot more on the trail. To be honest I'm really not the fastest rider, but I set 4 new PR's on strava, from today's ride! I mostly just like to track my mileage.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Zilcho View Post
    Did anybody compare Fox shock and Monarch+ on this bike? How much better is Monarch plus shock? There are some great prices on a Monarch+ from German site right now, around $350. And I think it'll work with Pike really nicely.
    @DeeZee had the Thumper with the Fox CTD and just switched to the Unveil9 with the Monarch Plus...look up a couple posts...his feedback is based on his previous experience on the CTD and now the Monarch Plus

mtbr member

I recently put a Canecreek DB CS on the Thumper. Finally got to do a real ride today to adjust the settings a bit. Wow, what a difference. Very smooth, really gave me a lot more on the trail. To be honest I'm really not the fastest rider, but I set 4 new PR's on strava, from today's ride! I mostly just like to track my mileage.
    Awesome

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I like the idea behind Canecreek shock, what I dont like is lack of manuals and rebuild kits.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I like the idea behind Canecreek shock, what I dont like is lack of manuals and rebuild kits.
    yessss! that's exactly what made me change my mind on it, i was all set on a dbinline till i found out there was no diy support for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The adventure race went great. We came in Dead Last, LoL. But the whole 3 hours was a laugh fest...

mtbr member

HA! Love it

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Bought the Monarch+. $347 shipped. Worst case scenario it'll match the color of my fork and dropper

mtbr member

RS Monarch Debonair Plus

Bought the Monarch+. $347 shipped. Worst case scenario it'll match the color of my fork and dropper
    I had the Thumper with the Fox and now the Unveil with the RS.

I was happy with the Thumper and love the geo. However I am / have been underwhelmed with Fox rear shocks. I also have a SC Tallboy with a Fox rear shock that required a custom tune to work well.

My son has a SC Nomad (1st gen) and it had a FOX DHX Air on it and even after a service he didn’t like it. So for Xmas he got a new RS Monarch Debonair Plus (off of a 2014 SC Nomad). It transformed his bike. What he told me is he could really get it dialed in without much fuss (he is 13). Can really feel the difference in the compression settings. Low for slow speed technical descents. Mid for trail riding. High for jumps and long climbs.

That got me thinking about swapping out the shock on the Thumper with the RS. After seeing the Ano Black Unveil I decided to get a new frame.

My feelings on the shock are just about the same as my son’s. I leave it in the mid compression setting for most of my riding and switch it to the high setting for climbing.

The RS simply does everything better……..climbing / descending….you are going to love it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-thumper.jpg  

Last edited by DeeZee; 01-23-2015 at 12:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks DeeZee, good to know. Your experience confirms my expectations about the Monarch+. I'm sure I will not be disappointed about the new shock.

mtbr member

Great info DeeZee

Short-Change-Hero
    Yes thank you for he information DeeZee... I have been contemplating putting something else on the bike as I recently noticed that no matter what setting I have the shock in the response seems to be the exact same. I would rather have something I can service/tune myself rather than having to take the bike down for a week or two while I wait to send out the shock to be serviced by the company.

mtbr member
    Yes thank you for he information DeeZee... I have been contemplating putting something else on the bike as I recently noticed that no matter what setting I have the shock in the response seems to be the exact same. I would rather have something I can service/tune myself rather than having to take the bike down for a week or two while I wait to send out the shock to be serviced by the company.
    "no matter what setting I have the shock in the response seems to be the exact same".

Yep...exactly. If you are thinking of upgrading I have also heard good things about the Cane Creek DB. Very tunable shock.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah I know that the CC DB is supposed to be great but seems to be a bit more than the Monarch. Gonna keep my eye out to see if I can find a cheaper replacement shock. Nevertheless I will ride it like I stole it, oh and made the committment today, bought a Hope Retainer Ring in 32T (gold of course!). So gonna have a "bike teardown" party with my buddy and will swap it.

mtbr member
    Thumper did well in the snow of Mt Pinos(8000' elevation SoCal) last week - who needs Fat? Nothing technical other than the ice patches, but 8 mile up - 8 mile down fast, flowy single track was oh so fun.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Yeah I know that the CC DB is supposed to be great but seems to be a bit more than the Monarch. Gonna keep my eye out to see if I can find a cheaper replacement shock. Nevertheless I will ride it like I stole it, oh and made the committment today, bought a Hope Retainer Ring in 32T (gold of course!). So gonna have a "bike teardown" party with my buddy and will swap it.
    Have you considered getting the Fox PUSH'ed?

It doesn't solve heat buildup, but on my last FSR bike with a Fox Shock, it made a big difference. Also, the Fox CTD on my Enduro seems to be tuned better for that bike, as it pedals better.

Would love to see a CCDB on one of these though.

mtbr member

Thumper

Picked this Thumper up last week for a song. Less than 10 rides and equipped with X01, Pike, Stans, ETC. Couldn't say no.

First ride impressions felt like a Yeti SB95.....that's a good thing BTW

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-img_20150201_120158.jpg
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    ATXZJ - Your bike roster shows that the Hammerhead is for sale after you have praised the bike's excellent performance after one week's ownership.

Are you a bike flipper? Not referring to aerial bike tricks as we all know that 29ers are lame (I also read Pinkbike).

If you are a flipper, let me give you a couple tips:

1) Don't announce that you got the bike for cheap as next buyer will expect same.

2) Don't try to guise your free ad in the forums. If the bike was so great, why are you selling after one week?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've been running the CCDB on mine for a few miles now, it's pretty nice. The bike rode well with the Fox, it rides great with the DB. I'm still playing with the adjustments a bit, but it really compliments the stage fork on the front. A much more plush feel, if that makes sense.

I almost got the monarch instead for the ability to service yourself. But in the end, I wanted to be able to tune the DB instead. Also, I don't take dampers apart myself, so once a year it'd get sent in over the winter anyway for service.

mtbr member
    ATXZJ - Your bike roster shows that the Hammerhead is for sale after you have praised the bike's excellent performance after one week's ownership.

Are you a bike flipper? Not referring to aerial bike tricks as we all know that 29ers are lame (I also read Pinkbike).

If you are a flipper, let me give you a couple tips:

1) Don't announce that you got the bike for cheap as next buyer will expect same.

2) Don't try to guise your free ad in the forums. If the bike was so great, why are you selling after one week?
    Wow, I was just excited to see a thread existed about these bikes and wanted to share. That's what this is for right?

Now let me give you some advice kitten. Don't assume you know everything, particularly when you have lower post count and rep.

You can do us all a favor and PM your concerns rather than clutter up these threads any further.
    greener pastures

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Wow, I was just excited to see a thread existed about these bikes and wanted to share. That's what this is for right?

Now let me give you some advice kitten. Don't assume you know everything, particularly when you have lower post count and rep.

You can do us all a favor and PM your concerns rather than clutter up these threads any further.
    Post Count and Rep?

Get real dude.

Nice bike though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post

PMs won't build my post count or Rep.

Good luck with the sale.

This is incredibly common on Pinkbike. Shop bros will get a great deal on a bike, ride it for a few months, and turn around and sell it for $500 less than retail, while still making a profit.

Personally as long as nobody is getting ripped off, they can hawk every bike they ride as "awesome, the best" and I don't mind.

mtbr member
    To clear things up (and why i'm doing this i dont know). I am not a flipper, nor am i a shop rat. I came across this bike for a good price and bought it for the parts rather than the frame. At the time, i couldn't have cared what frame it was.

However, aside from the horrible marketing, I was very impressed with the frame. For a large it feels very responsive and playful. Certainly more fun than my TBLT which is odd because the geo is very similar. Welds and finish are also top notch. Either way, its a good bike.

I do not have this bike posted for sale anywhere other than my sig, which i would challenge that everything is for sale at some point. There is no absolute loyalty. If I do chose to sell it, I know how to do so without spamming, so please spare me the condescending remarks. Thanks
    greener pastures

Sorry, wasn't implying that you were a "shop rat."

There are far worse things to worry about than someone buying and selling a new bike every couple of months. I'm glad you like the bike, as not all of us have the ability to compare it to such great competition.

mtbr member
    Now for some contribution:

I noticed a clunk from the rear suspension and found that the lower link was the source of the noise. Once I got access, i found the lower link bolt was loose. Apparently the conical headed bolt was either too long or the pivot axle was not threaded deep enough resulting in the bolt not properly seating and preloading the bearing. This frame was a NOS with only a few rides on is so there is no wear.

I searched and this seems to be an isolated incident but figured i'd share in case anyone has noticed this. HTH

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-img_20150203_092644.jpgPost your Hammerhead / Switchback-img_20150202_211524%7E2.jpg

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-img_20150203_092927%7E2.jpg
    greener pastures

So a shorter bolt solved the issue?

I've been having some problems with runaway bolts as well. I reapplied blue loctite in the hope they'd stay put, but was curious if something else was at play (PUN!)

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    i had the same issue, i just used more loctite and that solved my issue.

mtbr member
    So a shorter bolt solved the issue?

I've been having some problems with runaway bolts as well. I reapplied blue loctite in the hope they'd stay put, but was curious if something else was at play (PUN!)
    Yep, ground down the bolt a bit and used red loctite. No more clunking but haven't ridden much due to work/weather.

*Any easy way to tell if bolt is too long is to attempt to tighten the bolts. If they spin freely, even when holding drive side to proper torque, the bolt is too long.*

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-img_20150206_094257%7E2.jpg
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 02-06-2015 at 12:55 PM.
    greener pastures

Short-Change-Hero
    Interesting. I have not heard anything coming from my suspension so maybe it is an isolated batch incident. If nothing else send the information to Scott so that he can adequately address it with his mfg... there were a few of us that bought the frames new and did not get a seatpost collar or other small things that should have come in the box and so Scott went after the mfg to ensure things are being doing correctly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Had the same problem, had to grind the bolt down about 1mm. So its not completely isolated. Had problem with one of the bearing there, but it was resolved with Scott (great costumer service).

On unrelated note, my Monarch Plus shock literally just came, will install it now.

Bike in its current form:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-img_3175.jpg  

Last edited by El_Zilcho; 02-03-2015 at 03:56 PM.

Short-Change-Hero
    Nice... I am debating on getting a new shock or going with something different. Still really want to support Manitou and talking with them I can order a McLeod through my LBS. Gonna call them this week and see if they can get me a quote to see how much the MCLEOD is, found it on ChainReactionCycling (out of stock) for $289.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    On unrelated note, my Monarch Plus shock literally just came, will install it now.
    I, for one, am looking very much forward to hearing your thoughts on the Monarch and how it compares to the Float Factory BV!

I might be looking into some sort of upgrade in the rear shock department for coming season. Either new shock (Monarch, McLeod, CCDB?) or maybe Push-tuning the Fox

Cheers
    /Johan

Personally, I'd choose a Avalanche tuned Fox Float over any of those. Mostly due to weight.

The Marzocchi 053 CR is the only shock I'd consider upgrading to over my Debonair. Why? Again, weight.

The Manitou McLeod is a nice shock, but its nearly as heavy as the reservoir equipped Marzocchi, and I feel that these short stroke designs need a reservoir if your downhills last more than a few minutes.

The Fastest of Bananas

Had the same problem, had to grind the bolt down about 1mm. So its not completely isolated. Had problem with one of the bearing there, but it was resolved with Scott (great costumer service).

Sweet!

Short-Change-Hero
    Personally, I'd choose a Avalanche tuned Fox Float over any of those. Mostly due to weight.

The Marzocchi 053 CR is the only shock I'd consider upgrading to over my Debonair. Why? Again, weight.

The Manitou McLeod is a nice shock, but its nearly as heavy as the reservoir equipped Marzocchi, and I feel that these short stroke designs need a reservoir if your downhills last more than a few minutes.
    At @200lbs kitted up for riding, and with me having just as many ups as downs I don't think a few extra grams/ounces from a new shock will make a difference (in my case). Hell I just ordered a GEAX Sturdy as a new front tire (my GATO is starting to tear knobs after 3 seasons) and that thing comes in at about 950g so that should be interesting (couldn't pass it up for $35 shipped brand new and the TNT version which is heavier in the first place).

If I was riding something like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride where there is a significant and sustained downhill with lots of features in it then yeah I can see needing a piggyback shock but the monotube style shock has been working great so far for the "Trail" riding that I do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I would agree with you on most points. But for me 100 or so grams really dont matter, I'm 220+Lb with my gear. When I sell my fox shock, my monarch+ most likely gonna be cheaper then Ava tune. Some of my downhills last more than few minutes and I like to jump, also I'm not very good at it yet. And again ability to service stuff myself is a huge plus for me. I'm in So Cal so my season lasts whole year (dont want to waste time waiting for my shock) and I hate paying for stuff I can do myself.

.....and I feel that these short stroke designs need a reservoir if your downhills last more than a few minutes.

Short-Change-Hero
    I would agree with you on most points. But for me 100 or so grams really dont matter, I'm 220+Lb with my gear. When I sell my fox shock, my monarch+ most likely gonna be cheaper then Ava tune. Some of my downhills last more than few minutes and I like to jump, also I'm not very good at it yet. And again ability to service stuff myself is a huge plus for me. I'm in So Cal so my season lasts whole year (dont want to waste time waiting for my shock) and I hate paying for stuff I can do myself.
    Yeah I agree with you for the most part. Not too keen on paying the $400+ for the Debonair or Plus shock but then again my downhills are not sustained for more than a few minutes at most. The couple exceptions to that are trails that I ride fairly infrequently.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    ...Not too keen on paying the $400+ for the Debonair or Plus shock....
    You can get Monarch + RC3 Debonair for less than $350 from German websites now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So had my first ride with new Monarch Plus shock. I'm still recovering from cold and my local trails are rather tame, but so far I really like the upgrade. Its much more plush without being too soft. To make fox feel like this you need to really underinflate it, something like 40%-45% sag. Bike feels more in control, I had notably more traction in fast uneven turns.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    woot that sounds great, im waiting on mounting hardware for mine and then like a month for the weather to break

Edit: added pic, cuz everything is better with pictures.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I used hardware from fox shock. I needed to transfer RWC needle bearing anyway.
    woot that sounds great, im waiting on mounting hardware for mine and then like a month for the weather to break

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    El_Zilcho what are your impressions on the monarch plus fit and finish? So far i feel the fox CTD is better in terms of user controls: more positive engagement whereas the monarch feels quite vague on the rebound knob and the compression lever will skip straight over the mid when pushed from high, goes to low with none of my input. i have to use my thumb and index finger to stop it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I would say fit and finish are the same. Rebound knob is a bit more vague. Compression lever is less precise going from low to high and about the same as fox going from high to low, but I see how it might skip at this direction.

Short-Change-Hero

Ok well I just went 1x10 with the bike and figure I will continue to ride for the next month at least on the current FOX. From there I will make the decision to upgrade but with CRC currently having the McLeod in stock for $277 shipped that is kinda hard to beat. May change my mind as the Land Cruiser needs a new suspension so $300 will go a good way for shocks for her as well.

mtbr member

That's a killer deal on the McLeod!

mtbr member
    Greg,

Have you tried the Macleod? I feel like the rear suspension on the Thumper is a bit "spongy" as compared to my previous DW Link bike, but cannot tell if this sponginess is from the Fox shock or the Horst link. That being said, the Thumper/Horst Link eats up high speed chunk better than my old Pivot, while the Pivot (26er) was more "playful".

Cactus Cuddler
    It's the horst link - in a specific way. To me, every Horst Link type setup makes the shock integral to performance under pedaling and heave loads, so the shock being tasked with being the air spring AND damper just means it has to be set up correctly to feel great, whereas the kinematics of dual-link bikes make them pedal well even if the shock isn't set particularly well.

Having valving for the low speed compression circuit being set up correctly is something you feel immediately on a Horst link bike (or don't), which I feel is why a lot of people mistakenly love or hate the design. On the Fox (Evo, or the higher end Float Kashima / RP23 units even) I've found that dialing in a bit of low speed compression (add clicks on the blue dial), and running the rebound a click or two on the springy side (red dial, and getting it to where it just barely feels like it's not pogo-ing) really sorts out that feel - for me.

For reference, I'm 6'2" and 235lb prior to gear; the Fox rear shocks (for somebody my size) do better about staying high in the travel when in the Trail mode (light propedal) across a big range of conditions, while still doing a fantastic job of eating up bigger hits - if you're running 30-35% sag on a shock setup with the rebound damping dialed up a bit high then it'll sap some of that playful feel for sure. In all honestly, my cheap Fox EVO FloatCTD the bike came with should be as capable seeming on paper (I've ridden some Specialized FSR setups with DB Air/Inline and Monarch+Debonair shocks that should blow it out of the water), but getting the shock dialed in just lapping a 50yd segment of bouldery irrigation runoff for an afternoon made that shock absolutely come alive.

mtbr member
    Tehllama - nice write up.

I'm running 25% sag, with no rebound damping and leave it in trail mode 2 at all times. So, trying to go with the "sporty" feel within reason. Have tried 20% sag, but didn't see enough gains when climbing, while getting harsher over small bumps. I don't do BIG hits, but have no complaints whatsoever of the Horst Link/Fox ability to take 2ft drops to flat. The Fox definitely feels unmatched with the Revelation bolted to the front for all the reasons previously described, but I still really like riding this bike.

mtbr member

@tehllama great info on dialing in the shock

@carpio77b The Pivot version of the DW-Link was designed to ride high in its travel focusing on pedaling efficiency over a really plush ride when it gets chunky.
    That's the type of ride Cocalis dials into all the suspension designs he works on....I worked for Titus during the Cocalis days and he did the same thing with the FSR Titus bikes back in the day. The RacerX was a rocket!

One of my favorite bikes of all time was the Titus Moto-Lite of that time period. It actually went a little bit away from super efficient pedaling and brought in a more plush ride.

When I started HH/SB I wanted to come to market with a 29er version, w/ current GEO, of the Titus MotoLite from that era.
    The Thumper/Unveil9 hit that target spot-on, IMO

I've always loved a Trailbike/Enduro type bike that keeps the rear wheel glued to the ground and really shines in the chunky.....one that really builds your confidence so your are able to maximize your abilities in those situations and keep raising your speed (and fun factor)
    BRRRRRAAAPPPPP!!

Short-Change-Hero

@carpio77b no I have not gotten the McLeod yet but plan to in a few weeks when I am back from traveling for work. Whether or not it will be better then the Fox or not I have no clue but at the price I am seeing it would be almost the same cost to have PUSH or Avalanche tune the fox for me. From my understanding of the Manitou IPA platform it is basically a 4 setting version of CTD with two Trail settings. All settings can have rebound added.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hi to all, and greetings from Finland

Here is my Thumper aka Tumputin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KnuutV View Post
    Hi to all, and greetings from Finland

Here is my Thumper aka Tumputin.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing....so cool seeing one up in Finland. How do you like the White Brothers fork?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The Loop 29er has been a good fork for me. It's a little heavy by today's standards. The stanchions are only 32mm, but I don't notice any flex while riding. It has enough mid stroke support for me and doesn't bottom out harshly. All that said I have only ridden RS Reba extensively before.

I can easily service the forks myself and source spare parts locally.

mtbr member
    Scott,

Any plans for a short travel, short chainstay, slack 29er a la Process 111?

mtbr member
    Scott,

Any plans for a short travel, short chainstay, slack 29er a la Process 111?
    I would love to do that....big investment, so not gonna happen soon, but definitely on the radar

mtbr member

21st BDay

On another subject....a customer of ours in New Zealand sent me this video...it's unrelated to Switchback...but relevant to why we love this sport, IMO.

A 21yr old NZer decided to ride 21 ascents in 21 hours for his 21st Bday! My 21st Bday was a wee bit different than that Wish I was as addicted to riding then as I am now...good on him!

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-21st-nz.jpg
    Last edited by Switchback Bikes; 02-18-2015 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Attached a Pic

I would love to do that....big investment, so not gonna happen soon, but definitely on the radar
    I assume this would require convincing Caribou to design a completely new frame and have it tested, right?

mtbr member
    I assume this would require convincing Caribou to design a completely new frame and have it tested, right?
    The only convincing they need is to see big $$

There is a cost associated w/ designing a new frame, and big costs with creating sample frames from the ground up because of all the CNC work involved...the per frame price for sample/prototype frames would be similar to me paying retail for a TallboyA or RIP9 frame.

Then you move to the MOQs required for a production run once you have tested out the sample/prototype frames....it's a huge undertaking via the amount of labor, time, and $$ that is needed to make it happen.

If someone has six-figures burning a hole in their pocket that they would like to invest in a bike company, give me a holler

Thats more or less what Carver did with ICB (that Stefan Stark helped design). Though I don't think it was a value oriented frame like what Switchback is currently offering.

Short-Change-Hero

Ok which one of you guys in CO just sold your shock on eBay?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hi There, I have just bought myself a HammerHead 130x Frame from Stuart from Blue Flow Bikes in Nottingham UK, and cant wait to get started building it up.
    I have been reading the various threads on here about these frames, and saw that some of you have had main pivot bearing failures, and some have talked about cutting the main pivot bolt down by about 1mm. Also people have mentioned that they are missing part 9 from off the exploded diagram. Although I have not pulled my frame down yet, I would guess that part 9 is a grub screw that threads up the inside of the main pivot bolt, so that the fixing bolts screws up and locks up against it, this then means the pivot is tight but the bearings have not got too much preload on them. It's just an educated guess. I will find out for sure as soon as I start work on the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MontesaMan View Post
    Hi There, I have just bought myself a HammerHead 130x Frame from Stuart from Blue Flow Bikes in Nottingham UK, and cant wait to get started building it up.
    I have been reading the various threads on here about these frames, and saw that some of you have had main pivot bearing failures, and some have talked about cutting the main pivot bolt down by about 1mm. Also people have mentioned that they are missing part 9 from off the exploded diagram. Although I have not pulled my frame down yet, I would guess that part 9 is a grub screw that threads up the inside of the main pivot bolt, so that the fixing bolts screws up and locks up against it, this then means the pivot is tight but the bearings have not got too much preload on them. It's just an educated guess. I will find out for sure as soon as I start work on the frame.
    Great to have another 130x rocking in The UK!

Sounds good

mtbr member

ThumperB Pics

I came across these the other day....it was our first sample/prototype Thumper 650b (Unveil7) frame....We hoped to introduce it as the next Hammerhead model hence the ThumperB name. Thought y'all would like to see.

Got it back in the Fall of 2012. It will be awesome if we can finally pull off production on these frames as the Switchback Unveil7, they ride sooooo good

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-thump650-sm1.jpg

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-thump650-sm2.jpg

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-thump650-sm3.jpg

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-thump650-sm4.jpg

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-thump650-sm5.jpg

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-thump650-sm9.jpg

Post your Hammerhead / Switchback-thump650-sm10.jpg

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MontesaMan View Post
    This is interesting.
    I checked the main pivot pin with a flashlight and sure enough there is a screw inside the screw! The little set/grub screw inside the main pivot pin has a 3mm hex head.

Is the correct way of adjusting the main pivot this:
    1. Back of the set srew
    2. Tighten to pivot, just enough that there is no play
    3. Tighten the set screw?

mtbr member

Is the correct way of adjusting the main pivot this:
    1. Back of the set srew
    2. Tighten to pivot, just enough that there is no play
    3. Tighten the set screw?
    That should do the job

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    This is interesting.
    I checked the main pivot pin with a flashlight and sure enough there is a screw inside the screw! The little set/grub screw inside the main pivot pin has a 3mm hex head.
    Many thanks KnuutV for checking this out.

Looking at the exploded diagram, I thought it was set up like this. Its was something similar that we did on early RC Model Motorbikes, it allowed us to have a fully tight front axle but kept enough tension off the bottom of the fork legs to prevent excessive stiction.
    Setting up the pivot on the swing arm is tricky, not too much compression of the bearings, to cause damage, but not too little as to create play.

Thanks Scott, Stuart at Blue Flow bikes seems to be doing a good job for you.
    I can't wait to be 'rocking it' on the new steed!!

mtbr member
    Stuart has been doing an incredible job! Pumped to have him on board

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    @carpio77b no I have not gotten the McLeod yet but plan to in a few weeks when I am back from traveling for work. Whether or not it will be better then the Fox or not I have no clue but at the price I am seeing it would be almost the same cost to have PUSH or Avalanche tune the fox for me. From my understanding of the Manitou IPA platform it is basically a 4 setting version of CTD with two Trail settings. All settings can have rebound added.

Then you understood it completely wrong :-p
    Ctd is some strange shitty special valving for oedalling in contrast to x fusions or from manitou used real comptession damping which is altered through the different stages.found a small review of a shop owner who ordered two extra mcleods for his test bikes after testing it himself.says best air shock ever ridden.as mattoc and deville high quality hisghsoeed circuits, especcially rebound which lets the shock stick to the ground and works better at highspeed than the ccdb inline.no spiking.neg air chamber seems to be improved over all former manitou designs too.so exceot the smaller amount of different external settings it seems to exceed the Inline and others.besides I talked to manitou and they said they'd soon release shim kits so you can easily tune it yourself for your needs.
    I'm gonna buy it or avy my x fusion o2 rlx.difficult choice.i'll order it anyway and try it :-)

Short-Change-Hero

Nice and I know that the Tower and Minute can have the shim stacks changed to meet your needs. Look at the shim stack thread for the ABS+, if that is any indicator the shim stack tune kits will be awesome.

Plan is that I am going to buy mine in the next week or so and then play with it. Read a pretty good review in the most recent BIBLE OF TEST BIKES from Bike mag and the Mattoc was mentioned in there as "....not yet making a 29' version." So hopefully at interview or sea otter they will release something.

Short-Change-Hero
    Well just placed the order for the McLeod in the 190x50.... after having a few emails going back and forth with Manitou they only come in one setup and that is what they call their Trail/AM shim stack. If this truly is a shim stack setup like the Tower/Minute/etc then they are INCREDIBLY tunable. I even paid the extra $20 from CRC to have it here in 2-4 business days (since regular shipping was free and was 4-8 business days). I put in my two cents with the Manitou tech I was emailing back and forth with and told him that I REALLY hope they go forward and make a 29er version of the Mattoc. I am not sure if it was just an honest slip but I had started off the email chain with a question regarding the difference between the Minute and Marvel as everything internally seemed the same according to their spec sheet and I was looking for the best AM/Trail fork I could get. The first response said that his pick would be the Mattoc and then the Minute as the Minute was the more AM friendly between it and the Marvel. When I responded asking if they were making the Mattoc in a 29er now, he just said, sorry the Mattoc currently only available in 27.5 or 26.

Here's to hoping, but the Revelation is doing great and I was able to get in contact with RS and query what exactly my Rev was based on the serial number, it is a 2012 RL Dual Air according to their records.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Switchback Unveil 9

Here's mine - Loving it!!!!!!!!

Supplied by Stuart at Blue Flow Bikes UK

Full spec:

Frame: Switchback Unveil 9, Large, black ano.
    Fork: 2015 RockShox Revelation RL 140mm QR15
    Headset: Hope Pic n Mix
    Stem: Thomson 70mm
    Seatpost: RockShox Reverb
    Seat: Ritchey WCS Marathon
    Bars: Easton Haven Carbon
    Shifter: XT
    Brakes: Shimano XT with Uberbike, 180 Front Rotor, 160 Rear
    Grips: ODI
    Rear D: XT Clutch with OneUp RADr Cage
    Front D: Superstar blanking plate
    Chain: KMC X10