Pivot sizing- Mtbr.com

Thread: Pivot sizing

mtbr member

Pivot sizing

does anyone know the recommended height/inseam range for the pivot mach 5?
    i am 5'6 with 31-32" true inseam.

Not just famous; infamous

Small

I'd go with a small at your height, the XS would be too small IMO. I'm about 5'10" (32" pants inseam) and feel comfortably stretched out on a medium with a 100mm stem.

mtbr member
    oh i didnt realize they made an XS. I am thinking small also. how do you like the ride?

Not just famous; infamous
    Quote Originally Posted by fishercat
    how do you like the ride?
    I have really limited ride time (we're in the middle of moving right now), but so far, so good. So far, it pedals really well and sucks up stuff at speed. I'm looking forward to giving it a good thrashing once we're settled in at home.

mtbr member
    my lbs has them in stock. i currently ride a 2001 tracer which i really like but am being very tempted by that Mach 5. it would go perfect with my RS Revelation fork i think.

www.derbyrims.com
    my lbs has them in stock. i currently ride a 2001 tracer which i really like but am being very tempted by that Mach 5. it would go perfect with my RS Revelation fork i think.
    Ex-Tracer rider here. Test riding many of the newer bikes over the years I never found a bike I liked better in every way in performance characteristics before the Mojo and now the Pivot Mach 5 - fully active high traction suspension not needing a platform shocks to pedal very well, light, balanced handling and braking, and with topped off with high quality fit and finish. And the Mach 5 has a relatively high BB height with superior pedaling clearance about the same as the Tracer without being too high and unstable.

The Mach 5's top tubes are on the longer end of the range of common bike fit. While I was best fit on a large Tracer the medium Mach 5 handles with similar quickness. So I'd guess you'd probably go down one size from your Tracer to the Mach 5.

For steep downhill, higher speeds, and bigger obstacle drop offs, a 140mm fork would match better than a 130mm travel Revelation. The Revelation would definitely climb easier than a 140 fork. A adjustable height type 140 fork to lower 10 to 15mm easily while riding changing trail conditions like the Pike U-turn would be ideal on the Mach 5.

mtbr member

Ditto on the one size down

I am about your height and the small fits quite good. On the Mojo though I ride a medium. I compared geometry on the medium Mach 5 and that would have been a bit too big for me. I asked my lbs for a confirm on the frame size and they also suggested a small. It appears Derby follows similar likes and is a DW link convert?

mtbr member
    funny. i ride a small tracer but when i checked out the small mach5 at lbs it seemed really small. i think because the tracer is tall. my seat tube c-t is 18" on the tracer. i tried the medium mach 5 and it seemed to fit better but definitely not perfect. i would have to run a really small stem.

www.derbyrims.com
    funny. i ride a small tracer but when i checked out the small mach5 at lbs it seemed really small. i think because the tracer is tall. my seat tube c-t is 18" on the tracer. i tried the medium mach 5 and it seemed to fit better but definitely not perfect. i would have to run a really small stem.
    Yes my large size Tracer had a 24 inch effective top tube (horizontal from steer-tube to seat tube at top of head tube). My large size Mojo is 23.6 but feels fine with the slacker 69 steering angle (Mach 5 is also 69 steering angle). The Mach 5 is 24.4 in a large as I recall and has a seat post angle of 72 like the Tracer in long wheelbase/4inch travel setting (Mojo is 73' seat tube angle). I liked the medium fit Pivot for quicker handling.

And I liked the dw-link after the more aggressive Intense version of the horst link used on the Tracer and other Intense HL models. The dw-link has no discernable kickback to me in the lowest granny gears compared to the small amount I noticed hitting sharp rocks with the Tracer in the lowest 2 granny gears. And the 5.5 inch dw-link squats even less while climbing and also pedal bob's less than the shorter travel Tracer. The Mach 5 dw-link is just as smooth but firmer compressing than the Mojo using the same shock, probably due to a more linear wheel rate than the Mojo's very rising rate through most travel.

Horst links and monopivots get pretty much dependant on relatively dead (stiff) feeling platform shocks as travel goes greater than 4 inches. I like livelier (smooth) very active suspension without over damping platform compromises. I didn't like any VPP enough from Blur to 6.6 to drop the Tracer for my riding interests, I felt too much pedal stall and jack but most others don't notice it. The VPP possibly could be designed even better pedaling than any dw-link if they could make the axle path curve very forward just under sag, because the VPP's shallow travel sharp hit bump compliance is smoother than a dw-link, more like a very low monopivot of concentric BB pivot, but ramps up in stiffness that jacks the pedal feedback too much for me. I prefer the dw-link best now, it feels like a very improved horst link.

A combination of VPP path in shallow travel converting to dw-link path in medium to deep travel might be ideal to me, but I'd have to ride such a beast to really know if the feedback would be more noticeable than the current dw-link.

mtbr member
    my tracer is set up with a pushed float rear shock and a RS Revelation set at 110mm up front. I demoed an Intense 5.5 and it felt a bit harsh to me. tho it was very fast...i have my eye on a mach 5 but will probably be on the tracer another season as i cant quite cough up 2K for a frame right now. i wonder how the 110mm fork changes the head angle on the tracer?

Members who have read this thread: 0