Pivot Porn- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 54 of 54

Thread: Pivot Porn

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: supermoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    515

    Pivot Porn

    I know when we were waiting for our frames we checked this board regularly for any Pivot pix. Well, they came and here are some pix of our new Mach 5's. Riding is believing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Not just famous; infamous
    Reputation: coolhandluchs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,069
    Very nice, 2 questions:

    What's the black fork? A 55 ETA?
    What's the BB height on those bikes?

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    375
    Wow, nice...I have a motolite and a racer-x, just wondering if you can compare it to one of the Titus bikes for sake of enlightenment? All I have heard is that they feel less plush, as in an inch less travel than they really have. They tend to look a little busier too, but I hear good stuff on the DW link, and apparently Chris C was looking for a snappier feel. How do you like them?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    265

    any weights?

    they look V nice.
    can't find any weights?
    can someone post a few weights as the pivot site has no info on them.
    what is the lightest we can get the xtr build down too.

    thanks

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: supermoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    515
    Actually these bike replace our '99 vintage motolites that we rode hard for 8 years. We loved the motos but the pivots are a huge step up. The pedaling platform is amazing as there is no noticeable bob even with propedal turned off. The DW link really does round off the squared edged hits, where the motolite used to lose momentum. We too had heard the "less plush" rumor but our fears were put to rest. The bike sucks up everything on the descent and seems to almost disappear from under you. Its not like the motolite plush which I liken to a nice overstuffed sofa; feels good until its time to get out of it.

    We built ours up burly because we like to ride sick trails, like goatcamp, old man and alta if you know Phoenix at all. Yes thats a 55ETA. Our wheels are kind of heavy too. Still got them to come in under 30 lb. The XT demo with a fox talas weighed in at around 27, I think. They feel light and they are a joy to get off the ground. Not sure about BB height but I think thats on the website. As far as looking busy, maybe I'm still in the honeymoon stage, but I think those linkages are beautiful!

  6. #6
    No, that's not phonetic
    Reputation: tscheezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,313
    Quote Originally Posted by supermoto
    We built ours up burly because we like to ride sick trails, like goatcamp
    That's a burly trail fo sho.

    [/QUOTE]
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: supermoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    515
    nice shots. I can only aspire to riding like Richard!

  8. #8
    wrecking crew
    Reputation: su.ling~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,392
    Great shots, C!!! The bikes are beeeaoooootiful! The color rocks too!
    ~~~

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,382
    Nice run ts, where is that rail, would like to check it out!

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    227

    spy v spy

    I like the detail on the white(clear ano) versus the black on the components.

    The good old orange fork gets the foster kid treatment though. Always show the love when in your possesion. How does it feel on the new bike?

    You guys up to try them out on BCT 3/2? Trail day 3/1 and let's see how they do the next day, you can just camp out to avoid the driving....

    Let's bring them to to NRA

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,974
    I like what I have seen so far on the Pivots. I think for people looking for a durable, stiff, and fast-pedaling 5" bike, this one will be very hard to beat. Plush lovers will probably be a bit dissapointed but this one is made to be fast and firm with enough travel to be an all-day bike. I have to ride one soon but it will probably be a while before we see any demo Pivots in Colorado.

    Nice trail too- the kind where armor may just pay off someday. Those rocks are a bit jagged.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,974
    Just checked-

    13.85" BB height with a 140mm fork and 13.5 with a 120mm fork. Pretty high BB height for a 5" bike- helps with clearance but will feel a bit tall. I wish the HA was a bit slacker to compensate (69/70) but overall, the geometry may work very well.

    What I do not know is what the wheelbase is like- a pretty critical measurement. A demo ride on one set up properly will be fun.

  13. #13
    Not just famous; infamous
    Reputation: coolhandluchs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    13.85" BB height with a 140mm fork and 13.5 with a 120mm fork

    What I do not know is what the wheelbase is like- a pretty critical measurement. A demo ride on one set up properly will be fun.
    Yup, tall BB, which is why I was wondering what the actual BB height was with the 55 on it. (One of the forks I'm looking at for my next bike) Doing a quick 'n dirty measurement in Illustrator on the 2nd pic, I got a BB height of about 14 3/8"...total guestimate though.

    The wheelbase runs about 43 3/8 - 43 1/2" for a medium with a 140mm Fox 32 fork on the front (checked with a tape measure, not super accurate). It seems like the Mach 5 will be very good tight, techy terrain bike. Comparing bikes, with the same fork, the 5 Spot has a 13.6" BB height and a 43.8" wheelbase (from Turner's site), so basically the Mach 5's only about a 1/4" taller and about a 1/2" shorter. At this point, I think I'll stop splitting hairs and wait for a demo ride.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    A demo ride on one set up properly will be fun.
    Agreed, I'm waiting for the demos to be available. The shortish wheel base and tall BB have me wondering about what they're like at speed. Can't wait to find out...
    Last edited by coolhandluchs; 02-25-2008 at 05:03 PM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,974
    Wow, that is a great setup for tight and rocky terrain. However, with that wheelbase and a high BB, I'd prefer a slightly slacker headtube angle (68.5) on paper. I do not like tall/twitchy bikes in steep/rocky stuff. The potential of an endo goes up really fast. I will say that Chris C. knows bike design so I'll save my judgement till I actually ride one.

    coolhandluchs- if you hear of a shop here around Denver that has a demo, please PM me. I'll do the same.

    Unrelated but I am looking forward to another Kenosha ride this year

  15. #15
    No, that's not phonetic
    Reputation: tscheezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,313
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    Nice run ts, where is that rail, would like to check it out!
    Linky
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluchs
    Yup, tall BB, which is why I was wondering what the actual BB height was with the 55 on it. (One of the forks I'm looking at for my next bike) Doing a quick 'n dirty measurement in Illustrator on the 2nd pic, I got a BB height of about 14 3/8"...total guestimate though.

    The wheelbase runs about 43 3/8 - 43 1/2" for a medium with a 140mm Fox 32 fork on the front (checked with a tape measure, not super accurate). It seems like the Mach 5 will be very good tight, techy terrain bike. Comparing bikes, with the same fork, the 5 Spot has a 13.6" BB height and a 43.8" wheelbase (from Turner's site), so basically the Mach 5's only about a 1/4" taller and about a 1/2" shorter. At this point, I think I'll stop splitting hairs and wait for a demo ride.

    Agreed, I'm waiting for the demos to be available. The shortish wheel base and tall BB have me wondering about what they're like at speed. Can't wait to find out...

    Sports Garage in Boulder and Wheatridge in Denver both have demos in stock.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EGF168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,418
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    That's a burly trail fo sho.

    [/quote]

    Blimey! No wonder you guys need thru axles and Shadow RDís.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,974
    Thanks! You must be well connected or an industry insider to know that

    I appreciate the info and will arrange a demo ride as soon as the demo trails near Wheatridge Cyclery are rideable. I'll call them and find out.

  19. #19

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    165
    Nice looking bikes. Hopefully we will have more shops in the PHX area carrying them real soon! I wonder if they are planning a demo day on SoMo?!

  20. #20
    mnt bike laws of physics
    Reputation: yogiprophet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Just checked-

    13.85" BB height with a 140mm fork and 13.5 with a 120mm fork. Pretty high BB height for a 5" bike- helps with clearance but will feel a bit tall. I wish the HA was a bit slacker to compensate (69/70) but overall, the geometry may work very well.

    What I do not know is what the wheelbase is like- a pretty critical measurement. A demo ride on one set up properly will be fun.
    I am looking at the Large ( I really need an XL) and was told the wheelbase is 43 5/8" with a 140mm Fox. It is one of the most important measurments I think since others can be manipulated somewhat. It's a little short for my taste. My ride now is 45.5" and it is perfect. Would be hard to justify going smaller since I already rail the tight stuff like a scared jackrabbit. But the dw-link is the deal.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,974
    That does seem to be a really short wheelbase, doesn't it? I believe tscheezy demoed one at IB but the shock setup was not ideal at the time or just ended up being too firm. I have to find his review again. I believe this is being addressed though.

    Even that brand new SC Blur LT has a really short wheelbase but the Mach 5 has such a high BB as well. I gotta say I'm expecting a slightly nervous bike at these numbers. The DWL isn't worth that though it all remains to be seen. Quite honestly, I wish the HA was a half degree slacker and the WB a half inch longer at that BB height or even a slightly lower BB height with current WB/HA would be fine.

    Well, I'm done guessing. I'll probably just annoy someone who is really digging these numbers

  22. #22
    Not just famous; infamous
    Reputation: coolhandluchs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    I am looking at the Large ( I really need an XL) and was told the wheelbase is 43 5/8" with a 140mm Fox. My ride now is 45.5" and it is perfect.
    They gave you the wheelbase for a medium. The large should be about an inch longer (~44.5"), so still an inch less than you're looking for. The Mach 5's definitely a racy, responsive handling bike. The BB height and wheelbase both contribute to that feeling.

    Flyer, if you decide to demo one, PM me, maybe we can split the cost of the demo. It'd be nice to ride Kenosha with some suspension this year.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,974
    Sounds good to me, coolhands. I'll keep you informed.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: supermoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    515

    and one more.......

    Spring comes early here......
    Attached Images Attached Images

  25. #25
    www.derbyrims.com
    Reputation: derby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,764
    Luv the Mach-5 BB height. The too low BB height for 5.5 inch travel is the only thing I don’t like about my Mojo.
    Last edited by derby; 02-29-2008 at 09:43 PM.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seandm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTracer
    Nice looking bikes. Hopefully we will have more shops in the PHX area carrying them real soon! I wonder if they are planning a demo day on SoMo?!
    I got mine at Focus in gilbert after checking them out at SMC in phoenix. The BB height is what attracted me to the bike. My mojo would hit just about every rock i tried to ride over.

  27. #27
    IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,598
    Anyone heard anything from either Chris C. or Dave W. about if/when we can expect a 6" travel bike from Pivot?

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: intensworks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    129

    Some More Mach 5 Porn

    A glimpse of my latest and greatest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: supermoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    515

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    216
    don't quote me on this as it might be something i picked up in the play ground but hang about until interbike this year and you'll be all happy

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I like what I have seen so far on the Pivots. I think for people looking for a durable, stiff, and fast-pedaling 5" bike, this one will be very hard to beat. Plush lovers will probably be a bit dissapointed but this one is made to be fast and firm with enough travel to be an all-day bike. I have to ride one soon but it will probably be a while before we see any demo Pivots in Colorado.

    Nice trail too- the kind where armor may just pay off someday. Those rocks are a bit jagged.
    spent the afternoon on this at fftf
    Attached Images Attached Images

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    41

    First ride on the Mach 5

    I just put the first ride on my Mach 5. So far, so good. I posted a review in any prospective buyers are interested in reading. I am definitely looking forward to getting things dialed in but I have to say it rode really well on it's maiden voyage. The DW link is truly amazing in its ability to isolate pedaling influence from trail input. I rode a fairly technical trail and never even considered throwing the platform switch on. Here's a photo of my ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    58
    sooo.....is there a way to run a chain tensioner system like the E13 DRS? ...given that the BB is pressed in. Is there ISCG mount?

  34. #34

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    227

    chain guide?

    Quote Originally Posted by oister
    sooo.....is there a way to run a chain tensioner system like the E13 DRS? ...given that the BB is pressed in. Is there ISCG mount?
    I took my DRS off my Reign X and replaced it with a www.ronniering.com no drag, no lost chain, no smashed DRS..... Tell Ronnie thanks. I run SoMo, 24th ST, Geronimo, Alta, Viejo, National, Holbert and have not had an inkling of trouble.

  35. #35
    Not just famous; infamous
    Reputation: coolhandluchs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,069

    No chain guide

    There are no ISCG tabs, and since the chainrings overlap the BB shell, you can't sandwich a mounting plate between the BB shell and cups, (eg Blackspire Stinger, Heim, etc.)



    Folks that want to use a typical chainguide are SOL with the new BB system, which is kind of a pity, cuz I think the Mach 5 would make a great Super D bike. It'd be nice to be able to run a DRS or a Stinger/Heim on it for racing.

  36. #36

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    227

    You don't need that crap on your bike.....

    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluchs
    There are no ISCG tabs, and since the chainrings overlap the BB shell, you can't sandwich a mounting plate between the BB shell and cups, (eg Blackspire Stinger, Heim, etc.)



    Folks that want to use a typical chainguide are SOL with the new BB system, which is kind of a pity, cuz I think the Mach 5 would make a great Super D bike. It'd be nice to be able to run a DRS or a Stinger/Heim on it for racing.

    https://ronniering.com/photo4.html

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: supermoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    515
    second that Mhykelle, the ronniering works great and doesnt add a lot of useless weight to light n/ fast Mach 5.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DaveX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    580
    6 Days until my new Mach 5 arrives. Can not wait!

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ski-U-Mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveX
    6 Days until my new Mach 5 arrives. Can not wait!
    Congrats. Post up your impressions vs the Motolite after you've had a chance to get a few rides in. This bike intrigues me.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DaveX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski-U-Mah
    Congrats. Post up your impressions vs the Motolite after you've had a chance to get a few rides in. This bike intrigues me.
    I look foward to doing just that.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    764
    How are the weights and ride on the Mach 4? Just curious, very early stages of building a new XC bike.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

  42. #42
    Not just famous; infamous
    Reputation: coolhandluchs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,069
    A few gratuitous pix from this weekend. I was having too much fun, so these are the only pictures I got...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,974
    Very nice! That is a really good blue. Which trail is that, by the way?

  44. #44
    Not just famous; infamous
    Reputation: coolhandluchs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Very nice! That is a really good blue. Which trail is that, by the way?
    The blue's much nicer in person, it always looks lighter in photos. The 1st pic is the top of Alderfer (Mt. Evans in the background), the 2nd is one of the lower 3 Sisters trails. The Evergreen trails were a little crowded, but everybody had a mellow vibe. I think they were just happy to be outside on a 3-day weekend. I'm just happy to finally be able to get out and ride!

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DaveX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    580
    Just a few more hours until I finally get to ride my Mach 5!






  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: edbraunbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    482
    DaveX,

    Awesome looking bike!! I'm anxious to hear your reivew. Have you weighed it yet?

    Congrats,

    ED

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cycle progression's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by el rob
    Sports Garage in Boulder and Wheatridge in Denver both have demos in stock.
    the pivot site has a list of demos they are putting on around the country. they are hauling around the full line up in all sizes including the 429. we are hosting one in austin on june 29. the build quality is second to none.
    alex

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,747

    Cycle Progression delivers! Mach 5 AM





    This thing rails! I was a bit concerned about putting the 36 Van on the front, but Alex at
    Cycle Progression (512) 447-7764 allowed me to take one of his showroom Pivots and swap
    my fork onto it and test ride it prior to buying. Now, I've known and ridden with Alex for years,
    so this was totally special "buddy" treatment, but I can attest that I think the bike handles
    GREAT! Granted, I came from a Quasimoto that was even more choppered out by that 36,
    so the Pivot geometry settled it down a bit and it really carves the trails.

    -- Evil Patrick

    Some of my Music

    My Videos

    The trail...shall set you free.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    286
    Ah, so you're the guy that picked up that Mach5 that I went in to look at Sunday... Congrats on the purchase, I'm looking to join those ranks soon. If you get a chance could you post up your review of the Austin trails that I'm assuming you took it on? I'd be interested in how it did.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cycle progression's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by lost27
    Ah, so you're the guy that picked up that Mach5 that I went in to look at Sunday... Congrats on the purchase, I'm looking to join those ranks soon. If you get a chance could you post up your review of the Austin trails that I'm assuming you took it on? I'd be interested in how it did.
    who is this? 2 guys looking at pivots came in just as i got back from the ride with pat on his.
    i have more on the way!

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    286
    I was the second guy with the Iron Horse on the back of his truck. Thanks again for taking the time to talk shop about the Pivot btw.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick




    This thing rails! I was a bit concerned about putting the 36 Van on the front, but Alex at
    Cycle Progression (512) 447-7764 allowed me to take one of his showroom Pivots and swap
    my fork onto it and test ride it prior to buying. Now, I've known and ridden with Alex for years,
    so this was totally special "buddy" treatment, but I can attest that I think the bike handles
    GREAT! Granted, I came from a Quasimoto that was even more choppered out by that 36,
    so the Pivot geometry settled it down a bit and it really carves the trails.

    Pat,

    Nice to see you're completely dissatisfied with your new purchase, as usual!


  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,541
    Quote Originally Posted by cycle progression
    who is this? 2 guys looking at pivots came in just as i got back from the ride with pat on his.
    i have more on the way!
    Good to see those things getting on the trails - if you can sell Pat, you can sell anyone.


  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cycle progression's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr
    Good to see those things getting on the trails - if you can sell Pat, you can sell anyone.

    it was all pat, he showed up knowing what he wanted. i just had it here waiting for him!

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.