Pike Coil vs. Air- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Pike Coil vs. Air

Hey I am looking to upgrade my XCL to either a 454 coil or a 426 air. The coil would be slightly cheaper. I weigh about 190 lbs with gear. My riding is mostly rooty rocky areas and I'm starting to ride some drops. Which would be better? Also how does the coil feel as far as blowing through the travel on jumps and such?

mtbr member
    I'd go with the coil. I've never had the air, but my 426 has been bulletproof and it's great on jumps and drops. If you put the right spring in, you shouldn't have trouble with it blowing through travel.
    If you look at posts concerning malfunctioning forks around here, regardless of manufacturer, you'll see that the VAST majority of them concern air sprung forks. IMO, if you're going to beat on your fork, or shock for that matter, go coil.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcantrell
    Hey I am looking to upgrade my XCL to either a 454 coil or a 426 air. The coil would be slightly cheaper. I weigh about 190 lbs with gear. My riding is mostly rooty rocky areas and I'm starting to ride some drops. Which would be better? Also how does the coil feel as far as blowing through the travel on jumps and such?
    I've got the coil 454 on my XCL. At first, I was very hesitant about the coil fork, having only used a Talas air in the past on other bikes. After 6 months of riding, I'll probably never own an air fork again. The 454 coil soaks up everything and feels incredibly plush, yet has good resistance for the big impacts. When I ride the Talas air now, I feel a lot more of the trail hack through the bars than with the 454. I've tried messing with the Talas air to soften up the ride, but can't replicate the feel of the 454 coil.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    I have a Pike 454 Dual Air and could not be happier. I've had mine about a year now w/out any problems. I think air shock technology has come a long way. Super dependable and ultra adjustable. I love my air fork and I weigh 225 and beat the crap out of it.

Members who have read this thread: 0