Pics of VF2 from Del Cerro Ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pics of VF2 from Del Cerro Ride

Took these pics from an after-work ride today. This VF2 weighs about 27lbs. - size medium with XTR drivetrain and Fox RP23 with Fox Float RLC upfront. The handling was spot-on - basically point and shoot. The lighter weight definitely helped out with the climbs - and good pedaling efficiency with or without propedal on. The Fox fork felt buttery, although I did feel there could be added torsional stiffness up front. Usually my trailbikes are about 30+ lbs. and I usually run a 20mm up front. I hope to swap out the front fork for a Lyrik Coil U-Turn and the rear shock with a CCDB and provide a report.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Looks very nice, 27lbs is superlight. This is coming from a 33lb EVO owner though. What tire combo were using 2.3 Neve, and Ignitor out back?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by nojoke
    Looks very nice, 27lbs is superlight. This is coming from a 33lb EVO owner though. What tire combo were using 2.3 Neve, and Ignitor out back?
    Yup, 2.35 Nevegal in the front - in the rear a WTB Motoraptor - I like the Kenda for sure, nice and grippy - not sure about the Motoraptor -

Also running a 90mm Thomson Stem and seatpost - FSA Gravity Carbon bar -

I had a 35lb. EVO for a long time also - climbing is definitely easier on this bike - although you do need to pick your lines more carefully on the way down - but we'll see how it goes with the new shocks (Lyrik and CCDB). Overall, this is a really fun bike!

Proud bike-o-holic
    If this is a 27 lbs bike, why did you sent a 29 lbs built to MBA Action?

Also, I donīt understand if this is supposed to be a race light XC bike, why do you install 2.3 tires on it? isnīt the XCL what itīs for?

And finally, Iīm having a hard time believing this bike weights 27 lbs. because mine is at 27.1 lbs and has 2.1 highrollers non ust with no tubes (570 grs claimed weight, but the nevegals in this same size are at 620) and a lighter saddle.

Proud bike-o-holic
    From Jenson:

26" x 2.35 DTC

TPI: 120
    PSI: 30-50
    Weight(claimed): 698 g
    26" x 2.35 Stick-E
    TPI: 60
    PSI: 30-50
    Weight(claimed): 763 g

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My RP23 equipped XCL comes in at 27.1 lbs. I would expect a VF2 with XTR/Fox Float components to be ~ 26lbs. What are you running for wheels?

Mark

Proud bike-o-holic
    My wheels are XT, so they are pretty light.
    Right now the components are mainly XT, Iīm upgrading to XTR in a few weeks.
    And I agree with you, a VF2 should be at +/- 26 lbs. So why was the one sent to be tested to MBA action at 29 lbs?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Marco
    If this is a 27 lbs bike, why did you sent a 29 lbs built to MBA Action?

Also, I donīt understand if this is supposed to be a race light XC bike, why do you install 2.3 tires on it? isnīt the XCL what itīs for?

And finally, Iīm having a hard time believing this bike weights 27 lbs. because mine is at 27.1 lbs and has 2.1 highrollers non ust with no tubes (570 grs claimed weight, but the nevegals in this same size are at 620) and a lighter saddle.
    Yea - we probably would've got a different review if we used some different component specs on it in hindsight. I think the more I ride this bike, the more I think it can be a really great trail bike rather than a race bike - yes - there is definitely some overlap with the XCL - but still enough differentiation to go either way.

As for weight - sometimes different sizes from different manufacturers will have varying comparative weights. I'm not positive on this, but my experience has been that Maxxis might be a bit heavier than other brands, maybe someone else can confirm.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Marco
    My wheels are XT, so they are pretty light.
    Right now the components are mainly XT, Iīm upgrading to XTR in a few weeks.
    And I agree with you, a VF2 should be at +/- 26 lbs. So why was the one sent to be tested to MBA action at 29 lbs?
    Yea - I think most of your weight is coming from XT wheelset. You could probably lose over half a lb. there going to something like a Chris King hubset and Stan's rims. I wish we built up the VF2 lighter for the review - most of the weight on that bike came from the tires, handblebars, wheels - none of that stuff was really light. I am checking right now with Jimmy Mac if it's possible to do a follow-up review with one spec'ed with different suspension components and other parts.

mtbr member
    Looks sick. I really don't understand how people could think a vf2 is a race bike at all; is it the carbon rear end? The 69 degree head angle, 5" rear travel, & 44" wheelbase make it sound like the perfect trail bike to me. Stiff and responsive climbing, while still retaining great downhill geometry when the mountain points down. I guess mine's a porker - 29lb flat. Meh, it's a trail bike anyway.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    Looks sick. I really don't understand how people could think a vf2 is a race bike at all; is it the carbon rear end? The 69 degree head angle, 5" rear travel, & 44" wheelbase make it sound like the perfect trail bike to me. Stiff and responsive climbing, while still retaining great downhill geometry when the mountain points down. I guess mine's a porker - 29lb flat. Meh, it's a trail bike anyway.
    Yea - I agree - I think a lot of it was just perception issues that we may have inadvertently created by building it up with a 120mm fork early on - but really, almost everyone who rides it uses a 140 or 150 inch fork - so it's starting to head more into aggressive AM territory - rightly so imo.

Compulsive Bike Builder
    Hubba.

I put a 120mm on my Racer XCL. It climbed well but made the bike nervous in many situations. Or maybe I was nervous. Just lowering the front end does not proper race geometry make. But a variable travel fork would be the way to go on this bike. And the new Talas forks have trimmed off a few grams for '10.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    Yup, 2.35 Nevegal in the front - in the rear a WTB Motoraptor - I like the Kenda for sure, nice and grippy - not sure about the Motoraptor -

I cant speak for your combo, but I run the somewhat same combo on my EVO 2.35 neve, and I run a WTB Prowler XT 2.3 on the back. I havent really found a place the tire doesnt excel except deep mud/mud bogs....You can run it at 40psi, and it hooks up hard on about everything. Climbs wet roots, rocks etc.... Only drawback is weight, which is comes in it at about 850g, but who cares.

Im leaning towards a trail/aggressive AM setup next, I may entertain this bike with a Talas 36RC2 on it.......that would be interesting

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by nojoke
    I cant speak for your combo, but I run the somewhat same combo on my EVO 2.35 neve, and I run a WTB Prowler XT 2.3 on the back. I havent really found a place the tire doesnt excel except deep mud/mud bogs....You can run it at 40psi, and it hooks up hard on about everything. Climbs wet roots, rocks etc.... Only drawback is weight, which is comes in it at about 850g, but who cares.

Im leaning towards a trail/aggressive AM setup next, I may entertain this bike with a Talas 36RC2 on it.......that would be interesting
    36RC2 up front with a CCDB on a VF2 could be built under 30lbs. - could be a really fun bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0