Pearl Shock..- Mtbr.com

Thread: Pearl Shock..

mtbr member

Pearl Shock..

We're gonna test it out this weekend, anyone have any thoughts on it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Trophy Husband
    Any thoughts...well, if were my bike, I'd rip it off of there ASAP!

From what I've gathered it has an excellent pedalling platform...something I hate. Really, I'd prefer you test out the ROCO air. No platform, just plushy goodness.

word!
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Any thoughts...well, if were my bike, I'd rip it off of there ASAP!

From what I've gathered it has an excellent pedalling platform...something I hate. Really, I'd prefer you test out the ROCO air. No platform, just plushy goodness.

word!
    Been trying to get my hands on one of those for awhile now!

mtbr member
    yep, by all reports the rocco's are a pain to find, but they must really be scarce if builders can't even get their hands on them!
    looking forward to the pearl report. I really like my pike, so I'm kind of rooting for SRAM to come through with a quality rear shock as well. not that it matters for me, I've got a double barrel on the way!

Transplant
    Hmm that might be the trick I am looking for to keeping the XCL weight down. Does anyone know weight of DHX Air vs Pearl?

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by ekoostick
    Hmm that might be the trick I am looking for to keeping the XCL weight down. Does anyone know weight of DHX Air vs Pearl?
    I think you save just under half a pound with the Pearl.

Transplant
    Thanks!

QBP has the Roco R Air instock (4 left) in 7.875"x2.0". Is that not the correct shock? Part number RS8284 if anyone wants to order one at their LBS.

mtbr member
    Is the rp23 not a choice?

locked - time out
    Pearl = POOP

Transplant
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink
    Is the rp23 not a choice?
    I believe I read somewhere that the RP23 is not yet available in 7.875"x2.0". Maybe it is now available, I am not sure.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by ekoostick
    I believe I read somewhere that the RP23 is not yet available in 7.875"x2.0". Maybe it is now available, I am not sure.
    Motolites come with RP23's...and they use the same size shock.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Pearl = POOP
    That bad eh? Is it because the pedal platform sacrifices small bump sensitivity?

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    That bad eh? Is it because the pedal platform sacrifices small bump sensitivity?
    Some people really like the pedal platform...in fact, I would guess most do like it. IMO, pedalling platforms do sacrifice small bump sensitivity. I'm not a huge fan of the DHX air either because of the pro pedal (other than that it is a great shock), although the 2008 looks interesting with the new on/off switch.

I don't spend tons of time out of the saddle though and I like an active rear...I know I'm getting the best traction.

Let us know what you think about the Pearl. I don't think the XCL needs the extra "crutch" (read: pedal platform) of the Pearl, but who knows, maybe it rides nice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Some people really like the pedal platform...in fact, I would guess most do like it. IMO, pedalling platforms do sacrifice small bump sensitivity. I'm not a huge fan of the DHX air either because of the pro pedal (other than that it is a great shock), although the 2008 looks interesting with the new on/off switch.

I don't spend tons of time out of the saddle though and I like an active rear...I know I'm getting the best traction.

Let us know what you think about the Pearl. I don't think the XCL needs the extra "crutch" (read: pedal platform) of the Pearl, but who knows, maybe it rides nice.
    PEARL = CONSTIPATED

No, that's not phonetic
    Yeah, I own an MC3.3 and have ridden couple of Pearls. Yuck.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Yeah, I own an MC3.3 and have ridden couple of Pearls. Yuck.
    Just out of curiousity, what don't you like about it?

mtbr member

Well, Ted rode the Pearl this weekend, and he said he felt a lot of stiction...i dunno if it wasn't adjusted properly, not broken in or what, but the jury is still out. I haven't rode it yet, but hopefully I can take it to Big Bear this weekend. But you are right, the XCL doesn't bob much at all, even when your out of the saddle hammering.

A.

Oct 2005
    Not a single person I know or have read about likes them.

Poor damping and spiking, or on the other side of the issue, completely blowing through travel, which I can't get why there would be extremes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    Well, Ted rode the Pearl this weekend, and he said he felt a lot of stiction...i dunno if it wasn't adjusted properly, not broken in or what, but the jury is still out. I haven't rode it yet, but hopefully I can take it to Big Bear this weekend. But you are right, the XCL doesn't bob much at all, even when your out of the saddle hammering.

A.
    What part of constipated did you not understand ?~?

Apr 2007
    I took the pearl shocked gray XCL on a ride today . The shock is braking in. I ran the air a little low because I set it up for my wife. It seemed to work well for me like that. I can see how it would ramp up / spike with the pressure high . The ability lock out the shock let's you run it soft. Then lock it out when you need it to climb. The XCL never needs you to lock it out to climb. So Maybe that feature is not needed.
    I hit some little drops and aimed for some bumps to see what it would do. When it has to it works fine. I liked it with lower air pressure. Lower than the DHX. My wife climbed well on it. She loved the bike . We both gave it a try. The shock rating in my opinion 1-10 10 being best I gave it a 7. Thats not too bad. It wasn't even set up for me. I just had to try it out. I think I need another ride on it. I was looking for problems . I didn't really find any.
    I allways find problems im picky. I will keep my eyes open. Good so far.

Members who have read this thread: 0