Ordered a Dean Duke today- Mtbr.com
    Is my rear tire flat?

Ordered a Dean Duke today

Called and ordered from Tyler and John. They gave me a realistic time of 8 - 12 weeks which is good for me as I have a complete bike I need to sell to make room for the new Duke.
    Orderded a large with disc only set up for hydraulics and 100mm fork.
    Will update when it arrives.
    Cheers
    Liberty Lake Wa.

No good in rock gardens..
    Will be very nice. Not many around either.
    How will you be speccing it?
    Less isn't MOAR

Is my rear tire flat?

Wink Thanks, I am stoked

I will be swapping over all parts from my Ti hardtail which include full XTR Dual Control with hydraulic discs, Fox F100RL, CK headset, Thompson seatpost and Koobi saddle. The Duke should weigh about a quarter to a half a pound more than my hardtail. Weight should be around 22.5 - 23 as my current setup is 22.
    I will update with pics after it arrives.
    Liberty Lake Wa.

mtbr member
    I raced on a Duke 4 seasons. As far as softails go, you'd be hard pressed to do better at that price. It's a way better bike than the YBB and offers "Right Now" acceleration.
    It's a very good bike, the only reason I got rid of it was to move up the the ACE.

The guys at Dean couldn't be nicer but their CS is about as poor as it gets. If they quoted 8-12 weeks, you'll be doing well if you get it in 16 weeks, probably more. I ordered my ACE just after Thanksgiving and got it just in time for the first race of the season in April.

Try not to think about it too often (yeah right). I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.

Best,
    Mark
    "Climbers don't hurt any less than others;
    they're just more comfortable being there."
    "Il Pirata"

Is my rear tire flat?

Ready to ship!

Got the call today, the frame is ready to ship. Way less than the estimated time of 8 - 12 weeks. Now I just have to gather the cash and pay up. Should have it next week sometime I hope. Will post when it arrives....
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbennett
    I will be swapping over all parts from my Ti hardtail which include full XTR Dual Control with hydraulic discs, Fox F100RL, CK headset, Thompson seatpost and Koobi saddle. The Duke should weigh about a quarter to a half a pound more than my hardtail. Weight should be around 22.5 - 23 as my current setup is 22.
    I will update with pics after it arrives.
    Liberty Lake Wa.

Aug 2004
    Cool, I got mine way before the promised date too.

mtbr member
    Cheers
    I own the Duke Xlite CTi and it perfoms very well.
    Just wondering wheter this frame is ready for a 100 mm fork?
    Have you checked the spec. with Tyler or John?

Enjoy your Duke .. ;-))

Not a Barry supporter.
    Called and ordered from Tyler and John. They gave me a realistic time of 8 - 12 weeks which is good for me as I have a complete bike I need to sell to make room for the new Duke.
    Cheers

Hey DLB...where're the pics?! I'm sure you're loving the ride. I wouldn't trade my Ace for anything.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Known Mountainbiker

Waiting.........

I ordered a Colonel SS back in the summer.
    I'm waiting for delivery.
    I'm waiting for a return phone call.
    I'm waiting for a return email.

Waiting........

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by cazloco

Waiting........

Any word yet?? I've heard alot of good things about Dean bikes, but their Customer Service seems to be another story. I've heard some folks say they are impossible to get ahold of, and they sometimes take a long time to finish a frame.

Hopefully, yours will be here for yer birthday.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Known Mountainbiker

Still Waiting

Thanks for asking........no.

Well, today is my birthday and no it's not here. (insert sad face here)

I did get an email that said they're working on it. I filed that with the message that said they were working on it back in early September. (insert sarcastic face here)

All that I have to say is this frame better be the best damn thing since the titanium camp spork, because, as everyone knows and I'm sure Dean does as well, their customer service has much room for improvement. (insert a face that looks like I'm telling it like it is).

I'm not going to be one of those people who call up angry and cancel my order because that would just mean that somebody else would get their frame a little earlier. What I want is for everyone else to call and cancel their orders. (insert a face that looks like I'm giving those people a great idea and elbowing as to give them a nudge).

I'm sure that as soon as it gets here, I'll be the happiest person in the entire world. (insert a face that looks like I'm kissing ass because I don't want Dean to read this and make me wait even longer)

Caz

mtbr member
    I'm sure that as soon as it gets here, I'll be the happiest person in the entire world. (insert a face that looks like I'm kissing ass because I don't want Dean to read this and make me wait even longer)
    Caz
    Don't worry, you will, and you'll soon forget about how long it took to make. You get what you paid for, and in the case of Dean, you generally miss out on the CS but you do get a high quality frame. Seriously, I look at my colonel (after owning it 4+ years) and am just amazed at the quality for a $1150 custom ti frame. I never get tired of looking at it. I've never ridden a moots, but I've seen plenty, and to my eye the quality is the same. I'm sure that moots fanatics (or seven or IF fanatics) would have a cow, and say that the dean frames don't have any "soul," or something like that. Personally, I don't believe in magic. I believe in what my eyes see and my butt feels (that may not sound so good ). The colonel rocks, dude, so just be patient a little longer. And then a couple weeks more.

Known Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
    ... just be patient a little longer. And then a couple weeks more.
    LOL. Thanks for making me laugh.

This should be on Dean's "press 2 for product status" answering machine routing instead of the "leave your name and number and we'll call you back".

Caz

Known Mountainbiker

Still whining.....er...waiting.....

Can't say I'm suprised. Even though John told me that Tyler had pretty much completed the frame and they'd be ready to ship it at the end of this week........................no email or phone call. It's become kind of humorous in an insane sort of way.

Caz

Tree Hugger
    ........................no email or phone call. It's become kind of humorous in an insane sort of way.

Caz

That is so sad.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Don't worry, you will, and you'll soon forget about how long it took to make. You get what you paid for, and in the case of Dean, you generally miss out on the CS but you do get a high quality frame. Seriously, I look at my colonel (after owning it 4+ years) and am just amazed at the quality for a $1150 custom ti frame. I never get tired of looking at it. I've never ridden a moots, but I've seen plenty, and to my eye the quality is the same. I'm sure that moots fanatics (or seven or IF fanatics) would have a cow, and say that the dean frames don't have any "soul," or something like that. Personally, I don't believe in magic. I believe in what my eyes see and my butt feels (that may not sound so good ). The colonel rocks, dude, so just be patient a little longer. And then a couple weeks more.

I agree with Fat Elvis. I've had my Ace for about 8 months (give or take) and I still get a thrill riding it. I'm excited everytime I see it. It's the best ridign bike I've ever owned...and I've owned a lot of high quality bikes (e-gads!). After you're first ride, you'll be happy you waiting patiently for it.

I was lucky b/c john told me 6-8 weeks and it arrived at my door step 8 weeks and 1 day later. So it shipped on time. I think I'm one of the lucky few however.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Tree Hugger
    Can't say I'm suprised. Even though John told me that Tyler had pretty much completed the frame and they'd be ready to ship it at the end of this week........................no email or phone call. It's become kind of humorous in an insane sort of way.

Caz

Any news on the frame yet? Shipping should not take this long. Me thinks you were fed a plate of bull#%&@!!!

Known Mountainbiker

Still Waiting

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Any news on the frame yet? Shipping should not take this long. Me thinks you were fed a plate of bull#%&@!!!
    They told me (again) that the frame would be shipped yesterday or today.

If you believe this then you are just as big of a sucker as I would be if I believed it. I don't believe it. I want to believe it but I have no faith or reason. For 2 grand I could of taken the bike building school down in Ashland and built one myself. "Oh, then why don't you do that?" they'd say and I'd say that I'm too busy building other stuff for my customers that have promised dates. Deadlines. Timelines. Schedules. I'd be p***ing off a lot of customers if I took two weeks off. I'd probably lose customers if I did that not to mention the customers that I do have would most likely give me bad references if any at all. Heck, they'd probably take all the decals off my product so I wouldn't even get the free advertising. Know what I mean?

caz

Known Mountainbiker

Done waiting.

Patients- schmatients, I've been told by John four different times that the frame would be completed and shipped. I don't give a flying crap tossing monkey's ass how happy I'll be whenever it arrives, a deadline's a deadline and the folks at Dean are just a day away from passing it. Once it has passed, then I don't have a problem with waiting all winter. Dean isn't the only Ti frame builder in this country and come Monday, I may be on the phone ordering from one of the others.

Thanks for listening

caz

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As the owner of two Deans, a roadbike and a Colonel 29r I think you're doing the right thing. I'm very happy with the quality of my bikes, especially for the price. But I made it abundantly clear up front that I knew they had a bad reputation for delivery, but also a really good reputation for building quality bikes. I also gave them a date for delivery and asked if they could meet it, and they agreed they could. So I told them that if I didn't have the frame by that date to automatically assume my order cancelled. I love getting nice stuff for great prices, but there comes a time when a little more money is worth the peace of mind. If you're really going to go to another builder check out Quiring, Strong, and Kish. They all do great Ti work. My next bike is more than likely going to be from one of those 3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I feel your pain man. I ordered a Dean last year in the shop (I live in Boulder) and was able to show up on their doorstep once or twice instead of calling to figure out the delay. Seems race team builds always take priority. Anyway, I cancelled my order, built the same bike through Wrench Science http://www.wrenchscience.com/ and got some upgrades I hadn't planned on still paying $400 less than direct through Dean. Felt good still supporting the local builder by buying the Dean frame but not recommended buying direct. If you cancel and still decide on a Dean, mine was shipped from Wrench Science in a week.

mtbr member
    Patients- schmatients, I've been told by John four different times that the frame would be completed and shipped. I don't give a flying crap tossing monkey's ass how happy I'll be whenever it arrives, a deadline's a deadline and the folks at Dean are just a day away from passing it. Once it has passed, then I don't have a problem with waiting all winter. Dean isn't the only Ti frame builder in this country and come Monday, I may be on the phone ordering from one of the others.
    Dare I ask how this sordid tale turned out?

Known Mountainbiker
    Dare I ask how this sordid tale turned out?

Not a problem. I'll deliver the conclusion in say, 5 to 6 weeks. I'm working on it and just about ready to submit that reply.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    Cool, I'll check back early next year.

I wasn't Kung Fu fighting
    Jun 2005

Dean...

I used to work for a Dean dealer... They are well known for their constant, relentless, all consuming desire to lie about deadlines. They NEVER delivered a frame on time. I had customers wait 6 - 8 months, just to receive a frame that was supposed to be bright brushed, and it shows up matte. The quality of the frames was also a lottery. One frame would show up after 5 months, and be Moots quality... The next would look like it was welded in China by a child laborer. I wouldn't ride a Dean if it were free...

bub
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I am looking for a dean Duke, I am 5'11

Which size do you advise me ?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Stop and think!!

Read all of the above posts. The allure of Dean used to be the cost of their bikes.
    However, with their current price hike, there is no reason to purchase from them.
    Their customer service is p!ss poor and they do some questionable work. I sold my Duke to upgrade to a 3" FS bike. It was between the ACE and Titus Racer X. I chose the ACE because of the cost. STUPID CHOICE on my part!! The ACE shipped with the rear wheel alignment way off and had to be returned. When I just had to replace a hanger, it revealed the half a** fix they did.

I realize if you're looking for a softail your options are limited. If it were me I'd save the extra money and order a Seven Terres info here: http://www.sevencycles.com/mountain_...php?bike=teres

If it's too much $ you could look at Litespeed too, but they also have really poor service.

If I had my heart set on a softail and couldn't swing the cash for the Seven, I'd do a Cannondale Scaple (2.5" of pivotless travel) or an Orbea.

Good luck. And by all means find something else other than a Dean.
    If you do order, you've been warned.

M
    "Climbers don't hurt any less than others;
    they're just more comfortable being there."
    "Il Pirata"

Jul 2007
    well I am coming up with geometry orders for my new ionic....talked to john, I think you guys are too used to fast food and dont sit down for a nice meal any more. Impatient relax small builder big obligations. I think your mother hugged you all way too much. Ill be sure to post a big honkin picture of it when it comes in, I just hope i am still riding by then hahaha no seriously, I understand the nature of the beast. my friend runs a small polishing shop. the work nis absolutely beautiful, but if a guy comes in before you with 50 pieces of trim, and the week before that a guy came in with a blower,heads,ect. you get my point the wait gets ya. just a thought

Known Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by beeblebrox
    well I am coming up with geometry orders for my new ionic....talked to john, I think you guys are too used to fast food and dont sit down for a nice meal any more. Impatient relax small builder big obligations. I think your mother hugged you all way too much. Ill be sure to post a big honkin picture of it when it comes in, I just hope i am still riding by then hahaha no seriously, I understand the nature of the beast. my friend runs a small polishing shop. the work nis absolutely beautiful, but if a guy comes in before you with 50 pieces of trim, and the week before that a guy came in with a blower,heads,ect. you get my point the wait gets ya. just a thought
    That's all fine and dandy about your mom hugging you perfectly and stuff but when I slap down a couple Gs and I'm told the bike will be here in 6 weeks for an event and then the 8th week rolls by and no delivery and then the 10th week rolls by and they don't return my phone calls....... Alls we're saying is, if you can handle crappy customer service then this bike company is for you. It's not about waiting a couple extra weeks for delivery; it's about their customer service.

Caz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davecolorado
    I'm pretty sure a guy named Stephan wrote that and I am pretty sure he never went to thailand. However like the posts above I have to agree. It really sucks buying your dream bike only to have it crash down and fall to pieces because they just cannot get thier crap together. No one I know will ever go near those bikes especially for racing because they just cannot garantee the turnarounds for delivery or repairs. Someone told me that it all has to do with the machinist they had? Anyways I am speaking from experience and I can honestly say put your money into a professional reputible company that builds all bikes and then buy thier high end model. Just some honest advice from someone who has been riding and racing along time.
    Sincerly
    Dave
    Thanks for sharing, Dave. That was really special. By the way, it's spelled "their."

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bub
    I am looking for a dean Duke, I am 5'11

Which size do you advise me ?
    thanks
    Hey bub,
    I'm 5'11" and have a Medium Duke. I would say you could make either a Med or a Large work pretty easily. The Med is a nice size for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Dean/Ionic

Waiting........
    Did you ever get your bike?

I put a deposit down on a Ionic Johnny Rotten back on April 1st and they told me 6-8 weeks. It's now 13 weeks and counting. I get a hold of John and he says "I have to talk to the builder, I'll call you back". No call.

This is getting frustrating...

Known Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaffvail
    Did you ever get your bike?

Yeah, It definitely took a lot longer than they said. They made a lot of excuses (when I was able to get a hold of them) of why it was late. They kept telling me, "the end of the week" and "they're finishing it up right now" and stuff like that only to be told another excuse later. Just really bad customer service, period. If they were honest; there'd be no issue.

With that said, I love my frame. I have a pretty sweet xcFS that I rarely ride. I've ridden the FS once in the last year and I generally ride at least twice a week. It's awesome.

Would I buy another frame from Dean? Nope*. Would I tell people to buy a Dean? Not without telling them that their customer service sucks first. But I think this is common knowledge by now.

Caz

* This frame should last me a lifetime.
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

Members who have read this thread: 0